What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New player in AP/Calvin Johnson sweepstakes? (1 Viewer)

sib

Footballguy
From PFT:

JETS CONSIDERING A TRADE UP?

We're hearing that the New York Jets are considering an effort to trade up from the No. 25 spot in round one to the top of the draft.

The Jets would like to get in position to draft either receiver Calvin Johnson or running back Adrian Peterson.

To ensure that they'll get either guy, the Jets likely would have to land no lower than No. 3.

From PFT:JETS CONSIDERING A TRADE UP?We're hearing that the New York Jets are considering an effort to trade up from the No. 25 spot in round one to the top of the draft.The Jets would like to get in position to draft either receiver Calvin Johnson or running back Adrian Peterson.To ensure that they'll get either guy, the Jets likely would have to land no lower than No. 3.
It would cost them their entire draft this year and next to move up that far. It isn't realistic.

From PFT:JETS CONSIDERING A TRADE UP?We're hearing that the New York Jets are considering an effort to trade up from the No. 25 spot in round one to the top of the draft.The Jets would like to get in position to draft either receiver Calvin Johnson or running back Adrian Peterson.To ensure that they'll get either guy, the Jets likely would have to land no lower than No. 3.
The Jets are 26. What could they POSSIBLY have to move up into the 3 range. I think this is all a smokescreen. The JETS have NO chance at getting AP or CJ.

With only the #26 pick in the first round they'd have to give up a lot more to get into that neighborhood. Unless they pull a Ditka I'm not sure how they'd do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
From PFT:

JETS CONSIDERING A TRADE UP?

We're hearing that the New York Jets are considering an effort to trade up from the No. 25 spot in round one to the top of the draft.

The Jets would like to get in position to draft either receiver Calvin Johnson or running back Adrian Peterson.

To ensure that they'll get either guy, the Jets likely would have to land no lower than No. 3.
:blackdot: okay, time to see if PFT is anything more then just a guy with a computer.

If he nails this one, he will no longer be worse then the National Enquirer. Seriously.

The Jets seemed to like Clemens and Vilma didn't fit in the 3-4.

How about Pennington, Vilma, and the #1 to the Lions for the #2 overall? I have no idea what the cap #'s are.

This rumor is making the rds on the JEt Insider message boards. A supposed insider reported this - same guy that called the Abe trade last year so he ahs some credit - but still doubt it will happen. He is also saying JEts shopping Vilma.

FWIW - draft value board - Jets 1st rder and 2 2nd rders will get them to #6 overall - Skins who really need more picks....

What player are they giving up in the deal? Vilma?

Edit: Apparently so. I guess I can understand them thinking that if they have to lose one of their best playmakers, they'd like to get one of the best playmakers in the draft. I just don't think it's a great idea.

If they are willing to give up that much for AP they should just sign Turner. He'll cost less both contract wise and what it would take to move up.

What player are they giving up in the deal? Vilma?Edit: Apparently so. I guess I can understand them thinking that if they have to lose one of their best playmakers, they'd like to get one of the best playmakers in the draft. I just don't think it's a great idea.
If they are going to trade Vilma, I sure hope they get a defensive player back (or atleast a proven player back in addition to the pick). This would create more holes and remove one of the defensive centerpieces of the team (granted he did not flourish in the 4-3)... I don't like the move for a top RB who could easily be a bust.Much rather them grab an RB in the second like Bush, Leonard or Irons.

Vilma and the Jets 1 could be enough? I don't see Pennington being traded, even if they like Clemens, or they would have held onto Ramsey as a backup. Maybe Vilma, the 1 and a three? Vilma has played it very low key, but from local radio interviews, it's easy to tell he doesn't like the 3-4 at all. I could actually see something like this happeneing. I doubt it, but I don't think it's super far fetched either.

PS: Sometimes, it's best to not think out loud. :thumbup:

Vilma/Sims would be a sick LB tandem for the Lions. I'm sure if Vilma is included, that would be a tempting offer. But, #25 seems like too big of a drop.

Vilma and the Jets 1 could be enough? I don't see Pennington being traded, even if they like Clemens, or they would have held onto Ramsey as a backup. Maybe Vilma, the 1 and a three? Vilma has played it very low key, but from local radio interviews, it's easy to tell he doesn't like the 3-4 at all. I could actually see something like this happeneing. I doubt it, but I don't think it's super far fetched either.
I guess their 1, 2 and Vilma COULD get them to 3 (Cleveland). I dont know what Cleveland thinks of thier LB's. How was D'Qwell Jackson last year?

I guess their 1, 2 and Vilma COULD get them to 3 (Cleveland). I dont know what Cleveland thinks of thier LB's. How was D'Qwell Jackson last year?
I editted my post.... it would make more sense to make an offer to Turner for a one and a three, instead of the same deal for Peterson AND losing Vilma. I think Vilma and the 26 should be enough for a 3 overall. Vilma is a very good LB in a 4-3.... not so much when he has to shed blocks in a 3-4. Question: just in terms of Vilma on his own... what draft pick is he worth straight up?

Sorry- but I think we're undervaluing Vilma here..

despite the fact that he isn't best fit for this scheme, he's entering his fourth year with defensive rookie (whoops didn't mean player) of the year behind him, and only going to be 25 - He's a proven player who has shown he can be dominant in the 4-3 - maybe the change in schemes gives trading partners some leverage, but I hope they're not going batty over these top two players.

I editted my post.... it would make more sense to make an offer to Turner for a one and a three, instead of the same deal for Peterson AND losing Vilma. I think Vilma and the 26 should be enough for a 3 overall. Vilma is a very good LB in a 4-3.... not so much when he has to shed blocks in a 3-4. Question: just in terms of Vilma on his own... what draft pick is he worth straight up?
Taking team needs out of the equation, I think in todays NFL, Vilma is worth anything from 25 down. I think he is respected but had 1 huge year out of 3 and doesnt fit the profile of a playmaker because he doesnt get sacks or interceptions.

Taking team needs out of the equation, I think in todays NFL, Vilma is worth anything from 25 down. I think he is respected but had 1 huge year out of 3 and doesnt fit the profile of a playmaker because he doesnt get sacks or interceptions.
The guy had 70 tackles his rookie season (not player all games) and 130 in year two (better year than many of the top MLBs in the league have had)... he changes to a scheme that he's never player in and he isn't a playmaker? I respectfully disagree.Maybe he continues to adjust in the 3-4 and ups the ante this year, but put him in a 4-3, he's a playmaker.

I think Vilma and the 26 should be enough for a 3 overall.
No chance.Edit: Well...maybe.
Yeah... at first I was like a one, a three and Vilma for the 3. Then I'm like, well, Abraham was good for a one as a franchised tagged player without a contract, which was eventually worked out to over pay Abraham.... and here is Vilma, a DROY, one time pro bowler, young, entering his fourth year and locked up to a reasonable contract. He has to be worth what an overpaid Abraham was worth, isn't he? From a Jets' perspective, one has to think they simply would get better value for Vilma and a #26 overall than a third, but these deals.... like SA not getting bites for a 2nd.... geeze, I have no freakin clue what a Player's value is anymore. I think that puts me right up there with a lot of NFL GM's. I give up... I no longer have an opinion on any of these trades anymore, because I have no clue.

The guy had 70 tackles his rookie season (not player all games) and 130 in year two (better year than many of the top MLBs in the league have had)... he changes to a scheme that he's never player in and he isn't a playmaker? I respectfully disagree.Maybe he continues to adjust in the 3-4 and ups the ante this year, but put him in a 4-3, he's a playmaker.
I am talking about perceived value. He has only 2.5 career sacks in 3 years and 5 interceptions.Other top flight MLBUrlacher - In 6.5 years he has 32.5 sacks and 10 interceptions.Bruschi - In 10 years he has 28.5 sacks and 12 interceptions with 4 TD'sFletcher - In 9 years he has 27.5 sacks and 11 interceptions.Ray Lewis - In 10 years he has 28 sachs and 23 interceptionsIts just measurables. Vilma is an excellent player but one of the reasons that trades arent prevelent in the NFL is because you only have a finite number of years to play. Some might think that Vilma is entering his prime, others would say he has used 3 of his 8 years of prime playing.

I am talking about perceived value. He has only 2.5 career sacks in 3 years and 5 interceptions.Other top flight MLBUrlacher - In 6.5 years he has 32.5 sacks and 10 interceptions.Bruschi - In 10 years he has 28.5 sacks and 12 interceptions with 4 TD'sFletcher - In 9 years he has 27.5 sacks and 11 interceptions.Ray Lewis - In 10 years he has 28 sachs and 23 interceptionsIts just measurables. Vilma is an excellent player but one of the reasons that trades arent prevelent in the NFL is because you only have a finite number of years to play. Some might think that Vilma is entering his prime, others would say he has used 3 of his 8 years of prime playing.
Vilma didn't start the first 3 or 4 games of his rookie season. Still was the DROY. Then, he made the probowl in year two as an alternate. Last year has to be considered a wash. Vilma never got the blitz call, so he couldn't get sacks. Aside from that, he playes the strong side ILB spot in Mangini's 3-4. That is the position that will always get the lowest stat numbers. Last year was an anomoly, a new defense and being put in the least productive spot amoung the 4 LB positions. That is Mangini's stay at home position, and frankly, does not suit Vilma's talent set worth a darn. Is Barnett also suddenly lousy? All that happened there wasn't even a scheme change, it was the addition of Hawk. Vilma led the NFL in tackles in 2005. So, to take the bias out of your stat listing, say Vilma in 2.7 years.... you gave Urlacher a half year off. Vilma is very capable of the big play, but it's scheme dependent. Last year Vilma had NO sacks, NO INT's, and that isn't because he suddenly sucks. It's about the scheme. I've been told how very wrong I am about this, but my opinion hasn't changed. Vilma should be an OLB in the 3-4. He would double the sack production Hobson had from that spot. His game is speed and making reads. Not shedding blocks behind a weak D line in a 3-4. And that last comment.... that Vilma's prime started in his rookie year? LMAO. I guess the Pats NEVER should have signed A Thomas, who will be 30 when the season starts. He's clearly washed up. Stick a fork in him. He's over the hill, a has been. Past his prime. Bad signing.

First off, if this is even being contemplated by the Jets, they are working with the Lions to get the second pick and not Cleveland. I can't see any way the Jets would trade Vilma to get to three and potentially still not get CJ or AP. For example, Garcia signs with the Raiders and they trade Moss. That assures that the Raiders take CJ #1 overall (maybe even without a Moss trade). Then say the Lions trade out to #8 and Houston moves up to take AP. What would the Jets think then having given Vilma up. Of course, I guess the deal could happen while the Browns are on the clock.

Vilma didn't start the first 3 or 4 games of his rookie season. Still was the DROY. Then, he made the probowl in year two as an alternate. Last year has to be considered a wash. Vilma never got the blitz call, so he couldn't get sacks. Aside from that, he playes the strong side ILB spot in Mangini's 3-4. That is the position that will always get the lowest stat numbers. Last year was an anomoly, a new defense and being put in the least productive spot amoung the 4 LB positions. That is Mangini's stay at home position, and frankly, does not suit Vilma's talent set worth a darn. Is Barnett also suddenly lousy? All that happened there wasn't even a scheme change, it was the addition of Hawk. Vilma led the NFL in tackles in 2005. So, to take the bias out of your stat listing, say Vilma in 2.7 years.... you gave Urlacher a half year off. Vilma is very capable of the big play, but it's scheme dependent. Last year Vilma had NO sacks, NO INT's, and that isn't because he suddenly sucks. It's about the scheme. I've been told how very wrong I am about this, but my opinion hasn't changed. Vilma should be an OLB in the 3-4. He would double the sack production Hobson had from that spot. His game is speed and making reads. Not shedding blocks behind a weak D line in a 3-4. And that last comment.... that Vilma's prime started in his rookie year? LMAO. I guess the Pats NEVER should have signed A Thomas, who will be 30 when the season starts. He's clearly washed up. Stick a fork in him. He's over the hill, a has been. Past his prime. Bad signing.
I dont disagree with a thing that you wrote but the way the NFL operates and how draft picks are valued, I dont think Vilma is worth more than the 20th to 25th pick. Essentially I fit him into that range because I dont feel that Vilma and #26 will get you #2.

I dont disagree with a thing that you wrote but the way the NFL operates and how draft picks are valued, I dont think Vilma is worth more than the 20th to 25th pick. Essentially I fit him into that range because I dont feel that Vilma and #26 will get you #2.
Then they should absolutely not trade him...I agree with Rovers with Vilma at Hobson's spot. Vilma is an absolute beast.

Well, that's the dilemna,, isn't it? Atlanta thought Abraham, a player with a bad injury history, and a malconent, with a DUI in his past was worth what, a 28? and that was as a FT'ed player, who had to be overpaid. Compare that to Vilma, a durable never mis-a-game guy, who has leadership qualities and no character issue, was a DROY and a probowler three years into his NFL career, locked up to a very reasonable contract, and he has the same value? But, you might be right. I don't understand how these GM's value players at all anymore... really, I have no clue.

I think that Vilma going to a 4-3 and a 26 is worth a 2 or a 3, but that won't get me a subway ride. I still shake my head that SA wasn't worth a 2 last year, but Abraham was worth a first. Any time a player is involved in a trade involving draft picks, all bets are off. The Skins trade draft picks like it's Monopoly money. Other teams over value draft picks. Reminds me of some of my league mates in dynasty leagues.... and sometimes, makes about as much sense.

The Jets are 26. What could they POSSIBLY have to move up into the 3 range. I think this is all a smokescreen.
Teams picking 26th don't send out smokescreens.Teams picking 26th pray they come out of round 1 with a new starter.
Mangold ring a bell here?
He was a very good pick, and I would say that a majority of the good players that have been drafted at the end of the 1st, were from postitions that dont go very earl in the draft.

Teams that know how to draft expect to get a starter with their first rond pick, unless it's a QB.... the Raiders on the other hand, hope they can get ONE starter out of the draft and FA these days. They broke the mold with Huff and Thomas last year though. At least they got two starters.

Teams that know how to draft expect to get a starter with their first rond pick, unless it's a QB.... the Raiders on the other hand, hope they can get ONE starter out of the draft and FA these days. They broke the mold with Huff and Thomas last year though. At least they got two starters.
Here are the last four #26 picks:2003 - Kwame Harris, San Francisco2004 - Chris Perry, Cincinnati2005 - Chris Spencer, Seattle2006 - John McCargo, BuffaloYou have posters in your room of any of those guys?

Here are the last four #26 picks:2003 - Kwame Harris, San Francisco2004 - Chris Perry, Cincinnati2005 - Chris Spencer, Seattle2006 - John McCargo, BuffaloYou have posters in your room of any of those guys?
Since when did any of those teams know how to draft?

First off, if this is even being contemplated by the Jets, they are working with the Lions to get the second pick and not Cleveland. I can't see any way the Jets would trade Vilma to get to three and potentially still not get CJ or AP. For example, Garcia signs with the Raiders and they trade Moss. That assures that the Raiders take CJ #1 overall (maybe even without a Moss trade). Then say the Lions trade out to #8 and Houston moves up to take AP. What would the Jets think then having given Vilma up. Of course, I guess the deal could happen while the Browns are on the clock.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Cleveland run the 3-4? That makes it pretty unlikely in my book that they would go for a guy who clearly doesn't fit the 3-4. Plus, they have a glut of inside guys in Andra Davis, D'Qwell Jackson and Leon Williams. Only way would be if they were looking at Vilma to replace McGinest because they just drafted Wimbley last year.

If your think about the Lions taking Drew Stanton with the #26, who they are reportedly high on, this scenario makes some sense.

Vilma and Stanton for the #2 doesn't look all that bad. Or they roll the dice and hope Stanton is there at #2.2 and take a CB or DE with the #26. :lmao:

I can see the Lions holding out for a better pick and making the Jets trade up to a spot where they know they felt more confident they would get their guy. Maybe Vilma and the #20.

If your think about the Lions taking Drew Stanton with the #26, who they are reportedly high on, this scenario makes some sense.Vilma and Stanton for the #2 doesn't look all that bad. Or they roll the dice and hope Stanton is there at #2.2 and take a CB or DE with the #26. :lmao:
Makes sense for Lions - I don't think it does for the Jets losing a defensive cornerstone and another guy who could be a starter on defense for a guy who could flop.A first round RB is not a must in this league, they could easily get a 2nd round RB with one of the two picks.

The Jets are 26. What could they POSSIBLY have to move up into the 3 range. I think this is all a smokescreen.
Teams picking 26th don't send out smokescreens.Teams picking 26th pray they come out of round 1 with a new starter.
Mangold ring a bell here?
:lmao: They made a GREAT pick @ 1.29 last year.Doesn't make my statement any less accurate.
I don't see how anyone could not agree with both points.

The second I see anyone creating a rumor that involves the Jets going out of their way to get a WR I know it's not happennin'. For AP, OK let's talk but for Calvin, why?Cotchery looks as good as any young WR in the NFL. Coles is IMO the very best at getting to a spot in the NFL. Coles is an absolute pain in the neck to the D everytime I see him play. He's not getting 50 yard deep pass and reminding you of some famous WR from years ago but watch a D try and stop him from running a quick 5-6 yard route.Both IMO are wayyyyyyyyyy better than what they've had in San Diego or New England where the coaches "roots" are from. These aren't former Rams coaches looking for the next Holt and Bruce but coaches from systems that needed solid but not pro bowl WRs.San Diego may be taking a step up with their WRs if Vincent Jackson pans out but Parker and McCardell were nothing like Rice and Owens. It's just not needed for their scheme.

If your think about the Lions taking Drew Stanton with the #26, who they are reportedly high on, this scenario makes some sense.Vilma and Stanton for the #2 doesn't look all that bad. Or they roll the dice and hope Stanton is there at #2.2 and take a CB or DE with the #26. :shrug:
Makes sense for Lions - I don't think it does for the Jets losing a defensive cornerstone and another guy who could be a starter on defense for a guy who could flop.A first round RB is not a must in this league, they could easily get a 2nd round RB with one of the two picks.
I agree. It doesn't make much sense to me that the Jets would give up so much to get AP. And if its CJ that they're targeting, that is curious too considering the good play of Coles and emergence of Cotchery last year.Maybe they want to draft Joe Thomas so they can move Ferguson to the right side! :lol: .... :no:

the jets are not giving up their entire draft (or their first and vilma) to move up for calvin johnson. He's an elite talent, but it doesnt seem like the mangini style. Wide reciever is not the jets problem. Cotchery and coles are both very good starters.

I dont think they'd do it for peterson either. great player, but he's got issues. As a jets fan, id much rather have us sit pat and take a RB with the redskins 2nd rounder. There will be several quality players available at that spot. Id even consider a smaller trade up to get into Lynch teritory.

Coles, Vilma and the 26? Laughable. Even more so when recent reports have the Jets ready to cut McCariens if they can't get a pick for him. I do think the Jets are shopping Vilma, simply because it's been out there so much. Vilma says he hasn't heard a thing, and woukld be surprised if he were to get traded, but still, where there is smoke there is usually fire.

Mangini is absolutely married to the 3-4. He says differently, but this isn't even a near hybrid D, it's pure 3-4 on every down. Yes, Vilma is a very good, near elite MLB in the 4-3, but he is average at best on the inside in the 3-4. He can read plays and go sideline to sideline, but he has big trouble shedding blocks.

I could see Coles and Vilma for the Detroit pick though. That would allow the Jets to take one of that large group of promising second tier of WR's in the darft. Coles did a lot of beitching about Mangini's camp and practices, and even though Mangini has praised Coles publically, often, I'm sure he doesn't like the yapping. I could also see the Jets trading Coles, Vilma and their second for a couple of those fifth round picks the Lions have and 1.2.

I think the Jets are in love with Peterson. But.... what happens IF Oakland cuts Jordan and takes Peterson instead?

Clayton supposedly just told Tom Kowalski that this is BS

Sunday, March 04, 2007 Vilma trade? John Clayton says he never mentioned itThere is all kinds of talk, blogs and posts out there about ESPN's John Clayton supposedly mentioning a possible trade between the Lions and Jets that would involve Detroit's second overall pick for linebacker Jonathan Vilma and assorted draft picks."What? I never said a word about it. I've never mentioned Jonathan Vilma,'' Clayton said moments ago.Ah, Internet rumors. At least this one got shot down before it grew into a monster.

LOL.... I though Clayton was hanging with PacMan there for a day or so... Coles, Vilma and 1.26?

Users who are viewing this thread