What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Moss signs with Niners (1 Viewer)

'jurb26 said:
'shadyridr said:
'jurb26 said:
'CalBear said:
'goldenchild said:
That's the beauty of it though... Teams will need to respect the guy running right by them on every play... All we need is for Alex to connect once or twice per game and he is capable of that
Randy can't run right by people anymore. That's why his production dropped off a cliff; he doesn't want to take hits over the middle, and he can't burn people deep the way he used to.Jerry Rice stayed productive for so long because he fundamentally changed the way he played the game as his body changed. Randy Moss has not and will not.
Apparently 2 teams seemed to think he could still run by people and or would do the other functions of a WR. To me it was telling that SF left the practice field and signed him the same day. It's an indication that they didn't want him trying out for other teams so they too could see what he had to offer.It was a smart move.
He was traded by the Patriots. The same team that held onto Chad Ochocinco all year. He did nothing in 2010 with Tom Freakin Brady and Brett Freakin Favre. Hes done people
He scored 3 TDs in 4 games his last year in NE. The 4th game, they didn't throw the ball to him even one time. He pissed off the BB and the OC. It's laughable how the haters will try to portray it. He scored 2 TDs in 4 games with the Vikes. That's 5 Tds in 8 games, or on pace for a 10 TD season and he was basically taken out of the offenses on purpose because he pissed off the wrong people. Moss simply gave up after that. Let's at least try to be realistic about things here. Hate only clouds judgement. The above stats are facts.
on one leg he's better than what the 49ers have at WR opposite Crabtree

Moss isn't a paycheck chaser, at least I don't think he is, he's all about titles.
Huh? Isnt the only reason he was grumpy in New England in 2010 was because he wanted a contract extension? If it was all about titles wouldnt he have been happy in New england?

'shadyridr said:
How is this any different than the Edwards signing? Not a good fit for this team and their limp armed QB
I agree with this. I just don't think Smith has the arm for the routes Moss wants to run; plus, the 49ers game appears to me to not be predicated on the long pass.
Yeah, Im sure Harbaugh hasnt thought of that.
Did he think of it last year when they signed Edwards?

'jurb26 said:
'shadyridr said:
'jurb26 said:
'CalBear said:
'goldenchild said:
That's the beauty of it though... Teams will need to respect the guy running right by them on every play... All we need is for Alex to connect once or twice per game and he is capable of that
Randy can't run right by people anymore. That's why his production dropped off a cliff; he doesn't want to take hits over the middle, and he can't burn people deep the way he used to.Jerry Rice stayed productive for so long because he fundamentally changed the way he played the game as his body changed. Randy Moss has not and will not.
Apparently 2 teams seemed to think he could still run by people and or would do the other functions of a WR. To me it was telling that SF left the practice field and signed him the same day. It's an indication that they didn't want him trying out for other teams so they too could see what he had to offer.It was a smart move.
He was traded by the Patriots. The same team that held onto Chad Ochocinco all year. He did nothing in 2010 with Tom Freakin Brady and Brett Freakin Favre. Hes done people
He scored 3 TDs in 4 games his last year in NE. The 4th game, they didn't throw the ball to him even one time. He pissed off the BB and the OC. It's laughable how the haters will try to portray it. He scored 2 TDs in 4 games with the Vikes. That's 5 Tds in 8 games, or on pace for a 10 TD season and he was basically taken out of the offenses on purpose because he pissed off the wrong people. Moss simply gave up after that. Let's at least try to be realistic about things here. Hate only clouds judgement. The above stats are facts.
on one leg he's better than what the 49ers have at WR opposite Crabtree
meh Id rather have Josh Morgan come back

I posted in the 49ers offseason thread that I'm skeptical. Now that the idea is settling in, I see some other potential angles:

1. Signing Moss might be a chess move in order to get Manning. You've got to think that on some level, Manning's interest is more piqued with a moss-type weapon here, even with the questions surrounding his motivation and age.

2. With a (possible / maybe / insert your own argument here) deep threat on the team and Kaepernick on the bench, maybe Kaep gets a real shot shot this summer against Smith.

It's definitely going to be interesting. Sort of the Tebow argument and debate last year. Yeah, definitely interesting!

'jurb26 said:
'Jason Wood said:
Must anyone be a "hater" if they express a contrary opinion?I wish we could remove the word from the English language.
No, I rarely call anyone a hater. When stats are omitted and twisted to make a point, it signals hating.
What do you call someone who omits and twists stats and facts in an attempt to make a pile of #### look good?

Moss isn't a paycheck chaser, at least I don't think he is, he's all about titles.
Huh? Isnt the only reason he was grumpy in New England in 2010 was because he wanted a contract extension? If it was all about titles wouldnt he have been happy in New england?
I think it was a heart issue, don't think it was $. He wasn't putting forth the same effort as he was before. Why? Don't know. Don't think it was $ though. Good luck getting anything out of that locker room though.I just don't see any line of reasoning behind him making this comeback if he's not motivated. I mean, if he gets in there, and doesn't buy into their system he'll turn into a cancer real quick. At that point does Alex Smith's lack of ability get over shadowed by Harbaugh's presence? At the price he's being paid I think it's worth it to find out. If it doesn't work then the damage is minimal.

I see his primary purpose as a clear out decoy. The threat of the deep pass opens things up underneath, and SF really had no one who was a serious threat (apologies to Ginn and Williams, neither of whom has re-signed as of yet).

People adding Moss to their fantasy rosters IMO are going to be disappointed if they are really expecting much stat-wise.

I'll also add this. If Moss gives up on 2 or 3 deep passes that are poorly thrown by Alex and then intercepted, instead of busting his a** anyway to at least try to break them up, the honeymoon will be over real quick.

Last edited by a moderator:
'jurb26 said:
'Jason Wood said:
Must anyone be a "hater" if they express a contrary opinion?I wish we could remove the word from the English language.
No, I rarely call anyone a hater. When stats are omitted and twisted to make a point, it signals hating.
What do you call someone who omits and twists stats and facts in an attempt to make a pile of #### look good?
A Very Important Person around here

'shadyridr said:
How is this any different than the Edwards signing? Not a good fit for this team and their limp armed QB
I agree with this. I just don't think Smith has the arm for the routes Moss wants to run; plus, the 49ers game appears to me to not be predicated on the long pass.
Edwards isnt even in the same universe as Moss, and the Edwards signing was also a cheap risk/reward move (which didnt work out, so he was cut).People are acting like the 49ers think this is THE move to get them to a Super Bowl. Its not. Its one move that may help the team, in an area that needs help. If it doesnt pan out, WHO FRIGGIN CARES. If it does, JACKPOT!

'shadyridr said:
Edwards isnt even in the same universe as Moss, and the Edwards signing was also a cheap risk/reward move (which didnt work out, so he was cut).People are acting like the 49ers think this is THE move to get them to a Super Bowl. Its not. Its one move that may help the team, in an area that needs help. If it doesnt pan out, WHO FRIGGIN CARES. If it does, JACKPOT!
In 2010 Edwards > Moss and had Sanchez throwing to him vs Moss who had Brady & Favre

'shadyridr said:
In 2010 Edwards > Moss and had Sanchez throwing to him vs Moss who had Brady & Favre
:lmao: Are you really trying to argue that Edwards > Moss (I realize that you're referring to 2010, but c'mon maaaan!)

'shadyridr said:
:lmao: Are you really trying to argue that Edwards > Moss (I realize that you're referring to 2010, but c'mon maaaan!)
Haters gonna hate.

I see his primary purpose as a clear out decoy. The threat of the deep pass opens things up underneath, and SF really had no one who was a serious threat (apologies to Ginn and Williams, neither of whom has re-signed as of yet).People adding Moss to their fantasy rosters IMO are going to be disappointed if they are really expecting much stat-wise.I'll also add this. If Moss gives up on 2 or 3 deep passes that are poorly thrown by Alex and then intercepted, instead of busting his a** anyway to at least try to break them up, the honeymoon will be over real quick.
Until Moss and Smith show that they can connect deep, nobody is going to respect them. This won't change anyone's gameplan a bit until they show something during the regular season. 2.5mil with up to 4mil in incentives. Pretty cheap.

Nothing guaranteed jumps out. Great deal for 49ers

Jason La Canfora

‏ @JasonLaCanfora

Randy Moss deal - 1yr, $1.75M in salary, $46,875 per game roster bonuses (max $750K), $1.5M in PT/rec/pro bowl incentives. No guar $

6:31 PM - 13 Mar 12
https://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora/status/179711216502050816
Jesus. :lmao:
So Moss has become the motel room you rent by the hour, not the night. Nice.
This is a very good contract for SF.

Jason La Canfora

‏ @JasonLaCanfora

Randy Moss deal - 1yr, $1.75M in salary, $46,875 per game roster bonuses (max $750K), $1.5M in PT/rec/pro bowl incentives. No guar $

This is a very good contract for SF.
Good summary of the situation:http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/niners-talk/post/Day-1-recap-Alex-Smith-free-agent-talk-m?blockID=669432&feedID=2539

In essence, the 49ers get Moss for a six-month tryout. If the 49ers decide at the end of training camp that he does not fit with the team, the 49ers can cut him and they would not have paid Moss a penny.

If the guy can catch 15-20 balls in the redzone this year he just made the miners a much* better team. All the hate is kinda funny.

Jason La Canfora

‏ @JasonLaCanfora

You can't check in without luggage... but they'll gladly rent you some.

Users who are viewing this thread