What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need help with $1k 16 team league (1 Viewer)

Limp Dogg Bizkits

Footballguy
Need some help with a 16 team league. My buddy is going to miss his draft due to travel and it's a $1k buy in, ppr, 5 pts for pass td, and you have 3 defensive players. He wants me to draft for him and will split the prize money.

We have the 1 pick. I have ran a ton of simulations through draft dominator, but live drafts always end up way different.

This is my 1st 16 team draft. Any advice? In sims, the top 4 or 5 qb are gone at end of 2nd round. TJ, DK, Keenan and Cooper are usually the top guys available at the turn.

Need some help with a 16 team league. My buddy is going to miss his draft due to travel and it's a $1k buy in, ppr, 5 pts for pass td, and you have 3 defensive players. He wants me to draft for him and will split the prize money.

We have the 1 pick. I have ran a ton of simulations through draft dominator, but live drafts always end up way different.

This is my 1st 16 team draft. Any advice? In sims, the top 4 or 5 qb are gone at end of 2nd round. TJ, DK, Keenan and Cooper are usually the top guys available at the turn.
A lot on the line.

Is this 1 QB or SF?
Is this 1 PPR? Or .5 PPR? That matters a lot.

If 1 QB, and PPR it's either JJ or CMC. I'd lean JJ in this format.

That its 16 teams isn't really that relevant - just know that every team is going to have more weaknesses than in a 12 team league, so if you get to the 8th round and you look at your RB or WR depth, or lack thereof, don't freak out.

Take the best players that fall to you every round. You get back to back picks, but there are 30 players taken in between, so keep that in mind when trying to forecast.

Another piece of advice: at the 1 or the 16 spots, there is no such thing as a reach. If you want a player, pick them, because they WILL NOT make it back to you. Ever. Well, almost never. If they do, you were reaching too far. lol

Would be helpful to post up the roster requirements (start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 O-Flex, K, what are the IDP positions, or are they all flex?) how many bench spots, etc.

Last bit of advice: check the scoring system. The bonuses are good to know, but somewhat irrelevant. I wouldn't base my draft picks on them - the DD will rank your players according to scoring & I believe that takes into account those bonuses. But like, what's the IDP scoring? Is it tackle heavy, or big play-based? That's going to help you to know when to start taking them. Personally I wait until the 8-9-10 round to take a top 10 LB, and then ignore it for a while. It's only 3 roster spots, and there are SO MANY IDP guys. If it's a big-play type scoring where DE's are going to get the love, then you can take a Maxx Crosby, Micah Parsons type there. It's not going to be difficult to find IDP players with only 3 starters per roster.

Once you've posted more about the scoring & roster requirements maybe I can be of further help.

We are planning on drafting JJ with #1 pick
Solid plan.
It's 1 ppr
Yep - JJ still the pick
1 qb, 2 wr, 2 rb, 1 flex, 1 te, 1 k, 3 def players any position
OK, that's interesting.

First off, it reinforces my suggestion of fading IDP-ers. Figure 5-6 per team (3 starters, 2-3 bench), that's only 80-96 IDP players drafted. I still don't know your IDP scoring system to know whether you want a Roquan Smith or a Maxx Crosby, but I'll definitely advise you not to reach for any of them, and if a run starts early - like 5-6-7 round, let it go and stack up on good offensive players while others are throwing those picks away on a widely availablle resource.

Study up on sleepers and you can still land top IDP options later.

Again - if it's big play scoring that heavily favors DE, maybe spend a 7-8 pick on one of the top 5. Otherwise just go 10 rounds of offense before you even consider a LB or DE.

ETA with that 4 player bench, it’ll likely only be 48 IDP rostered. Maybe 58 if a few teams carry a backup, but seems unlikely. Renders IDP assets somewhat worthless.

Last edited:
with JJ as first pick you already have some advantage over the others. great. don't worry about idps till late, if at all. always so many and can be picked up and streamed if needed. if what you say about the top 4-5 qbs being gone by the 2/3 turn then i'd prolly not take one there. the good news is that a decent bit of good players will be there. if by some miracle ridley makes it to the turn smash that draft button. rbs prolly lingering around there will be najee, aaron jones, mixon, etn and could reach for pierce if ya want. you'll rolly want a rb here because they will thin out. after that just see what comes back to you and take best players. later rbs with rec upside like swift and gibson could be grea rb2s in a 16 teamer.

Solid plan.
It's 1 ppr
Yep - JJ still the pick
OK, that's interesting.

First off, it reinforces my suggestion of fading IDP-ers. Figure 5-6 per team (3 starters, 2-3 bench), that's only 80-96 IDP players drafted. I still don't know your IDP scoring system to know whether you want a Roquan Smith or a Maxx Crosby, but I'll definitely advise you not to reach for any of them, and if a run starts early - like 5-6-7 round, let it go and stack up on good offensive players while others are throwing those picks away on a widely availablle resource.

Again - if it's big play scoring that heavily favors DE, maybe spend a 7-8 pick on one of the top 5. Otherwise just go 10 rounds of offense before you even consider a LB or DE.
Using the DD, LBs are highest scoring and only average 9 pts per game.

Solid plan.
It's 1 ppr
Yep - JJ still the pick
OK, that's interesting.

What is the defensive scoring?

Someone like Roquon is going to score 20-30 in a tkl heavy system.

But if you’re at like 1 per full tkl, .5 per 1/2 tkl, I’d fade defensive players until the 12-14 round or so. There won’t be enough juice to make them more important than your QB2, WR5 or RB4.

Please post up the IDP scoring, thanks!

But if you’re at like 1 per full tkl, .5 per 1/2 tkl, I’d fade defensive players until the 12-14 round or so. There won’t be enough juice to make them more important than your QB2, WR5 or RB4.

rockaction you feelin IDP-ers in this start-3 low scoring format, or do you agree to fade ‘em for offense? Figure the IDP-relevant topics are few and far between. This might be the only action we get before kickoff. :lol:

Solid plan.
It's 1 ppr
Yep - JJ still the pick
OK, that's interesting.

1 for tackle
.5 assist
2 for sack, ff, fr, int

Solid plan.
It's 1 ppr
Yep - JJ still the pick
OK, that's interesting.

1 for tackle
.5 assist
2 for sack, ff, fr, int
yep. Fade IDP completely.

Weak IDP scoring + only 3 per team, you can wait until the end of the draft and take 3 green dot LB before you grab your kicker.

Let other people waste their early picks on elite IDP-ers.

I know nothing of IDP but IMO the bigger the league, the more emphasis you need to place on WR and RB. The supply/demand really gets out of hand quickly with 16 teams and the need to start 2-4 guys from those positions.

Hey, Hugsy here! I also play IDP. But I don't do IDP redraft, so take this with a grain of salt

My unsolicited advice to you is as follows, and would follow for a dynasty league also. Actually, it'd be for every IDP league I was in, and this is courtesy of an old FootballGuys article I read a few years back that was published in 2015 or so. It still holds, though:

What you should do -- and Hot Sauce Guy alluded to this, but didn't say it concretely -- is look at historical scoring and figure out where the IDP leaders lie among the point scorers in years past. Go back in league history and check the past two years. This does two things: It lets you know where to draft guys in relation to other similar scorers, and it helps you see whether DD is calculating the defensive scoring inputs correctly. Looking at league history will help make your tiers for you and it will ensure DD is reading your league settings because you'll be able to see what guys have scored recently.

What would I do in this particular situation? Well, if you're saying DD is only saying 9.8 points per game, tops, then you should be looking to make sure that the DD is reading this league's system correctly. You likely can manually input your scoring parameters into DD to see what happens with the rankings. That's what I would do. If that's the case, I'd stay away from IDP early and even middle if the scoring is that insignificant.

And yeah BYEs are usually the last thing I look at until I get to my bench but in your case you should be paying super close attention since you only have 4 bench spots.

Wow typing that out it sounds even more nuts.

It's 1 ppr

Pretty standard scoring. .1 point per yard rushing or receiving. .4 per passing yard. 5 points for passing td. 6 for rushing or receiving.

Def is tackle heavy.
JJ at 1.01. RBs with your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th picks unless a top-10 WR falls to you at 32. With 16 teams and only 2 required WRs in lineups, usable RBs will be waaaaaay more valuable than starting WRs on a week-to-week basis - yes, even in full PPR - and you need to have that leverage in the trade market. I would wait until 7.01 to draft my WR2 if the draft fell a certain way and be perfectly comfortable with it.

Double-tap QBs at the turn as soon as 10 or so have gone off the board. There *will* be a run with 16 teams, and for the love of God you do not want to be caught on the wrong end of it.

TE very early or very late. IDP with the last three picks before K.

Keep us informed and GL to you!

Oloukun is highest projected def player and gets 9.8 points per game
Yeah, the IDP is incredibly weak. You get neither tackle heavy nor sack heavy numbers. They’re using team D/ST scoring for IDP.

1 point tkl, so even a monster 10 tackle day gets you 10 points. That’s RB4 / WR5 numbers as a ceiling. Yeesh.

Offense positively dwarfs IDP in value, and because you only start 3 per team, and all flex, there’s zero positional rarity to concern yourself with.

it’s such a strange format, but at least you can be aware of it going in.

5pt pass TDs isn't enough to force me to change my default 16 team draft strategy which is to be the 16th player to select a starting QB. Also one of the last to select a TE. Load up on those RBs and WRs because with 16 teams it's going to get cold at those positions fast and we do not want to be caught out there underdressed. The wire will always be picked to the bone.

Jefferson at #1, two of Ridley/Mixon/Gibbs/Etienne/Cooper in that order at the 2/3 turn

Double-tap QBs at the turn as soon as 10 or so have gone off the board. There *will* be a run with 16 teams, and for the love of God you do not want to be caught on the wrong end of it.

With only 4 bench spots I'd be surprised if (most) teams roster 2 qbs.

I think it could go either way honestly.

On the one hand, I can always find a third-down RB or slot WR on the wire to get me 7-9 points in case of emergency if I have a bad bye or injury week, but there are always gonna only be 32 starting QBs each week. On the other, nobody wants to miss out on a potential league-winner because they were burning 25% of their bench spots on Sam Howell or Baker Mayfield.

It may turn into a game of chicken - will everyone decide to play it cool and roll solo (benefitting both themselves and their fellow owners) or panic and grab a backup (hurting themselves and ultimately hurting everyone)? Unfortunately, being at the turn with 30 picks in between, OP may have to be better safe than sorry.

As an aside, I'd love to run this league 1,000 times as a behavioral economics experiment and see what happens ... now all I need are 16,000 test subjects willing to pitch in $1k each. :biggrin:

5pt pass TDs isn't enough to force me to change my default 16 team draft strategy which is to be the 16th player to select a starting QB. Also one of the last to select a TE. Load up on those RBs and WRs because with 16 teams it's going to get cold at those positions fast and we do not want to be caught out there underdressed. The wire will always be picked to the bone.

Jefferson at #1, two of Ridley/Mixon/Gibbs/Etienne/Cooper in that order at the 2/3 turn

Will it though? For WRs in particular, I really tend to doubt it.

Each team only has to start 2. There aren't 48 RBs worthy of being every-week starters, so let's say 10 of the 16 roster a WR in the flex. And with only 4 bench spots, no one is going to keep more than 1, maaaybe 2 in reserve - call it 1.5 on average. That makes (32+10+18) = 60 WRs on rosters. Here's some guys with ADPs between WR60-70 at present: Marvin Mims, Gallup, DPJ, Chark, Van Jefferson, K.J. Osborn, Rashid Shaheed ... a lot of these guys are every-down receivers or close to it. I wouldn't be thrilled about starting them, but as emergency options go, I've seen way worse,

The more I ponder this format, the more I'm tempted to punt WR2 completely, and I mean "triple-digit picks" completely. The full-PPR is going to lure a lot of folks into stockpiling WR early, but VBD and positional scarcity argue for just the opposite - and even (J.Jeff + random WW dude) is gonna keep you competitive at the position. I think my going-in strategy would be JJ 1.01, and then RB-RB, RB-QB, RB-TE in some order at your next three turns depending on what's left at what position each time ... only then maybe I evaluate the WRs left on the board and go from there. I might even grab a RB5 before my WR2 if there are still top-40 guys out there and feel pretty confident that by October I'll be able to flip him for a way better WR2.

Great feedback! Looking at last year's rosters, over half of the teams had a backup qb.

Just found out another weird twist. You are only allowed 1 waiver wire move per week. They call it a "gentleman's league" and they are all very successful businessmen who don't have a bunch of time to dedicate towards ff. I guess they do it so one guy doesn't come and take a bunch of top waiver pickups. That definitely changes things.

Great feedback! Looking at last year's rosters, over half of the teams had a backup qb.

Sounds about right. Looking at the rankings now there's only 7 or 8 QBs I would be fine starting every week.

That most recent tidbit about waivers is CrrrrAzy. Definitely gotta pay a little extra attention to bye weeks and sacrifice a goat or two to the injury gods.

Definitely post the draft results.

Yeah, the IDP is incredibly weak. You get neither tackle heavy nor sack heavy numbers. They’re using team D/ST scoring for IDP.

1 point tkl, so even a monster 10 tackle day gets you 10 points. That’s RB4 / WR5 numbers as a ceiling. Yeesh.

Offense positively dwarfs IDP in value, and because you only start 3 per team, and all flex, there’s zero positional rarity to concern yourself with.

I'm in a very similar scoring league that's 14 teams, PPR, with 4 IDPs (1 each of LB, DL, DB, and one D Flex - I always use a LB as the D Flex). A great week for a D player is 12 pts, an average week is 7-8. It's possible to have one score 20 if there's a recovered fumble + TD or a pick six or a 4 sack game or something on top of a big tackle day, but it's rare.

I basically treat all the IDP players like kickers, because they score about like kickers do. So as soon as everyone has drafted their starting 7 (1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1Flex) all my leaguemates start grabbing Oluokun and Parsons and Donald and Roquan and Wagner types and I just start loading up on bench RBs and WRs through the next four rounds. In the last 5 rounds of the draft I get my 4 IDP's plus my kicker. Some guys will even take backup IDP players, and that just lets offensive players fall even further.

To the OP, I 100% agree with HSG and others in here. Ignore IDP in the draft and just load up on offense until the very end.

I'm in a very similar scoring league that's 14 teams, PPR, with 4 IDPs (1 each of LB, DL, DB, and one D Flex - I always use a LB as the D Flex). A great week for a D player is 12 pts, an average week is 7-8. It's possible to have one score 20 if there's a recovered fumble + TD or a pick six or a 4 sack game or something on top of a big tackle day, but it's rare.

I basically treat all the IDP players like kickers, because they score about like kickers do. So as soon as everyone has drafted their starting 7 (1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1Flex) all my leaguemates start grabbing Oluokun and Parsons and Donald and Roquan and Wagner types and I just start loading up on bench RBs and WRs through the next four rounds. In the last 5 rounds of the draft I get my 4 IDP's plus my kicker. Some guys will even take backup IDP players, and that just lets offensive players fall even further.

To the OP, I 100% agree with HSG and others in here. Ignore IDP in the draft and just load up on offense until the very end.
Would you target a QB and TE early?

Would you target a QB and TE early?
I would probably target one of them early but probably not both. Generally in a deep league (14+ teams) or a shallow league (8 teams), having an uber-stud is what sets your team apart from the pack. But the flip side of the coin, in a league that deep, your WR or RB depth is already going to be very thin. If you take QB AND TE early, now your WR depth AND RB depth will both be very thin.

My league skews QBs crazy high though because we get points for completions (+1 for comp, -0.5 for inc) so Mahomes/Allen/Burrow will go in the first round in that league, which isn't realistic.

Will it though? For WRs in particular, I really tend to doubt it.

Each team only has to start 2. There aren't 48 RBs worthy of being every-week starters, so let's say 10 of the 16 roster a WR in the flex. And with only 4 bench spots, no one is going to keep more than 1, maaaybe 2 in reserve - call it 1.5 on average. That makes (32+10+18) = 60 WRs on rosters. Here's some guys with ADPs between WR60-70 at present: Marvin Mims, Gallup, DPJ, Chark, Van Jefferson, K.J. Osborn, Rashid Shaheed ... a lot of these guys are every-down receivers or close to it. I wouldn't be thrilled about starting them, but as emergency options go, I've seen way worse,

The more I ponder this format, the more I'm tempted to punt WR2 completely, and I mean "triple-digit picks" completely. The full-PPR is going to lure a lot of folks into stockpiling WR early, but VBD and positional scarcity argue for just the opposite - and even (J.Jeff + random WW dude) is gonna keep you competitive at the position. I think my going-in strategy would be JJ 1.01, and then RB-RB, RB-QB, RB-TE in some order at your next three turns depending on what's left at what position each time ... only then maybe I evaluate the WRs left on the board and go from there. I might even grab a RB5 before my WR2 if there are still top-40 guys out there and feel pretty confident that by October I'll be able to flip him for a way better WR2.
PM sent

What a cluster F#@$!!

I was listed as the co-manager. Apparently, you cant draft as the co, only the primary. Buddy was in and out of cell service before we could get it fixed and switch me to manager.

Auto drafted JJ, then Ridley and A Jones. Not the end of the world. Rhamondre Stevenson and Mark Andrews were available and who I would have taken at 2/3

Here is the final team. I am not very happy with it, DD grades it an A, we're projected to win first game 120-110. I guess we will see.

1 JJ
32 Ridley
33 A Jones
64 Diontae Johnson
65 Kyle Pitts
96 Geno Smith
97 AJ Dillon. (Ugh, last decent RB on the board. Desperate pick for 2nd rb, both RBs are on same team, same bye. fml)
128 Gainwell
129 SKye Moore
160 Zeke
161 Tank
192 Al-Shaair
193 David Long Jr
224 Perryman
225 Gano

Users who are viewing this thread