What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Monday is Not Best Day for NCAA Football Championship (1 Viewer)

Tango

Footballguy
Why Monday night? Because it's the only exclusive TV time-slot to fit this second-rate sport game into? B.S. It's not 1990 anymore. NCAA football has grown tremendously and is now in the position to make its Championship Game a holiday on the sports calendar instead of an anti-climatic non-event on a Monday night.

This is a great game of course and we'll watch, but it is a complete non-event across the households of America outside of Oregon and Ohio. I heard somebody on the radio say that 80% of us will be watching the second half from our beds with our wives nudging us to turn the volume down. Unfortunately, that caller was correct.

If not Monday, then when?

• Thursday night- close enough to the weekend to make it an event to most casual fans, and it's a great night for TV ratings,
  • I'd take Friday night; traditionally poor for TV ratings but this event is big enough to bring massive eyeballs to TV sets on any night,
  • Saturday is the consensus favorite of those around me; of course it is traditionally bad for TV, but Saturday night is seemingly improving for sporting events and would make a nice triple-header with the NFL Divisionals (or wild-card if the NFL goes to 18 wks or expanded playoff), is college football's traditional day-of-the-week, would allow for all-day partying on a great day of footnall and no work the next day.
  • I'd even take Sunday night (great for TV ratings and would make for a heck of a triple-header), but it has it's downsides.
So I'd rank:

1. Saturday night

2. Friday night (unlikely that the network would roll the dice on that)

3. Thursday night

4. Sunday night

Last edited by a moderator:
And Sunday night is a great day for the Super Bowl?......
It's the worst for people that would like to throw a proper party and that aren't retired.

I wish it were super bowl Saturday, but tv ratings are the name of the game

It's the worst for people that would like to throw a proper party and that aren't retired.I wish it were super bowl Saturday, but tv ratings are the name of the game
Meh. If the game was Saturday, everyone would adjust their schedules to watch. I don't think ratings wouled dip at all.
I disagree. They count on the millions of casual viewers that don't give a crap about football. Put the game on Saturday and millions have something better to do all of a sudden, it's a very fickle audience

It's the worst for people that would like to throw a proper party and that aren't retired.

Meh. If the game was Saturday, everyone would adjust their schedules to watch. I don't think ratings wouled dip at all.
Yeah.....the only ratings benefit that I can think for the SB being on Sunday is that sometimes the network showing it would run new shows after it.....thus being the ultimate lead in.

That's probably true, yes. Applying it to college football, the sport has reached critical mass to pull a rating on Saturday as well (on a smaller scale).

And it wasnt too long ago that the NFL Divisionals were at 1pm and 4pm. The networks, not the NFL, drove the shift to 430/8ish in an effort to make more of what-would-have-been a dead Saturday TV night. The NFL product now makes that evening a winner ratings-wise. The NCAA championship would do that and then some.

College football would need to be willing to take a little less money for a few years b/c the networks probably love the Monday night slot and there is significant opportunity cost for them in moving the NFL back to a 1230/430 start and sacrificing that Monday .

Why would college football do that? It would be viewed as an investment in the sport; building a brand around the second-Saturday-in-January as an "College football holiday" is worthwhile and, in the long-term (and even the short term), a lucrative move.

Thunderlips said:
TLEF316 said:
Dentist said:
Thunderlips said:

Yeah.....the only ratings benefit that I can think for the SB being on Sunday is that sometimes the network showing it would run new shows after it.....thus being the ultimate lead in.
You guys are crazy. Dentist is right. It doesn't air on Saturday nights for a reason- casual viewers. It's the same reason normal prime-time ratings are high on Sundays while networks don't even bother airing new programming on Saturdays. Same reason HBO and the other cable networks but their glamor shows on Sunday nights but just air their regular garbage on Saturday nights. And the same reason the Oscars and other one-off ratings monsters air on Sundays. People love to watch TV on Sunday nights, but not on Saturday nights.

People like us are not the target audience for the Super Bowl. We'd watch it on a Wednesday at 3 AM if that's when they showed it. Non-sports fans are the target audience.

The game did seem a bit anti-climactic after a weekend of NFL playoff games. You flip on sports radio the day of the NCAAF championship game and how many segments did it take for them to even mention a game was on tonight? They probably spent 99% of their shows talking about Dez's non-catch and "is Peyton done?" College football should have their title game on new years day like it always used to be. They shouldn't be competing competing with the NFL. I know those days are over now though. They will keep expanding their playoffs until the title game is the weekend before the super bowl...just wait.

It's not the night. It's just that this game for college football just takes too damn long. All the clock stoppages for first down, the extended halftime, etc. Brutal to watch college football these days.

It's not the night. It's just that this game for college football just takes too damn long. All the clock stoppages for first down, the extended halftime, etc. Brutal to watch college football these days.
Yeah that first half last night seemed like it would never end. I know the 1st quarter took about an hour or so.

The game did seem a bit anti-climactic after a weekend of NFL playoff games. You flip on sports radio the day of the NCAAF championship game and how many segments did it take for them to even mention a game was on tonight? They probably spent 99% of their shows talking about Dez's non-catch and "is Peyton done?" College football should have their title game on new years day like it always used to be. They shouldn't be competing competing with the NFL. I know those days are over now though. They will keep expanding their playoffs until the title game is the weekend before the super bowl...just wait.
This sounds awesome.

It was also awesome having a monster game on last night after the great divisional playoff weekend and the sparse football schedule that lies ahead.

I'm not really sure what the problem is here.

Game was too damn long.

I don't know if it's that i'm getting older, or because i have a small child who makes getting sleep hard... but i'm not watching anything on a Sunday or Monday night that is going to go past 10 PM Central unless it's my MLB team in the world series.

Monday night football is too long, Sunday night football is too long, and I couldn't stick with that college game last night either.

I wish the super bowl started earlier than it does..... Sunday afternoon/early evening is where it's at.

Game was too damn long.

I don't know if it's that i'm getting older, or because i have a small child who makes getting sleep hard... but i'm not watching anything on a Sunday or Monday night that is going to go past 10 PM Central unless it's my MLB team in the world series.

Monday night football is too long, Sunday night football is too long, and I couldn't stick with that college game last night either.

I wish the super bowl started earlier than it does..... Sunday afternoon/early evening is where it's at.
Agreed. If I had a stake in the game last night, maybe I'd have more incentive to watch it. But unless it's a team I root for, it's hard to stay up til midnight on east coast when I have to be up 5 hours later for work.

The Super Bowl should totally start at like 4ET. Game would be over by 8 and I wouldn't have to worry about being up late for the end of the game.

Game was too damn long.

Agreed. If I had a stake in the game last night, maybe I'd have more incentive to watch it. But unless it's a team I root for, it's hard to stay up til midnight on east coast when I have to be up 5 hours later for work.

The Super Bowl should totally start at like 4ET. Game would be over by 8 and I wouldn't have to worry about being up late for the end of the game.
Because the super bowl is now like a 4 hour+ game, starting at 5:30 central means that most of my friends with kids in the 2-10 range are going to want to leave early to get to bed since it's a school night for the super bowl.

It's awful.

Never gonna change though.

This coming Saturday after a 6 or 8 game playoff would be perfect. No NFL games to go up against.
Except that would mean the semifinal games would conflict with the NFL games, yes?

I think they've got it pretty close to perfect. If they went to 8, which they should, they could go New Year's Day, the Sunday and Monday evening of the following week, and the Monday evening of the week after that. Maybe give the highest surviving seed the Sunday night game and the potential for the extra day of rest.

As much as a bunch of 30 and 40 something dads and sports fans like ourselves might enjoy Saturday night games, they're obviously not good for attracting casual viewers. Otherwise the people who study stuff like this for a living would program big events on Saturday nights.

And yet Monday Night Football continues to draw a number...even on ESPN.

Shut up and watch football, you pansy.

Game was too damn long.

I think it hurts sports in the long run, too. Kids aren't staying up until 1 am to watch the Royals epic extra inning game. They aren't staying up until 11 pm to watch any other game. I don't think it's too much of a coincidence that younger kids are starting to stop watching sports. They can't afford to go to the games because only the rich can get good tickets. And they can't stay up to watch the end of games. Major league sports are clearly not catering to the next generation. And it's really starting to show.

Game was too damn long.

I think it hurts sports in the long run, too. Kids aren't staying up until 1 am to watch the Royals epic extra inning game. They aren't staying up until 11 pm to watch any other game. I don't think it's too much of a coincidence that younger kids are starting to stop watching sports. They can't afford to go to the games because only the rich can get good tickets. And they can't stay up to watch the end of games. Major league sports are clearly not catering to the next generation. And it's really starting to show.
How so?

Game was too damn long.

How so?
The number of younger viewers is declining.

Game was too damn long.

How so?
Ah, got it. That would be a problem, especially in the long term.

On the other hand, pretty much all sports have enjoyed unfettered ratings and ticket revenue growth over the last 20 years or so, yes? They must be doing something right.

I thought the reason for the game on Monday nights was so that the host city could soak up another day's income from the visiting fans.

Game was too damn long.

I have a 2nd grader and a Kindergartener and they can hardly see the start of the game. thankfully I can DVR it and watch it later. Heck with the length of any game I prefer to DVR it and wait about an hour to start watching it. If I am lucky I catch up at the end of the game. It is ridiculous how long the games go and how late they start them. Even the super bowl used to start earlier but now that even ends after 10 CST.

Game was too damn long.

How so?

On the other hand, pretty much all sports have enjoyed unfettered ratings and ticket revenue growth over the last 20 years or so, yes? They must be doing something right.
Short term, sure. But that's what I'm saying. Will that streak continue once the old sports fans start to dwindle? I have no clue. But if I was in charge, I'd be doing my damnedest to start appealing to younger kids, and not just the fans who can spend the most now.

Game was too damn long.

I have a 2nd grader and a Kindergartener and they can hardly see the start of the game. thankfully I can DVR it and watch it later. Heck with the length of any game I prefer to DVR it and wait about an hour to start watching it. If I am lucky I catch up at the end of the game. It is ridiculous how long the games go and how late they start them. Even the super bowl used to start earlier but now that even ends after 10 CST.
DVR;ing is not the same. not even close....Im guessing you already agree with that but just to reiterate.

Game was too damn long.

This is a problem with almost all sports now... they really need to reign in the length.

Football should be < 3 hrs and it has swelled to 3.5

MLB should be 2.5 and is nearly 3

You're combing being on too long, being in the ADD era.... people are going to find better things to do with their time.

Less is more people in charge of sports.

NFL already had a drop off in TV ratings from 13 to 14... they've peaked

Game was too damn long.

How so?

Short term, sure. But that's what I'm saying. Will that streak continue once the old sports fans start to dwindle? I have no clue. But if I was in charge, I'd be doing my damnedest to start appealing to younger kids, and not just the fans who can spend the most now.
I suppose. On the other hand, sports fandom isn't a static thing. Just because you don't like something as a kid doesn't mean you won't embrace it as an adult. I know personally my sports viewing preferences have changed a lot even in the last 5-10 years, let alone since I was a child. More than anything, though, it sucks from a nostalgic/family perspective. When my kids are a little order I want to share stuff like last night's game with them and it will suck if start times often prevent me from doing that.

Game was too damn long.

How so?

Agree...as someone pointed out this game pulled better ratings than any sporting event other than the Super Bowl and some NFL Playoffs.

This game has the heft to become a holiday on the sports calendar and Monday at 830pm just aint that. Our kids dont watch it and many forced themselves to go to bed around 11pm b/c most people have a job and dont want to mess their sleep for the whole week ahead.

It's pretty much a given now that the ratings will be there any day/time b/c the sport has reached critical mass; but the sport is selling itself short by making the "event" of-it-all highly anti-climatic. Move it to Saturday night.

The game did seem a bit anti-climactic after a weekend of NFL playoff games. You flip on sports radio the day of the NCAAF championship game and how many segments did it take for them to even mention a game was on tonight? They probably spent 99% of their shows talking about Dez's non-catch and "is Peyton done?"
:goodposting:

The "event" and coverage are muted by a day/time that is meant for a sport searching for a slot. This sport no longer needs to find a slot, it has reached the point where it will command the audience. Therefore the sport needs to come out from the shadows of a seemingly random Monday in January and become the centerpiece of a football weekend on a weekend evening to elevate it to the status of a cultural event.

You guys keep saying "most did this" and "many did this" without paying any regard to the record-breaking numbers that got bigger as the night went on.

It's shocking, I know, but I don't think some of you know what you're talking about.

You guys keep saying "most did this" and "many did this" without paying any regard to the record-breaking numbers that got bigger as the night went on.

It's shocking, I know, but I don't think some of you know what you're talking about.
No one is saying Monday drives a ratings problem.

And for some reason you're insisting with debating no one.

If your point is that all that matters is absolute and total ratings maximization to the farthest decimal point, then say that. That's a different discussion that might have relevance.

If your point is that all that matters is absolute and total ratings maximization to the farthest decimal point, then say that. That's a different discussion that might have relevance.
That seemed to be exactly what you were saying in the OP when you talked about how it was a non-event everywhere but Oregon and Ohio and 80% of viewers would watch the second half in bed with their wives asking them to turn it down, and then proceeded to discuss other nights and how they would work out ratings-wise. Non-events where 80% of the viewing audience is in bed two hours before they end don't pull massive audiences like this game did.

Do they have things where they show the ratings for, say, each quarter of the game? Not even just this game, but I'd be interested in seeing what the drop off is as the night goes on. I admit, I know nothing of how the ratings work, but I can't imagine that everyone who tuned into the start of the games, stays until it ends.

Wait what? That's all you've been saying.
I understand the point is sort of nuanced, but to be clear it has nothing to do in any way with a criticism of the ratings the game can pull on a Monday. As a matter of fact, holding all things equal (that the game is played around the NFL Divisionals), with the possible exception of the previous Thursday night, I assume most wholeheartedly agree that the Monday night time slot maximizes total NFL+NCAA ratings and, even more likely, maximizes non-sports ratings too (ie brings in the highest number of eyeballs for all TV programming across an entire week and, of course, minimizes opportunity cost).

The point here is that college football has grown so significantly over the past 20+ years that it should no longer bury itself in a timeslot that is derived primarily for the benefit of the TV partners; i.e. meant to maximize the total viewers of the networks spanning an entire week. The sport now has the ratings/clout to say to its partners that we will not bow to your preferred timeslot that buries us from a cultural-event standpoint; instead we want our game to be elevated as an the event that the whole country can look forward to every 2nd Saturday in January at 7pm EST (or some such wknd slot).

That cultural relevance and placement as a holiday on the sports calendar that the country can plan on year-after-year is akin to what the Super Bowl is, and in the long-run and short-run, wold be a highly lucrative development for the sport of college football. That's different than ratings maximization.

That seemed to be exactly what you were saying in the OP when you talked about how it was a non-event everywhere but Oregon and Ohio and 80% of viewers would watch the second half in bed with their wives asking them to turn it down, and then proceeded to discuss other nights and how they would work out ratings-wise. Non-events where 80% of the viewing audience is in bed two hours before they end don't pull massive audiences like this game did.
Got it, sorry for the confusion. I didnt mean that. I assume Monday night would maximize ratings as it would drive more total televisions with the game on given the vastly fewer Viewer/Television Ratio given that we generally dont watch a game on a Monday in January with a group of people. Post 48 might explain the point better.

I'm against NCAA football on Monday nights because it is a school night. The players should be able to get to bed early on weeknights so they can be well rested for the next day's scholastic activities.

Users who are viewing this thread