What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mods delete (1 Viewer)

Wingnut

Footballguy
With the NFC South the way it is, we could see an 8-9 division winner in the playoffs getting a home playoff game, which brings up the question:

Should a sub .500 division winner be allowed to make the playoffs because they're in a terrible division? Or even a .500 team? I say no.

Hee's my simple solution. Feel free to pick it apart, because maybe I didn't think it through or I missed an obvious flaw.

So...if a team wins their division with a .500 or worse record, that division doesn't get a representative in the playoffs. Sorry about your luck, but if you can't finish .500 or better, you stay home. That team would then be replaced by another wild card team basically, which would be the team with the next best record that isn't already in the playoffs.

So you have the 3 division winners with winning records, and the next best 4 records to be the wildcards, and the non-division winner with the best record gets the 4 seed and a home playoff game.

That's it. Yes, people are gonna argue that division winners should get a spot no matter what, but as history shows, .500 and worst teams just don't go far in the post season, so let's 86 em.

Discuss.

Last edited:
Ugh. Always someone every year who has this 'groundbreaking opinion' and starts a thread on it.

This happens far less than you think it does. It shouldn't be changed.

EDT: For reference, it's happened 3 times in the history of the league.

Ugh. Always someone every year who has this 'groundbreaking opinion' and starts a thread on it.

This happens far less than you think it does. It shouldn't be changed.

EDT: For reference, it's happened 3 times in the history of the league.

Keep scrolling then

Winning your division should mean something. Who cares that a 8-9 team gets in and a 9-8 team gets left out?

Now if you want to take away the guaranteed home game for a division winner, or seed based on record (meaning division winners could be seeded 1, 5, 6, 7), im all for that.

With the NFC South the way it is, we could see an 8-9 division winner in the playoffs getting a home playoff game, which brings up the question:

Should a sub .500 division winner be allowed to make the playoffs because they're in a terrible division? Or even a .500 team? I say no.

Hee's my simple solution. Feel free to pick it apart, because maybe I didn't think it through or I missed an obvious flaw.

So...if a team wins their division with a .500 or worse record, that division doesn't get a representative in the playoffs. Sorry about your luck, but if you can't finish .500 or better, you stay home. That team would then be replaced by another wild card team basically, which would be the team with the next best record that isn't already in the playoffs.

So you have the 3 division winners with winning records, and the next best 4 records to be the wildcards, and the non-division winner with the best record gets the 4 seed and a home playoff game.

That's it. Yes, people are gonna argue that division winners should get a spot no matter what, but as history shows, .500 and worst teams just don't go far in the post season, so let's 86 em.

Discuss.
You realize that if the NFC South had the cake schedule that the Eagles and 49ers did they would have had a 10 win team.

You realize that if the NFC South had the cake schedule that the Eagles and 49ers did they would have had a 10 win team.
Don't know, don't care. Don't even remember starting this thread, but the playoff system is definitely broken, and teams that finish .500 or below shouldn't be allowed in the tourney.

Mods, feel free to delete this terrible thread

Don't know, don't care. Don't even remember starting this thread, but the playoff system is definitely broken, and teams that finish .500 or below shouldn't be allowed in the tourney.

Teams with crappy schedules shouldn't be allowed in either as they end up losing.

Teams with crappy schedules shouldn't be allowed in either as they end up losing.
Again, I don't care. Find someone else to argue with.

Users who are viewing this thread