What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Most of you have no idea what MLK actually did (1 Viewer)

I remember last year on MLK day sitting with my son watching the inauguration and thinking about the fact that 50 years ago people were being killed just for trying to register blacks to vote. Now, we have a black president. While there is certainly still racism, blacks largely don't have to face the type of terror that was present before the Civil Rights Movement. We have many courageous people to thank for that, probably most notably MLK.
Well said. Thank you.

Concept of nonviolent resitance was as powerful a force in the 20th century as guns and bombs. Takes an unbelievable amount of courage and character.

I'm sure there's some way to use it to combat the muslim extremists. Moreso for the average Joe in countries like Iran, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia etc.

Good piece.
the only problem with this is that the extremist Muslims don't throw you a beating. They kill you.
Never heard of lynchings? They didn;t change the minds of the true racists in the south. They chaged the minds of those in the middle or sitting on the sidelines. Lots of those folks in the mideast too. Just wanting to make a living and mind their own business.
i thought of that. and that certainly was terrorism. but if you can't see the difference, well, I can't say I'm surprised.

This is the exact thing that I have thought for years was his biggest impact, but I studied history in college with an emphasis on the Civil Rights Movement.

The type of fear that being black in America (particularly in the South) caused was so oppressive that it is difficult for most of us today to conceive. Something as simple as going to the grocery store could be a life-and-death situation if you came into contact with the wrong person. At a minimum, interactions with white could be humiliating.

I remember last year on MLK day sitting with my son watching the inauguration and thinking about the fact that 50 years ago people were being killed just for trying to register blacks to vote. Now, we have a black president. While there is certainly still racism, blacks largely don't have to face the type of terror that was present before the Civil Rights Movement. We have many courageous people to thank for that, probably most notably MLK.
This is undoubtedly obviously true.

However, blacks have been getting elected in this country since the 1960's now (Gary IN elected a black mayor in 69 or so I believe) and we still have not had a descendant of someone who lived through segregation or slavery become president. Pres. Obama has absolutely none of the generational stigma or burden resulting from those periods.

This is the exact thing that I have thought for years was his biggest impact, but I studied history in college with an emphasis on the Civil Rights Movement.

The type of fear that being black in America (particularly in the South) caused was so oppressive that it is difficult for most of us today to conceive. Something as simple as going to the grocery store could be a life-and-death situation if you came into contact with the wrong person. At a minimum, interactions with white could be humiliating.

However, blacks have been getting elected in this country since the 1960's now (Gary IN elected a black mayor in 69 or so I believe) and we still have not had a descendant of someone who lived through segregation or slavery become president. Pres. Obama has absolutely none of the generational stigma or burden resulting from those periods.
Generational stigma? Holy crap batman. It would really make a difference if Obama had a great great great great great grandfather a slave? That is important somehow?

Gandalf the Grey said:
Well, the pendulum has swung the other way now. There are whites that can't get in the college they want, that might get bumped from a job due to AA, that might get fired for saying something racist. Reverse racism is obviously just as bad. Not to mention the young black male flash mobs that are terrorizing whites across the country.

Signed, Half the old white guys on this forum.

Thanks for the article. Just read the whole thing out loud to my wife and son. I thought it was pretty moving.
Why not speak for yourself. Falsely putting words in other people's mouth is a major **** move. HTH dickwad.
Someone is a little sensitive, I think this struck a little close to home. I'd return the name calling but it's not necessary, you do well enough embarrassing yourself on your own.
No. Just pointing out the obvious. You are an ### who over generalizes.
Jon, I purposely didn't identify anyone by name in order to avoid this awkwardness. Way to out yourself you dolt.
You said 50 percent of white guys. What is not to get? You are calling everyone not on your political side a racist. It is a douchbag statement. period.

Gandalf the Grey said:
Well, the pendulum has swung the other way now. There are whites that can't get in the college they want, that might get bumped from a job due to AA, that might get fired for saying something racist. Reverse racism is obviously just as bad. Not to mention the young black male flash mobs that are terrorizing whites across the country.

Signed, Half the old white guys on this forum.

Thanks for the article. Just read the whole thing out loud to my wife and son. I thought it was pretty moving.
Why not speak for yourself. Falsely putting words in other people's mouth is a major **** move. HTH dickwad.
Someone is a little sensitive, I think this struck a little close to home. I'd return the name calling but it's not necessary, you do well enough embarrassing yourself on your own.
No. Just pointing out the obvious. You are an ### who over generalizes.
Jon, I purposely didn't identify anyone by name in order to avoid this awkwardness. Way to out yourself you dolt.
You said 50 percent of white guys. What is not to get? You are calling everyone not on your political side a racist. It is a douchbag statement. period.
3 out of 4 of your statements above are categorically untrue ( though I suppose one could argue 1 of those 3). So that makes this a futile exercise.

Generational stigma? Holy crap batman. It would really make a difference if Obama had a great great great great great grandfather a slave? That is important somehow?
Yes, slavery and segregation left a huge stigma and burden on blacks and black families through the generations. Personally I think it has a lot to do with why there are income and educational differences, and political differences such as this. I'm not alone in this belief, I'd say.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
phatdawg said:

I was using the two points of comparison as a sign of how much the nature of racism and race relations have changed in the last 50 years. I was also mentioning it as a point of hope and progress. I am not sure what point you are going for in the bolded comment.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
phatdawg said:

I was using the two points of comparison as a sign of how much the nature of racism and race relations have changed in the last 50 years. I was also mentioning it as a point of hope and progress. I am not sure what point you are going for in the bolded comment.
My point is our civil rights journey as a country will not be complete until a descendant of someone subject to Jim Crow or slavery is president.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
phatdawg said:

My point is our civil rights journey as a country will not be complete until a descendant of someone subject to Jim Crow or slavery is president.
I'm not getting this at all.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
phatdawg said:

Ok, my premise is:

1. The damage of segregation and slavery is generational.

My conclusion is:

2. That damage is not fully repaired until someone hailing from one of these generations rises to be president.

To me seeing the heir of a slave especially become president would be the ultimate victory over discrimination, it has not happened yet.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
phatdawg said:

Ok, my premise is:

1. The damage of segregation and slavery is generational.

My conclusion is:

2. That damage is not fully repaired until someone hailing from one of these generations rises to be president.

To me seeing the heir of a slave especially become president would be the ultimate victory over discrimination, it has not happened yet.
No it won't be. It won't happen until every single descendant of slavery has become president. That's why affirmative action is the gift that keeps on giving.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
phatdawg said:

I disagree with your premise. If a descendent of someone subject to Jim Crow or slavery was president, but lynchings of blacks began again then I don't think we could call an end to our civil rights journey. To be honest, I don't think we will see an end to our civil rights journey, but I think we will continue to see progress.

Users who are viewing this thread