What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nate Washington - WR - TEN (1 Viewer)

The Hank

Footballguy
per Adam Schefter:

Titans sign WR Washington, DT Haye

Posted: March 2nd, 2009 | Adam Schefter | Tags: Free Agency 2009, Jovan Haye, Nate Washington, Tennessee Titans

The Tennessee Titans reached agreement with free-agent WR Nate Washington on an undisclosed deal and with free-agent DT Jovan Haye on a four-year, $16 million contract. The team will have a press conference today to introduce both players to the media.

Washington had 40 receptions for 631 yards and three touchdowns for the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2008. Haye made 14 starts for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fisher seems to like these downfield WRs. I think Washington will be a better version of what McCareins has been for Tennessee during his tenures there. He's not going to dominate, but he'll hit some home runs.

Pretty good signing IMO.
I actually agree, but it would be nice if Tennessee had a go-to guy in the passing game.
I knew when I took him in WSL 4 he'd get a shot to be a #2 guy somewhere.Don't know if his production will be all that great since the Titans run the hell out of the ball, but I think he can beat out any of the other guys to start opposite Gage and I feel pretty good that his numbers will increase from last year. I could see him getting 50-55 rec/ 600-700 yds/ 5-6 tds. Maybe better, who knows, we'll have to wait and see. Hewas undrafted by the Steelers and worked hard to get playing time. In 4 yrs. there he had 104rec/1705yds/12tds. I'm sure he sees this as an opportunity to be a starter and he's gonna work hard to get that job. I like his chances.

FUBAR said:
Gage and Washington! You can hear the rest of the division shaking in fear.
Gage is tough to stop when the Titans actually attempt to feature him.See the Baltimore Ravens playoff game for an example.

EBF said:
Fisher seems to like these downfield WRs. I think Washington will be a better version of what McCareins has been for Tennessee during his tenures there. He's not going to dominate, but he'll hit some home runs.
Bewteen his home run ability and the reliance by the Titans on running game, I think Washington will be one of guys that an owner hopes he starts on the correct week, because he will have 2 or 3 outstaning production weeks and then lots of nothing more times than not.

Ask and you shall recieve:linkage

Free agent Nate Washington signs with Titans

Monday, March 02, 2009

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers lost their first free agent today when wide receiver Nate Washington signed a six-year, $27 million contract with the Tennessee Titans.

Washington, the team's No. 3 receiver who had 40 catches and three touchdowns last season, is guaranteed $9 million under terms of the contract.

First published on March 2, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Monday, March 02, 2009

The Steelers lost their first free agent today when wide receiver Nate Washington signed a six-year, $27 million contract with the Tennessee Titans.

Washington, the team's No. 3 receiver who had 40 catches and three touchdowns last season, is guaranteed $9 million under terms of the contract.

Good for Nate. He worked hard to get where is now from Tiffin College.

Monday, March 02, 2009

Makes me even happier about Housh's contract....$15M guarenteed!

EBF said:
Bewteen his home run ability and the reliance by the Titans on running game, I think Washington will be one of guys that an owner hopes he starts on the correct week, because he will have 2 or 3 outstaning production weeks and then lots of nothing more times than not.
What do the Titans have against sure handed receivers? They seem to have a throw the ball down the field and flip a coin (as to whether the receiver will catch it) philosophy.

As a Steelers fan who has watched Washington regularly, the value of this contract is just silly. $27 million with $9 million guaranteed for a borderline #2/#3 WR? No thanks. I wish him luck, but Tennessee completely overpaid for a guy with good speed, mediocre route running ability, poor hands, and no where close to the stats to back up this much money.

As a Steelers fan who has watched Washington regularly, the value of this contract is just silly. $27 million with $9 million guaranteed for a borderline #2/#3 WR? No thanks. I wish him luck, but Tennessee completely overpaid for a guy with good speed, mediocre route running ability, poor hands, and no where close to the stats to back up this much money.
But he wins championships!Such is life for FAs. Very few are true bargains.

True, he did come up big in the Super Bowl :shrug:

ceisenhower66 said:
completely agree. i thought WRs were being signed on the cheap this off-season. i was surprised to hear about the money on this signing. my guess is the steelers will replace him with an interchangeable part at a fraction of the cost. or hakeem nix ;-)

FUBAR said:
ceisenhower66 said:
Being undrafted he knew he had a tough road to get playing time. I think he did what he needed to in Pitt. to help them. He understood he was a role player and didn't try to be more. He'll probablty still be a role player in Tenn. for a while but he'll prove he can be more and I think he's gonna get more opportunities which will up his production.He's not a star but I think he'll continue to work hard at getting better. By season's end the Titans will be glad he's their #2 guy.

Like Nate and what he did for the Steelers but I am glad the Steelers didn't offer that contract. Despite being a bigger WR he's not great in traffic or at breaking tackles. Solid deep threat though which seems to be one of Collins strengths.

Add me to the folks that wish him well as a Steeler fan. He's been a solid receiver for the Steelers, and it's easy to root for the guy coming out of nowhere.

Like others have said, not sure he is worth that contract, but I'm not sorry to see him get it.

The problem with this signing, aside from the profane dollar amount, is that it is simply impossible to make a run in the playoffs - much less win the Super Bowl - without a receiver who can excel under tough conditions and tough coverages. At some juncture in the playoffs, a team will likely fall behind by double-digits and/or be running out of time and will need a WR who can gobble yards up in a hurry. They can't all be Randy Moss or Reggie Wayne, but a Santonio Holmes here or a Plaxico Burress there makes all the difference in the world.

This contract, IMO, belies that the Titans think that Nate Washington can be that type of receiver. Maybe he can, but by giving him this much money on that hunch, they are effectively done upgrading at WR for the foreseeable future. Teams that "play great D and control the clock through the run!" like Tennessee and Baltimore simply can not make it through the entire postseason anymore, not when the team across from them can erase most any lead in a handful of plays.

Users who are viewing this thread