What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New Job didn't pay me - (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stuart Ullman said:
Listen to this nonsense. I recently started a new job that pays weekly. I finish my 2nd week of training today and coincidentally, was supposed to get my first weeks pay today.

I wake up today. No paycheck (direct deposit).

I call my branch (it's a large call center). No answer, sent to voicemail. I call the payroll department. "Your account is so new, we're having trouble opening it. Call your local branch." Great.

I go online to our payroll website. It tells me to create an account. "We're unable to verify your identity with the information provided. Please call your local branch." Great.

I was pulled out of training yesterday in regards to my Social Security number. Allegedly, somebody had used it there in the past. Which, I don't believe since nothing comes up on my report on Social Security dot gov.

They want a copy of my Social Security Card to verify my number, which of course, I haven't had in years. It's never been an issue, as I've kept the number in my head. I kind of dismissed the lady in HR and decided to tackle the issue on Monday.

Now, however I've connected the dots. I didn't get paid and cannot be adequately served by the HR department because they haven't verified my Social Security Number. Pretty upset that the HR lady made no mention that this would prevent me from getting paid.

So I go online to order a new Social Security Card. 

"Thank you for requesting a replacement of your Social Security card on October 26, 2018.

You will receive another email when your request has been reviewed. Most applicants will receive their replacement Social Security card in 7 to 10 business days. "

7-10 business days. That puts me anywhere between November 6-10 before I will even receive the replacement card, let alone waiting for my company to fix the error and process the direct deposit.

That's going to be 4-weeks pay all at once but I was kind of counting on this money to:

1.) Buy schoolbooks. Classes started Monday. I toughed it out without books until this Friday. Won't have the actual books I need for another 2 weeks at this rate.

2.) Car insurance. It was due on the 16th. I delayed it until the 31st. Now it will cancel.

3.) Food and Gas. I was and still am scraping by on lunch meat sandwiches for lunch. I've got a 3/4 tank of gas. Which will last me another week, then what?

4.) Gym membership. Annual fees were due on the beginning of October. Told the gym I'd pay my membership today. Now I can't workout.

5.) Dental crown. I have a temporary crown in my mouth. I'm supposed to get that replaced next week but will have to cancel the appointment at this rate as goods are deliverable on payment.

6.) Drinking and other entertainment expenses. I'm 26 years old. If I want to go out for lunch. Go out for drinks. Smoke some weed. Go to the movies. Place a sports bet. That's all not happening for another 2-weeks.

7.) Get a haircut. This sounds dumb, but I've literally been putting off getting a haircut to pay for food and gas instead.

Do you see how ridiculous this is now getting? I am now enrolled in college with no schoolbooks. The car insurance I need to drive to work will cancel at the end of the month. I have no money to party on Halloween weekend (and only a few good years left to get blackout drunk). I will run out of gas and food. I have a gym membership I can't use, a full mop of hair that needs to get cut, and a temporary crown that looks absolutely ridiculous in my mouth.

I'm essentially a slave at this point until I receive my replacement Social Security Card in the mail. I'm going to have to run to Mom and Dad for money to eat and put gas in car (embarrassing). I'm going to miss out on all forms of entertainment and physical fitness for the next two weeks (love giving up 2 weeks of gains at the gym). All over some nonsense and technicality.

Now, don't construe this as complaining. Things could be worse. I could be dead. I could not have a job, an education, or a car to worry about at all. At some point I will look back at this at laugh.

But as of right now, it's just plain sad. Some of you will derive amusement from this, which is great, enjoy my misery.

All I can do is shake my head.
Look up the address for your local Social Security Office.

Go there in person Monday morning, or at lunch, or after work, or on day off.

Wait in line until they call your number.

Tell the lady you need a replacement card.

Wait 60 seconds.

Walk out with card in hand.

Total time: 5-30 minutes.

Total cost: $0

Your welcome.

(You may want to Google the required documents, I don't recall those, but the process is quicker and easier than the DMV or passport office.)

proninja said:
Now imagine you're an undocumented worker and this is a way of life rather than a momentary inconvenience. 

But you do it anyway because you want what's best for your family. Busting your ### and getting taken advantage of. 

Then you're vilified by the very people your labor profits that have every advantage you don't. 
InsertNPCmemehere

The ignorance of posts like this always give me a chuckle.

1. Imagine you are an undocumented worker who made $5/day or less and were at risk of being raped or murdered every time you walked out the door in your home country.

2. Now imagine you have to wait in line somewhere or get a form filled out or wait a week on your paycheck which is more money than you ever had in your life.

The horror! They would literally laugh in your face if they read your post.

Orange man bad.

I talked to the people at work. Jennifer informed me that the bank recognized the direct deposit account, so there's no issue there.

I'm told if my funds do not come through tomorrow, they will cut me a paper check. All that worry over nothing.

Stuart Ullman said:
They want a copy of my Social Security Card to verify my number, which of course, I haven't had in years. It's never been an issue, as I've kept the number in my head. 
If I were a betting man I would wager that you’ve misremembered your social. 

If I were a betting man I would wager that you’ve misremembered your social. 
Impossible. When I was 16, I worked at a pizza place that had our Social Security Number as our login number.

I would never forget it. That's probably around the time my card went missing, give or take a few years.

Impossible. When I was 16, I worked at a pizza place that had our Social Security Number as our login number.

I would never forget it. That's probably around the time my card went missing, give or take a few years.
Unless you also gave them the wrong SSN. They wouldn't have caught it because the person that number belongs to didn't work there.

proninja said:
Now imagine you're an undocumented worker and this is a way of life rather than a momentary inconvenience. 

But you do it anyway because you want what's best for your family. Busting your ### and getting taken advantage of. 

Then you're vilified by the very people your labor profits that have every advantage you don't. 
I really hope this was a joke. If not, you should never post here again. 

How the hell is a gym membership on the list of priorities.  If cash is tight that is the first thing you get rid of and then any habits like drinking and gambling as well.

proninja said:

Wtf lol

I talked to the people at work. Jennifer informed me that the bank recognized the direct deposit account, so there's no issue there.

I'm told if my funds do not come through tomorrow, they will cut me a paper check. All that worry over nothing.
Good to hear 

Stuart Ullman said:
I think I know my Social Security Number. Going to put the onus on them for this one...
You know, illegal aliens often get busted when they get caught using someone else's SSN.  I think we're going to need to see your birth certificate.

What happened to the other, even dumber thread?
The mods axed it. Not sure why. Probably wasn't the most kosher social dynamic to be discussed.

I had some pretty nice updates too. Ended up smoking a blunt with a different chick on my lunch break yesterday and was also able to flirt it up with blondie as I was leaving work.

:thumbup:

Look up the address for your local Social Security Office.

Go there in person Monday morning, or at lunch, or after work, or on day off.

Wait in line until they call your number.

Tell the lady you need a replacement card.

Wait 60 seconds.

Walk out with card in hand.

Total time: 5-30 minutes.

Total cost: $0

Your welcome.

(You may want to Google the required documents, I don't recall those, but the process is quicker and easier than the DMV or passport office.)
Not how it works here. My wife had to wait for it to come in the mail

UPDATE:

Went into work. Of course, payroll is gone for the day. Had to deal with a cranky, middle aged woman with  short haircut(you connect the dots). I'm being told that a paper check was sent to me in the mail. Funny how I've been given a different answer from the last 3 people I've spoken to.

I'm told to go home and check my mailbox for my paycheck. It's not in there. I know it's not in there. She might as well have said, "get the #### out of my face".

Nice black lady gives me a gift card to Starbucks. Looked it up online, it's worth $5.

"Nice".

UPDATE:

Went into work. Of course, payroll is gone for the day. Had to deal with a cranky, middle aged woman with  short haircut(you connect the dots). I'm being told that a paper check was sent to me in the mail. Funny how I've been given a different answer from the last 3 people I've spoken to.

I'm told to go home and check my mailbox for my paycheck. It's not in there. I know it's not in there. She might as well have said, "get the #### out of my face".

Nice black lady gives me a gift card to Starbucks. Looked it up online, it's worth $5.

"Nice".

UPDATE:

"Nice".
Tom Segura taught me that Starbucks sells food now, so at least that partially solves one of your problems?

I found a nice Starbucks beachside.

A location I would never travel to on a normal day. But hey, gives me an excuse to explore a little bit. The trope of Starbucks being filled with white women is true. I bet the majority of these women are single.

Not sure what kind of parallel dimension I've fallen into. There's a guy here reading an actual paper version of the Wall Street Journal. Lady behind me was nice enough to lend me $0.30 when my gift card was short to buy a Double Smoked bacon, egg, and cheese breakfast sandwich.

Girl on the other side of the establishment keeps looking at me. Not sure if she wants to be approached or just has a staring problem.

Might roll up the legs of my sweatpants and walk down the beach for a little bit. Then again, that sounds pretty messy. 

Upon leaving Starbucks, two young bombshells in short shorts are talking about dogs. One of them wants a Pomeranian AND a Golden Retriever.

Okay, now I really want to walk down the beach. What's that? You have to pay to park?

*looks down at cupholder for change*

I have 6 pennies and a Tootsie Roll wrapper. That's not going to get the job done.

Hawkeye21 said:
How the hell is a gym membership on the list of priorities.  If cash is tight that is the first thing you get rid of and then any habits like drinking and gambling as well.
Just a data point:

I’ve worked at a [high-end] gym and my wife has been working for a company who owns gyms/health clubs/resorts all over the West Coast for the last 18 years. The gym membership is the last thing people give up when things get tight. Lots of reasons: access to showers/toiletries, built in social circle (e.g. rec league basketball, friends in your yoga class), ability to “control” something (workout schedule) when job/life seems to be going sideways, not having to pay another initiation fee of you quit and re-join, stigma among friends that you “can’t even afford a gym membership.”

not saying any of that reasoning is applicable to the OP of course. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a data point:

I’ve worked at a [high-end] gym and my wife has been working for a company who owns gyms/health clubs/resorts all over the West Coast for the last 18 years. The gym membership is the last thing people give up when things get tight. Lots of reasons: access to showers/toiletries, built in social circle (e.g. rec league basketball, friends in your yoga class), ability to “control” something (workout schedule) when job/life seems to be going sideways, not having to pay another initiation fee of you quit and re-join, stigma among friends that you “can’t even afford a gym membership.”

not saying any of that reasoning is applicable to the OP of course. 
In my case, gym membership is only $9.99 a month. I got hit for annual fees, so I owe them like $60. Which again, is do-able if I ever get paid for the first 2-weeks of work.

For me, it's strictly an appearance thing. I'm not 6 foot tall. I have a slight build. All my sex appeal comes from biceps, chest, and abs.

School and work started back up within a week of each other. So I took a small break to establish some work life - balance. Now, I'm being restricted the ability to control what I can control (in regards to my body) and it's wrecking my self-esteem.

It's a 14-point swing. Not only am I not scoring 7 points (my arms getting bigger), but I'm also giving up 7 points (my arms getting smaller).

My goals and general life progress / happiness are being hindered by things out of my control. It's ####### bull####.

A single person in their mid-20s should not be this desperate for a paycheck. You had a bunch of expenses coming up and didn't plan ahead at all? Come on dude
I dropped $1,100 to pay for last month's college tuition. Despite having $5,000 credit balance in financial aid and loans coming my way, I had to pay for last semester's previous balance before I could re-enroll. This was the main killshot to my "cash on hand". I still get that $5,000 in financial aid on November 7th. Didn't plan ahead? I expected my job to pay me when they said they were going to.

I have $150 from unemployment that comes my way on Monday. Not sure the best place to allocate those funds. Really don't see how this falls 100% on me, it's just a bunch of dumb technicalities. I decided to finish school which cost me my last remaining $1,100. I decided to get a job so I'm not entitled to the last $550 available on my unemployment claim, otherwise it's considered fraud (because I worked).

If I decided to be a lowlife, smoking weed, collecting unemployment, and not finish school; I'd be sitting on $1,650+ right now. Had no clue my job was going to stiff me on my first paycheck. I don't think that's not planning ahead. I have never had anything like this happen to me before. If anything, I'm a victim of making the right life decisions right now.

Next conundrum, is whether or not I want to get a "book credit" from my College on Monday (they deduct financial aid) to pay $400 for two-books I can buy electronically online for $80. Again, was just trying to be saavy with cash. But I'm getting burned again.

My professors are being pretty cool about it, being Accounting and Businesses classes, their response was "yeah, we fully understand that HR / Payroll screws this stuff up from time to time". But I'm just getting frustrated watching the mound of reading and assignments that are starting to stack up.

I'll never understand it. 
I don't know man. You've always been much meaner to me on an individual basis than I ever have been to anyone else on these boards. People may not like the crass way I describe things or my belligerent attitude, but I never go around intentionally attacking other poster''s personal lives or trying to make them feel bad about themselves.

I've never understood how people act like they're morally superior to me, as they eviscerate my life and wish ill-will towards me over the internet.

I don't know man. You've always been much meaner to me on an individual basis than I ever have been to anyone else on these boards. People may not like the crass way I describe things or my belligerent attitude, but I never go around intentionally attacking other poster''s personal lives or trying to make them feel bad about themselves.

I've never understood how people act like they're morally superior to me, as they eviscerate my life and wish ill-will towards me over the internet.
It’s because you’re a racist. HTH

It’s because you’re a racist. HTH
How about I just delete the thread, then? This is why we can't have fun.

A bunch of wet blankets come in and ruin everything.
 i know i hate it  when i start a thread and say racist and bigoted things and people call me out on it but hey in this day and age i would hope that a mod would take a look and say you know what you want to say that kind of crap hey thats great but hell no we will not let you hide it when people call you out on it instead we will make you dance with the horse you rode in on take that to the bank bromigos

You guys have fun hijacking my thread. A thread I made to try and provide some entertainment for everyone.

I'm going to go out, buy a 40 oz bottle of malt liquor for $2.30, and go dancing with a bunch of pretty girls.

Happy Halloween! ?

I don't think suggesting that an easy-to-attain part-time job would be a good way to get you through your short-term money crunch is insulting. 
Too late to engage with me. You're being intellectually dishonest. I have a job. Payroll screwed up and didn't pay me on time.

That doesn't mean I should go out and get a job at minimum wage cooking french fries. Again, you all act like you're morally superior. But look at how low you're all stooping.

I don't associate with people who conduct themselves like this, sorry. Bully ing isn't okay or fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread