What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Montee Ball returning for senior season (1 Viewer)

I heard this on ESPN radio on the way home from work tonight.
Projected to only go in the 3rd, so he stayed in (link)Good news for the Badgers, cept for the fact they have no qb.
Well...seems like the norm (not having a QB).
Badgers have had quite a few good QB - true, not very good (never mind great) NFL qb, but certainly some have had great college careers, and several have had good NFL careers as backups, usually because they are smart, know the pro style offense and have good fundamentals. Bollinger, Sorgi, Wright, Tolzien

I heard this on ESPN radio on the way home from work tonight.
Projected to only go in the 3rd, so he stayed in (link)Good news for the Badgers, cept for the fact they have no qb.
Well...seems like the norm (not having a QB).
Badgers have had quite a few good QB - true, not very good (never mind great) NFL qb, but certainly some have had great college careers, and several have had good NFL careers as backups, usually because they are smart, know the pro style offense and have good fundamentals. Bollinger, Sorgi, Wright, Tolzien
Which is why it does not worry me. Those guys were just guys...they looked pretty good with a fine OL and running game behind them.

When has a Wisky RB been any more than a #2 RB in the NFL anyway??
When has a Jeff Tedford QB ever done anything great in the NFL?BTW...Aaron Rodgers says hi.Not saying Ball will be great at the next level...but just saying because he is a Wisky RB...is pretty lazy IMO. He is unlike most of the other RBs they have had. Better compliment of size, speed, moves, and good hands. Not the plodder like Clay and Dayne.

First round talent at a third round price. Ball will explode on any team that will draft him. The team will erect a statue when his career is done.

seems like a horrible decision to stay in school. he will have a tough time outperforming this year's production and its another year of wear and tear from a large workload.

seems like a horrible decision to stay in school. he will have a tough time outperforming this year's production and its another year of wear and tear from a large workload.
That was Dan Patrick's point this am and I find it hard to disagree with. As a Badger fan I am happy of course

The NFL apparently told him he was a 3rd rounder. Seems thin at RB this season, I figured 2nd round for him.

That was Dan Patrick's point this am and I find it hard to disagree with. As a Badger fan I am happy of course
Why not stay and be a stud on a college campus for one more year... you can't change your mind and do that later. He can be an average nfl back that doesn't get drafted early next year.

'sho nuff said:
'Kenny Powers said:
When has a Jeff Tedford QB ever done anything great in the NFL?BTW...Aaron Rodgers says hi.Not saying Ball will be great at the next level...but just saying because he is a Wisky RB...is pretty lazy IMO. He is unlike most of the other RBs they have had. Better compliment of size, speed, moves, and good hands. Not the plodder like Clay and Dayne.
I agree. The "look at other guys from that U or conference" argument is pretty weak.

'sho nuff said:
'Kenny Powers said:
I agree. The "look at other guys from that U or conference" argument is pretty weak.
It's even weaker when talking about a school that's been through multiple coaches and systems during that time. If anything, the Tedford argument (which, as already pointed out, didn't work out) had even *more* clout than the Wisconsin one.When we're talking about different coaches and systems over a period of time, the notion that the colors that they wore on their shirt during college has an effect on their future NFL success is pretty off the wall.

'sho nuff said:
'Kenny Powers said:
When has a Jeff Tedford QB ever done anything great in the NFL?BTW...Aaron Rodgers says hi.

Not saying Ball will be great at the next level...but just saying because he is a Wisky RB...is pretty lazy IMO. He is unlike most of the other RBs they have had. Better compliment of size, speed, moves, and good hands. Not the plodder like Clay and Dayne.
It's even weaker when talking about a school that's been through multiple coaches and systems during that time. If anything, the Tedford argument (which, as already pointed out, didn't work out) had even *more* clout than the Wisconsin one.When we're talking about different coaches and systems over a period of time, the notion that the colors that they wore on their shirt during college has an effect on their future NFL success is pretty off the wall.
Perhaps different coaches/systems but the one thing they never seem to lack are big O-linemen that make RB's look good.The Tedford thing made sense at the time and I was down on Rodgers. The two things he got that none of the other Tedford QB's did was time to develop and a good system. If he were thrown in the fire like Carr I think he would have been a bust too.

Interesting article about Tedford and his QB history.

Bad decision. He is thinking with his heart and not his brain.

Considering the season he had and the position he plays, he should take the money and run. It's unlikely that his stock will ever be higher. And it's not like he's a QB or even a WR, in which case the extra development would improve his NFL prospects. RB is a simple position and he won't improve much with another year. It will just mean more tread off the tire.

Maybe he wants his degree and is one of those people that knows he won't ever go back to school once he leaves. Maybe he promised his mother or grandmother he would get his degree.

I read that scouts were not sure how much wiggle Ball had. Due to the strenght of the Badger O-line he was getting to the second level untouched and this lead to a lot of big gains. Not sure that Ball has that top end speed that most teams like to have at RB aslo.

Ball is a lot better back than Dayne, PJ Hill, Clay and other backs that came out of Wisconsin. Most of the RBs ran over people, while Ball has better speed and a little bit of shake to get open. Ball also was used as a option out of the backfield in the passing game.

Ball can't be expected to come close to this season it was one of the best in a long time for a running back. Even with a top QB it would be hard to match this season. UW alwasy has a average QB and the RBs do a fine job.

FYI Terrel Fletcher hung around the NFL longer than most UW RBs.

Matt Waldman compared Ball to Chester Taylor.

As for a current NFL'er, I see Ball as similar to Tashard Choice. Regardless of where he's drafted, he'll be a solid starter. But I don't see him as being a "superstar".

If anyone wants a poor man's Montee Ball, take a look at Davin Meggett, Maryland.

Via @dave_hellerhttps://twitter.com/#!/dave_heller/status/155031945242357760

Montee Ball: will be hitting weight room in offseason, look to gain 10 lbs and get faster #badgers

Ball dropped like 20 pounds before this year. He used to be 230+. I guess he could gain some back, but the reason he dropped it was to add quickness and it obviously worked.

By the way, if I was a high school recruit with a chance at the NFL who played RB I would do everything I could go learn safety or WR or something. RB's just don't get drafted that high in today's NFL, and teams are hesitant to give them any money even if they blow up because of how short their prime is. Hardest position to make it these days.

Montee Ball: will be hitting weight room in offseason, look to gain 10 lbs and get faster #badgers
Kind of hard to gain weight and get faster, FYI Montee
This is a painfully false statement.
What, plyometrics are going to let him put on muscle and get noticeably faster? Is their some science Im not aware of?

'sheerterror said:
'Kenny Powers said:
'Xue said:

he didnt say it was impossible, just that it was hard, as it obv is. ofc, there are situations where its likely. as with anything in life, and esp in health and fitness, it depends.

'sheerterror said:
'Kenny Powers said:
'Xue said:

See how the careers of Felix Jones and Steve Slaton went after they added weight but "kept/improved speed"

Users who are viewing this thread