What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Most hopeless franchise? (1 Viewer)

Which team will not make the playoffs in the next 5 years?

• Lions

Votes: 76 26.9%
  • Titans

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • 49ers

Votes: 43 15.2%
  • Bucs

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Bears

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • Jags

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • Texans

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • Browns

Votes: 97 34.3%
  • Raiders

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Redskins

Votes: 23 8.1%
  • Chargers

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters
Plenty of viable candidates, but to me the least likely to have any hope at all is SF with its combo of inept management, gutted roster, and tough division. They will be lost in the vortex for years to come.

Madden Curse said:
Plenty of viable candidates, but to me the least likely to have any hope at all is SF with its combo of inept management, gutted roster, and tough division. They will be lost in the vortex for years to come.
If they can bring in a coach who can help Kaep out of his funk - and back to anything close to what he was, they'll be alright. They do need to fix the defense though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Madden Curse said:
If they can bring in a coach who can help Kaep out of his funk - and back to anything close to what he was, they'll be alright. They do need to fix the defense though.
Kaep is done in SF - He prob won't (and def shouldn't) see the field again. They can cut him after the season with no money owed. The only guarantees in his contract are against injury, need to keep the guy bubble wrapped.

Lions have won one playoff game since 57, Browns have 7 in that span and an NFL championship. Sorry Browns fans, you may not have won a damn thing in any sport in a half century but you cant claim to be the worst NFL franchise until you go 0-16 and the Lions win a playoff game.
:lmao:

I forgot about the "defeated season". It was funny listening to Rome that year, he was so excited each week to discuss the Lions' latest loss and their quest for imperfection.
You listen to Jim Rome? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

This is why I voted them as well.

As much as I would like to vote the Redskins, their division isn't very good and another good draft or two could make them a playoff contender quickly.

Something folks have missed here: the best way to miss the playoffs for the next 5 years is to be just bad enough to miss out on a top-3 pick every year. One franchise QB is all it takes to take a team with mediocre talent to the playoffs. Remember the Colts? 2-14 with Painter; 11-5, 11-5, 11-5 with Luck.

So in addition to eliminating the Bucs, Titans, and Raiders from this list, we should probably eliminate the team(s) with the best shot at winding up with the #1 pick and landing their franchise QB - meaning the 49ers and Lions (yeah, I know, it feels weird eliminating them from this list, too).

As bad as the poor sisters of the AFC South are, the Colts look to be two steps away from nuclear meltdown themselves, which could mean years of a division where 7 wins gets you a shot at the postseason. Scratch all those names.

Chargers are a tempting dark horse pick as they're gonna get old before they get good. But, in the end ...

It's still the Browns.

It'll always be the Browns.

Futz, on 01 Nov 2015 - 12:06 PM, said:The Lions have talent, they are just a rudderless ship right now. The Browns, now that's a mess.
Where? They have a couple of talented players but the team is not talented overall.
Detroit will truly be a scary place when Calvin retires or moves on. Ebron, Ansah, Levy.. :tumbleweed:

Anybody with hope at QB has an advantage. I wouldn't bet on Tampa or Tennessee for that reason alone.

Cleveland and Chicago right there at the top.
Cutler > Stafford, and I hate Cutler.
Agreed. I usually agree with massraider on stuff - but the anti-Bears (or anti-Cutler) thing makes no sense to me. Except for the Chragers (and Raiders - who don't even belong on the list) Cutler is the best current QB of teams on the list.
you do specify current which makes it arguable, but Cutler right now is the 4th (or 5th depending on metric used) ranked QB out of these teams not including Oakland or San Diego.

At least other teams stumble into good draft picks every now and then.

But the Browns do stuff like trade down and miss on players like Julio and Beckham and trade up for guys like TRich, Phil Taylor, and Manziel. And they do it with amazing consistency.

At least other teams stumble into good draft picks every now and then.

But the Browns do stuff like trade down and miss on players like Julio and Beckham and trade up for guys like TRich, Phil Taylor, and Manziel. And they do it with amazing consistency.
:goodposting:

Unlike many, I think the trading down approach is a good one, it reduces the margin for error. When you miss on all of those picks and can't maintain a management team for more than two years at a time it doesn't matter though.

I voted Lions....tough call between them and the Browns.
Just for fun I always wanted to get a Vegas quote on the odds of both being in the same Super Bowl.
slightly better than the odds of an all Ohio Super Bowl.
All-Florida versus All-Ohio prop bet would be interesting.

And by interesting i mean my life expectancy is about 29.4 more years.
All Texas for the win? I don't know if an all-California team would beat Texas (basically the Cowboys plus Watt and Hopkins) :hijack:

It was between the Browns and Lions for me. I voted for the Browns though. They have been inept for a long time.

It was between the Browns and Lions for me. I voted for the Browns though. They have been inept for a long time.
:shrug: Browns actually have a playoff win in the last 22 years.

Lions winningest coach - wayne fontes with 66 wins

Browns winningest coach - Paul Brown with 158 wins

DETROIT LIONS

Martha Ford cleaning house, fools!
Its a glimmer of light in the dark abyss. One playoff win since 1957. I have sympathy for the Browns since Cleveland hasnt won anything in any sport in half a century and Detroit has had many parades in that time. But its still the Lions for football failure.

DETROIT LIONS

Martha Ford cleaning house, fools!
Its a glimmer of light in the dark abyss. One playoff win since 1957. I have sympathy for the Browns since Cleveland hasnt won anything in any sport in half a century and Detroit has had many parades in that time. But its still the Lions for football failure.
I don't know if today will make a difference, if it's the start of a new era or just another step in a continuum of failure.

I do know this much: today was entirely out of character for Lions during the Ford family era. It was a complete bombshell - no one saw it coming. The Fords have always been too patient to make a move. Coaches & GMs get fired years after they should have been. So it felt refreshing if no other reason it felt different than any other inevitable Lions change.

Somebody tweeted this was the most shocking thing since the day Barry sent that fax.

Something folks have missed here: the best way to miss the playoffs for the next 5 years is to be just bad enough to miss out on a top-3 pick every year. One franchise QB is all it takes to take a team with mediocre talent to the playoffs. Remember the Colts? 2-14 with Painter; 11-5, 11-5, 11-5 with Luck.

So in addition to eliminating the Bucs, Titans, and Raiders from this list, we should probably eliminate the team(s) with the best shot at winding up with the #1 pick and landing their franchise QB - meaning the 49ers and Lions (yeah, I know, it feels weird eliminating them from this list, too).

As bad as the poor sisters of the AFC South are, the Colts look to be two steps away from nuclear meltdown themselves, which could mean years of a division where 7 wins gets you a shot at the postseason. Scratch all those names.

Chargers are a tempting dark horse pick as they're gonna get old before they get good. But, in the end ...

It's still the Browns.

It'll always be the Browns.
How were the 5 years after the 49ers last number 1 pick, Alex Smith?

FUBAR said:
krsone21 said:

I'm talking about since 1999 when the new Browns came to Cleveland. They have been inept since then.

That being said I wouldn't mind seeing the Browns turn it around someday.

But even with the #1 pick, there isn't a Luck or Manning type of franchise QB in the 2016 draft. Paxton Lynch is the top prospect at the moment but he may stay for his senior year. There is no clear front-runner which usually means that all the teams that are desperate for a QB are going to overvalue the top prospects. The Lions and 49ers probably picked a bad year to be in contention for the #1 overall pick.

FUBAR said:
krsone21 said:

I'm talking about since 1999 when the new Browns came to Cleveland. They have been inept since then.

That being said I wouldn't mind seeing the Browns turn it around someday.
99 doesn't seem that long ago.

Both teams have been inept for a while.

Understand why people would want to call the Paul Brown Browns a different franchise but the league "gave" them the history.

Understand why people would want to call the Paul Brown Browns a different franchise but the league "gave" them the history.
But the fabric of this team is completely different. From top to bottom the franchise is diseased...in this case mean that figuratively AND literary.Losing becomes hereditary in organizations. Unless a Lee Iacocca you're comes around to own the Browns they're always going to be terrible.

Futz, on 01 Nov 2015 - 12:06 PM, said:

The Lions have talent, they are just a rudderless ship right now. The Browns, now that's a mess.
Where? They have a couple of talented players but the team is not talented overall.
CJ, Tate, Ansah, Levy, Ihedigbo/ Quin (2 of the best safeties in the league just last year) are givens in my book.

These guys have nice potential if they get get coached up:

Ebron, Abdullah, Slay,Bynes, Riddick,Gabe Wright,Devin Taylor, and Warford

Agree with this as well in terms of the most hopeless franchise right now.

No question Lions are the most historically horrid but the Browns are just easier to make fun of. But right now, those teams have some talent on that squad at multiple skill and line positions.

The Niners, outside of Hyde (and that's still debatable given this season) have a bare cupboard. Davis is gone,

I think Kaep is talented, but hasn't seem to be able to display any additional skills outside the spread which, while a fad success for a season or two, has successfully been schemed against by NFL DCs to the point that Kaep is a predictable one-trick pony who can't adjust effectively.

Their once fearsome D is a used, dried husk, and outside of Bowman, has little to offer. Their Oline is a turnstile -- off the field in terms of swapping positions and on the field in terms of protecting the pass rush.

Lions record sucks now but still somehow believe with their talent they can turn things around.

Not so sure about the 9ers.

Agree with this as well in terms of the most hopeless franchise right now.No question Lions are the most historically horrid but the Browns are just easier to make fun of.
The Lions actually have 4 world championships tied for 9th overall. If you want to talk just Super Bowl era, well then you might have a point.

But the fabric of this team is completely different. From top to bottom the franchise is diseased...in this case mean that figuratively AND literary.Losing becomes hereditary in organizations. Unless a Lee Iacocca you're comes around to own the Browns they're always going to be terrible.
Let's ignore the 40 years of Lions ineptitude before the Browns came back in 99: the Lions and Browns have the same number of regular season wins, the Browns have a playoff win, and the Lions have the 0-16 season.

If we want to compare owners, at least Haslam did something other than win the genetic lottery and host “the biggest society wedding in Akron’s history".

Users who are viewing this thread