What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Muslim flight attendant suspended for not serving booze (1 Viewer)

Here's novel idea...don't accept a job that requires you to do things you don't want to do?

I am concerned about religious liberty being infringed but in the cases of Kim Davis and this Muslim woman- I don't have any concerns.

First, in the case of Kim Davis, if you are a public servant then there is a certain amount of individual freedom you give up. Similar to teachers not really having real freedom of speech because there are certain things you can not do.

For the Muslim woman why would you take a job with a company where a significant part of your job is serving drinks (and alcohol) if you were uncomfortable with it because of your religious convictions? This is like a Christian taking a job at a strip club or Ashley Madison or whatever and then refusing to do what certain parts of the job because of your religious belief.

This world seems to be getting more and more bonkers to me.

Kim Davis = an elected official not fulfilling the duties of the electorate that elected her to follow.

Muslim flight attendant works for a private industry that an electorate has no say in what the company does for not following their rules.

People complaining about not being served alcohol on a plane have bigger issues to deal with if you can't go an hour or two without alcohol on a plane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kim Davis = an elected official not fulfilling the duties of the electorate that elected her to follow.

Muslim flight attendant works for a private industry that an electorate has no say in what the company does for not following their rules.

People complaining about not being served alcohol on a plane have bigger issues to deal with if you can't go an hour or two without alcohol on a plane.
Why do I have bigger issues to deal with? I pay for a service that includes accessibility to booze. I expect the service to be provided - completely - by the staff of the airline.

Obviously you don't travel much. (And before you go crazy.... I have never got an alcoholic drink on a plane)

From the link provided in the other thread:

However, Masri said, ExpressJet Airlines put Stanley on administrative leave after another attendant filed "an Islamophobic complaint" that referenced Stanley's head scarf.

Masri said the arrangement Stanley had with other attendants to serve alcohol for her had been working out fine since Stanley converted to Islam about a month after becoming a flight attendant for ExpressJet.

Sounds like the airline suspended her based on a complaint, not directly for refusing to serve alcohol. If it comes down to her refusing to do her job to the fullest, including serving alcohol, go find another job. There are other options for sure.

After reading the latest volokh piece, my opinion may be changing. Certainly sounds like this objection, and Kim Davis's, are protected by law. There are enough other flight attendants on the plane to "reasonably accomodate" one objector, so the duty falls to the airline to schedule her work around alcohol service.
What a pant load of bs. So some other schmuck has to always do the drink cart because this one doesn't want to? Sorry for your beliefs, now we are going to transfer you to our open position in the food department in Alberta. Hope you like it there or go gtfo and don't let the door hit you on the way.

Shut your whore mouth!

Why do I have bigger issues to deal with? I pay for a service that includes accessibility to booze. I expect the service to be provided - completely - by the staff of the airline.
""

I'm happy to help myself if need be, for I am reasonable and a team player. But would settle for her to #### and alert one of the other nurses to give me my brown liquor please and thank you. It's fly the friendly skies not fly the I'm going to withhold booze from you ha ha ha my unicorn said so skies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems employers need to now itemize every single detail of what the job entails you to do and have you initial next to it as you accept it. :crazy:

Seems employers need to now itemize every single detail of what the job entails you to do and have you initial next to it as you accept it. :crazy:
Except in this case, she was already a flight attendant that went and converted to Muslim. She very much knew what her job required her to do and I support her right to believe what she wants to, she knew that once she converted that she would no longer be able to do her job anymore.

After reading the latest volokh piece, my opinion may be changing. Certainly sounds like this objection, and Kim Davis's, are protected by law. There are enough other flight attendants on the plane to "reasonably accomodate" one objector, so the duty falls to the airline to schedule her work around alcohol service.
Problem with Kim Davis was she is the clerk who issues the licenses and has employees under her who do so in her name. She would not allow her employees to issues licenses either. If she had, there never would have been an issue.

Obviously you don't travel much. (And before you go crazy.... I have never got an alcoholic drink on a plane)
I've been on planes for 22 hours and don't feel the need to drink (unless they're free and then I'll partake). Not exactly the best atmosphere to get buzz going so I'm not going to waste my money.

Who applies for a flight attendant job and doesn't know they need to serve alcohol on flights?

Who applies for a flight attendant job and doesn't know they need to serve alcohol on flights?
Not this lady:

Masri said the arrangement Stanley had with other attendants to serve the alcohol for her had been working out just fine since Stanley converted to Islam about a month after becoming a flight attendant for ExpressJet.

The job requires you to serve alcohol. If it's against your beliefs to serve alcohol then you should have a different job. She should absolutely be relieved of her position just like the woman in Kentucky. Only reason Koufax got away with it was because he wasn't a position player.

I've been on planes for 22 hours and don't feel the need to drink (unless they're free and then I'll partake). Not exactly the best atmosphere to get buzz going so I'm not going to waste my money.
O RLY?

Personally, I am the same way. I also like to stay hydrated in general and for long internatinal flights even more so as a way to limit jet lag.

But to say that if someone can't go an 'hour or two' without a drink is silly. A customer certainly should have the right to complain about not being served just because the flight attendant has a religious objection. No reason why a customer should be put out in order to accomodate an employee.

Here's novel idea...don't accept a job that requires you to do things you don't want to do?
That's the problem. We've shifted from a society where a job was an agreement between the employer and employee to a society where a job is a right belonging to the employee.

They don't charge for booze in first class, loser.

Not sure why the Sandy Koufax thing keeps getting brought up. He had unique talent. This woman hands peanuts to people.

Not sure why the Sandy Koufax thing keeps getting brought up. He had unique talent. This woman hands peanuts ham sandwiches and booze to people.
Remember, this is ExpressJet. They probably don't have any flights long enough to have a ham sandwich on board. I'm also wondering how EJ could reasonably accommodate her given most of their planes are the commuter jets with just one FA.

Muslim flight attendant works for a private industry that an electorate has no say in what the company does for not following their rules.People complaining about not being served alcohol on a plane have bigger issues to deal with if you can't go an hour or two without alcohol on a plane.
Shut your whore mouth!
:goodposting: Can we get MK permabanned already?

Not new. There have been previous cases of Mooslim cabbies refusing to take a fare (who had booze from duty free shop) and grocery clerks who refused to ring-up pork. Even people who got jobs at meat packing facilities who refused to handle pork (as ridiculous as that is). SMH

If you can't go an hour or two, that's a problem. But it's your choice.

Still, not being served alcohol is a lot smaller an issue than not being able to marry.

Guess i dont see the big issue here. There are other flight attendants on the plane who can push the alcohol cart, she can do something else. Only the douchiest co-workers would have an issue with that. We have a number of nurses in the OR who wont do evacuations (abortions) because of their religious beliefs. Should they not work in the operating room? I dont love doing them but i will and have no issue switching rooms with someone who doesnt want to do them.

Users who are viewing this thread