What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My ball mentality vs. Aggressive catcher (1 Viewer)

Cipherchris

Footballguy
Been trying to get the Wildman or Sig to answer this question for me on twitter (@chris_cheung28)

But what is the difference between my ball mentality and aggressive catcher? can someone name some examples

i think aggressive means they attack the ball rather than waiting until it falls into their hands

and i guess myball means they are more likely to complete catch after it touches their hands

aggressiveness when the ball is arriving is the essence of "my ball mentality". MBM means coming back to the, snatching it out of the air instead of letting it get to your body, banging in the air like a rebounder if necessary, high pointing the ball, taking away a contested ball from the defender... all of those qualities that are indicative of a receiver playing like the ball belongs to him.

MBM is one of the most over-used catch phrases in the daily e-mail, along with the usually premature "not the player he used to be" and "WR2 with upside".

MBM is one of the most over-used catch phrases in the daily e-mail, along with the usually premature "not the player he used to be" and "WR2 with upside".
Someday, when you have your own kids, you will have to explain to your boy what should be running through his head when the ball is in the air. Being able to come down with a ball in traffic or get it at its high point is an exercise in focus and mental toughness. There is also considerable technique involved with getting your body in position on a defender to give yourself a chance to make the catch.The phrase is not overused. It is just poorly understood.

Someday, when you have your own kids, you will have to explain to your boy what should be running through his head when the ball is in the air. Being able to come down with a ball in traffic or get it at its high point is an exercise in focus and mental toughness. There is also considerable technique involved with getting your body in position on a defender to give yourself a chance to make the catch.The phrase is not overused. It is just poorly understood.
Which is what exactly?

Which is what exactly?
Depends on the route and age of the child involved. For the most part, boys younger than 10 have a tendency to continue running their route, regardless of where the ball is going to land.

Which is what exactly?
Do you honestly feel like there are not certain receivers who go after the ball with a little more tenacity than others? Do you actually WATCH much football?

Which is what exactly?
Do you honestly feel like there are not certain receivers who go after the ball with a little more tenacity than others? Do you actually WATCH much football?
jurb26 was just :fishing:

I like Sig's explanation of MBM.

I think there is more.

The receiver also has to have an understanding of what the official is going to call a penalty and how to be able get away with small nudges and pushoffs when contesting a ball. It's the game within the game and a subtle art of getting away with as much as you can.

A lot of receivers can run great routes and show discipline in timing patterns. But It's the MBM receivers who adjust in midflight of errant passes and like cats adjust their hips to take akward angles to the ball, often through the defenders basket. Outstanding body control and ability to switch up hand position to snare a ball off the hips or at the defenders ears, generally extending the arms in any direction as an extending receiving diameter. Those are the "F-U, it's my damn ball" guys. It's an instinct that can't be taught, mostly because its complex to operate that many body muscles in the wink of an eye. The elite ones can do it, and the run of the mill ones get it swatted away or intercepted. It's the MBM guys that maximize their targets because they catch the balls they aren't supposed to.

I like Sig's explanation of MBM.

I think there is more.

The receiver also has to have an understanding of what the official is going to call a penalty and how to be able get away with small nudges and pushoffs when contesting a ball. It's the game within the game and a subtle art of getting away with as much as you can.

A lot of receivers can run great routes and show discipline in timing patterns. But It's the MBM receivers who adjust in midflight of errant passes and like cats adjust their hips to take akward angles to the ball, often through the defenders basket. Outstanding body control and ability to switch up hand position to snare a ball off the hips or at the defenders ears, generally extending the arms in any direction as an extending receiving diameter. Those are the "F-U, it's my damn ball" guys. It's an instinct that can't be taught, mostly because its complex to operate that many body muscles in the wink of an eye. The elite ones can do it, and the run of the mill ones get it swatted away or intercepted. It's the MBM guys that maximize their targets because they catch the balls they aren't supposed to.
Nice to know that I was elite back in the day. :thumbup: :football:

You are one bizarre cat. I completely understand the definition of the phrase. I'm just saying it gets thrown around a LOT in the daily e-mails.

Which is what exactly?
Ejurb26 was just :fishing:
No, not fishing at all. I've played several levels of football in my life and coach some as well. I've never once heard a coach telling me or another player what should be going on in his head when the ball is in the air. Maybe a few generic statements like you "you have to want it.". Teaching the technique of high pointing a ball doesn't qualify for what is being discussed IMO. Neither does coming back to the ball. Those are standard techniques to the position and tools to coaching the route. My ball mentality is a natural instinct that I've never seen effectively coached into anyone. Guys either have it or they don't.

My ball mentality is a natural instinct that I've never seen effectively coached into anyone. Guys either have it or they don't.
If you can't teach kids, then what is the point in coaching? I disagree with you 100%.
So back to my original question then... What are you telling them they should be thinking that works? Perhaps this time w/o all the smartalic remarks. I've seen better technique taught many times.

My ball mentality is a natural instinct that I've never seen effectively coached into anyone. Guys either have it or they don't.
If you can't teach kids, then what is the point in coaching? I disagree with you 100%.
So back to my original question then... What are you telling them they should be thinking that works? Perhaps this time w/o all the smartalic remarks. I've seen better technique taught many times.
As I said before: :fishing:

I used to have all kinds of things going through my head when the ball was in the air. I'm not sure I could verbalize it all very well, but I think I could talk through it with a kid who I was trying to coach.And why isn't coming back to the ball a good example? You may call it technique, but I might call it something that someone has to think about and do. Also something like diving for a ball vs. running through your route.

I used to have all kinds of things going through my head when the ball was in the air. I'm not sure I could verbalize it all very well, but I think I could talk through it with a kid who I was trying to coach.And why isn't coming back to the ball a good example? You may call it technique, but I might call it something that someone has to think about and do. Also something like diving for a ball vs. running through your route.
Running routes properly is a matter of repetition. Maybe it's JMO, but it's a trained technique that is used to reduce the angle the DB has on the ball. It's a simple drill, like high pointing, that is done at almost every level of football. The optimal situation for any coach is that players don't think about those things. They are so well ingrained that they do them naturally with out thought. It is only then that a players maximum ability can be harnessed. Of course all thinking can never be taken out of things, but reducing it to its lowest level allows for a players natural athletic ability to take over.Personally, I think the term MBM should only ever be used when referring to DBs. Aggressive catchers should only be used for WRs.

Running routes properly is a matter of repetition. Maybe it's JMO, but it's a trained technique that is used to reduce the angle the DB has on the ball. It's a simple drill, like high pointing, that is done at almost every level of football. The optimal situation for any coach is that players don't think about those things. They are so well ingrained that they do them naturally with out thought. It is only then that a players maximum ability can be harnessed. Of course all thinking can never be taken out of things, but reducing it to its lowest level allows for a players natural athletic ability to take over.Personally, I think the term MBM should only ever be used when referring to DBs. Aggressive catchers should only be used for WRs.
Well the fact that there is a certain amount of thinking involved makes me believe that it might be possible to coach someone up in MBM, or aggressive catching, or whatever you want to call it. Just the fact that you process the flight of the ball plus the position of the defender (consciously or unconsciously) should be enough. I'm not 100% positive, just trying to think through it.

Users who are viewing this thread