What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Formal Apology to Jason Garrett (1 Viewer)

Gotta love that the 2014 draft 2nd rounder, Demarcus Lawrence is already a superstar without having played a single snap.

Seems premature.
By what measure?

Garrett has orchestrated over the past three years:

The best O line in football today

The best running back in football today

The best Wide receiver core in football today

The offense has the best 3rd down %

The defense is in the top 3 in 3rd down stops

and they're 6-1.

I don't know how you measure solid growth. From my chair, this team is heading in a very positive direction. Hey, I know there is a long way to go and entire season is still left to play. I get that. No one understands that more than me. All I am saying is Garrett has done a great job putting us in a position to be strong down the stretch when the weather turns and games get big.
Do you or anybody outside the Cowboys HQ know what exactly Garrett does? Jerrah is the self-appointed GM who is revising history to take credit for the herschel trade.

Was it his decision to switch offensive play-callers? (Asking, i really don't know)

To a hayter, Garrett's biggest positive is his ability to let Jerrah pull the strings.

Everything is coming up roses now, but let's wait and see when a team has stopped them and what he does to counter.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
You Cowboy people. The team is mediocre, you abandon ship. Oh look now they're winning! Unbelievable.
Couldn't agree more. I live in philly so obviously we hate Dallas. I listen to sports talk radio every morning and for the past 10 years no cowboys fans called the sports radio station I listen to to brag. All of a sudden they are having a good start with Murray and they come crawling out like ####### cockroaches. Where were you when cowboys were a laughing stock and the definition of mediocrity. Went 8-8 like 3 season and were a joke. Cowboys will come crashing down. Murray cannot keep the pace he is on and is literally THE ONLY reason you are 6-1. If keeps your ####ty defense off of the field from getting exposed and we all know what Romo does when the pressure is on. Can't stand roaches and those are the cowboys fans 100%!
Excellent posting
Lol, you're dirty filthy people who haven never win ANYTHING.

Gotta love Eagles fans who brag all the time about literally, nothing.

Seems premature.
By what measure?Garrett has orchestrated over the past three years:

and they're 6-1.

I don't know how you measure solid growth. From my chair, this team is heading in a very positive direction. Hey, I know there is a long way to go and entire season is still left to play. I get that. No one understands that more than me. All I am saying is Garrett has done a great job putting us in a position to be strong down the stretch when the weather turns and games get big.
Do you or anybody outside the Cowboys HQ know what exactly Garrett does? Jerrah is the self-appointed GM who is revising history to take credit for the herschel trade.

Was it his decision to switch offensive play-callers? (Asking, i really don't know)

To a hayter, Garrett's biggest positive is his ability to let Jerrah pull the strings.

Everything is coming up roses now, but let's wait and see when a team has stopped them and what he does to counter.
Jerry isn't running the show anymore, that's the difference.

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
I wouldn't have gone as far as starting a thread on it but the kid is right.

I wa really down on Garrett and I admit I still don't like his buddy buddy relationship with Romo but after I started listening to podcasts of the local media, I'm on board. They all rave about Garrett and how Garrett has finally gotten Jerry to back off. They talk about how he's a mix of Landry and Jimmy.
HFS :lmao:
In philosophy, not merit. He coaches/ preaches what they taught.

Packers have better receivers.

Garret is fine. Hope he doesn't "bang a timeout" and cost his team any victories this year.

I look forward to the Packers dismantling Dallas in the NFCC game. Still sore about how many times the Cowboys owned Favre.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, just for the record, if deMarco Murray's workload becomes an issue down the stretch, is Jason Garrett still a Super Genius?

So, just for the record, if deMarco Murray's workload becomes an issue down the stretch, is Jason Garrett still a Super Genius?
Look Murray is going to run until he can't period. If that means he gets 400 carries so be it. L Johnson got that many. Emmitt had 370 and 350 multiple times. A few other back had over 350 carries, Curtis Martin, Shawn Alexander, Steven Jackson come to mind. So why is this some kind of issue. He broke his ankle and was rolled up on another time. It's football. The guy is a work out warrior and if they didn't think he could do it they wouldn't give him the rock. When you have a horse running like he is, you saddle him up, loosen bit, water him down and..........RUN him. It's that simple. You know, if you look who is tackling him, it's secondary guys. The linemen are handled for the most part and the LB's are having to catch him or take angles. You don't see him taking shots, he dishing out the licks. All you need to see is the last three runs against Seattle. Watch the defenders get up. You will see what I mean.

Bottom line is you can't play or coach this game scared. You do that you lose. Win while you can because tomorrow is coming and it doesn't care what you did yesterday.

You all been listening to the talking heads to much. :bs:

Look Murray is going to run until he can't period. If that means he gets 400 carries so be it. L Johnson got that many. Emmitt had 370 and 350 multiple times. A few other back had over 350 carries, Curtis Martin, Shawn Alexander, Steven Jackson come to mind. So why is this some kind of issue. He broke his ankle and was rolled up on another time. It's football. The guy is a work out warrior and if they didn't think he could do it they wouldn't give him the rock. When you have a horse running like he is, you saddle him up, loosen bit, water him down and..........RUN him. It's that simple. You know, if you look who is tackling him, it's secondary guys. The linemen are handled for the most part and the LB's are having to catch him or take angles. You don't see him taking shots, he dishing out the licks. All you need to see is the last three runs against Seattle. Watch the defenders get up. You will see what I mean.

Bottom line is you can't play or coach this game scared. You do that you lose. Win while you can because tomorrow is coming and it doesn't care what you did yesterday.

Yeah but they shoot horses when they break an ankle

Garrett has been a .500 HC. Yes, the Cowboys are 6-1, but I think I'd wait to do something like this after they actually do something in the post season.

Yeah but the ankle is still broke!

Garrett has been a .500 HC. Yes, the Cowboys are 6-1, but I think I'd wait to do something like this after they actually do something in the post season.
One step at a time, one step at a time. There are bound to be bumps in the road but that's what builds character. This team has a few lessons to learn yet. It's young and young teams still have much to learn. I do understand that. But 6-1 is 6-1 and having your offense running the way it is, is nothing to sneeze at.

Seems premature.
By what measure?

and they're 6-1.

No

SaintsInDome2006 said:
You Cowboy people. The team is mediocre, you abandon ship. Oh look now they're winning! Unbelievable.
Couldn't agree more. I live in philly so obviously we hate Dallas. I listen to sports talk radio every morning and for the past 10 years no cowboys fans called the sports radio station I listen to to brag. All of a sudden they are having a good start with Murray and they come crawling out like ####### cockroaches. Where were you when cowboys were a laughing stock and the definition of mediocrity. Went 8-8 like 3 season and were a joke. Cowboys will come crashing down. Murray cannot keep the pace he is on and is literally THE ONLY reason you are 6-1. If keeps your ####ty defense off of the field from getting exposed and we all know what Romo does when the pressure is on. Can't stand roaches and those are the cowboys fans 100%!
Excellent posting
Lol, you're dirty filthy people who haven never win ANYTHING.

Gotta love Eagles fans who brag all the time about literally, nothing.
Talking facts on how bad the cowboys are is not bragging. The truth hurts brah suck it up and get used to it. As long as Jerry is the gm cowboys will never win anything.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Excellent posting
Lol, you're dirty filthy people who haven never win ANYTHING.Gotta love Eagles fans who brag all the time about literally, nothing.
Talking facts on how bad the cowboys are is not bragging. The truth hurts brah suck it up and get used to it. As long as Jerry is the gm cowboys will never win anything.
Normally I'd agree with you since Eagle fans are the absolute authority on losing, however whether you think Jimmy did it or Jerry did it, technically Jerry already has three Super Bowls, "bruh".

Seems premature.
By what measure?

and they're 6-1.

The best OL in football?

The best RB in football?

The best WR corps in football?

you're 0-for-3 there chum.

Its OK to be excited about the success your team has had thru 7 weeks. I get it. We in Philly used to get excited when our team had similar successes back in the early 2000's. It doesn't put any hardware in the trophy case, but it is fun to exaggerate your strengths.

Reality is, when the Eagles get Kelce and Mathis back, you won't even have the best OL in your own division. Y

Murray is solid, but is a product of your good line. Put him behind an average line, and he's an above-average RB at best (see the last few seasons).

I can think of multiple WR corps I'd rather have over Bryant/Williams. I'll start with Thomas/Sanders/Welker in Denver, and continue on to Jones/White in Atlanta. Do you really want me to continue?

The reason there are no more dynasties anymore is because the difference between very good teams and mediocre team is very small. Consider:

-Dallas fell behind the Rams 21-0 to a 3rd string QB. They come back to win but easily could have lost that game.

-Beat the Texans when Romo turns a sure sack into a TD and then Bryant makes a ridiculous catch of a 3rd and 9 ball in OT. Dallas could have lost that game.

-Beat Seattle when again, Romo avoids a sack on 3rd and 20 to get the first down with the Cowboys trailing in the 4th quarter. Another game they could have lost.

So the margin between 6-1 and 3-4 is not much.

Dallas has a really good offense and Garrett has gotten out of his own way by letting someone else call the plays. The defense has more talent than expected and Marinelli is doing a great job. They also have one of the best kickers in the league. That is the good news. The bad news is they are relying on an aging QB who is coming off back surgery and an oft injured RB who is probably going to get the most touches of any RB this year if he stays healthy. If one of them goes down, things will not be as easy as they have been on offense.

My Eagles are 5-1 and I am happy about that but I have no illusions that they could have lost all but one of their games. Speaking with this much hyperbole about one's team should probably be done at the end of the season rather than in the middle. A little bit of putting the cart before the horse.

I would be worried about the workload. We're not talking about a 350 pace, we're talking about a 420+ pace, not even including receptions.

I would be worried about the workload. We're not talking about a 350 pace, we're talking about a 420+ pace, not even including receptions.
Not in the least bit worried. Murray is a grown man, if he thought he needed a break or the coaches thought he needed one he would get it. They see him every single day of the week. We see him on Sundays. I don't even think twice about it. Rumble young man Rumble.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
yup....you would have thought the Seahawks game was the Super Bowl.

Its not how you start, its how you finish.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Based on merch sales, ticket sales, and TV viewership, the Cowboys are one of the most consistent year-to-year. It's been a brutal 15+ years and the team is still, consistently, a top team in popularity.

Call us annoying or delusional, if you'd like. But fair-weather we are not.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Based on merch sales, ticket sales, and TV viewership, the Cowboys are one of the most consistent year-to-year. It's been a brutal 15+ years and the team is still, consistently, a top team in popularity.

Call us annoying or delusional, if you'd like. But fair-weather we are not.
:moneybag: post right here.

Relax Eagles fans. We're not talking Super Bowl or just saying we were wrong about Garrett.

It's called eating crow not bragging about a team.

cowboyz1 said:
The reason there are no more dynasties anymore is because the difference between very good teams and mediocre team is very small. Consider:

-Dallas fell behind the Rams 21-0 to a 3rd string QB. They come back to win but easily could have lost that game.

-Beat the Texans when Romo turns a sure sack into a TD and then Bryant makes a ridiculous catch of a 3rd and 9 ball in OT. Dallas could have lost that game.

-Beat Seattle when again, Romo avoids a sack on 3rd and 20 to get the first down with the Cowboys trailing in the 4th quarter. Another game they could have lost.

So the margin between 6-1 and 3-4 is not much.

Dallas has a really good offense and Garrett has gotten out of his own way by letting someone else call the plays. The defense has more talent than expected and Marinelli is doing a great job. They also have one of the best kickers in the league. That is the good news. The bad news is they are relying on an aging QB who is coming off back surgery and an oft injured RB who is probably going to get the most touches of any RB this year if he stays healthy. If one of them goes down, things will not be as easy as they have been on offense.

My Eagles are 5-1 and I am happy about that but I have no illusions that they could have lost all but one of their games. Speaking with this much hyperbole about one's team should probably be done at the end of the season rather than in the middle. A little bit of putting the cart before the horse.
First off, when we argue that we could have or should have won this game but lost, we get put down saying its about the record. When you say our line is not as good but then turn around and say Murray is breaking a record that has stood for 56 years and is "running well" because of our GOOD line that doesn't make sense. Then you turn around and tell me that your line is just as good if not better but McCoy can't run behind it and he is a far better running back. McCoy has NEVER in my recollection, EVER run for 7 straight 100 yard games to start a season. I am not at all thinking that this team is SB bound but what I am saying is this team is 6-1 and playing really good football. Could it change, yes. Could we get hurt, yes. But I see no reason not to praise this team for what is has done and is doing RIGHT NOW.

The wonderful part about this game is we will find out. We'll see you two times this year. I sure hope we are both healthy so the game will be played at full strength for both teams. Should be two epic games. CAn't wait to see who's who and what's what.
I said nothing about the Cowboy's line or the Eagle's line or Lesean McCoy so you must be confusing me with someone else.

I am happy you are happy with your team's success so far. However when you use terms like "Powerhouse" and "Juggernaut" and make comparisons "like the glory days" I think you are giving your team too much credit for not enough success.

Yes, the Cowboy/Eagles games will be a lot of fun this year. Whoever wins the division should be in pretty good shape for the playoffs. The other should be a very dangerous WC team.

Relax Eagles fans. We're not talking Super Bowl or just saying we were wrong about Garrett.

Since Garrett has coached in and won zero playoff games, is it correct to say you are wrong about him?

Why not wait until he has his first winning season and wins a playoff game before you eat crow?

Seems premature.
By what measure?

and they're 6-1.

The best OL in football?

The best RB in football?

The best WR corps in football?

you're 0-for-3 there chum.

Its OK to be excited about the success your team has had thru 7 weeks. I get it. We in Philly used to get excited when our team had similar successes back in the early 2000's. It doesn't put any hardware in the trophy case, but it is fun to exaggerate your strengths.

Reality is, when the Eagles get Kelce and Mathis back, you won't even have the best OL in your own division. Y

Murray is solid, but is a product of your good line. Put him behind an average line, and he's an above-average RB at best (see the last few seasons).

I can think of multiple WR corps I'd rather have over Bryant/Williams. I'll start with Thomas/Sanders/Welker in Denver, and continue on to Jones/White in Atlanta. Do you really want me to continue?
First off, when we argue that we could have or should have won this game but lost, we get put down saying its about the record. When you say our line is not as good but then turn around and say Murray is breaking a record that has stood for 56 years and is "running well" because of our GOOD line that doesn't make sense. Then you turn around and tell me that your line is just as good if not better but McCoy can't run behind it and he is a far better running back. McCoy has NEVER in my recollection, EVER run for 7 straight 100 yard games to start a season. I am not at all thinking that this team is SB bound but what I am saying is this team is 6-1 and playing really good football. Could it change, yes. Could we get hurt, yes. But I see no reason not to praise this team for what is has done and is doing RIGHT NOW.

The wonderful part about this game is we will find out. We'll see you two times this year. I sure hope we are both healthy so the game will be played at full strength for both teams. Should be two epic games. CAn't wait to see who's who and what's what.

Congrats Dallas fans, your team is the current darling of the NFL. And playing well enough to deserve it, I might add. Kinda reminds me of a time long ago - 2013 to be exact - when one of the greatest coaches to ever grace the sidelines had his team on an astounding 9-0 run. How this coach could ever be fired from a team was unthinkable. But then 9-0 became 2-5 and now 5-8 since. With a historic post-season collapse thrown in for good measure.

Enjoy it, Cowboys fans as it certainly is a nice ride. Never know what the 2nd half may bring. And don't look now but the Eagles only have 1 loss as well (and getting healthier).

I said nothing about the Cowboy's line or the Eagle's line or Lesean McCoy so you must be confusing me with someone else.

I am happy you are happy with your team's success so far. However when you use terms like "Powerhouse" and "Juggernaut" and make comparisons "like the glory days" I think you are giving your team too much credit for not enough success.

Yes, the Cowboy/Eagles games will be a lot of fun this year. Whoever wins the division should be in pretty good shape for the playoffs. The other should be a very dangerous WC team.
dude I am sorry. I was responding to the other guy one above you and somehow you got quoted. My clicking skills or off today. I have had no sleep cause of a shot of steroids I got at the hospital to kill this headache I have had. Forgive me I was not responding to you. deleted the post. Sorry about that. :doh:

dude I am sorry. I was responding to the other guy one above you and somehow you got quoted. My clicking skills or off today. I have had no sleep cause of a shot of steroids I got at the hospital to kill this headache I have had. Forgive me I was not responding to you. deleted the post. Sorry about that. :doh:
No problem. Classy apology. Good luck the rest of the way.

I haven't read the whole thread but this should've been in the Cowboys thread. All making a thread about it can do is be available for people to point at about all Cowboys fans in things fall apart. I too however enjoy Eagles fans with their chirping (which is what creating a stand alone thread about this invites however) when, in my albeit possibly homer opinion, the Cowboys record is much more legitimate than that of the Eagles current record. Still have both games to be played which will probably lead to the division winner; should be good.

Eta: Just incase this is necessary like I said I haven't read most of the replies and the Eagles bit isn't about anyone in particular. Just some things Ive seen from some Eagles fans around the board.

Very good analysis my friend. ...very well put. I will add that a few of my fellow Cowboy brethren that have absolutely slammed Garrett and the organization should chime in as well (some have). I won't say names but they know who they are. 6-1 is not a guarantee SB appearance, division clincher or even a playoff spot but dammit you have to see the "process" that has been underway for some time. I will add that the telling fact was when Wade was fired and the team was left for dead...but they responded during that '10 season.

Here's to hoping that the experience that JG gained during the SB glory years comes to fruition....remember the Special Teams draft?...just imagine what if?
Well, I am likely one of the fans you are calling out. So, I will respond.

My history of comments would show a couple of consistent complaints that I will again talk about. My old complaints were:

-Terrible offensive game calling (too pass happy) and terrible in game management and situational football knowledge by Garrett. I could list dozens of examples.

-I have for the last few years preached the absolute need to build on both sides of the line. I was one of only 1 or 2 Cowboy fans to slam the Mo Claiborne trade up. I was also one of few who liked the Frederick pick (I was angry of the value of the trade down...not the player)

-I was thrilled with the Martin pick despite half of our board wanting Johnny freaking football.

-Romo...I have been critical of his decisions and the situations his coaches put him in. Never about his talent.

-I have been complaining about the lack of identity on the offensive side of the ball. I was" pro" blowing it up and build from our lines out.

-I have also complained about the lack of toughness and leadership on the team.

-Said all along that Ware, while a great talent, is not a guy I wanted leading our team. He was historically unclutch in the 4th Quarter or any big games. A nice guy for sure....but no mean streak and not a baller.

So, fast forward to the start of this year. I was not high on our chances to play well. Who was? I honestly thought we would have another historically bad defense with the loss of Lee and Hatcher (I was fine with letting him go-based on $) and trying to replace that talent.

Present day...

-Finally a team with an offensive identity. Oline is going to pound you all day, eat your lunch and kill your will to want to tackle.

-I finally see some swagger, and some toughness. Loved seeing our guys mixing it up with other teams on a couple of occasions and especially in Seattle at the end of the first half.

-Finally using Romo the right way. Not needing him to carry the team every week and chuck the rock 50+ times a week. He was and is not that guy.

-Garrett. I am still neutral. I don't have specific complaints this year. He no longer calls plays and is surrounded by arguably the best supporting assistants in the entire NFL. He is fine, but I find it challenging to give him credit. I will hang up and listen though.

-I have also been nearly bang on every pick in my initial reaction to them (Frederick, Martin and Mo being a mistake) Other guys I was laughed at for wanting....were Dontario Poe with KC and Brockers with St. Louis. How did they turn out?

-This defense is showing that sacks are not everything, even though I would like a couple more. It's all about penetration and creating pressure which we are doing a decent job of. We do not miss Ware at all. I wish him the best in Denver, but I really don't miss him.

Outlook:

-We have some very winnable games coming up and hopefully can take care of business. However, it's a little early in the year to anoint our team as some mortal lock to walk to the Superbowl. If that makes me a negative fan, so be it. It's a week to week league, one injury could shatter everything. I will say we are a playoff team by the looks of things.

-Aside from Seattle, I don't feel like we have beaten anyone real good. We did struggle in both the Rams and Texans games. A win is a win, but it's noteworthy. I am eager to see how we match up against strong passing teams like the Eagles and Colts later in the year.

-We need to continue the run game. Would to see more sweeps and pulls with our athletic maulers on the line. We need to get some carries from our other backs to help balance our attack even further. More screens too!

-Hopefully the defense stays healthy and we are getting some pieces back soon too. They need to keep it up, playing fast, focusing on stripping the ball, rallying to the ball. Again, worried how we match up against elite passing teams, but time will tell.

-Win or lose, I am always a fan and won't apologize for voicing my opinions. That's what being a fan is all about and part of what makes it fun.

It's been one of the most enjoyable years to be a fan in quite a while.

Very good analysis my friend. ...very well put. I will add that a few of my fellow Cowboy brethren that have absolutely slammed Garrett and the organization should chime in as well (some have). I won't say names but they know who they are. 6-1 is not a guarantee SB appearance, division clincher or even a playoff spot but dammit you have to see the "process" that has been underway for some time. I will add that the telling fact was when Wade was fired and the team was left for dead...but they responded during that '10 season.

Here's to hoping that the experience that JG gained during the SB glory years comes to fruition....remember the Special Teams draft?...just imagine what if?
Well, I am likely one of the fans you are calling out. So, I will respond.

My history of comments would show a couple of consistent complaints that I will again talk about. My old complaints were:

-Terrible offensive game calling (too pass happy) and terrible in game management and situational football knowledge by Garrett. I could list dozens of examples.

-I have for the last few years preached the absolute need to build on both sides of the line. I was one of only 1 or 2 Cowboy fans to slam the Mo Claiborne trade up. I was also one of few who liked the Frederick pick (I was angry of the value of the trade down...not the player)

-I was thrilled with the Martin pick despite half of our board wanting Johnny freaking football.

-Romo...I have been critical of his decisions and the situations his coaches put him in. Never about his talent.

-I have been complaining about the lack of identity on the offensive side of the ball. I was" pro" blowing it up and build from our lines out.

-I have also complained about the lack of toughness and leadership on the team.

-Said all along that Ware, while a great talent, is not a guy I wanted leading our team. He was historically unclutch in the 4th Quarter or any big games. A nice guy for sure....but no mean streak and not a baller.

So, fast forward to the start of this year. I was not high on our chances to play well. Who was? I honestly thought we would have another historically bad defense with the loss of Lee and Hatcher (I was fine with letting him go-based on $) and trying to replace that talent.

Present day...

-Finally a team with an offensive identity. Oline is going to pound you all day, eat your lunch and kill your will to want to tackle.

-I finally see some swagger, and some toughness. Loved seeing our guys mixing it up with other teams on a couple of occasions and especially in Seattle at the end of the first half.

-Finally using Romo the right way. Not needing him to carry the team every week and chuck the rock 50+ times a week. He was and is not that guy.

-Garrett. I am still neutral. I don't have specific complaints this year. He no longer calls plays and is surrounded by arguably the best supporting assistants in the entire NFL. He is fine, but I find it challenging to give him credit. I will hang up and listen though.

-I have also been nearly bang on every pick in my initial reaction to them (Frederick, Martin and Mo being a mistake) Other guys I was laughed at for wanting....were Dontario Poe with KC and Brockers with St. Louis. How did they turn out?

-This defense is showing that sacks are not everything, even though I would like a couple more. It's all about penetration and creating pressure which we are doing a decent job of. We do not miss Ware at all. I wish him the best in Denver, but I really don't miss him.

Outlook:

-We have some very winnable games coming up and hopefully can take care of business. However, it's a little early in the year to anoint our team as some mortal lock to walk to the Superbowl. If that makes me a negative fan, so be it. It's a week to week league, one injury could shatter everything. I will say we are a playoff team by the looks of things.

-Aside from Seattle, I don't feel like we have beaten anyone real good. We did struggle in both the Rams and Texans games. A win is a win, but it's noteworthy. I am eager to see how we match up against strong passing teams like the Eagles and Colts later in the year.

-We need to continue the run game. Would to see more sweeps and pulls with our athletic maulers on the line. We need to get some carries from our other backs to help balance our attack even further. More screens too!

-Hopefully the defense stays healthy and we are getting some pieces back soon too. They need to keep it up, playing fast, focusing on stripping the ball, rallying to the ball. Again, worried how we match up against elite passing teams, but time will tell.

-Win or lose, I am always a fan and won't apologize for voicing my opinions. That's what being a fan is all about and part of what makes it fun.

It's been one of the most enjoyable years to be a fan in quite a while.
Good post, Bankerguy. Always enjoy your very realistic posts about the Cowboys, both positive and negative.

No problem. Classy apology. Good luck the rest of the way.
Thanks buddy, again sorry for the mistake.

I haven't read the whole thread but this should've been in the Cowboys thread. All making a thread about it can do is be available for people to point at about all Cowboys fans in things fall apart. I too however enjoy Eagles fans with their chirping (which is what creating a stand alone thread about this invites however) when, in my albeit possibly homer opinion, the Cowboys record is much more legitimate than that of the Eagles current record. Still have both games to be played which will probably lead to the division winner; should be good.

Eta: Just incase this is necessary like I said I haven't read most of the replies and the Eagles bit isn't about anyone in particular. Just some things Ive seen from some Eagles fans around the board.
Well that's were I am different. I'll be here to take my medicine if it comes to that. I have been a Cowboys fan since I was 7 and I'm 46 now. So I am man enough to take it when I having it coming and dish it out when I get the chance. My motto is, win if you can, lose if you must, but always talk ####. Especially to Eagles fans. So bring it on. I've got leather skin and a whip at my hip. This is my first time to crow about something in a long while,and I'll be damned if I sit in the hen house pickin out dough.

Truthfully I'm really not crowing much yet. Just extending acknowledgement to a our coach that I didn't think was takin care of business.

The beauty or ugly if you will in all of this. One of two things are going to happen. The Cowboys and Eagles are going to play and someone is going to win, and that someone is going to the playoffs. The loser is going home. Now if you can't get excited about that............I don't know what to tell you. Either way, I will be here to discuss it.

Seems premature.
By what measure?

and they're 6-1.

Best OLine is always debatable between a few teams (very good though)

Best running back I would not give you unless your talking fantasy (Charles for instance I would take instead but again very good)

Best WR corp I would not give you either (Bears and Denver I would take, heck even the Packers now with Adams coming on and having Nelson+Cobb, but again very good)

3rd down % (you are today but can you hold that rate doubtful, 57.4% rate, best team in the NFLs 2013 - Denver 48%, 2012 - New England 48%, 2011 - N.O. 55%, 2010 - N.O. 48%, so its very doubtful you keep at that 57% clip and you have S.D. behind you at 51.7% but you could likely end #1)

D-3rd down % not sure where you get your numbers (#1 Indy 25%, #2 Detroit 30%, #3 KC, .... #18 Dallas 41%)

As far as record I can't argue and that's all that really matters, you can only play the teams on your schedule and they are doing the right things. What has me worried about Dallas is this is their breakout possibly as a team and being consistently good when everyone is saying your good is hard, you have a RB that is really being worked (historically means there will be a downfall in the 2nd half), and you have an aging QB that has not had playoff success but this doesn't mean Romo can't be a great story come February.

Not an Eagles fan but if I were tearing down Garrett last year (I was not didn't care enough to even look) I would not be eating crow yet. I personally have the cowboy at 11-5 with likely a wild card. While this is good to getting to the playoffs that really isn't something consistent enough to say your that good of a coach. Heck look at Lovie Smith in Chicago he continually would have a breakout year followed by 2-3 down years, they also thought they had the next big thing....

Source for D 3rd Down %: http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-third-down-conversion-pct

Just to remind you Eagles fan that are so confident and hateful towards the 'Boys...

1) Game #1 last year Nick Foles had the worst game of his career and we absolutely destroyed Phil 17-3 with one of the worst defenses in history.

2) Game #2...as many NFL pundits have stated if Tony Romo had played there is a very strong possibility the Eagles would not have won the division and wouldn't have a reason to stick out their chest this year.As it was, It took Philly until 2:00 min left in the 4th quarter and a Orton Int to clinch. (Again, this with one of the worst defenses in NFL history)

3) In my opinion the Eagles are smoke and mirrors...basically a gimmick. The only thing consistent about them is their special teams and DL play. MCcoy is soft, Foles is a fluke and getting exposed. I won't even get started on Maclin, Ertz or Cooper (I do like Matthews)

I'll be here all season....... :boxing:

Just to remind you Eagles fan that are so confident and hateful towards the 'Boys...

1) Game #1 last year Nick Foles had the worst game of his career and we absolutely destroyed Phil 17-3 with one of the worst defenses in history.

2) Game #2...as many NFL pundits have stated if Tony Romo had played there is a very strong possibility the Eagles would not have won the division and wouldn't have a reason to stick out their chest this year.As it was, It took Philly until 2:00 min left in the 4th quarter and a Orton Int to clinch. (Again, this with one of the worst defenses in NFL history)

3) In my opinion the Eagles are smoke and mirrors...basically a gimmick. The only thing consistent about them is their special teams and DL play. MCcoy is soft, Foles is a fluke and getting exposed. I won't even get started on Maclin, Ertz or Cooper (I do like Matthews)

Did you even watch Game #1 last year? Foles had plenty of time early, he was missing wide open receivers. There were rumors that he came into that game with a groin injury and that is consistent with him not really stepping into his throws. After he went out, stopping Matt Barkley wasn't exactly hard to do. We will never know what Romo would have done in game #2, but if you going on history of how Dallas has performed with Romo in big games (playoff and playoff qualifying games), Their record is 1-6.

Eagles a fluke? Maybe, but let's see how each team has performed this year: Both lost close games to the Niners. Both beat the Rams, barely. Both had big come from behind road wins against contenders, the Eagles against Indy, Cowboys against the Seahawks. Both teams beat the Giants, both teams beat a lesser AFC south opponent (Eagles beat Jax, Cowboys beat Tenn). The Eagles beat the Redskins and the Cowboys beat the Saints and Texans.

I would say they have performed pretty evenly, so if the Eagles are a fluke then I think the Cowboys are a fluke as well.

OP: Garrett and Jerry are doing better than I expected them to. I think the team is pretty damn good.

MOB: It's only October! Stop acting like you won the Super Bowl! Your team hasn't done anything yet! Plenty of teams start hot and flame out! Your team chokes! Band-wagoner! You filthy roach! I can't wait until they lose in the playoffs; let's see what you have to say then! Your RB is going to get hurt! You can't keep this up! You haven't played anybody! You almost lost to the Rams! I can't wait for my team to destroy yours! The nerve!

OP: Garrett and Jerry are doing better than I expected them to. I think the team is pretty damn good.

MOB: It's only October! Stop acting like you won the Super Bowl! Your team hasn't done anything yet! Plenty of teams start hot and flame out! Your team chokes! Band-wagoner! You filthy roach! I can't wait until they lose in the playoffs; let's see if what you have to say then! Your RB is going to get hurt! You can't keep this up! You haven't played anybody! You almost lost to the Rams! I can't wait for my team to destroy yours! The nerve!
Read the OP a little more closely. You will see Powerhouse, Juggernaut, comparisons to the Glory Days. All a little premature.

MOB: It's only October! Stop acting like you won the Super Bowl! Your team hasn't done anything yet! Plenty of teams start hot and flame out! Your team chokes! Band-wagoner! You filthy roach! I can't wait until they lose in the playoffs; let's see if what you have to say then! Your RB is going to get hurt! You can't keep this up! You haven't played anybody! You almost lost to the Rams! I can't wait for my team to destroy yours! The nerve!
Read the OP a little more closely. You will see Powerhouse, Juggernaut, comparisons to the Glory Days. All a little premature.
The glory days reference was to the offensive line/running game and the 2014 version is statistically better. Depending on what numbers you want to look at--it's the best ever over a similar stretch. Yes, it's only a 7 game stretch. That doesn't mean we have to pretend it's not happening.

The team is a powerhouse and juggernaut by today's NFL standards. Yes, the team might stumble in the playoffs and yes, Murray could get hurt. Yes, the Eagles are also pretty good and could win the division. But Dallas is clearly one of the best teams in the NFL today and that shouldn't be a [SIZE=10.5pt]controversial [/SIZE]statement. Of course things can change and I don't think the OP suggested otherwise.

The mob is clearly projecting and attacking said projections, rather than what the OP actually said: The Cowboys are one of the best teams in the league today and, according to the OP, Garrett and Jones deserve more credit than he previously gave them.

Where is the controversy?

The glory days reference was to the offensive line/running game and the 2014 version is statistically better. Depending on what numbers you want to look at--it's the best ever over a similar stretch. Yes, it's only a 7 game stretch. That doesn't mean we have to pretend it's not happening.

The team is a powerhouse and juggernaut by today's NFL standards. Yes, the team might stumble in the playoffs and yes, Murray could get hurt. Yes, the Eagles are also pretty good and could win the division. But Dallas is clearly one of the best teams in the NFL today and that shouldn't be a [SIZE=10.5pt]controversial [/SIZE]statement. Of course things can change and I don't think the OP suggested otherwise.

The mob is clearly projecting and attacking said projections, rather than what the OP actually said: The Cowboys are one of the best teams in the league today and, according to the OP, Garrett and Jones deserve more credit than he previously gave them.

Your definitions of powerhouse and Juggernaut are apparently different than mine. And comparing the current Cowboys 7 game stretch to the dominant running game they had over a 5 year period is, in my opinion, a little premature. I could have said that Lesean McCoy was as good as Barry Sanders based on last year, but that would have been a little premature.

So no controversy. Just someone (the OP) overhyping the Cowboys a little too much before they have earned the right to be overhyped.

Your definitions of powerhouse and Juggernaut are apparently different than mine. And comparing the current Cowboys 7 game stretch to the dominant running game they had over a 5 year period is, in my opinion, a little premature. I could have said that Lesean McCoy was as good as Barry Sanders based on last year, but that would have been a little premature.

So no controversy. Just someone (the OP) overhyping the Cowboys a little too much before they have earned the right to be overhyped.
He never said the unit was as good as the glory days. He said the unit was pushing teams around like the offensive line of the glory days did.

I'm sure the terms mean the same thing to both of us; the context is just different. In an historic context, of course it's silly. In today's NFL, they certainly apply, in my opinion. For example, if I call Andrew Luck an amazing QB, I don't intend to place him next to Dan Marino or Joe Montana yet.

dhockster said:
DaWidowMaker said:

Did you even watch Game #1 last year? Foles had plenty of time early, he was missing wide open receivers. There were rumors that he came into that game with a groin injury and that is consistent with him not really stepping into his throws. After he went out, stopping Matt Barkley wasn't exactly hard to do. We will never know what Romo would have done in game #2, but if you going on history of how Dallas has performed with Romo in big games (playoff and playoff qualifying games), Their record is 1-6.

Eagles a fluke? Maybe, but let's see how each team has performed this year: Both lost close games to the Niners. Both beat the Rams, barely. Both had big come from behind road wins against contenders, the Eagles against Indy, Cowboys against the Seahawks. Both teams beat the Giants, both teams beat a lesser AFC south opponent (Eagles beat Jax, Cowboys beat Tenn). The Eagles beat the Redskins and the Cowboys beat the Saints and Texans.

I would say they have performed pretty evenly, so if the Eagles are a fluke then I think the Cowboys are a fluke as well.
"There were rumors"....Are you serious? Just stop right now....matter of fact I won't even entertain that way of thinking.

-Was Romo's 4th down TD to Murray vs the Skins the week prior considered a "Big game"?

-Was Romo's 3rd and 20 conversion vs the Hawks @ CenturyLink considered a "Big game"?

Lets not forget 2009 redemption games...back to back haymakers to your beloved Eagles 24-0 to get in the playoffs in the season finale/34-14 to end your season the next week. "Big games"

Really?....Like I said champ, I'm here all season... :boxing:

Fun with statistics: Let's assume that Jason Garrett is an absolutely, completely, mathematically average coach and the Cowboys are an absolutely, completely, mathematically average team. In other words, they have exactly a 50% chance of winning every game they play.

Now, as baseline assumptions go, I don't think that's a bad one, do you? After all, the most likely season outcomes for such a team over any 3-year stretch would be ... 8-8, 8-8, 8-8.

Let's say that perfectly average Garrett coaches that perfectly average Cowboys team for 4 seasons. What are the odds of that team going 6-1 to start at least one of those four seasons, purely by random chance?

The answer is ... greater than 1 in 5. (20.1%, to be exact.)

In other words: How 'bout we not break out the anointing oils just yet, mmmmkay?

You and me are gonna get alone just fine............There may be war ahead, but you won't find me attacking in the rain during chow time or mail runs. ;)

Fun with statistics: Let's assume that Jason Garrett is an absolutely, completely, mathematically average coach and the Cowboys are an absolutely, completely, mathematically average team. In other words, they have exactly a 50% chance of winning every game they play.

Now, as baseline assumptions go, I don't think that's a bad one, do you? After all, the most likely season outcomes for such a team over any 3-year stretch would be ... 8-8, 8-8, 8-8.

Let's say that perfectly average Garrett coaches that perfectly average Cowboys team for 4 seasons. What are the odds of that team going 6-1 to start at least one of those four seasons, purely by random chance?

The answer is ... greater than 1 in 5. (20.1%, to be exact.)

In other words: How 'bout we not break out the anointing oils just yet, mmmmkay?
Where your mathematics turns to mush is that you forget to take into account the carnage that has plagued the Cowboys teams the last two years. You take any team in the league, now pick any starter on defense and pull him off the field every game one at a time until you have replaced each DL with 32 different starters. Do the same with the Secondary and then take the best player you have on defense, your super star, and separate his shoulder, hyper-extend his elbow, pull his hammy and make him start the last game of the season two years in a row. Let me help you out.

Defensive Starters the last game of the season 2013

D Ware in his condition stated above

G Selvie first year off the couch and also injured shoulder (had a nice year to be fair)

N Hayden first year and coming off injury

J. Hatcher also nursing injury

B Carr CB 67 100% 9 33%
D Holloman LB 67 100% 8 30% 2 start as a rookie
B Carter LB 67 100% 5 19% playing on a bad wheel
O Scandrick CB 66 99% 5 19%
B Church FS 61 91% 10 37%
J Heath FS 42 63% 22 81% 1st year rookie
M Claiborne CB 40 60% 4 15% playing with bad knee and bad shoulder
J Wilcox SS 31 46% 12 44% Playing with bad knee
D McCray FS 18 67% No longer on the team
C Lawrence LB 18 67% No longer on the team
E Jones DE 17 63% No longer on the team
S Moore CB 6 22% 2nd year rookie
that's how it started but take a look how it ended.

K Wilber DE 28 42% 16 59% Second year rookie trying to play DE
C Irvin DT 25 37% 2 7% NEver heard of him. No longer on team.
J Wynn DE 22 33% NEver heard of him. No longer on team.
F Kearse DT 22 33% NEver heard of him. No longer on team
E Brown DE 19 28% 9 33% NEver heard of him
D McCray FS 18 67% No longer on the team
C Lawrence LB 18 67% Rookie No longer on the team
E Jones DE 17 63% NEver heard of him No longer on the team

Oh and the above was the third round of players cycled through the team during the year to play starting roles. I could post the second half of the season just like this until I have 32 different players that will play DL at some point in the season. 17 Different Secondary players.

No Sean lee, or Ernie Sims who were our starters that year.

Oh and Romo was out that game too.

So basically what I am saying is this. IF this team can stay healthy for the stretch run. We are going to be a problem to deal with. Like any team in the league you have to be lucky to stay healthy and have the players you want on the field to be good. It's really that simple. Right now, TODAY, we are healthy thank GOD. If that continues, this team posses some problems for defenses.

It's threads like this one that make me glad I'm more a fan of NFL football than a fan of my favorite team (the Colts).

I'd like the Colts to be the best in the league and win the Super Bowl and all that but I could not imagine being so jacked up over a football team.

Users who are viewing this thread