What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NCAA Basketball Thread - 2022-3 Season (1 Viewer)

I don't watch many women's games but in the men's game a moving screen is called a foul in my estimation about 30%40% of the time. The rest of the time it is ignored. So for a ref to make this call with a team down one with 4 seconds left in a national semi-final game is completely nuts. If these fouls were called 100% of the time I'd agree it should be called at that point of the game too but we all know they are not called 100% of the time. And it's not just moving screens. Other fouls like push-offs are not called 100% of the time either. Clark got away with a blatant push-off earlier in the game on a play where she scored an important bucket. That's why you swallow the whistle in the last 10 seconds unless it's so egregious that you have no choice. You don't suddenly turn into an eagle eye and call an offensive foul in that situation. You rob sports fans of the moments we tune into games to see.
They dont call any foul 100% of the time.

And as with all things, there are levels. It was a blatant violation. Her legs were practically in the splits. Chicken wing out there, and she is moving.

I don't watch many women's games but in the men's game a moving screen is called a foul in my estimation about 30%40% of the time. The rest of the time it is ignored. So for a ref to make this call with a team down one with 4 seconds left in a national semi-final game is completely nuts. If these fouls were called 100% of the time I'd agree it should be called at that point of the game too but we all know they are not called 100% of the time. And it's not just moving screens. Other fouls like push-offs are not called 100% of the time either. Clark got away with a blatant push-off earlier in the game on a play where she scored an important bucket. That's why you swallow the whistle in the last 10 seconds unless it's so egregious that you have no choice. You don't suddenly turn into an eagle eye and call an offensive foul in that situation. You rob sports fans of the moments we tune into games to see.

And as with all things, there are levels. It was a blatant violation. Her legs were practically in the splits. Chicken wing out there, and she is moving.
Precisely my point.

Edey likes to camp out in the lane for an eternity but I can't remember him ever getting a 3 second call. What if Monday night with 5 seconds left and Purdue down a point some ref decides that's the moment to make that call? It would be absurd. But then you look at the replay and well, I guess he is in the lane for about 8 seconds so good call? C'mon.

Precisely my point.

Edey likes to camp out in the lane for an eternity but I can't remember him ever getting a 3 second call. What if Monday night with 5 seconds left and Purdue down a point some ref decides that's the moment to make that call? It would be absurd. But then you look at the replay and well, I guess he is in the lane for about 8 seconds so good call? C'mon.
These are dumb comparisons. 3 in the key is almost never called. Moving screens are called all the time.

30-40% of the time you said yourself. Particularly egregious ones get called more often of course.

The UCONN women's team was called several times in that game for moving picks. Just ask their coach. That call didn't come out of the blue.

Heckuva run by the Wolfpack. Just didn't have it today.
I know there was probably no way to overcome the Edey foul tax no matter what they did, but IMO, leaving Burns on the bench for so long was malpractice by Keatts.
Congratulations, Burns didn't foul out. But almost every 2nd half minute he logged was when the game was over.

Worst case if Burns fouls out......you get maximum time with your best player on the court, and then Middlebrooks has to finish it out. If that doesn't work, so be it, you gave it your best shot.

Keatts says why not just play Middlebrooks all game and then when the game's over, we'll bring Burns back in so he can finish the game with 3 fouls and no impact on the outcome. Brilliant!

Good run by the Tide but UConn clearly the best team in the tourney, has been from the start. Purdue looks dominant too. We can’t complain when the two best teams make it.

I know there was probably no way to overcome the Edey foul tax no matter what they did, but IMO, leaving Burns on the bench for so long was malpractice by Keatts.
Congratulations, Burns didn't foul out. But almost every 2nd half minute he logged was when the game was over.

Worst case if Burns fouls out......you get maximum time with your best player on the court, and then Middlebrooks has to finish it out. If that doesn't work, so be it, you gave it your best shot.

Keatts says why not just play Middlebrooks all game and then when the game's over, we'll bring Burns back in so he can finish the game with 3 fouls and no impact on the outcome. Brilliant!
State kept turning Purdue over, but couldn't score off of the turnovers.

O'Connell's injury hurt them badly, too.

Like you, I would have put Burns in earlier. He never had a chance to get in the flow.

First time I’ve watched Edey, actually, and came away unimpressed. He’s clumsy with his feet and hands, But of course, you can’t teach height. In contrast, Clingan looks at Edey and says, “hold my beer.” I think Purdue is in trouble Monday night.

First time I’ve watched Edey, actually, and came away unimpressed. He’s clumsy with his feet and hands, But of course, you can’t teach height. In contrast, Clingan looks at Edey and says, “hold my beer.” I think Purdue is in trouble Monday night.

Thought State had a great strategy for him at times but not sure UConn will try and replicate it. I expect them to ask Clingman to guard him 1:1 and not let the Purdue shooters get clean looks.

State kept turning Purdue over, but couldn't score off of the turnovers.

O'Connell's injury hurt them badly, too.

Like you, I would have put Burns in earlier. He never had a chance to get in the flow.

Purdue is one of the 2-3 best teams in college basketball with a particularly tough matchup in Edey. Going into the game, State had beaten several good teams, but none as good as Purdue. There was a reason they were a 9 point underdog.

State actually did a very good job defensively. They just couldn't hit enough shots. A lot of that is a credit to Purdue's defense, since State was challenged to play inside out as effectively as normal due to Edey. It also obviously hurt to lose the starting PG early.

IMO Keatts did a fine job. And it was a great run, the best NC State sports experience I have had in more than 30 years. :wolf:

Can’t believe Clingan is a projected top 10 pick. I mean, I get the upside of it all defensively. But he’s sooooooo far from contributing in the NBA offensively that I’m sick if my team burns a high pick, potentially even top 5, on him.

Can’t believe Clingan is a projected top 10 pick. I mean, I get the upside of it all defensively. But he’s sooooooo far from contributing in the NBA offensively that I’m sick if my team burns a high pick, potentially even top 5, on him.
Embiid learned how to shoot 3s. He was 1 for 5 in his college career. Pretty sure they can teach Edey and Clingan. It's not like they are bricking up FTs with bad form. They just aren't asked to do anything outside the paint. That doesn't mean they will be good. But something like 60% of all people that are 7 foot tall play in the NBA. That's all people worldwide. No way they don't at least land as a player coming off the bench.

There were also a couple of stretches where Burns looked too tired to get up and down the court.

I don't see Purdue winning without a minimum of 15 made 3pt shots and at least 74 total points.

Hope the refs stay home as well.
If NW can get 90+ in each game, I have no problem playing UConn scoring 77. Purdue likes to play fast. If I’m UConn, I take them up on it and push the ball to beat Edey back.
Have you watched Purdue much? They’re the definition of a half court team in their intent & team makeup.

I don't see Purdue winning without a minimum of 15 made 3pt shots and at least 74 total points.

Hope the refs stay home as well.
If NW can get 90+ in each game, I have no problem playing UConn scoring 77. Purdue likes to play fast. If I’m UConn, I take them up on it and push the ball to beat Edey back.
Have you watched Purdue much? They’re the definition of a half court team in their intent & team makeup.
I’ve watched them, they have played both tempos.

Embiid learned how to shoot 3s. He was 1 for 5 in his college career. Pretty sure they can teach Edey and Clingan. It's not like they are bricking up FTs with bad form. They just aren't asked to do anything outside the paint. That doesn't mean they will be good. But something like 60% of all people that are 7 foot tall play in the NBA. That's all people worldwide. No way they don't at least land as a player coming off the bench.
I never said he shouldn’t be in the NBA, or won’t have a role. But if my team has a top 5 pick and that’s what we end up with, I’m not optimistic and quite frankly, would be pretty sick about it.

I never said he shouldn’t be in the NBA, or won’t have a role. But if my team has a top 5 pick and that’s what we end up with, I’m not optimistic and quite frankly, would be pretty sick about it.

Well.....I can tell you this as a Portland Trail Blazer fan. It's a BAD draft. Potentially the weakest draft seen since Anthony Bennett's fiasco draft. So, you may be pretty sick regardless.

Edey reminds me of Rik Smits. It’s so funny how he’d be the top pick in the 1995 nba draft and may be fortunate to go in the 20s now.

I think the better comp is the giant Thing from the movie "Never Ending Story" with the "big strong hands". If he's not immediately shooting or rebounding, the ball looks like a helium balloon in his hands, trying to wrangle it. Strangest player I've ever watched.

Edey v Clingan will be fun but I don't think it will decide this game. The problem matchup for Purdue will be those 4 UConn guards.

So I watched Monday, I watched Friday, and I’m going to watch today. That’s easily already the most woman’s basketball that I’ve watched in my entire life. I imagine there’s a lot of people like me?

Users who are viewing this thread