What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***MNF - Raiders at Lions*** (-8.0/46.0) (1 Viewer)

BobbyLayne

Footballguy
@Ministry of Pain

Sorry for jumping the line, but like an artist who paints bc it just has to come out, welp, I have to write about some offensive lineman this morning.

@FBG Moderator
@Joe Bryant

What are we? What's our core foundation?

What are we? What makes us what we are, and what we're going to be? I think it's that right there.
{points at wall where the word G R I T is painted in five foot high letters}

GRIT.
It's what we started with last year, guys, all you guys that were in here. It's our core foundation, man, GRIT, and what does it mean? Really, in a nutshell, I think it means this: we'll go a little bit longer, we'll push a little harder, and we'll think a little deeper and be a little sharper. To me it means we'll play you anywhere - we'll play you on grass, we'll play you turf, hell we'll play you in a ****ing landfill. It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if you have one *** check and three toes, I will beat your ***.

The Motor City Road Graders
  • Left Tackle Taylor Decker
  • Left Guard Jonah Jackson (OUT) Halapoulivaati Vaitai (QUESTIONABLE) Kayode Awosika
  • Center Frank Ragnow (DOUBTFUL) Graham Glasgow
  • Left Guard Halapoulivaati Vaitai (QUESTIONABLE) Graham Glasgow (likely playing C) Colby Sorsdal
  • Right Tackle Penei Sewell Dan Skipper Matt Nelson
Wait, that looks confusing!

Hey, you should try keeping track week to week.

Game
Left TackleLeft GuardCenterRight GuardRight Tackle
Week 1 at Kansas City TNFTaylor DeckerJonah JacksonFrank RagnowHalapoulivaati VaitaiPenei Sewell
Week 2 SeattlePenei SewellJonah JacksonFrank RagnowHalapoulivaati Vaitai(knee)-Graham GlasgowMatt Nelson
Week 3 AtlantaPenei SewellJonah JacksonFrank RagnowGraham GlasgowMatt Nelson (knee)-Dan Skipper (ankle)-Colby Sorsdal
Week 4 at Green Bay TNFTaylor DeckerJonah JacksonFrank RagnowGraham GlasgowPenei Sewell
Week 5 CarolinaTaylor DeckerJonah Jackson-Kayode AwosikaFrank RagnowGraham GlasgowPenei Sewell
Week 6 at Tampa BayTaylor DeckerKayode AwosikaFrank RagnowGraham GlasgowPenei Sewell
Week 7 at BaltimoreTaylor DeckerHalapoulivaati VaitaiFrank RagnowGraham GlasgowPenei Sewell
Week 8 Las Vegas MNFTaylor DeckerKayode AwosikaGraham Glasgowwho knows hoping Hal VaitaiPenei Sewell

It's one of the better offensive lines in the National Football League. This has been building for awhile, because they've been together for awhile. In Dan Campbell's three years in Detroit the presumptive starting OL has not changed. But during that 41 game span, they have played together as a starting unit exactly one time - Opening Night, 2023. This write-up won't be about the starting five, although all of them will be covered, but it's about understanding they need(ed) all 10 of them who made the 69 man roster - the 53-man, plus the 16 players on the practice squad. They need every one of them.

That's how they roll in Detroit. They've got a couple guys with superstar talent, but this is not a team of stars.

#68 LT Taylor Decker
Ohio State
6'7" 318
1st round (16th pick) 2016 draft 102 starts
Career PFF Grades: 82.1-65.3-70.6-75.9-82.0-75.5-74.4-70.3
Career PBLK Grades: 82.1-73.2-80.6-76.3-85.8-84.0-76.5-78.5
2023 PBLK ranks 22nd out of 120 graded Tackles
8 year starter at LT

#60 G/C Graham Glasgow
Michigan
6'6" 315
3rd round 95th pick 2016 draft 96 starts
2023 PFF Grade 81.6 ranks 5th out of 108 graded Guards
Drafted by Lions, resigned after 3 yr stint with Broncos. 3769 career snaps/59 starts at LG/RG, 2370 career snap/37 starts C

#77 C Frank "Wongar" Ragnow
Arkansas
6'5" 310
1st round (20th pick) 2018 draft 72 starts
2022 Pro Bowl
RBLK grade - 5th
PBLK grade - 16th
BLK Grade - 4th (out of 49 C)
When healthy ranks with Jason Kelce and Creed Humphrey as one of the best centers. Calls the protection assignments pre-snap. World class fisherman and avid outdoorsman. Doubtful (calf), plays every snap despite inoperable big toe injury that requires weekly maintenance.

#73 LG Jonah Jackson
Ohio State
6'4" 311
3rd round (75th pick) 202 pick 50 starts
2021 Pro Bowl
PFF Grade ranks 35th out of 108 G
Currently on injury report with high ankle sprain that has kept him out of the last 2-1/2 games.

#72 RG Halapoulivaati Vaitai
TCU
6'6" 322
5th round (164th pick) by Philadelphia; signed as FA 2020 48 starts
PFF Grade ranks 17th out of 108 G
After starting at RG in 2020 & 2021, missed all of 2022 with a back injury. Coming back L4-L5 Lumbar spinal fusion, back has been acting up this week and it is unknown if he plays Monday.

#58 RT Penei Sewell
Oregon
6'5" 335
1st round (7th pick) 2021 draft 40 starts
Highest graded RT in the NFL
PFF Grade 81.1 7th out of 119 T
RBLK Grade 77.0 13th out of 120
PBLK Grade 84.2 7th out of 120
First pick of the Brad Holmes-Dan Campbell era, team captain, turned 23 earlier this month. Nasty player. His matchup with Maxx Crosby will be epic. Hasn't allowed a sack in 15 games going back to Week 10 of 2022.

Those are the six starters, but on this team - bc literally every week someone is banged up - the reserve offensive lineman play a vital role. One of them is often starting, this week it's Yode getting his 4th career start.

#74 LG Kayode Awosika
Buffalo
6'3" 315
UDFA 2022 draft signed by Philadelphia (2nd most udfa GTD money), signed September 2022 off Eagles practice squad 3 starts
PFF Grade ranks 34th out of 108 G
One of seven Nigerian players on the team. Has improved dramatically this year. Started 2 games last year and will make his 4th career start in his 17th NFL game on MNF.

#70 RT (RG) Dan Skipper
Arkansas
6'9" 330
UDFA who has played on 10 NFL teams (20+ contracts) has never made a team out of TC 5 starts
PFF Grade 77.9 ranks 14th out of 120 T
PBLK Grade 79.3 ranks 17th out 120 T
Started 5 games last year - including his first NFL start v WAS when he became the tallest player to ever start at guard. Serves at the 6th OL in 13 personnel, only TEN runs more 3 TE formations.

#75 RG (RT) Colby Sorsdal
William & Mary
6'3" 315
5th round 154th pick 2023 Draft
PFF Grade ranks 97th out of 120 t
Developmental rookie who played well on 36 snaps Week 3 as the 4th string RT when 2 players were injured in game. Though he was a RT in college he repped mostly at G this summer. The Lions routinely mix up reps so all of OL have the ability to multiple positions if required. Solid contributor each week on Special Teams, active every game if an emergency arises. There is a non-zero chance he gets the start at RG this week.

#67 T Matt Nelson
Iowa
6'7" 315
UDFA 2020 converted OL after playing only DL in college 14 starts
PFF PBLK ranks 41st out of 120 T
Last year's swing T and 6th OL in 13 personnel formations; season ending IR (knee.)

Last edited:

other stuff about this matchup....

Lions pass offense (7th in DVOA) vs. Raiders pass defense (21st)​

The Lions have gained more yards than their opp average allowed in 6 of 7 games (lone exception being GB when we pounded them into submission) and our QB passer rating has been higher than opp allowed to other teams 4 times. Overall rankings are certainly lower this week than they were last week, but this still very much looks like a top-10, if not top-five passing offense in the league. They rank:

• 8th in drop back EPA
  • 9th in drop back success rate
  • 11th in yards per attempt
  • 9th in passer rating
  • 5th in QBR
  • 4th in PFF grade
Pass protection remains very solid, too, despite last week’s blitz success from Baltimore. As a team, Detroit ranks second in PFF pass blocking grades and 11th in ESPN’s pass block win rate.

Player to watch: Crosby vs. Sewell. What else is it going to be? Sure there are some interesting matchups in the secondary, and questions about who will cover Amon-Ra St. Brown, but this is truly the marquee matchup of the entire game. You have the pressure leader in Crosby—averaging 6.1 pressures a game—going up against Penei Sewell, who has allowed a league-low three pressures all season.

BIG Advantage: Lions The Lions’ offensive line could give Detroit some pass protection issues this week if the Raiders move around. Regardless, I expect the Lions to get back to the ground game this week, meaning this matchup will have a lesser hold on the overall outcome. I have confidence if Detroit needs to pick up a first down through the air, they should be able to do it against a mediocre-at-best Raiders defense.

Lions run offense (8th) vs. Raiders run defense (28th)​

The Lions have had to move away from the run game in the past two weeks, both due to game situation and the injury to David Montgomery.

This week presents another challenge to Detroit’s running game: offensive line shifts. Through two practices this week, the Lions have been missing center Frank Ragnow, who is dealing with a calf injury. It’s unclear if he’ll be out this week or not, but that would be a massive blow to the Lions offense, as he is the third-highest-graded center in the league with the fifth-highest run blocking grade.

While Graham Glasgow is perfectly capable of sliding over and playing center, the problem then becomes the two other guard spots. With Jonah Jackson not practicing with an ankle injury and Halapoulivaati Vaitai also dealing with a new back injury, the Lions could be starting the likes of Kayode Awosika (3 career starts, 61.5 PFF grade) and rookie Colby Sorsdal (0 career starts).

That is less than ideal and if that’s the case, I’m not sure how much we can draw on the following statistics to predict Monday’s results. Regardless, let’s take a look because Detroit’s running game has been quite solid all year.

They rank ninth in EPA, 11th in success rate, sixth in adjusted line yards, 16th in yards per carry, and fifth in rushing touchdowns.

Jahmyr Gibbs is expected to be the lead back on Monday, but there’s not a ton of data on him yet. Sure, he is overall 247 rushing yards and 4.9 yards per carry look good, but much of that has come in the second half of games, where the contest has no longer been competitive. Thus far, Gibbs actually has -11 rushing yards over expected per NextGenStats, meaning he’s been just around average in running the ball so far.

Want to know why the Raiders are giving up so few passing yards? Well, because just about every opponent has been able to run the ball on them. They’ve given up over 100 yards five times this year and over 150 three times. All but one opponent has been able to rush for at least 4.2 yards per carry.

All the advanced statistics point to this being a pretty horrible rushing defense. They rank 30th in adjusted line yards, 31st in rush EPA allowed, and 31st in success rate. They’re ceding an average of 4.4 yards per carry (22nd) and rank 21st in power success, allowing conversions 70 percent of the time.

Player to watch: John Jenkins. The Raiders don’t have a ton of great interior defenders, but veteran John Jenkins is having a decent year. Going up against what could be a bunch of Lions backup linemen, Jenkins is the guy to worry about most in the run game. His 13 run stops match Crosby's and is tied for eighth most in the NFL among defensive tackles.

Advantage: Lions On a typical week, this advantage would be much higher, but it’s hard to have a lot of confidence in the Lions rushing attack without Montgomery and potentially without the team’s top three guards. Still, if the Green Bay Packers were able to rush that well without Aaron Jones against the Raiders and the Steelers (one of the worst rushing attacks in football) eclipsed 100 yards, Detroit should be able to get it going.

Raiders pass offense (28th) vs. Lions pass defense (9th)​

The Raiders haven’t been able to pass the ball efficiently all season. They’ve been noticeably worse without Jimmy Garoppolo in the lineup, but even with him suited up, they’ve only managed a game with a passer rating above 90 once, and it was against one of the worst pass defenses in the league.

It’s completely flabbergasting how they’re this bad. They have an average quarterback, a top-five receiver in Davante Adams, and a strong pass-protecting offensive line. The Raiders rank fourth in PFF pass blocking, fifth in ESPN’s pass block win rate, and have the lowest pressure percentage in the league.

For whatever reason, though, it’s just not all coming together. Poor quarterback play is certainly part of the blame. In his five starts, Garoppolo ranks 15th in yards per attempt (7.3), 21st in passer rating (82.6), and dead last in total interceptions (eight).

And that last part is where the true problem lies: turnovers. The Raiders have turned the ball over a league-leading 15 times. They’ve also been terrible in the red zone, ranking 30th in points per red zone trip.

The Lions pass defense has been mostly good this year, but there are a few very concerning games and a clear pattern emerging. The Lions were absolutely blown out of the water by both Geno Smith and Lamar Jackson—two mobile, veteran quarterbacks. Their best performances have all come against young, indecisive quarterbacks. That’s not to take anything away from Detroit’s pass defense, but they certainly have a type that can hurt them.

Thankfully, Garoppolo isn’t that type. He does all of his work in-structure and has never finished a season with more than 62 rushing yards. Breathe easy, Lions fans.

That said, I wouldn’t expect this to be a game where the Lions generate a ton of pressure. Detroit only has 15 sacks on the season, and 12 of those came in two games. So it will be on the Lions’ secondary to excel at coverage, and that has been a mixed bag as of late.

With Jerry Jacobs and Brian Branch back in the lineup, it should help, but the Lions still rank just 16th in PFF’s coverage grade.

Overall, though, the numbers look above average. Detroit ranks 14th in dropback EPA allowed, 14th in success rate, 17th in yards per attempt, 15th in passer rating, and eighth in passes defended. There is some clear regression to the mean happening here, but I think it’s fair to call this Lions pass defense at least average maybe a little better.

Player to watch: Davante Adams. The Raiders No. 1 receiver has been vocal about not getting the ball enough, and it clearly got through. Last week, he was targeted 12 times—though he only turned that into 57 yards and seven catches. Surprisingly, he only has one game of 100+ yards this season, but it was a dominant one in which he caught 13 passes for 172 yards and two scores. It’s a reminder that he can single-handedly take over a game when everything is working.

Advantage: Lions I think a little of the shine on Detroit’s pass defense has worn off, and I am a bit concerned about how they will generate pressure against a good offensive line. And I just can’t shake the fact that this is a talented offensive roster for the Raiders, and at some point they have to figure this out, right? Then again, this is what happens when you pluck a “genius” from the Bill Belichick tree.

Raiders run offense (32nd) vs. Lions run defense (8th)​

Not only have the Raiders rushed for under 3.5 yards per carry in all but two contests and held under 70 rushing yards in four of seven games, but they have done so against some of the worst run defenses in the league. The Broncos are 31st in run defense DVOA. The Packers are 26th. The Chargers are 23rd and the Steelers are 19th.

It’s been awful, and again, the results are puzzling. We’re talking about Josh Jacobs, who led the NFL in rushing yards last year, now averaging just 49.6 rushing yards a game and an embarrassing 2.9 yards per carry.

Clearly, there is some fault to the offensive line here. The Raiders are averaging just 1.8 yards before contact (31st), rank 30th in adjusted line yards, and 24th in run block win rate.

Player to watch: Alim McNeill. McNeill has the highest run defense grade (80.5) on the team among their front seven and ranks sixth among all interior defenders.

The largest Advantage of this matchup: Lions I don’t know if the Raiders will try to stay committed to the run game, but every statistic in the book suggests they should stay the hell away from this matchup. It’s about as lopsided as it gets. The only reason this isn’t a +4 or +5 is because of last week’s regression from Detroit and the fact that I think the Raiders may just try to throw it 50 times this week.

In 2021, a depleted Lions team lost in Denver 10-38 to fall to 1-11-1. The next week Detroit thumped the 10-3 Arizona Cardinals 30-12, a game in which they led 17-0 at the half.

In 2022, a surging Lions team got blown off the field in Carolina 23-37 to fall out of the playoff picture. They responded with a 41-10 shellacking of the Bears and finished off the season in style at Lambeau Field 20-16.

In 2023, Detroit followed up it's epic win in KC - the first NFC team to beat Mahomes at home in 19 tries - with an abysmal 31-37 OT loss to the Seahawks. Week 3 was a dominant 20-6 win over the Falcons, the first of four straight wins by 14 or more.

6-38 last week, in one of the most embarrassing and lopsided games ever seen. After 3 straight 3 n Outs, the Ravens had outgained the Lions 315-13 and were down 0-28 with 7:45 left in the 2nd quarter. I was in the 16th row surrounded by Honolulu blue and I don't think any of us can explain what happened. The OL, the QB, the overhyped speedster, the back 7 - everyone played like dog poo. They didn't bury the tape. They went through it meticulously and identified all the MAs. They put on the pads and bubble helmets and had a hard week of intensse good on good reps.

We have seen how this team responds to adversity. We have witnessed, over and over again, that they embody the next man up mentality as well as any franchise in the league. Because they know who they are, and they know where they want to go.

G R I T

Lions 28, Raiders 17

I think this will be a higher scoring game. A bounce back game for Detroit, but the Raiders are a much better team with Jimmy G, and he's back this week. I'll say Lions win 33-21.

For Vegas, I think Davante Adams bounces back after a rough stretch by his standards. He's still one of the 3 best WRs in the NFL. I think the Raiders OL keeps Jimmy G mostly upright against what I believe to be just an ok pass rush.

For the Lions, this feels like one of those games where you just watch and ask, "why aren't they doubling Amon-Ra?" I think the Lions continue to skew slightly pass heavy with Monty out, and the Raiders being more vulnerable against the pass.

Looks like a mismatch in this one with angry Lions ready to bounce back from horrid performance in Baltimore.
Raiders haven't hit their stride yet. Will they ever this year?
I don't think they'll hit it this week. Maybe keep it close for a bit on National television.
But when it's all said and done
Nostradumbass says...

Detroit City- 38
Lost Vegas- 23

Raiders don’t score over 20. We don’t have the skill position players to possibly pull off that kind of fear. I mean, no-names like Adams, Jabobs, Meyers….meh. Low scoring game…only for the raiders.

Lions: 27
Raiders: 17

WR Amon-Ra St Brown (illness) has been added to the Game Status Report and is listed as Questionable for Monday’s game vs Las Vegas.

ARSB has missed two NFL games in his 3 seasons
  • 2022 SEA 45-48 loss
  • 2023 CAR 38-24 win
I think the offense can take up the slack, they kind of have excess capacity built in. When he’s on the field everything is predicated on scheming him open but they don’t lack for speed or playmakers when he’s not available.

Sucks for the ARSB managers though.

Detroit with a golden opportunity to solidify their NFC North lead and move back to the #2 seed, which is where they began the week. Seattle is currently the deuce and holds the H2H tiebreaker.

Pretty important for them to hold serve here, having already blown one home appearance. They only have 8 home games this year, with 4 more after the Week 9 bye.

Lovely remaining schedule that could lead to daydreaming if we weren’t one game at a time kinda fans:
  • 8. Raiders
  • 9. Bye Week
  • 10. at Chargers (coming off MNF road game in NJ)
  • 11. Bears
  • 12. Packers on Thanksgiving
  • 13. at Saints
  • 14. at Bears
  • 15. Broncos
  • 16. at Vikings
  • 17. at Cowboys
  • 18. Vikings

A #2 seed would be an incredible accomplishment, but first things first. Keep the main thing the main thing. Nothing matters more than winning the North. Do that and more good things might happen.

As a Lions fan, we’ve been in similar situations before. Many examples but the most hurtful for me was 2013 when we started 6-3, Vikings were on their way to a 10 loss season, Bears and Packers were a game back with BOTH starting QBs out. The first division title in 20 years seemed like a lock.
  • Detroit lost 6 of 7 - a year after. Losing their last 8 / which cost Jim Swartz his job
  • Bears went 3-3 under Josh McCown to move past the Lions, then reinstated Jay Cutler so he could choke it away in the last two.
  • Packers were in the midst of an 0-4-1 stretch that saw them fall to 5-6-1 with a Thanksgiving loss to Detroit (who still had a 1 game lead over the Bears and 1.5 over the Pack.) GB won two of three before Rodgers led GB from behind 3 times in a wild win over CHI to secure yet another NFC North Crown.
1994-2022 NFC Central-NFC North Titles:
  • Green Bay 16
  • Minnesota 7
  • Chicago 5
  • Tampa Bay 1
  • Detroit 0
29 years.

WR Amon-Ra St Brown (illness) has been added to the Game Status Report and is listed as Questionable for Monday’s game vs Las Vegas.
I think he plays ... or at least praying he does as I have him left and am down 10! At home, on Monday night - he will grit it out!

Excited to watch the Lions tonight. Haven't been able to view them since week 1.

I have a glitch in my Sling streaming service; I have it set to record “every new and rerun broadcast of NFL games”; I set that up to capture all the NFLN rebroadcasts during the week.

It should all also capture all the local market games on Fox (NFC eastern seaboard, usually the Giants) + the late afternoon Fox national game. +SNF on NBC +MNF on ESPN. Was expecting maybe 4 games a week.

Except I get like 12 and that’s before the NFLN rebroadcasts. It records my local Fox (NFC) affiliate game…plus every game from random affiliates all over the country. I didn’t notice this Week 1.

Week 2 I started surfing the dvr while it was recording. It’s like I have 1/2 an NFL ticket at no cost. Detroit is having a magical year and I’m not missing any snaps. Win the lottery pick, bruh.

Ssshhhhhh don’t tell anyone

:lol:

Eric Woodyard

QB Jared Goff to ESPN on Amon-Ra St. Brown: "Certain guys are different. And I want to make a comparison, but I don't want it to sound crazy, but the way that he is, in the weight room and on the field are very similar in my experience with Aaron Donald.”

Excited to watch the Lions tonight. Haven't been able to view them since week 1.

I have a glitch in my Sling streaming service; I have it set to record “every new and rerun broadcast of NFL games”; I set that up to capture all the NFLN rebroadcasts during the week.

It should all also capture all the local market games on Fox (NFC eastern seaboard, usually the Giants) + the late afternoon Fox national game. +SNF on NBC +MNF on ESPN. Was expecting maybe 4 games a week.

Except I get like 12 and that’s before the NFLN rebroadcasts. It records my local Fox (NFC) affiliate game…plus every game from random affiliates all over the country. I didn’t notice this Week 1.

Week 2 I started surfing the dvr while it was recording. It’s like I have 1/2 an NFL ticket at no cost. Detroit is having a magical year and I’m not missing any snaps. Win the lottery pick, bruh.

I like football, but apparently, not nearly as much as you do.

Are you retired? I stopped playing golf. Should probably write a book or something.

I also work with glass blowing, glass fusion, painting, writing poetry, and spend a significant number of calories researching FF which provides me no meaningful benefit.

Are you retired? I stopped playing golf. Should probably write a book or something.

I also work with glass blowing, glass fusion, painting, writing poetry, and spend a significant number of calories researching FF which provides me no meaningful benefit.

No, I'm not retired. I work a ton of hours during the week.

I once billed 2800 hours in a year. You have to work close to 3500 hours as a CPA to bill that many (travel, admin, training, etc takes up 15-20%.)

My normal in my late 20s, 30s and up to 45 was 70-90 per week. First as a public accountant and then as a finance manager/VP.

Once I got to C-level I cut back to 55 hours a week to have some semblance of a life. Haven't worked FT since the end of 2018.

The last 5 years was full of other challenges but that's another thread lol.

Raiders pass offense (28th) vs. Lions pass defense (9th)​

The Raiders haven’t been able to pass the ball efficiently all season. They’ve been noticeably worse without Jimmy Garoppolo in the lineup, but even with him suited up, they’ve only managed a game with a passer rating above 90 once, and it was against one of the worst pass defenses in the league.

It’s completely flabbergasting how they’re this bad. They have an average quarterback, a top-five receiver in Davante Adams, and a strong pass-protecting offensive line. The Raiders rank fourth in PFF pass blocking, fifth in ESPN’s pass block win rate, and have the lowest pressure percentage in the league.

For whatever reason, though, it’s just not all coming together. Poor quarterback play is certainly part of the blame. In his five starts, Garoppolo ranks 15th in yards per attempt (7.3), 21st in passer rating (82.6), and dead last in total interceptions (eight).

And that last part is where the true problem lies: turnovers. The Raiders have turned the ball over a league-leading 15 times. They’ve also been terrible in the red zone, ranking 30th in points per red zone trip.

The Lions pass defense has been mostly good this year, but there are a few very concerning games and a clear pattern emerging. The Lions were absolutely blown out of the water by both Geno Smith and Lamar Jackson—two mobile, veteran quarterbacks. Their best performances have all come against young, indecisive quarterbacks. That’s not to take anything away from Detroit’s pass defense, but they certainly have a type that can hurt them.

Thankfully, Garoppolo isn’t that type. He does all of his work in-structure and has never finished a season with more than 62 rushing yards. Breathe easy, Lions fans.

That said, I wouldn’t expect this to be a game where the Lions generate a ton of pressure. Detroit only has 15 sacks on the season, and 12 of those came in two games. So it will be on the Lions’ secondary to excel at coverage, and that has been a mixed bag as of late.

With Jerry Jacobs and Brian Branch back in the lineup, it should help, but the Lions still rank just 16th in PFF’s coverage grade.

Overall, though, the numbers look above average. Detroit ranks 14th in dropback EPA allowed, 14th in success rate, 17th in yards per attempt, 15th in passer rating, and eighth in passes defended. There is some clear regression to the mean happening here, but I think it’s fair to call this Lions pass defense at least average maybe a little better.

Player to watch: Davante Adams. The Raiders No. 1 receiver has been vocal about not getting the ball enough, and it clearly got through. Last week, he was targeted 12 times—though he only turned that into 57 yards and seven catches. Surprisingly, he only has one game of 100+ yards this season, but it was a dominant one in which he caught 13 passes for 172 yards and two scores. It’s a reminder that he can single-handedly take over a game when everything is working.

Advantage: Lions I think a little of the shine on Detroit’s pass defense has worn off, and I am a bit concerned about how they will generate pressure against a good offensive line. And I just can’t shake the fact that this is a talented offensive roster for the Raiders, and at some point they have to figure this out, right? Then again, this is what happens when you pluck a “genius” from the Bill Belichick tree.

Raiders run offense (32nd) vs. Lions run defense (8th)​

Not only have the Raiders rushed for under 3.5 yards per carry in all but two contests and held under 70 rushing yards in four of seven games, but they have done so against some of the worst run defenses in the league. The Broncos are 31st in run defense DVOA. The Packers are 26th. The Chargers are 23rd and the Steelers are 19th.

It’s been awful, and again, the results are puzzling. We’re talking about Josh Jacobs, who led the NFL in rushing yards last year, now averaging just 49.6 rushing yards a game and an embarrassing 2.9 yards per carry.

Clearly, there is some fault to the offensive line here. The Raiders are averaging just 1.8 yards before contact (31st), rank 30th in adjusted line yards, and 24th in run block win rate.

Player to watch: Alim McNeill. McNeill has the highest run defense grade (80.5) on the team among their front seven and ranks sixth among all interior defenders.

The largest Advantage of this matchup: Lions I don’t know if the Raiders will try to stay committed to the run game, but every statistic in the book suggests they should stay the hell away from this matchup. It’s about as lopsided as it gets. The only reason this isn’t a +4 or +5 is because of last week’s regression from Detroit and the fact that I think the Raiders may just try to throw it 50 times this week.

In 2021, a depleted Lions team lost in Denver 10-38 to fall to 1-11-1. The next week Detroit thumped the 10-3 Arizona Cardinals 30-12, a game in which they led 17-0 at the half.

In 2022, a surging Lions team got blown off the field in Carolina 23-37 to fall out of the playoff picture. They responded with a 41-10 shellacking of the Bears and finished off the season in style at Lambeau Field 20-16.

In 2023, Detroit followed up it's epic win in KC - the first NFC team to beat Mahomes at home in 19 tries - with an abysmal 31-37 OT loss to the Seahawks. Week 3 was a dominant 20-6 win over the Falcons, the first of four straight wins by 14 or more.

6-38 last week, in one of the most embarrassing and lopsided games ever seen. After 3 straight 3 n Outs, the Ravens had outgained the Lions 315-13 and were down 0-28 with 7:45 left in the 2nd quarter. I was in the 16th row surrounded by Honolulu blue and I don't think any of us can explain what happened. The OL, the QB, the overhyped speedster, the back 7 - everyone played like dog poo. They didn't bury the tape. They went through it meticulously and identified all the MAs. They put on the pads and bubble helmets and had a hard week of intensse good on good reps.

We have seen how this team responds to adversity. We have witnessed, over and over again, that they embody the next man up mentality as well as any franchise in the league. Because they know who they are, and they know where they want to go.

G R I T

Lions 28, Raiders 17
I'm gonna go back and actually read these posts, but only if the Raiders win tonight.

Lions 44 Raiders 17

Is there a game tonight? Anyone with a rooting interest?
Football fanatic but might sit this one out since non of my games will be decided tonight.

Who am I kidding? I'll watch at least the first half. Have a friend who is a Lions fanatic so go Lions

I once billed 2800 hours in a year. You have to work close to 3500 hours as a CPA to bill that many (travel, admin, training, etc takes up 15-20%.)

My normal in my late 20s, 30s and up to 45 was 70-90 per week. First as a public accountant and then as a finance manager/VP.

Once I got to C-level I cut back to 55 hours a week to have some semblance of a life. Haven't worked FT since the end of 2018.

The last 5 years was full of other challenges but that's another thread lol.

I'm a lawyer. I bill around 2300 hours a year. Since COVID, I've been working from home so it's easier to hit my numbers without working crazy hours.

Need 59 points between Gibbs and ASB.

And Laporta to score negative points.

Totally doable.

wrong thread

;)

Eric Schlitt Pride of Detroit:

A key component of the Raiders' lack of success is the team's efficiency in several important areas. While the offense is struggling with execution, the defense has been average to slightly below average in creating opportunities and getting stops at key times.

Here’s a look at some of the critical categories that teams need to have success in order to consistently win games, and how the Raiders have performed:
  • Points scored per game: 16.0 (30th in the NFL)
  • Turnovers per game: 2.1 (31st) — Interceptions on 4.98% of throws (32nd)
  • Turnovers created per game: 0.7 (30th)
  • Turnover differential: -1.4 (32nd)
  • 3rd down success: 35% (25th)
  • Opponent 3rd down success: 45.6% (26th)
  • Touchdown success in red zone: 41.7% (25th)
  • Opponent TD success in red zone: 73.9% (29th)
For the Lions, it’s a matter of not getting complacent. Last week, the Lions fell into their old bad habit of trying to do too much instead of focusing on their individual assignments. This week, that issue needs to be resolved.

“We (had) one guy mess it up and he’s not doing what he’s supposed to be doing and then because of that, the next time, the guy who does know what he’s supposed to be doing is going to do his job too,” Campbell explained why the Lions struggled against the Ravens. “And because of that, then we get beat here and it’s a snowball effect. And by the time we get in the second half, we’ve got guys who are trying to be heroes. And the only way to get back in it is just, ‘do your job.’”

Do your job, get back to basics, and don’t give the Raiders anything easy. If the Lions can stay disciplined, they hold a distinct advantage in each of the critical categories noted above.

Detroit has opted to wear "Food Lion" logo helmets
I guess that's what that is

New helmets this year.

New uniforms next year.

(goofy league rules....can't change both in the same year for some silly reason)

The logo is from 1961-70.

The one I grew up with.

Portsmouth/Detroit Logo through the years

Nugget of minutia I forgot to add: There was no logo from 1934-51. The Lions wore all silver helmets, like this throwback.

The new helmet tonight is part of the salute to the 90th Season Anniversary. Portsmouth 1930-33, Detroit 1934-2023.

Gridiron Heroes

Forward down the field
A charging team that will not yield
And when the Blue and Silver wave
Stand and cheer the brave

(Rah, Rah, Rah)

Go hard win the game
With honor you will keep your fame
Down the field and gain
A Lion victory!

G0 Lions!

Troy off to a flying start

“Ben Johnson took over the play calling mid-way through last season.” - Troy

Ben Johnson was named the OC February 2022. Dan Campbell assumed the play calling halfway through the 2021 season; behind the scenes, TE Coach Ben Johnson was heavily involved in the weekly game planning.

Jahmyr looks good early.

Based on the last 2 weeks if Detroit didn't sign Montgomery Gibbs would have paid off those 3rd and 4th round picks in spades.

Gibbs best move so far was stopping his route, turning around and trying to pick up a blitzing defender on his way to Goff
Goff managed to throw the ball away, no intentional grounding called
Showed maturity on Gibbs part

This whole 1st Drive has been ALL Gibbs
You don't see that very often by most OC/HC these days

Kayode Awosika with his second start at LG, 4th of his career. In for injured Pro Bowler Jonah Jackson.

Colby Sorsdal making his first start. Filling in for Graham Glasgow, who slid to center to cover for injured Pro Bowler Frank Ragnow.

NMU + NMU

Users who are viewing this thread