What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ndamukong Suh donates $2.6 Million to University of Nebraska (1 Viewer)

I honestly think all the talk of him dropping in the draft is crazy talk. He's got the least questions of any prospect in the first round.

How is he wealthy already? Doesn't he actually have to get drafted and sign a contract before he gets the moniez?

mcintyre1 said:
Not directly football related, but goes to show the man's character, that when he becomes wealthy at 23, he immediately gives back.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&a...p;DB_OEM_ID=100
more likegoes to show you how people who will be bankrupt within 5 years of retirement behave
:lmao: because he's donating money? How do you know what he may or may not be planning on doing with the rest of his money? Are you familiar with any finacial planners he may or may not have retained?

Or are you just trolling and fishing again?

mcintyre1 said:
Not directly football related, but goes to show the man's character, that when he becomes wealthy at 23, he immediately gives back.

more likegoes to show you how people who will be bankrupt within 5 years of retirement behave
:goodposting: because he's donating money? How do you know what he may or may not be planning on doing with the rest of his money? Are you familiar with any finacial planners he may or may not have retained?

:fishing:

This is LJ said:
I honestly think all the talk of him dropping in the draft is crazy talk. He's got the least questions of any prospect in the first round.
:goodposting: This guy should be the no-brainer #1 imo.

considering the signing bonus $ he's going to get soon, not to mention the endorsement stuff, it's either make these types of donations *and get some good PR out of it* - or pay it to the IRS.

Major university like Nebraska is like donating to a billion dollar business. I would rather have him donate his money to more worthy causes, but hey it's his money to do with it want he wants.

Major university like Nebraska is like donating to a billion dollar business. I would rather have him donate his money to more worthy causes, but hey it's his money to do with it want he wants.
Exactly. It's great that he donated money but he could have done so much more with it. Oh well.

mcintyre1 said:

:goodposting: because he's donating money? How do you know what he may or may not be planning on doing with the rest of his money? Are you familiar with any finacial planners he may or may not have retained?

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/29911960 per cent of retired NBA players go broke five years after their NBA paycheques stop arriving.

mcintyre1 said:

;) because he's donating money? How do you know what he may or may not be planning on doing with the rest of his money? Are you familiar with any finacial planners he may or may not have retained?

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/29911960 per cent of retired NBA players go broke five years after their NBA paycheques stop arriving.
:shrug: how many of those have graduated with a engineering degree?

or better yet how many of those have just even graduated?

mcintyre1 said:

;) because he's donating money? How do you know what he may or may not be planning on doing with the rest of his money? Are you familiar with any finacial planners he may or may not have retained?

:shrug: how many of those have graduated with a engineering degree?

how many even went to college?

Yes...heaven forbid his money somehow helps the school that gave him an education...or help it give someone else an education.While a big school does have plenty of money...it all depends on what it goes to, and from what I read, it was not all for athletics.

This is LJ said:
;) This guy should be the no-brainer #1 imo.
He is the #1 player, yes. But when your team's qb depth chart looks like this:QB: A.J. Feeley, Keith Null, Mike Reillyand you have a chance to pick a guy who grades as well as Bradford ... Don't cry for Suh, he will not sit in the green room long. When it comes to Ndamukong Suh its almost like you have to take him so that you don't ever have to face him. He is very rare talent...and judging by his generosity indicated by this story, is also a a good character guy.

It's great that he set up a scholarship, but $2 million for dumbbells and whirlpools? Donate it to a local high school or something.

Yes...heaven forbid his money somehow helps the school that gave him an education...or help it give someone else an education.While a big school does have plenty of money...it all depends on what it goes to, and from what I read, it was not all for athletics.
Nebraska did not GIVE Suh an education. He more than earned it himself and also earned Nebraska millions of dollars in the process. That being said, it's his money.

I'm still having trouble understanding why anyone is even questioning or looking at any negative side of this. Give appreciation to the man for his generosity and character, and move on...

Nebraska did not GIVE Suh an education. He more than earned it himself and also earned Nebraska millions of dollars in the process. That being said, it's his money.
No. I'm pretty sure they gave it to him. You see, he was getting a free education regardless of how good or poor a college football player he turned out to be.

No. I'm pretty sure they gave it to him. You see, he was getting a free education regardless of how good or poor a college football player he turned out to be.
Did Suh have to do anything for Nebraska for that tuition? It wasn't for free I can guarantee you that.

Not sure whom I hate more: People who support rapists or people who criticize others for the donations they make.

Exactly. It's great that he donated money but he could have done so much more with it. Oh well.
$2M to upgrade the part of the facility Suh felt help make him the player he is today...this is his "Thank you" to UN for all it gave him$600K as an endowment to the School of Engineering means there's roughly $20K/yr for someone to attend that might not otherwise had the opportunity

exactly "how much more" would you like to see him do?

and BTW...cats like this aren't "one + done"...I wouldn't be suprised to see him give more down the road

big'1K is right...how do you guys even question this?

mcintyre1 said:

:thumbup: This doesn't read like a page out of antoine walkers playbook.

Suh Sought Advice from Rozier, Pelini and Osborne

"When speaking with (former player) Guy Rozier, (Head) Coach Bo Pelini and (Athletic Director) Tom Osborne about the gift, I specifically asked that this gift be used to help other future Huskers as they train in the strength and conditioning center," Suh said. "This incredible facility helped me earn all the honors I was so privileged to receive this past season, and I believe this gift can help make this facility the very best in the country. This is my way to honor my teammates, coaches and fans by giving back to a program and a university that has given so much to me."

"This donation from Ndamukong Suh is the largest single gift we have received from a former player," Osborne said. "We appreciate Ndamukong's generosity to the athletic department, and we also appreciate his commitment to education, as he earned an Engineering degree, and appreciate the type of leadership he provided for our football team this past year. He is truly a credit to the football program and the university as a whole."

Paul Meyers, NU's Associate Athletic Director for Development, said: "Gifts from our former student-athletes send an important message. It re-enforces our hope that what we are doing here at Nebraska is making a difference in their lives beyond athletics."

Suh's $600,000 gift to the University of Nebraska Foundation will benefit students enrolled in UNL's College of Engineering. Suh is a graduate of the Charles Durham School of Architectural Engineering and Construction in the College of Engineering.

Suh asked that students from his high school, Grant High School in Portland, Ore., be given first preference for the scholarship he is creating. He said he wanted to help out-of-state students who pay more to attend the University of Nebraska. Suh's gift will be endowed, which means the principal will be invested and the net income used to create scholarships. By making the gift endowed, the Ndamukong Suh Scholarship will exist in perpetuity.

Castner: Suh's Biggest Impact May Be Off the Field

"It says so much about Ndamukong Suh that one of his first acts as a graduate is one of giving back, and helping students who are in need of a scholarship to the University of Nebraska," said Clarence Castner, president of the University of Nebraska Foundation. "He is an inspiration and a role model. It may be that his biggest impact will occur off the field."

"The balance between athletics and academics is one-of-a-kind at Nebraska," Suh said. "That's the reason I came here, and that's the reason I wanted to support the College of Engineering. I wanted to make sure that other out-of-state students would have the same opportunities that I did at Nebraska. This is a great school and will hold a special place in my heart forever."

Academics have always been important to Suh's family. His father, Michael, is an engineer and his mother, Bernadette, a teacher. Bernadette insisted that her son maintain at least a 3.0 average before he could join his high school football team.

Suh said one of the primary reasons he chose Nebraska was its highly regarded engineering program, and the athletic department's strong focus on academics.

Nebraska has more Academic All-Americans than any other football team in the country and a 94-percent graduation rate among athletes who exhaust their athletic eligibility. That mark ranks as the highest in the Big 12 Conference.

mcintyre1 said:

:thumbup: because he's donating money? How do you know what he may or may not be planning on doing with the rest of his money? Are you familiar with any finacial planners he may or may not have retained?

seems spurious. Sounds like amade up state to scare the kids (although it may be the right thing to do).

I wonder what % of these kids got degrees when in school etc.

mcintyre1 said:

:thumbup: because he's donating money? How do you know what he may or may not be planning on doing with the rest of his money? Are you familiar with any finacial planners he may or may not have retained?

:goodposting: how many of those have graduated with a engineering degree?

Yeah the engineering degree leads me to believe that he ain't gonna be one of those. All of us nonengineers don't know. I knew a buddy at Michigan in engineering. The difficulty and breadth of their workload is insane.

To compare NBA players in general with Suh on an academic level is ludicrous. I don't know how many NBA players even went to college, but to compare the ones who go broke in 5 years after they stop playing to a guy with an engineering degree and with the parents he has is just a poor decision in posting. No offense but you are way off the grid on this one.

First, Suh looks like a great kid. Good job on the donation.

BUT lets be clear here: HE DOES NOT HAVE AN ENGINEERING DEGREE!!!

He has a Construction Management degree. There is a HUGE difference in workload, complexity and difficulty between these two.

It just happens that in several schools in America, the Construction Management department is within the school of Engineering.

LOL, that's what you should do if that's how you feel. It's his money and donating it to anyone other than keeping it all to himself seperates him from 99 percent of the average athlete coming into the pros.

Not sure whom I hate more: People who support rapists or people who criticize others for the donations they make.
I don't know how you put those two categories on the same level but to each his own. Just seems like if you actually hate other people because they have an opinion on a thread in a message board, you're going to not like a lot of things. Hate is a very strong word, one that I really wonder if people know how to use it correctly.

LOL, that's what you should do if that's how you feel. It's his money and donating it to anyone other than keeping it all to himself seperates him from 99 percent of the average athlete coming into the pros.
Reading comprehension on the boards lately is getting bad. That's why in my all my posts in this thread I've stated it's his hard earned money and he can do whatever he wants with it. He can even donate it to Cobalt to upgrade his sperm lab.

Maybe he is making a pre-emptive strike to stop them from harassing him the rest of his life for donations. 25 years after I graduated I am still getting calls and letters for donations.

Reading comprehension on the boards lately is getting bad. That's why in my all my posts in this thread I've stated it's his hard earned money and he can do whatever he wants with it. He can even donate it to Cobalt to upgrade his sperm lab.
I read what you had, I bolded it. My point is who are we to determine for him what is a more worthy cause . (you're the one who posted you'd like him to donate to a more worthy cause). To him, Nebraska may be the most worthy cause there is, I really have no idea and to be honest, unless he's donating it to the Iwannabeacowboybaby! foundation it doesn't matter to me. So if it was to the University of Nebraska because he felt they helped him be the person he's become and it was a Thank You to them or if it was to the Haiti Foundation, it's great to see a young kid thinking of others before himself.You can say you didn't mention anything about him donating but it must have bothered you enough to post that you thought he should donate it to a more worthy cause. Personally I could care less where it goes if it's important to him, as I said, it's nice to see a young man thinking of others before himself regardless of where it goes.

Let me tell you what else is getting bad on the boards and that's the amount of negative responses directed to a poster when it can easily be prevented.

Let me give you an example how you can better get your point across: Hey Cowboy, you may have misinterpreted what I was saying. I don't really care where he donates his money, it's just I think it could be better used in say a donation to fight cancer or feed the hungry but hey, who am I to say. I hope that clears up what I was trying to say.

Not reading comprehension is getting bad on the boards lately....even if that's really what you're thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, Suh looks like a great kid. Good job on the donation.

BUT lets be clear here: HE DOES NOT HAVE AN ENGINEERING DEGREE!!!

He has a Construction Management degree. There is a HUGE difference in workload, complexity and difficulty between these two.

It just happens that in several schools in America, the Construction Management department is within the school of Engineering.
from U of N site
Major Details

Engineering

Agricultural Engineering

Biological Systems Engineering

Chemical Engineering

Civil Engineering

Computer Engineering

Construction Engineering

Construction Management

Electrical Engineering

Industrial and Management Systems Engineering

Interdisciplinary Studies

Mechanical Engineering
Construction ManagementPROGRAM DEFINITION

The construction management program is part of The Charles W. Durham School of Architectural Engineering

OK maybe its not EE but it is from the school of engineering . I'd say its a hell of a lot harder than my English degree

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to love players who throw their money around before they have it. It makes the statement:

LOOK AT ME I GOING TO BE RICH

Good for Nebraska, but this kid could be broke after 5 years out of the NFL, he will not be the first person with an Construction Management degree to go broke.

Ask any money manager what he thinks about spending $$$$$ before your have it, who else is going to give money to??

Yeah, there are a lot of strippers who aren't gonna see it rain because of this.

Suh is a great fellow man. He is intelligent, charitable, giving, and a great supporter of Nebraska. His father I believe owns his own construction company which Suh no doubt will do as well. Suh will take the money he makes in the NFL and turn it into a great business as well as help others. He is going to better this world with what has been given to him, what are you doing today to better this world?

mcintyre1 said:

:doh: because he's donating money? How do you know what he may or may not be planning on doing with the rest of his money?
How does Suh know that he'll ever have that much money?I'm all for donating money to your school, but it seems a bit irresponsible to donate more than your net worth when there's no guarantee that your career will last long enough to pay for it.

Users who are viewing this thread