What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Movies currently in theaters - Worth going? Stay home? Rent later? (1 Viewer)

Andy Dufresne

Footballguy
I thought we had a thread for this at one time. :shrug: Anyway...

I got free tickets to see an advanced screening of The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare last night.

Generally I liked it. From the trailers it seems like it should be a action movie. But since it's a Guy Ritchie film it's better viewed as a heist film.

It kind of is Guy Ritchie's version of Inglorious Basterds - there's a generous amount of violence. But it's cool knowing the characters are based off of real people.

See it in the theater? Maybe.
Rent it at home? Definitely if you like the genre and/or Guy Ritchie type films.

Good thread, thanks Andy!

Dune Part 2: Much like part 1 this is a movie that requires attention and on that alone I recommend watching it in the theatre to keep the momentum going for the two and a half hours of run time and so you don't have the option to pause/stop to get a beer, send a text or take a pee break. Also, it's worth it! Effects, acting and story are top notch and will keep you invested. Think of it as Star Wars for the grownups and this is what you get; choices have consequences and for any leader worth their salt they know to make even the hardest decisions no matter the personal cost. If you liked or were interested for part one then go to the movies for part two is my rec.

Muad'Dib!

Boy Kills World looks interesting.

A fever dream action film that follows Boy, a deaf person with a vibrant imagination. When his family is murdered, he is trained by a mysterious shaman to repress his childish imagination and become an instrument of death.

Stars Bill Skarsgård, Famke Janssen and Jessica Rothe

There's a red band trailer I won't link to that you can view if you follow the IMDB link above.

My dislike of crowds and the improvements in home theater technology mean that I routinely opt out of trips to the movie theater. My suggestion for almost all movies is to wait to watch at home.

My dislike of crowds and the improvements in home theater technology mean that I routinely opt out of trips to the movie theater. My suggestion for almost all movies is to wait to watch at home.
Since the pandemic started, I've only seen Dune 2, Oppenheimer, and Everything Everywhere All at Once in the theater. I should have gone to Top Gun 2.

I remember a few years back a lot of "can't wait until it is not all superhero movies".

Now it isn't and there is so little that would draw me to a theater.

I remember a few years back a lot of "can't wait until it is not all superhero movies".

Hold tight cuz there are some offerings coming up that might be good for a theatre watch. Saw trailers for the new Planet of the Apes movie and the Mad Max movie, Furiosa, and they look great! I am in on those two at least. Also hearing good things about Joker 2, Monkey Man and Civil War. There are and will be some good choices, imo.

Hold tight cuz there are some offerings coming up that might be good for a theatre watch. Saw trailers for the new Planet of the Apes movie and the Mad Max movie, Furiosa, and they look great! I am in on those two at least. Also hearing good things about Joker 2, Monkey Man and Civil War. There are and will be some good choices, imo.

I'm going to guess Greg didn't add "or sequels/reboots" after superhero movies as it's basically implied at this stage in all Hollywood has run out of ideas arguments. Surely only a matter of time before we get Titanic 2, where we get a "based on real events" mashup of the OceanGate disaster and the plot of Sphere, somehow also featuring a zombie DiCaprio

Movies are available for download/stream within weeks of being released in theaters. How is this a sustainable business model ? Companies hunger for streaming content is cannibalizing the theatre industry.

For example, the movie starring Dev Patel, Monkey Man, was released on April 5...is now available to stream/download. Remember back in the '80s, when a movie was not even available on VHS until a nearly full year went by. If you missed it in theatres, you had to wait a year, now less than a month (and I know some of the bigger movies, its several months but still, Oppenheimer and Barbie were available less than 6 months after their release).

Most movies, if they're going to be profitable, are going to make their money in approximately their first month.

Most that are going to stream aren't going to go to the theater regardless. So it's not really harmful to stream in that narrow window.

Something like Monkey Man wasn't going to be a box office smash anyway.

I can just speak for myself but the number of movies that I would have seen in theaters has dropped significantly since I know I just have to wait weeks to see it from the comfort of my couch and as such my movie expenses have dropped to a fraction of what they would have been otherwise. The movie industry is fast becoming the music industry.

It's definitely changed what types of films I see in the theaters... Used to see everything, especially art house indie stuff. Now, it's something I know packs a whallop visually that deserves to be seen in the big screen- regardless of type. Otherwise, yeah- I'll watch it on my TV.

I thought we had a thread for this at one time. :shrug: Anyway...

I got free tickets to see an advanced screening of The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare last night.

Generally I liked it. From the trailers it seems like it should be a action movie. But since it's a Guy Ritchie film it's better viewed as a heist film.

It kind of is Guy Ritchie's version of Inglorious Basterds - there's a generous amount of violence. But it's cool knowing the characters are based off of real people.

See it in the theater? Maybe.
Rent it at home? Definitely if you like the genre and/or Guy Ritchie type films.
I am so out of the loop for new releases it's pretty pathetic. Never heard of this one but I bet I'll like it, whenever I see it. I love Heist movies and also enjoy Guy Ritchie movies so odds are good I will like it. Thanks!

The only movie I'd consider going to is a big action-type of movie. Anything else I'll just enjoy at home on my own system (which is decent enough, but nothing spectacular) .

It's definitely changed what types of films I see in the theaters... Used to see everything, especially art house indie stuff. Now, it's something I know packs a whallop visually that deserves to be seen in the big screen- regardless of type. Otherwise, yeah- I'll watch it on my TV.
Same here. With kids - which bring along the whole litany of issues such as childcare costs, guilt in doing something without them, better options for a "date" (golf, a nice dinner, more interactive options like bowling, axe throwing, or an escape room) - and with a good home entertainment system I think in the last ten years I've seen three movies in theaters: Mad Max: Fury Road (saw with a buddy), Top Gun: Maverick, and Dune 2 because they are were significantly enhanced by being in a nice theater.

I still love seeing movies in the theater. As good as the home theaters can be, it still doesn't compare to how immersed you can get into the screen and the sounds. And the popcorn of course, so much better than home.

But dealings with people...
Those on their phones (just the screen lighting up, not even someone talking)
Those who can't seem to whisper and feel a need to talk to who they are with,
etc just makes it less appealing.

With that, Deadpool & Wolverine would be one I will see in theaters.
The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare looks like a fun one to see in theaters.

Settling into Civil War. Two parents just walked in with their 2 and 4 year old kids.

I hope they're enjoying the ****ing Red Banner trailer for the ****ing new Bad Boys ****ing movie.

Oh, and the one for the horror movie.

SMH

Settling into Civil War. Two parents just walked in with their 2 and 4 year old kids.

I hope they're enjoying the ****ing Red Banner trailer for the ****ing new Bad Boys ****ing movie.

SMH
I still remember standing in line with my wife for Deadpool and the family in front of us were the mom, the dad, the son (10?) and the daughter (6?) who brought a blankie with her!!

Ohhhkay..so. Civil War...

I'm a broken record when it comes to A24 produced movies (I somehow missed this was one of their projects) - I just don't vibe with the stories they tell.

It actually reminded me a lot of Apocalypse Now in structure. In that flick Willard is the observer to the mayhem of war. The plot resolution isn't remotely the same though.

I THINK what it's trying to say is that there are no independent observers - but I'm not sure.

It's remarkably apolitical. Anyone drawing direct parallels to current public figures is just trying too hard.

See it in the theater? Not necessary
Rent it? I suppose. But I won't be actively recommending it to anyone in my circle.

"What's so civil about war anyway?"

I'm a broken record when it comes to A24 produced movies (I somehow missed this was one of their projects) - I just don't vibe with the stories they tell.

It actually reminded me a lot of Apocalypse Now in structure. In that flick Willard is the observer to the mayhem of war. The plot resolution isn't remotely the same though.

I THINK what it's trying to say is that there are no independent observers - but I'm not sure.

It's remarkably apolitical. Anyone drawing direct parallels to current public figures is just trying too hard.

Rent it? I suppose. But I won't be actively recommending it to anyone in my circle.

Does it give any plausible reason for Texas to be fighting alongside California? I failed my saving throw here.

Does it give any plausible reason for Texas to be fighting alongside California? I failed my saving throw here.
That's the conceit so that the context is clearly not "our" America. And generally the reasons for the war aren't really explored.

It's been said in professional reviews but the movie really is about journalism.

SMH
I still remember standing in line with my wife for Deadpool and the family in front of us were the mom, the dad, the son (10?) and the daughter (6?) who brought a blankie with her!!
Deadpool? 6 and 10? Maybe that's a safe range where they wouldn't pick up anything relatable or understandable, language wise?

I just can't fathom that. I have a 12 year old (girl) and a 9 year old (boy) and we watch all the Marvel stuff, some R horror or really inappropriate animation like Family Guy. And really cringe and hope he's not taking away much from that. But I told them the Deadpool trilogy is strictly 16-17. So i'm sure my daughter has already streamed the first two on her school laptop or whatever.

SMH
Deadpool? 6 and 10? Maybe that's a safe range where they wouldn't pick up anything relatable or understandable, language wise?

I just can't fathom that. I have a 12 year old (girl) and a 9 year old (boy) and we watch all the Marvel stuff, some R horror or really inappropriate animation like Family Guy. And really cringe and hope he's not taking away much from that. But I told them the Deadpool trilogy is strictly 16-17. So i'm sure my daughter has already streamed the first two on her school laptop or whatever.
Is she watching under the covers after she goes to bed?

I just got back from Civil War and really, really liked it. And totally think you need to see it in the theater. The intensity just wouldn't be captured at home. And the sounds and sights are fantastic. And should be seen and heard in the theater. It really terrific film making and I don't think you'd be as engrossed at home.

Users who are viewing this thread