What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need some FBG Lawyer Advice (1 Viewer)

Leviathan

Footballguy
My wife was involved in a car accident. She rear ended a car. It was her fault, without a doubt. Our vehicle and the other vehicle were totalled. The injuries were minor; everyone walked away from the accident with minor injuries. No hospital time, etc.

The statute of limitations for filing a claim against us is upon us. Our insurance agency called us today and informed us that the accident victim's lawyer is asking to extend said limitation and that we may be served. :oldunsure:

What should I expect? Can the plaintiff go after my 401k account?

Nervous...

Just to clarify: I do not expect anyone here (FBGs) to represent me/us in court. I've got that covered. I just want to know what I am potentially facing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't answer anything else, but 401(k) accounts are protected.
Thank you!Can I get a second? Blood pressure spiking over here.

A huge dent into my 401 would devastate me financially.
Even OJ got to keep his retirement.
Yeah, after millions of dollars spent on attorneys fees! My pockets are extremely shallow compared to his.
Well while we don't often agree I will keep your 401k in my thoughts. No one should lose their retirement over a car accident.

My wife was involved in a car accident. She rear ended a car. It was her fault, without a doubt. Our vehicle and the other vehicle were totalled. The injuries were minor; everyone walked away from the accident with minor injuries. No hospital time, etc.

The statute of limitations for filing a claim against us is upon us. Our insurance agency called us today and informed us that the accident victim's lawyer is asking to extend said limitation and that we may be served. :oldunsure:

Nervous...
Say no after the limitation expires?

Nervous...
It's not quite that simple.

Nervous...
A Judge will decide that. I have no say.

Can the plaintiff go after my 401k account?
Oh, he can go after it. Whether he'll get it is a whole other issue.
OK. This is what I needed to hear. I'll sit tight and wait until I need to lawyer up or not. :(
Why would you need to lawyer up? Isn't your insurance handling the matter? And if there were no major injuries, I wouldn't think the damages would exceed your coverage. What are your coverage limits?

OK. This is what I needed to hear. I'll sit tight and wait until I need to lawyer up or not. :(
Why would you need to lawyer up? Isn't your insurance handling the matter? And if there were no major injuries, I wouldn't think the damages would exceed your coverage. What are your coverage limits?
I've never been involved in something like this before. I have "full coverage" according to my insurance agency. Why would they call my wife and tell her that we may be served? I'm obviously not a lawyer and I'm confused. I'll have to look up my coverage limits. Unsure on that point, dammit!

I don't think you understand the purpose of insurance.
On the contrary, I understand the purpose of insurance. I've paid insurance for numerous reasons. Homes, boats, cars, etc. Why is MY insurance agency, in this intance, warning me that I may be served is the question.

On the contrary, I understand the purpose of insurance. I've paid insurance for numerous reasons. Homes, boats, cars, etc. Why is MY insurance agency, in this intance, warning me that I may be served is the question.
Because they are suing you - not the insurance company. So the Plaintiff has to serve you (your wife) personally.

As soon as you get served with the citation, call your insurance agent and send them the petition. They will then hire a lawyer to defend you who will answer the petition and handle the lawsuit. The insurance company pays the lawyer and any settlement/verdict up to your limit.

:lmao:

I've never been involved in something like this before. I have "full coverage" according to my insurance agency. Why would they call my wife and tell her that we may be served? I'm obviously not a lawyer and I'm confused.I'll have to look up my coverage limits. Unsure on that point, dammit!
Generally, a plaintiff will likely list anybody where there may be a colorful claim against that person. In cases like yours they must list the individual person who committed the tort. This does not mean that your wife's insurance company will not cover her liability.

Because they are suing you - not the insurance company. So the Plaintiff has to serve you (your wife) personally.

As soon as you get served with the citation, call your insurance agent and send them the petition. They will then hire a lawyer to defend you who will answer the petition and handle the lawsuit. The insurance company pays the lawyer and any settlement/verdict up to your limit.
Thank you!Dammit!

Yeah you don't understand insurance.

Why do find this funny? I have already admitted that I'm not a lawyer and do not not understand the ins and outs. :shrug:

Why do find this funny? I have already admitted that I'm not a lawyer and do not not understand the ins and outs. :shrug:
I'm laughing because you said you understand the purpose of insurance.

I'm laughing because you said you understand the purpose of insurance.
OK. Apparently I'm completely ignorant. You got me. That being said, while looking like a fool, I appreciate your input.

FYI - Your lawyer will have to respond to the lawsuit within a certain number of days. So make sure you get the petition to your insurance company as soon as possible once you are served.

He asked becuase he didn't know. If you haven't been through it you don't know so it's scary. Maybe cut him some slack.

That seems less than helpful. Under ERISA, unless the 401(k) is solely owned and held by a business owner and their spouse, it is protected from lawsuit.

So sure, someone could try to sue for it, but it would be tossed in no time flat and any plaintiffs lawyer would know that.

He asked becuase he didn't know. If you haven't been through it you don't know so it's scary. Maybe cut him some slack.
No worries. I am no longer ignorant with regard to this particular subject. Lesson learned! :thumbup:

Don't sweat it until the insurance company gives you the lowdown. Everything will be fine.

Check your policy or ask your agent for a copy.

What is your coverage limit? If your liability coverage is $100K and the victim is suing for $110K, then I would think that they'd sue your insurance company for $100K and then sue you for the other $10K.

He's hoping you take the hint and makes yourself scarce until the limitations period has passed. Take a vacation, hole up in your basement, don't answer the doorbell, stay off social media, wear a fake moustache, whatever it takes to avoid the process server until that deadline is dead.

Why would the judge grant an extension to the limits? If two years is the the limit, I'm sure some brilliant minds came up with that as a reasonable time period for any and all injuries to present themselves.

I suggest you take the papers you're served with, wipe your ### with them, and personally deliver them back to the enemy lawyer and person your wife hit. I'm pretty sure they'll get the message.

Afterwards, withdraw everything from your 401k and put it on the Ravens to win the Superbowl. It will look like you have no money and when the matter is settled in a few months and the Ravens win the Superbowl, you can retire in style!

Things like these are the reason that I picked up an umbrella policy, to increase my coverage max limits and make sure that I will hopefully never have to sweat out something like this. Coverage out to 2 million was not a very big add on to existing policy. Everyone should their agent and price one out.

Why would the judge grant an extension to the limits? If two years is the the limit, I'm sure some brilliant minds came up with that as a reasonable time period for any and all injuries to present themselves.
He's asking for a voluntary tolling agreement which would stay the running of the limitations period. In some cases, it makes sense for the defendant to agree to these. In this case, the insurance company is most likely not agreeing, which means the plaintiff's lawyer is going to have to get his lawsuit fired up before the time runs out. This was just a courtesy call to the OP to let him know what's possibly coming. This is all blind speculation, and could be completely wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread