What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (3 Viewers)

Planning a couple days in NYC at the end of March with the wife. I have been there only once, about 15 years ago with a school group. Saw the basics. My wife has never been there. We want to see a show, maybe two, and take in some of the typical touristy things to do. I am having a hard time deciding where to stay. There must be 500 hotels in Manhattan! Anyway...thinking the Midtown area would be best for proximity to theaters and such, correct? I don't mind spending a couple of bucks on a decent place to stay, but don't really need to break the bank on one of the top of the line Waldorf level type places. Any good hotel recommendations out there? Or are they all solid choices...seem like most are 4 star places.

My wife wants to eat at Peter Luger's. Still a thing? How impossible is it to get in there? Their web site doesn't seem to take reservations this far in advance, so I will check back. But when researching the plethora of restaurants, I never see it listed as one of the iconic musts. I keep seeing Keen's pop up on the list. Is that a better experience than Peter Luger?

Also, do I have any chance of running in to Neil DeGrasse Tyson? Does he hang out at the Museum of Natural History?

Planning a couple days in NYC at the end of March with the wife. I have been there only once, about 15 years ago with a school group. Saw the basics. My wife has never been there. We want to see a show, maybe two, and take in some of the typical touristy things to do. I am having a hard time deciding where to stay. There must be 500 hotels in Manhattan! Anyway...thinking the Midtown area would be best for proximity to theaters and such, correct? I don't mind spending a couple of bucks on a decent place to stay, but don't really need to break the bank on one of the top of the line Waldorf level type places. Any good hotel recommendations out there? Or are they all solid choices...seem like most are 4 star places.

My wife wants to eat at Peter Luger's. Still a thing? How impossible is it to get in there? Their web site doesn't seem to take reservations this far in advance, so I will check back. But when researching the plethora of restaurants, I never see it listed as one of the iconic musts. I keep seeing Keen's pop up on the list. Is that a better experience than Peter Luger?

Also, do I have any chance of running in to Neil DeGrasse Tyson? Does he hang out at the Museum of Natural History?

I'm not a mid-town fan, but it's close to stuff so I get it.

People here say Peter Lugers has fallen off.. im not a red meat eater any more so have no idea. Iirc, there are spots in Manhattan considered preferable to the trip to Lugers in Brooklyn.

And if you're up to travelling there for dinner, you might be up for staying somewhere downtown (Soho to union sq) that's more in the middle of NYCer life than touristy, commercial times square mid town. Can still easily hop around to Bwy theaters, museums, wall st etc.

People here say Peter Lugers has fallen off.. im not a red meat eater any more so have no idea. Iirc, there are spots in Manhattan considered preferable to the trip to Lugers in Brooklyn.

And if you're up to travelling there for dinner, you might be up for staying somewhere downtown (Soho to union sq) that's more in the middle of NYCer life than touristy, commercial times square mid town. Can still easily hop around to Bwy theaters, museums, wall st etc.
Yes. Stay Downtown.

I would want to stay in the West Village, Soho. Let's say 14th St and below. Plenty of hotels to choose from, and you can get everywhere from downtown.

When you stay in Midtown, you are close to some stuff, yeah. But if you want to just pop out for breakfast or a drink, everything is super corporate or touristy.

The proximity to the theater thing is mystifying to me. Walking distance from the theatre is NOT a good enough reason to stay in Midtown. It's a 20 dollar cab ride from every hotel.

I wake up and walk outside of my hotel, I wanna be looking at Bleecker St, not 42nd St.

Cosign with Floppo's sentiments on midtown. Most locals work there and gtfo after. Lots of tourists, etc. Definitely recommend the Union Sq/Soho area as you'll get a feel for the "real" NYC and be in the heart. You'll be surrounded by tons of great restaurants, shopping, subways and fun neighborhoods to walk around/explore. The Standard in Cooper Sq is a great location and pretty good value. If you want to throw down some money, The Mercer or Bowery Hotel are great choices.

Lugers is decent but I think you go there more for the lore. They have a damn good burger if you go for lunch which is probably easier to get a table. Striphouse is my favorite steakhouse in NYC. Love the atmosphere, service and some amazing steaks: https://www.striphouse.com/location/striphouse-downtown/

Cosign with Floppo's sentiments on midtown. Most locals work there and gtfo after. Lots of tourists, etc. Definitely recommend the Union Sq/Soho area as you'll get a feel for the "real" NYC and be in the heart. You'll be surrounded by tons of great restaurants, shopping, subways and fun neighborhoods to walk around/explore. The Standard in Cooper Sq is a great location and pretty good value. If you want to throw down some money, The Mercer or Bowery Hotel are great choices.

Lugers is decent but I think you go there more for the lore. They have a damn good burger if you go for lunch which is probably easier to get a table. Striphouse is my favorite steakhouse in NYC. Love the atmosphere, service and some amazing steaks: https://www.striphouse.com/location/striphouse-downtown/
Peter Luger is like the old west saloon in Vacation where the servers insult you and pretend to kill you and you’re supposed to be having fun. Expensive too. Pretty good steak though.

NEW YORK -- Emergency responders are on the scene of a subway derailment in Brooklyn.
It happened shortly after noon Tuesday on the F train line at the West 8th Street station in Coney Island, the MTA said.
There's no word yet of any injuries.
Video from the scene shows trains upright on the tracks and firefighters on the platform.
F trains are delayed in both directions.
The derailment comes less than a week after a collision on the 1 line caused a derailment and injured dozens.

hi brohans if a guy was going to be in newark and maybe wanted to get into the city with a rental car how much of a hassle is it and if that same brohan was a total outsider and knew nothing about the city where would be one cool place to go like rockerfeller center or something like that or what take that to the bank bromigos

hi brohans if a guy was going to be in newark and maybe wanted to get into the city with a rental car how much of a hassle is it and if that same brohan was a total outsider and knew nothing about the city where would be one cool place to go like rockerfeller center or something like that or what take that to the bank bromigos
Take the train... Don't bother with a car.

Rock center is cool, 3specialky now with the tree up. plus 5th Ave with window decorations in the stores.

I mean, if you haven't been... You may as well see times square. You can walk between the two.

Rock center is cool, 3specialky now with the tree up. plus 5th Ave with window decorations in the stores.

I mean, if you haven't been... You may as well see times square. You can walk between the two.
Yes.

For a single day, walking around? Take the train.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC

See about getting a ticket in advance to" top of the rock".

Yes.

For a single day, walking around? Take the train.

Yep, if you want to walk around, leave the car at the bank and take the train. Parking is a major PIA and can be very expensive plus the traffic is a monster. I'm not even sure what the tolls are nowadays but that alone would make me want to take the train.

If you just want to drive around the island and see stuff from your car, then I guess you could drive in but I warn you, it won't be fun :drive:

There is both the path and NJ transit so you can actually take train from Newark to a few different places.

• Thanks
Had to fly into JFK last night for a family emergency. Almost made it, the plane had landing gear down and was like 100 feet from touchdown, wobbly as hell from all the wind, before shooting back up. They made another attempt but didn't go down as far before bailing and diverting to Philly. Drove in this morning. Scary flight!

Had to fly into JFK last night for a family emergency. Almost made it, the plane had landing gear down and was like 100 feet from touchdown, wobbly as hell from all the wind, before shooting back up. They made another attempt but didn't go down as far before bailing and diverting to Philly. Drove in this morning. Scary flight!
Holy crap!

Glad youre ok... Scary about the flight.

Hope the family emergency is easily/happily resolved

Holy crap!

Glad youre ok... Scary about the flight.

Hope the family emergency is easily/happily resolved
Thanks! Yeah, it was nuts.

Not likely on the last one though but I appreciate it.

@SWC You were inquiring about taking your car into the city from Newark — don’t. I was in similar situations a few times and I did the following:

- Drive into Newark airport & leave your car in one of the enclosed long term parking lots — it will be safe.

- Take the airport Air Train towards the city, get out & walk to the train line going into the city. The total numbers of stops into Penn Station is 3 — it doesn’t get any shorter than that.

- From Penn Station you easily access whatever parts of the city you want since it’s a (if not THE) central subway hub.

thanks for all the information ends up we are actually staying in jersey city how bad would an uber be from there to rockerfeller plaza on saturday night again brohans i know nothing about new york and this will be my first time there in about 25 years and second time ever take that to the bank

thanks for all the information ends up we are actually staying in jersey city how bad would an uber be from there to rockerfeller plaza on saturday night again brohans i know nothing about new york and this will be my first time there in about 25 years and second time ever take that to the bank

Maybe an hour-ish, $60-ish. Give yourself 90 minutes, because it is among the crappiest drives in NYC, traffic the whole way, tunnel and midtown.

I would: ferry to midtown, walk down 42nd St, checking out Times Square, bang a left on 6th Ave, and walk up to Rockefeller Center. Maybe 30 minute walk?

• Thanks

Maybe an hour-ish, $60-ish. Give yourself 90 minutes, because it is among the crappiest drives in NYC, traffic the whole way, tunnel and midtown.

I would: ferry to midtown, walk down 42nd St, checking out Times Square, bang a left on 6th Ave, and walk up to Rockefeller Center. Maybe 30 minute walk?
Or stick with the PATH train to head in.

But I like the ferry idea just for viewing purposes. From 42nd until about 8th Ave is not the nicest walk, bit I still like the idea.

Bottom line, no reason to Uber in. You could Uber out.

• Thanks
it was about 55 bucks a way to uber manuber to rockafellla plaza and it was awesome and they still had the tree up and all that jazz and then we saw the empire state building and the arch at washington park and the flat iron and then went home for like 45 bucks because we had walked so much closer to the holland tunnel today we went to ellis island and the ferry landing for statue of liberty but no ferries from the joisey side anyhow it was fun and now back to the cold of scanny take that to the bank brohans

Holy hell Top of the Rock tickets are expensive.
How much?

I told my son he had tickets with friends for Xmas to do "the beam" there... But didn't really look at prices, which I know include regular admission.

Eta... we/He didn't know his schedule, so I didn't actually buy him tickets, just have him the opportunity to do so when he wanted.

How much?

I told my son he had tickets with friends for Xmas to do "the beam" there... But didn't really look at prices, which I know include regular admission.

Eta... we/He didn't know his schedule, so I didn't actually buy him tickets, just have him the opportunity to do so when he wanted.
$40-55 depending on the time of day ($85 if you want express that allows you to come at any time). High end around 4-8pm. The Beam is a $25 add on.

I was expecting something around $25. I did it long ago, and I guess it is something to experience, but seems pretty overpriced for what it is. One World Observatory is similarly priced.

How much?

$40-55 depending on the time of day ($85 if you want express that allows you to come at any time). High end around 4-8pm. The Beam is a $25 add on.

I was expecting something around $25. I did it long ago, and I guess it is something to experience, but seems pretty overpriced for what it is. One World Observatory is similarly priced.

The experience and pictures I've seen at the One Vanderbilt building seems worth it and similarly priced:

How much?

:ptts:

Question for those in the know... if i book a Brooklyn hotel for a few days next week its $120-140/night. If i book in advance for May it is like double. Any idea why? I'm a frugal traveler who just needs a place to sleep and park. TIA

Question for those in the know... if i book a Brooklyn hotel for a few days next week its $120-140/night. If i book in advance for May it is like double. Any idea why? I'm a frugal traveler who just needs a place to sleep and park. TIA
A huge part of that is simply time of year & how in-demand hotel rooms are/will be.

I would guess it's just because of the time of year. May is a popular time to visit NY. February, not so much.

Yep, May is probably the best month to visit NYC imo. Just after the terrible cold and before the miserable summer. People are still in town and the energy is second to none.

I would guess it's just because of the time of year. May is a popular time to visit NY. February, not so much.

Yep, May is probably the best month to visit NYC imo. Just after the terrible cold and before the miserable summer. People are still in town and the energy is second to none.
Yeah. I think early October is the best time... The temps and quality of the light. Bit may is awesome too... Especially seeing skin for the first time in months.

Yeah. I think early October is the best time... The temps and quality of the light. Bit may is awesome too... Especially seeing skin for the first time in months.

You're not wrong. I was debating in my head which was better but I took May. The upbeat energy with good weather/summer approaching and of course the scantly cladded wimmenz won out. The thought of the brutal winter just ahead always knocked Fall down a notch when I lived there but I suppose that's not a factor if you're just visiting.

Subway question... Can you use your credit card to charge subway rides without creating an OMNY account? I know you can set up an OMNY account and add payment methods to it. But if I just showed up at a subway station without an account could I swipe my credit card as payment for the ride?

Subway question... Can you use your credit card to charge subway rides without creating an OMNY account? I know you can set up an OMNY account and add payment methods to it. But if I just showed up at a subway station without an account could I swipe my credit card as payment for the ride?
Pretty sure you just tap any chipped credit card or your phone. I don't remember if I ever even set up an omny account... And I know I didn't link all my CCs to it.

@Galileo

You used the word "swipe"... Just wanted to make sure- these are all "tap" not swipe. You need the chip or your phone.

Eta... If you need to insert or swipe your CC, it won't work at the turn style.

Yes or use your a digital wallet. Don't need your card

I’m there every other week for work. Tap the credit card. Much easier than digital wallets etc.

Its 2024 and I know I should know... But I have no idea what a digital wallet is. Is it Aka cell phone?
Yes, like Apple Wallet on an iPhone. You can link forms of payment, like credit cards or debit cards, and then use the phone rather than a physical card for purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread