What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Monkeypox (1 Viewer)

Poignant lyrics from the always prescient Flight Of The Conchords (song title Think About It )

"There's people on the street
Getting diseases from monkeys
Yeah, that's what I said
They're getting diseases from monkeys

Now, there's junkies with monkey disease
Who's touching these monkeys?
Please, leave these poor sick monkeys alone
They've got problems enough as it is."

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Pless: Well, Mr. Kramer, to get right to it, we're having a bit of a problem with Barry.
Kramer: Barry?
Mr. Pless: The chimpanzee.
Kramer: Oh. Well, uh, what's the problem?
Mr. Pless: Well, he's not functioning the way he normally does. He seems depressed. He's lost his appetite. He's even curtailed his autoerotic activities. And we think this is directly related to the altercation he had with you the other day.
Kramer: So, so what do you want me to do?
Mr. Pless: Well, frankly we'd like you to apologize.
Kramer: Yeah, well he started it.
Mr. Pless: Mr. Kramer, he is an innocent primate.
Kramer: So am I! I mean, what about my feelings? Don't my feelings count for anything? Oh, only the poor monkey's important. Everything has to be done for the monkey!

UK health officials report that the most recent cases in the UK are in men who have sex with (men) monkeys.

Fixed.

The US ordered $113m in monkeypox vaccine and the WHO is having an emergency meeting on how this is spreading around the globe. :unsure:

Wait...do we s this mean I have to start using condoms? Or is it spread another way?
maybe? :lol:  

one doc's opinion

Still, what we do know suggests strongly, to me at least, that monkeypox may still be primarily spreading through sexual contact, a known major mode of transmission. It could be that this virus has not gained any newfound stability in the air or in droplets—and that would certainly be welcome news—but that it is spreading with greater ease than usual (and therefore via more casual contact) in sexual networks, due to some genetic changes in the virus.

So while I’m worried that this outbreak may be different from previous ones simply because of how many cases are being reported in so many locales all at once, I’m cautiously optimistic that the lack of any reported cases in females so far means that this pathogen has not suddenly become airborne, more stable in smaller droplets, or that we previously did not recognize these as more important modes of transmission than they are.

one doc's opinion

Still, what we do know suggests strongly, to me at least, that monkeypox may still be primarily spreading through sexual contact, a known major mode of transmission. It could be that this virus has not gained any newfound stability in the air or in droplets—and that would certainly be welcome news—but that it is spreading with greater ease than usual (and therefore via more casual contact) in sexual networks, due to some genetic changes in the virus.

So while I’m worried that this outbreak may be different from previous ones simply because of how many cases are being reported in so many locales all at once, I’m cautiously optimistic that the lack of any reported cases in females so far means that this pathogen has not suddenly become airborne, more stable in smaller droplets, or that we previously did not recognize these as more important modes of transmission than they are.
Well Doc, no female cases and we’ve notice a large concentration of pox on the penis, so we’re thinking sexual contact.

I’m starting to think Southpark (link above) was closer to the reality with Randy and the bat than their joke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your Local Epidemiologist's Monkeypox 101

Monkeypox is a viral zoonotic disease, which means for an outbreak to start, the virus needs to jump from an animal to a human. We don’t know the natural reservoir animal (i.e., where the virus calls “home”), but we do know rodents and small mammals can harbor the virus and infect humans through scratches, bites, or wild game. After a human is infected, they can infect other humans through several avenues:

• Respiratory droplets and aerosols from prolonged face-to-face contact;
  • Contact with bodily fluids or monkeypox lesions;
  • Indirect contact with items that have been contaminated with fluids or sores, like clothing or bedding.
----

Current global outbreak

Earlier this month, the U.K. reported an index case that was infected while traveling to Nigeria. Quickly thereafter, eight more cases were identified within the U.K. The outbreak became worrisome, not only because of the unusually large number of cases, but also because some cases did not have a travel history, and two outbreaks were hundreds of miles away from each other. This meant there was undetected community transmission and a high likelihood of more cases, possibly on a global level. 

Suspicions were confirmed later this week when more countries reported monkeypox. The count changes quickly, but we have at least 110 suspected cases, spanning 11 countries. The majority are male, younger, and presenting with classic skin lesions. Of the information we do have, 36% of cases are hospitalized. The U.S. confirmed the first case on Wednesday in Massachusetts, and yesterday a suspected, hospitalized case was reported in NYC. 

(NRJ note: count is already up to 127 since she posted this morning. That link in the above paragraph is a live google document tracking cases)

Bottom line

It’s too early to tell if we should be worried, but we are confident the current outbreak will be nothing close to the COVID-19 pandemic. We live in the harsh reality where the next epidemic is just around the corner. We need to learn from the lessons of the past and present and prepare for the future. As one virologist said, “[The monkeypox outbreak] is a good dress rehearsal to see whether we have learned anything.”

one doc's opinion

Looks like I’m safe!

The fact that they even need to say it isn't going to be "another covid" is scary.  This should be isolated and burn out, I would think.
He addresses this in the piece. We're always primed to fight the last war. Some of our early responses downplaying Covid was driven by the overreaction to Ebola a few years earlier. So coming out of (still in?) this pandemic, everyone is thinking of this in terms of Covid, even though there are a lot of major differences.

Users who are viewing this thread