What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Navy Seals save captain and wack some pirates.... (1 Viewer)

This would be the best outcome possible. That and start firing on all the "mother" ships.

I'd have loved to see the look on the one that lived's face when he either saw his buddies get taken out or he was informed of the outcome.

This would be the best outcome possible. That and start firing on all the "mother" ships.
The problem with this is those mother ships are usually other countries ships and often have hostages on board. These guys don't have a navy after all. They have freighters awaiting checks.

Best outcome possible.

The pirates were given a choice: give up and surrender yourself to a fair trial, or else.

They laughed.

So we slaughtered them and took our guy back alive.

BAM. POW. HOW YOU LIKE THEM APPLES?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where's Jim11 now?
Right here, mate. Just heard the news...a local talk show host said that we should send in the Navy Seals right after the pirates grabbed the captain. Turns out they did.Good work, Obama.

If tomorrow all the things were gone

. . I'd worked for all my life,

And I had to start again

. . with just my children and my wife,

I'd thank my lucky stars

. . to be livin' here today.

Cause the flag still stands for freedom

. . And they can't take that away.

And I'm proud to be an American

Where at least I know I'm free

And I won't forget the men who died

Who gave that right to me

And I gladly stand up

. . next to you and defend her still today

Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land

God bless the USA

From the lakes of Minnesota

... To the hills of Tennessee

... Across the plains of Texas

... From sea to shining sea

... From Detroit down to Houston

... And New York to LA

Well there's pride in every American heart

And its time we stand and say..

That I'm proud to be an American

And I gladly stand up . . next to you and defend her still today

God bless the USA

And I'm proud to be an American

And I gladly stand up . . next to you and defend her still today

God bless the USA!

Good Job Obama!!!

My solution was to fill a large plane with the septic tanks from a couple cruise ships and drop it on the Pirate mother ships.

Unreal, at Easter dinner today, right around 12pm EST we were talking about this and I said something about they should just send in the Seals, they can do better than the French.

Awesome!

Happy Easter Pirates. Have a nice season. Arrrghhh!
These pirates are all sons of someone, lets be cooler than that :(
So was the hostage. Only difference is, he didn't come looking for a fight. So let's remember, for all countries and citizens in all parts of the world: Regardless of the fact that you are likely somebodies offspring, if you decide to storm a boat (lose a fight), and take the captain onto your wonderdingy, threatening to kill him (again, somebodies son)... you and your parents should probably not be surprised if this career choice results in your head exploding. Just a thought.

Golly. We're talking about the U.S. Navy against a crew of unwashed pirates in a rowboat. We should have won this one.

My solution was to fill a large plane with the septic tanks from a couple cruise ships and drop it on the Pirate mother ships.
No joke, I read something that one of the reasons the pirates are mad is because there waters have been polluted so bad it has effected fishing. Not saying that is the reason these particular pirates did it though.

This is what I read that I was referring to a few post back.

In 1991, the government of Somalia [...] collapsed. Its 9 million people have been teetering on starvation ever since - and many of the ugliest forces in the Western world have seen this as a great opportunity to steal the country’s food supply and dump our nuclear waste in their seas.As soon as the government was gone, mysterious European ships started appearing off the coast of Somalia, dumping vast barrels into the ocean. The coastal population began to sicken. At first they suffered strange rashes, nausea and malformed babies. Then, after the 2005 tsunami, hundreds of the dumped and leaking barrels washed up on shore. People began to suffer from radiation sickness, and more than 300 died.Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah, the U.N. envoy to Somalia, tells me: “Somebody is dumping nuclear material here. There is also lead and heavy metals such as cadmium and mercury - you name it.” Much of it can be traced back to European hospitals and factories, who seem to be passing it on to the Italian mafia to “dispose” of cheaply. When I asked Ould-Abdallah what European governments were doing about it, he said with a sigh: “Nothing. There has been no cleanup, no compensation and no prevention.”

In 1991, the government of Somalia [...] collapsed. Its 9 million people have been teetering on starvation ever since - and many of the ugliest forces in the Western world have seen this as a great opportunity to steal the country’s food supply and dump our nuclear waste in their seas.As soon as the government was gone, mysterious European ships started appearing off the coast of Somalia, dumping vast barrels into the ocean. The coastal population began to sicken. At first they suffered strange rashes, nausea and malformed babies. Then, after the 2005 tsunami, hundreds of the dumped and leaking barrels washed up on shore. People began to suffer from radiation sickness, and more than 300 died.Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah, the U.N. envoy to Somalia, tells me: “Somebody is dumping nuclear material here. There is also lead and heavy metals such as cadmium and mercury - you name it.” Much of it can be traced back to European hospitals and factories, who seem to be passing it on to the Italian mafia to “dispose” of cheaply. When I asked Ould-Abdallah what European governments were doing about it, he said with a sigh: “Nothing. There has been no cleanup, no compensation and no prevention.”
:)

Well now it looks like some barrels full of dead pirates will be washing up on shore. That does suck about the nuclear dumping if true. Still I doubt any of the angry pirates are spending their ransom money on cleanup.

Well now it looks like some barrels full of dead pirates will be washing up on shore. That does suck about the nuclear dumping if true. Still I doubt any of the angry pirates are spending their ransom money on cleanup.
Their fisheries are destroyed both through their own carelessness and illegal fishing done by other nations. Their waters are being polluted by dumping of nuclear, chemical and heavy metal wastes that are allegedly traceable to European concerns. Their country is in tatters. Just as piracy in the 17th century this started out as the one response they had to what was being done to them. Of course once it became lucrative other elements moved in on it and I would guess gangsters far outnumber fisherman at the top. Still a lot of these guys do take their split to feed and house their families as they have no other income streams. Somalia is the very definition of a failed state.

I've read that too. Well, it ain't us dumping in their waters. And the solution isn't to attack those doing it anyways. It's to form a solid government and deal with the issues through official means instead of acting like vigilantes. Being pirates isn't ever going to stop dumping so using that as an excuse to justify piracy doesn't work. And you may not be but either way I really don't care about that stuff while they're attacking our ships and holding our citizens hostage. It' s just not the best way to get my compassion for their plight.

This made me :unsure:
These pirates are all sons of someone, lets be cooler than that :goodposting:
So did this.So lets stear this discussion in a different direction for a minute. I was reading about this and the report made it clear that they didn't know whether the shots that took these guys out came from the ship or from men in the water. Obviously this sounds like SEAL's so given that these guys are about as close to superhuman as you can get, what are the chances they have been in the water for a while, day or so, just waiting for their opportunity? How insane would that be? How possible would that be?Either way, awesome news, glad to hear we got our captain back and there was no American loss of life.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9...;show_article=1

indeed thank you Obama. I have my doubts if Bill Clinton or even W would've moved past the negotiation stage at this time

Obama twice approved force to rescue hostage

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Barack Obama twice authorized the military to rescue a U.S. captain held by Somali pirates and whose life appeared to be at risk.

Officials say Obama gave the OK on Friday and Saturday to rescue Capt. Richard Phillips from a lifeboat off the Somali coast. Officials say both times the Pentagon believed Phillips' life was at risk.

The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations.Administration officials say Obama was told Sunday of the rescue while he was in the White House residence. Officials also say Obama has phoned Phillips and Phillips' family.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

WASHINGTON (AP)—Administration officials say President Barack Obama approved the military operation that rescued a U.S. captain held hostage by Somali pirates.

The officials say Obama ordered the Defense Department to use military resources to rescue Richard Phillips from a lifeboat off the Somali coast.

The officials discussed this information on the condition of anonymity because they were not yet authorized to disclose the president's decision-making process.

Obama praised the captain for his bravery and courage. The president also said the United States needs help from other countries to deal with the threat of piracy and to hold pirates accountable.

I'm still surprised he had to approve anything. My guess would have been that there were standing rules of engagement.

In 1991, the government of Somalia [...] collapsed. Its 9 million people have been teetering on starvation ever since - and many of the ugliest forces in the Western world have seen this as a great opportunity to steal the country’s food supply and dump our nuclear waste in their seas.

As soon as the government was gone, mysterious European ships started appearing off the coast of Somalia, dumping vast barrels into the ocean. The coastal population began to sicken. At first they suffered strange rashes, nausea and malformed babies. Then, after the 2005 tsunami, hundreds of the dumped and leaking barrels washed up on shore. People began to suffer from radiation sickness, and more than 300 died.

Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah, the U.N. envoy to Somalia, tells me: “Somebody is dumping nuclear material here. There is also lead and heavy metals such as cadmium and mercury - you name it.” Much of it can be traced back to European hospitals and factories, who seem to be passing it on to the Italian mafia to “dispose” of cheaply. When I asked Ould-Abdallah what European governments were doing about it, he said with a sigh: “Nothing. There has been no cleanup, no compensation and no prevention.”
Africa's political system is so f'ed up it's sad. The government is complicit in these hijackings. There isn't a fate in hell that should be held back from the monsters who do things like poison populations with waste. As bad are the fools who take bribes to let it happen. The pirates are a distant third... Even if they are victims who act out of desperation, it doesn't justify their actions. They should be organizing and taking on the government.
We would probably all be :confused: , or committing similar atrocities if we were men in Somalia. I have been listening to the new K'naan album recently, and it pretty much sounds like they give you an AK as soon as you are big enough to carry it. For most people on the planet life > liberty.

I'm still surprised he had to approve anything. My guess would have been that there were standing rules of engagement.
Very surprising.
Are there standing rules of engagement for the US military to use deadly force against non-military targets in another country? Honest question; but it doesn't seem surprising to me that the CiC had to OK this one, especially when "diplomatic options" were still on the table.

Africa's political system is so f'ed up it's sad. The government is complicit in these hijackings. There isn't a fate in hell that should be held back from the monsters who do things like poison populations with waste. As bad are the fools who take bribes to let it happen. The pirates are a distant third... Even if they are victims who act out of desperation, it doesn't justify their actions. They should be organizing and taking on the government.
There is something you can do about it, OW.

Very surprising.
Are there standing rules of engagement for the US military to use deadly force against non-military targets in another country? Honest question; but it doesn't seem surprising to me that the CiC had to OK this one, especially when "diplomatic options" were still on the table.
I can say that generally the military does have standing rules on dealing with these kinds of situations. Essentially attacking a US flagged ship is the same as attacking US soil in the eyes of international law. This is no different than attacking an embassy except it is in international waters and that gives more leeway. Now I am not claiming that saying he had to approve action is a PR move. I am just surprised that this isn't covered within standard response to such a situation.

Even if this is covered in standard response and the Prez isn't required to authorize anything, I really don't see the issue in him taking the positive PR from saying he authorized the situation (I'm going to assume it's true even if it wasn't necessary.) Like Bush, Clinton, or any other President in history wouldn't have done the same thing?

I hate the two party system and the fact that it seems to turn people into a bunch of lemmings following a letter.

Even if this is covered in standard response and the Prez isn't required to authorize anything, I really don't see the issue in him taking the positive PR from saying he authorized the situation (I'm going to assume it's true even if it wasn't necessary.) Like Bush, Clinton, or any other President in history wouldn't have done the same thing?I hate the two party system and the fact that it seems to turn people into a bunch of lemmings following a letter.
Well again to be clear I am not trying to say that the White House isn't telling the truth. I am just surprised they needed approval at that level.

between this and the dirty deals Europe did with Saddam as he was slaughtering people by the barrel, I question the push to emulate or even respect our European "friends."

Users who are viewing this thread