What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Must have Handcuffs (1 Viewer)

Wrigley

Footballguy
Won't lie, I've just started getting ready for my football draft

Are there any major handcuffs I need to know about?

Trent Richardson --- handcuff with Montero Hardesty (cheap cuff in the 13th rnd)

Kevin Smith --- handcuff with Leshore (10th round)

Redmond -- handcuff with Mendenhall (10th round)

Ben TateToby Gerhart
I would argue against Ben Tate being a must have handcuff. For the price you have to pay for him, based on people's perception of him, you're better off just believing in foster or not because if foster stays healthy, Tate is little more than a very expensive roster space eater who you'll never get consistent enough production from to actually have in a lineup, yet won't be able to cut either. You can have a bonafide flex player and maybe one with good upside in their own right for what you will have to pay to take Tate. The other reality is that Tate isn't a plug and play replacement for foster. He can't do what foster does so, yes, while he has value if he plays INSTEAD of foster, based on what you will pay to get him, you won't be getting foster's production. The other guys all look like reasonable handcuffs that can be had cheap..as a handcuff should be. Otherwise, why not burn 6th round picks on Brian Hoyer and ray rice's backup.

The "must have" handcuffs have ADP's too high to make them worth the risk of the hedge. Stock up on guys with real chances to win jobs outright in those middle picks, and let others play the what-if game.

Only interest I have in a handcuff is if all three of these situations come through together on draft day...

...The situation for running the ball as a featured back with that team is SO juicy that virtually anybody who was given full time carries would be assured of a monster season, and...

...You are at the end of the draft, and your team has no depth at RB whatsoever, and...

...There are literally zero RB's with decent prospects of winning a position outright or starting from week one left on the board.

QB Foles ?

Vick is a top QB .... but you just know he's going to take a hit and be out a few games. With QB's so valuable, you cannot afford to not have a top QB and if Vick is what you choose?

Gotta have Foles right now I think

Owning DeMarco Murray, I think Felix Jones is a must-have handcuff. Not that Jones is an unbelievable talent, but Murray has a reputation of being injury-prone and Jones was good in relief of Murray last year. And the main selling point is that Jones' ADP is pretty far down. I got him in the 14th round in a 12-team league. The second Murray goes down, everyone is talking about how it was only a matter of time and Jones' value goes way up. Opportunity trumps talent when it comes to back-up RBs.

Ben TateToby Gerhart
I would argue against Ben Tate being a must have handcuff. For the price you have to pay for him, based on people's perception of him, you're better off just believing in foster or not because if foster stays healthy, Tate is little more than a very expensive roster space eater who you'll never get consistent enough production from to actually have in a lineup, yet won't be able to cut either. You can have a bonafide flex player and maybe one with good upside in their own right for what you will have to pay to take Tate. The other reality is that Tate isn't a plug and play replacement for foster. He can't do what foster does so, yes, while he has value if he plays INSTEAD of foster, based on what you will pay to get him, you won't be getting foster's production. The other guys all look like reasonable handcuffs that can be had cheap..as a handcuff should be. Otherwise, why not burn 6th round picks on Brian Hoyer and ray rice's backup.
You have that backwards. Tate is a great play if you want to wait on RB. He'll get you top 30 numbers consistently and has top 5 ability if vegan Foster goes down. No, I'm not saying top 30 numbers are exciting, but he'll get you some points every week with the potential for more.

I really think there are only a couple of true handcuffs that are going to be useful as legitimate starters if your guy goes down (in PPR leagues, since that's what I play). All guys should be able to be acquired late.

Felix Jones (Demarco Murray) - As annoying as he was as a highly hyped player the past few years, there is no doubt that he can put up adequate numbers if Murray goes down. With his ability to break big plays, he's probably good for 10-15 points in PPR most weeks, which is solid RB3 production.

Rashad Jennings (MJD) - If MJD doesn't play, he should be a solid RB2 or better, and if you're lucky, MJD gets traded and you'll get two starters out of it.

Montario Hardesty (Richardson) - He's kind of an idiot and he has struggled with injuries himself, but he has looked good in the preseason, so he could be useful if Richardson struggles to stay healthy this year.

Pierre Thomas (Sproles/Ingram) - I don't know if you could really consider him a "handcuff", but his cost is so low, you may as well grab him regardless of which New Orleans guy you take. If either goes down, he goes from being a borderline RB3 already to a solid RB2.

Kendall Hunter (Gore) - With the new injuries in San Fran, the backfield doesn't look so murky. I still think he's the best talent there, and there is a good chance he takes over for Gore this season, even without the usual injury.

That's it. There are other guys (Hillis, Bush, Ryan Williams, CJ Spiller, Williams/Stewart, etc.) who are decent starters in their own right, or have too much value to just consider as a "handcuff". There are also other guys who are thought of as handcuffs, but I don't think their valuable enough to matter if the starter goes down (Goodson, Brown, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not must's, but if cheap enough

Kevin Smith/LeShoure - if either go before round 8 don't worry about it but this is a great round 8/9 pairing imho - much prefer to J Stew/DeAng combo because they don't have a QB (and possibly another RB) vulturing at the goal line - Charles/Hillis combo is too expensive

Ben Tate - don't pay market value, wait for the drafter to drop him after a couple of weeks

Jacquizz Rodgers - given the feature job I expect him to flourish, but I also don't expect Turner to be on my teams

Rashad Jennings - gets a boost until MJD inks, even after an injury is more likely - not drafting MJD anywhere though

CJ Spiller - similar story to Tate

Michael Bush - rinse, repeat

David Wilson - and, again - he drops sometimes though

Ronnie Hillman - sold on the talent

Robert Turbin - likewise

Toby Gerhart - not sold on the talent, but effective enough if AD banged up

LMJ - not really a cuff and he may not see a big uptick if/when Gore gets hurt, but I think he'll get more than Hunter

Dion Lewis - you don't need to cuff him but you absolutely want him if Shady goes down - that said, as is, no one is touching him right now. Vick Ballard too.

James Jones, WR Packers...

Packers' Passing Offense is one of the League's best, and most consistent.

Greg Jennings definitely has some health risk attached to his value, as well as late-season rest and garbage-time benching potential.

If Jennings goes down, Jones will step in for him. I'm as enamored with Randall Cobb as anyone, but Jones' skill-set is much more compatible with Jordy Nelson, than Cobb's. Conversely, if Nelson were to get hurt, I'd expect Cobb to see the field more than Jones...but Cobb is moving up the charts. James Jones can be had in the next-to-last, to last round in anyone's Draft.

He's got a track record of producing in Jennings absence.

Even in a reserve roll, Jones has value as a flex play, especially in best ball and distance scoring formats.

Considering where you can get him, he's one of the best values there is, IMO...

Disagree on Jones being worth a roster spot in all but dynasty formats, one injury and he goes from option #5 to option #4, and it wouldn't surprise me if others behind him get more looks too, eating into his.

Kevin Smith/LeShoure - if either go before round 8 don't worry about it but this is a great round 8/9 pairing imho - much prefer to J Stew/DeAng combo because they don't have a QB (and possibly another RB) vulturing at the goal line - Charles/Hillis combo is too expensive

Ben Tate - don't pay market value, wait for the drafter to drop him after a couple of weeks

Jacquizz Rodgers - given the feature job I expect him to flourish, but I also don't expect Turner to be on my teams

Rashad Jennings - gets a boost until MJD inks, even after an injury is more likely - not drafting MJD anywhere though

Robert Turbin - likewise

LMJ - not really a cuff and he may not see a big uptick if/when Gore gets hurt, but I think he'll get more than Hunter

Dion Lewis - you don't need to cuff him but you absolutely want him if Shady goes down - that said, as is, no one is touching him right now. Vick Ballard too.
With all due respect, I think the bolded is crazy talk.

Robert Turbin - likewise

why's that? you're crystal ball must be better than his

Robert Turbin - likewise

why's that? you're crystal ball must be better than his
I think LMJ is a gadget player this year with Hunter firmly entrenched at the #2. Assuming good health, Hunter >> LMJ this season and I think by a decent margin. Going forward, Hunter and LMJ should be quite the duo for years to come, though.

Robert Turbin - likewise

Depends how you feel about LMJ. I think he's everything Sproles is.

Ben TateToby Gerhart
You have that backwards. Tate is a great play if you want to wait on RB. He'll get you top 30 numbers consistently and has top 5 ability if vegan Foster goes down. No, I'm not saying top 30 numbers aremexciting, but he'll get you some points every week with the potential for more.
Uhhhhhh... not so much. Tate was 50th among RBs when Foster played last year, and he has zero chance at top-5 even if Foster goes down because he isn't a factor as a receiver.

Leon Washington looks like a better back to me at this point than Turbin, too. If Lynch gets suspended/injured, I think Leon gets the veteran nod more often than Turbin.

As a DB owner, it seems like Ballard is almost becoming a must.

There are still some teams where the handcuff could actually be the RB1 by week 1, sadly.

Ben TateToby Gerhart
You have that backwards. Tate is a great play if you want to wait on RB. He'll get you top 30 numbers consistently and has top 5 ability if vegan Foster goes down. No, I'm not saying top 30 numbers aremexciting, but he'll get you some points every week with the potential for more.
Uhhhhhh... not so much. Tate was 50th among RBs when Foster played last year, and he has zero chance at top-5 even if Foster goes down because he isn't a factor as a receiver.
Do we know hes not a factor as a receiver? or is that an assumption based on them not giving him the opportunity yet? He caught 13 opf his 19 targets last year so unless they were all horrible drops, I dont think his receiving ability is something we can form a conclusion on.and ok, he wont be top 5, I think he certainly would have a shot at being a top 10 back(RB1) if Foster goes down. He did average 5.4 YPC last year...just sayingso I agree hes not worth his current ADP, but I think saying Tate isn't a factor if Foster goes down is ignorant.

QB Foles ?Vick is a top QB .... but you just know he's going to take a hit and be out a few games. With QB's so valuable, you cannot afford to not have a top QB and if Vick is what you choose?Gotta have Foles right now I think
I can't believe Nick Foles posts here.

Top-10 without Foster? Sure. The other guy said top-30 with Foster and top-5 without, neither of which make sense based on what happened last year.

but I think saying Tate isn't a factor if Foster goes down is ignorant.
I recommend reading the lengthy Tate thread, probably has a post sometime this month. Tate is a non-factor as long as Foster is healthy, not even a flex option. Imho he is a RB1 if Foster goes down, but that's a pretty big opportunity cost to sit and wait on that instead of picking up someone else who could provide value without needing an injury in front of him.

Ben Tate

Toby Gerhart
I agree. I think some owners overvalue Tate as though he is a 3-down back.

Disagree on Jones being worth a roster spot in all but dynasty formats, one injury and he goes from option #5 to option #4, and it wouldn't surprise me if others behind him get more looks too, eating into his.
Again, the Packers Passing Offense generates an incredible amount of catches, yardage and TD's, easily enough to produce 2 FF #1's (Top 12), and a mid-#2-#3 (18-36).The Top 5 WR currently on the Packers Roster are Jennings, Nelson and then Cobb/Jones/Driver in some order.Greg Jennings and Jordy Nelson are two very different receivers.Randall Cobb is almost a carbon-copy of a young Donald Driver. Both of them have skill sets far more similar to Jordy Nelson than Greg Jennings.James Jones is the closest thing the Packers have to Jennings. Much more similar than Nelson, Driver and Cobb.For the Packers offense to work in the absence of Jennings, it doesn't replicate the scheme putting Nelson/Cobb or Nelson/Driver or Nelson/Cobb/Driver on the field without a prototypical split end/flanker on the other outside WR spot. Cobb and Driver are not that. James Jones is that guy, and will most likely be the guy receiving the most snaps if Jennings is out for any length of time. It's trended that way in the past, and because Jones and Cobb are quite different players, Cobb's development and Driver's presence shouldn't impact that.Getting a key piece of the Packers Offense, and one who has an attractive baseline with tremendous upside potential in the final round of a Draft absolutely screams 'value', IMO...but, to each his own...

Users who are viewing this thread