What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Stock Value Strategy Starts Now (1 Viewer)

Not that anyone asked, but I am officially 50% out of the market. I just sold half my two largest posisitons (MSCI International and MSCI Emerging)Now in..22.25% MSCI International22.25% MSCI Emerging6.5% Metals49% Cash/BondsThis is outside of my trading account and a cash fund pension account. I'm not looking to be out for long if we cross/hold 1,010 on the S&P. It's been such a good run, i wanted to bank some of the gains.
I just went to move some of my 401k to cash (up almost 10% ytd AND missed the huge tumble last year :lmao: ) and was informed I am now only allowed to make ONE TRANSACTION PER QUARTER :lmao: . WTF. Anything I can do about this?
Sure, have you plan administrator give me a call! You're in a crappy 401k plan!
I'm being serial. What can you do about this? Better yet, what are my options?

Today should be a good day for the market as the economic data is very optimistic, imho.

Don't be surprised to see some profit taking this afternoon.

CENX is having a nice run up now and at 8.23 or so.

:pics: here's to hoping some strong shipping reports

Random said:
BassNBrew said:
Random said:
1. Quit the company and roll it into an IRA.2. Take out a loan and pay yourself back into the account.3. Take a distribution and pay the 10% penalty.
Thanks. So I cant self direct?
Nope...but I would be knocking on your HR reps door about this.

Random said:
BassNBrew said:
Random said:
1. Quit the company and roll it into an IRA.2. Take out a loan and pay yourself back into the account.3. Take a distribution and pay the 10% penalty.
This is all silly talk.A managed retirement plan is so that you don't day trade your retirement monies. If you have the itch to trade, set up your own brokerage account.

Random said:
BassNBrew said:
Random said:
This is all silly talk.A managed retirement plan is so that you don't day trade your retirement monies. If you have the itch to trade, set up your own brokerage account.
Thanks for your opinion.

completely sideways in HEB. I may need to reposition myself a bit there and absorb the loss to get myself into a territory where I can buy and sell more actively in the stock.

I decided to bite the bullet this mornings and am buying and selling FREE between 1.83 and 1.88. I sold 7900 at 1.88 and so far added 3150 at 1.83. Kind of funny just to watch this process take place.

Random said:
Revo said:
Random said:
Not that anyone asked, but I am officially 50% out of the market. I just sold half my two largest posisitons (MSCI International and MSCI Emerging)Now in..22.25% MSCI International22.25% MSCI Emerging6.5% Metals49% Cash/BondsThis is outside of my trading account and a cash fund pension account. I'm not looking to be out for long if we cross/hold 1,010 on the S&P. It's been such a good run, i wanted to bank some of the gains.
I just went to move some of my 401k to cash (up almost 10% ytd AND missed the huge tumble last year :yes: ) and was informed I am now only allowed to make ONE TRANSACTION PER QUARTER :thumbup: . WTF. Anything I can do about this?
I am serious. I'm Director of Marketing for a retirement plan administrator. We consult & design DC and DB plans, and apparently your plan is poorly administered and allows zero flexibility. You company, depending on its size, can pretty easily change plan administrators, who would then redesign the plan and the plan documents.Did the plan administrators at your company give you any advanced notice as to this one transaction per quarter change? They're required by law to do so.You can self-direct if your plan allows it. Very few do.The first step in making changes to a 401k plan is to let your company administrators know of displeasure, whether its yours or others. In time, they may realize the overall unhappiness of its employees with the plan and make changes.

Random said:
Revo said:
Random said:
I just went to move some of my 401k to cash (up almost 10% ytd AND missed the huge tumble last year :kicksrock: ) and was informed I am now only allowed to make ONE TRANSACTION PER QUARTER :hot: . WTF. Anything I can do about this?
I am serious. I'm Director of Marketing for a retirement plan administrator. We consult & design DC and DB plans, and apparently your plan is poorly administered and allows zero flexibility. You company, depending on its size, can pretty easily change plan administrators, who would then redesign the plan and the plan documents.Did the plan administrators at your company give you any advanced notice as to this one transaction per quarter change? They're required by law to do so.You can self-direct if your plan allows it. Very few do.The first step in making changes to a 401k plan is to let your company administrators know of displeasure, whether its yours or others. In time, they may realize the overall unhappiness of its employees with the plan and make changes.
Yes I had advanced notice. I'm apparently on some sort of probation for making too many changes and am now on a restriction. It sucks.What steps should I take to self direct (assuming this means what I think it does)?

Yes I had advanced notice. I'm apparently on some sort of probation for making too many changes and am now on a restriction. It sucks.What steps should I take to self direct (assuming this means what I think it does)?
Self directed means having access to an individual brokerage account. Most mutual funds have short-term redemption restrictions, meaning you can't sell them for whatever the minimum holding period is (usually 90 days). It seems like the funds in your plan have these restrictions in place. Generally, it's the mutual fund companies themselves that place the trading restrictions on the individual investors, not the plan administrators. So there's very little you can do in that case, besides checking the prospectus to see which of the funds have the restriction and which do not.

Paragon August 5 dollar calls getting alot of action this morning. At .20 right now. Should be a moneymaker with any sort of runup at a very cheap price. Goes against the grain of buying options under 5 bucks but worth a little risk. We don't even have to make 5.20 to make money, just need a good .50 cent boost.

springroll said:
LJ...do you see .10 as any kind of emotional resistance for SRSR or have most of the people in it been holding long enough to not even be thinking about it?
I guess a cross back into the tens would bring back some buyers and bring some sort of normalcy back. But until we get some momentum and volume, this is going to remain a trading vehicle. Keep in mind this ran to 21cents last week in advance of the report. Most of the people got in in the 2cent area, so they're obviously still holding. Its the swing traders causing all this mess. We have a nice move today but we need to be able to sustain it next week. One this stock gets rolling (in either direction) there's a lot of money to be made.

Pretty new to all of this (although I used to sell mutual funds a while back) and have been following this thread for a while. I recently opened an account at Tradeking and am itching to get going. To start I will be doing more swing trading instead of actual day trading.

I am curious to know what most people are using as their search criteria. I've pretty much gotten the technical aspects (at least on the buy signal side) down, but am having trouble nailing down my pre-screening criteria. Any info is much appreciated. Also, I am having trouble spotting sell signals. I can get the general feel, but can't seem to pinpoint (as much as possible anyway) true sell points.

NajehHejan said:
Anyone with a few hundred bucks and some patience may want to check out MSTF. They keep PR’ing new contracts with the state of Cali. There is an SEC filing which confirms revenues of 5-25 million. They do medical/healthcare staffing. Stock is stuck at .0001/.0002 and there are billions of shares outstanding, but when it finally gets out of the 0001/0002 rut you could flip for an easy 3-4 bagger.
I am looking at this and it seems to jump between .0001 to .0002 regularly (though good charts are hard to come by). It even hit .0003 once today. I am wondering why a person wouldn't put $500 (5,000,000 shares) on this at .0001 and set a .0002 limit.The volume would seem to support it (357,000,000).What am I missing?

Paragon August 5 dollar calls getting alot of action this morning. At .20 right now. Should be a moneymaker with any sort of runup at a very cheap price. Goes against the grain of buying options under 5 bucks but worth a little risk. We don't even have to make 5.20 to make money, just need a good .50 cent boost.
Bought some. Now up to $0.25, already made 25% today!

Oooooooooooooooooooooooof.

USD is down a whole point to 78. This is actualy bearish to me at this point, because the market is barely up. In any other day that the dollar index was down this much it was a 2-3% up day.

Interesting that the EM's and stocks like FEED are even or down? I'm a little confused.

I think we make a couple hundred in a short time. I have 20 legs for 400. Didn't really want to, but i sold a couple BAC options when they ran to 105% today. They expire on the 22nd and i saved a few legs for more of a runup and hopefully a short squeeze at the end.

I really wanted to buy something at the close. SBLK and FEED both looked good. In the end I figued to play it cool and to keep cash on hand.

I think we make a couple hundred in a short time. I have 20 legs for 400. Didn't really want to, but i sold a couple BAC options when they ran to 105% today. They expire on the 22nd and i saved a few legs for more of a runup and hopefully a short squeeze at the end.
Not to be the word police but by the way you use "leg" I think you mean contract.

anybody else getting nervous about the shippers not having too much potential? DRYS and GNK both down today.
Honestly, yes. The way the market has been going I would have expected $4.75 and $4.00 for PRGN and SBLK, also considering the earnings from the other shippers.

anybody else getting nervous about the shippers not having too much potential? DRYS and GNK both down today.
I wasn't until you said something.....lol. J/K. Didn't both of those have their runup before reporting?? Or has Drys not reported yet?? Not sure, but I know drys has gone from under 6 to to over 6.60 in a week or so for a 10% gain. You might be right though, might want to temper my enthusiasm about prgn hitting 6 this quarter like it did last.

NajehHejan said:
Anyone with a few hundred bucks and some patience may want to check out MSTF. They keep PR’ing new contracts with the state of Cali. There is an SEC filing which confirms revenues of 5-25 million. They do medical/healthcare staffing. Stock is stuck at .0001/.0002 and there are billions of shares outstanding, but when it finally gets out of the 0001/0002 rut you could flip for an easy 3-4 bagger.
I am looking at this and it seems to jump between .0001 to .0002 regularly (though good charts are hard to come by). It even hit .0003 once today. I am wondering why a person wouldn't put $500 (5,000,000 shares) on this at .0001 and set a .0002 limit.The volume would seem to support it (357,000,000).What am I missing?
The issue is you need to get lucky. My buy orders at .0001 have not gotten filled. There is a long line of folks that want to buy at .0001 and sell at .0002. Easy 100% profit. I’m surprised it ticked up to .0003 because there are so many flippers that bought at .0001 and just want to sell at .0002, they don’t care about 3 or 4 or even 5 – they don’t want to get greedy, they just want a quick 100%. It will probably take pretty good news to get out of this constant flip. I only have a few hundred on it so I’m just playing the waiting game, hoping once it breaks I can sell at .0006 or .0008 and make 400-600 bucks.

NajehHejan said:
The issue is you need to get lucky. My buy orders at .0001 have not gotten filled. There is a long line of folks that want to buy at .0001 and sell at .0002. Easy 100% profit. I’m surprised it ticked up to .0003 because there are so many flippers that bought at .0001 and just want to sell at .0002, they don’t care about 3 or 4 or even 5 – they don’t want to get greedy, they just want a quick 100%. It will probably take pretty good news to get out of this constant flip. I only have a few hundred on it so I’m just playing the waiting game, hoping once it breaks I can sell at .0006 or .0008 and make 400-600 bucks.
This is correct. I had a buy order in for .0001 all day yesterday and it didn't get filled, despite plenty of trades going through at that price.

I have to say I'm really pissed about missing out on USTR & OMX. These guys are in my industry & USTR is our major supplier.

The good news is that this points towards a recovery IMO.

NajehHejan said:
This is correct. I had a buy order in for .0001 all day yesterday and it didn't get filled, despite plenty of trades going through at that price.
Well, I guess I will get in line behind you guys then. I am not sure in what order these things fill, but if it can be screwed up, I am sure zecco will. I will let you know if I get in.I also find it interesting that the price is always a round number (.0001, .0002, etc). Do the markets allow for any more decimals? It seems that if they do, some would get sold for .00015.And why wouldn't the company do a reverse split?

optionmaven said:
springroll said:
I wasn't until you said something.....lol. J/K. Didn't both of those have their runup before reporting?? Or has Drys not reported yet?? Not sure, but I know drys has gone from under 6 to to over 6.60 in a week or so for a 10% gain. You might be right though, might want to temper my enthusiasm about prgn hitting 6 this quarter like it did last.
Wow and just like that, lots of shippers up after hours.PRGN 5%SBLK 4%FREE 4%

optionmaven said:
springroll said:
Wow and just like that, lots of shippers up after hours.PRGN 5%SBLK 4%FREE 4%
lol, I have as much in these guys as I do in PM's.

Anybody planning on buying Ford tomorrow morning?

Ford sees sales increase from 'Clunkers': WSJ4:30p ET August 2, 2009 (MarketWatch)SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- A popular government new-car incentive program will give Ford Motor Co. its first monthly sales increase in nearly two years, according to a media report Sunday.Ford sales analyst George Pipas said he wasn't sure if the bump would have occurred without the federal "Cash for Clunkers" program, which offers cash incentives to buy new vehicles, The Wall Street Journal reported in its online edition.Pipas reportedly declined to provide specific sales figures, which are scheduled for release Monday.Edmunds.com analysts expect Ford, the only U.S. automaker to avoid bankruptcy this year, to see about a 4% decline in monthly sales from a year ago, well below the expected 16% sales decline industry-wide.General Motors Co., fresh out of bankruptcy court, is expected to report a 19.5% drop in July sales from last year with Chrysler expected to report a sales drop of nearly 39%.TOYOTA MOTOR CORP. , now the world's largest automaker, is expected to see July sales off by more than 15%, and HONDA MOTOR Co. is expected to be down nearly 14%. The worst decline expected from a Japanese automaker is Nissan, with expected U.S. July sales down 26%.German automakers Daimler AG, BMW , and Volkswagen AG also haven't been immune to a worldwide contraction of auto sales brought on by record oil prices last summer, and the recession and frozen credit markets this year. In the past year, even sales of fuel-efficient cars like Daimler's Smart, BMW's Mini, and Toyota's Prius have been on the decline.The brightest July numbers are seen to be coming from Hyundai Motor Co. on Monday, with an expected 8% rise in Hyundai and Kia sales.The popularity of "Cash for Clunkers" has caused a run on the program's initial $1 billion in funding, and requires an infusion of $2 billion to keep it alive.Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood told C-SPAN's "The Newsmakers" program on Sunday that the program will be eliminated after Tuesday unless the Senate votes to fund it before the summer recess. The House of Representatives already has approved additional funding for the program.

Ford sees sales increase from 'Clunkers': WSJ4:30p ET August 2, 2009 (MarketWatch)SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- A popular government new-car incentive program will give Ford Motor Co. its first monthly sales increase in nearly two years, according to a media report Sunday.
Maybe for a day trade, but never for an investment.

Ford sees sales increase from 'Clunkers': WSJ4:30p ET August 2, 2009 (MarketWatch)SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- A popular government new-car incentive program will give Ford Motor Co. its first monthly sales increase in nearly two years, according to a media report Sunday.
arent pretty much all the trades talked about in here short term plays?

Foreign markets crushing, some positive earnings reports -- this could be a heck of a day. Buckle up!

KERX up big in premarket. What is an SPA? Does this just mean that the FDA just agrees with the design of the study?

NEW YORK, Aug. 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Keryx Biopharmaceuticals,Inc. (Nasdaq: KERX) announced today that it has reached agreement withthe U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regarding a SpecialProtocol Assessment (SPA) on the design of a Phase 3 trial for itsPI3K/Akt pathway inhibitor, KRX-0401 (perifosine), in relapsed orrelapsed / refractory multiple myeloma patients previously treatedwith bortezomib (VELCADE ). The SPA provides agreement that the Phase3 study design adequately addresses objectives in support of aregulatory submission. The trial, entitled, "A Phase 3 RandomizedStudy to Assess the Efficacy and Safety of Perifosine Added to theCombination of Bortezomib and Dexamethasone in Multiple MyelomaPatients Previously Treated with Bortezomib" will be a double-blind,placebo-controlled trial comparing the efficacy and safety of KRX-0401vs. placebo when combined with bortezomib and dexamethasone. Thetrial, powered at 90%, will enroll approximately 400 patients withrelapsed or relapsed / refractory multiple myeloma. The primaryendpoint is progression-free survival and secondary endpoints includeoverall response rate, overall survival and safety.

arent pretty much all the trades talked about in here short term plays?
Fair point. There have been some long type discussion on Oil a few months back and Nat Gas for this winter.

Foreign markets crushing, some positive earnings reports -- this could be a heck of a day. Buckle up!
Good stuff - almost all of Europe up 1.5% and Asia up 1%.Oil up big - I'm guessing a big plunge in the USD Index today.

Good stuff - almost all of Europe up 1.5% and Asia up 1%.Oil up big - I'm guessing a big plunge in the USD Index today.
Ooooof - Cracked a 78 handle.... down to 77.91. We have cracked the USD lows of the end of last year. 74 handle is now in play.

KERX up big in premarket. What is an SPA? Does this just mean that the FDA just agrees with the design of the study?

NEW YORK, Aug. 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Keryx Biopharmaceuticals,Inc. (Nasdaq: KERX) announced today that it has reached agreement withthe U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regarding a SpecialProtocol Assessment (SPA) on the design of a Phase 3 trial for itsPI3K/Akt pathway inhibitor, KRX-0401 (perifosine), in relapsed orrelapsed / refractory multiple myeloma patients previously treatedwith bortezomib (VELCADE ). The SPA provides agreement that the Phase3 study design adequately addresses objectives in support of aregulatory submission. The trial, entitled, "A Phase 3 RandomizedStudy to Assess the Efficacy and Safety of Perifosine Added to theCombination of Bortezomib and Dexamethasone in Multiple MyelomaPatients Previously Treated with Bortezomib" will be a double-blind,placebo-controlled trial comparing the efficacy and safety of KRX-0401vs. placebo when combined with bortezomib and dexamethasone. Thetrial, powered at 90%, will enroll approximately 400 patients withrelapsed or relapsed / refractory multiple myeloma. The primaryendpoint is progression-free survival and secondary endpoints includeoverall response rate, overall survival and safety.
Any suggestions on what to do with my shares?

I'm holding my 2000 shares of KERX until final FDA approval. Might be a year, but I think it will go to $10.

sold 10,000 HEB at 2.15....for a loss of $2K. I plan to actively trade this and lower my average cost of $2.35 here, but it feels like this stock is heading lower for a bit before it surges.

I had averaged my KERX shares down to 1.13, I just out in a sell order for half of them at 1.65, we'll see if it gets filled.

ok, plan changed. I think I'm selling my KERX also. I think we might have a pullback after today before it surges again. I wanna lock in some of this.

I had averaged my KERX shares down to 1.13, I just out in a sell order for half of them at 1.65, we'll see if it gets filled.
i would sell it all. Kerx should pull back. Possibly a lot. There will be a lot of quiet time in the near future.Disclaimer... I am pretty new to the market.

Users who are viewing this thread