What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL might start suspending over flagrant hits that are currently illeg (1 Viewer)

I don't think defenders should be responsible for what happens after the intial contact.... how can they be expected to control what happens after two players collide considering how fast they are moving? Also, there appears to be no potential for review to see if the offensive player ducked, or changed his pad level, or however you want to define it.I think it's too tall a task to ask defenders to "never" make contact with an opposing players helmet given all the variables involved in making a tackle.
Are some people in agreement with the NFL that "all" helment-to-helment contact should be flagged and/or fined and/or suspended... regardless of where initial contact was made?
absolutely NOT

with this bullcrap and the blatant allowance of WR's to commit PI continually to help the offense i'm getting sick of the NFL.

i used to like NFL much more than college football. the margin is closing, and college is prolly overtaking NFL. if they go to a playoff in college...........

People act like football can't be played without these dangerous hits when in reality we are talking about maybe a dozen or so plays throughout an entire season. There are PLENTY of big hits delivered each and every week that fall within the rules.
Since this "defenseless" WR rule came about every big hit gets a flag. There is not one place you can hit a guy now except his legs when he's in the process of making a catch. If you hit him with your shoulder in his torso it's a flag. If you execute a proper form tackle with your facemask square in his numbers, wrap, and carry it through to the turf it's a flag. Any time you blow a guy up if he doesn't have the ball secure and has made a football move it's flag. Did you see the hit Jim Leonard put on Brandon Lloyd? He didn't get a fine but he sure did get 15 yards on a perfectly executed tackle breaking up a pass. I think the suits involved will not be satisfied until we have a replica of the Pro Bowl during regular season games.
This is simply not true. Not even close. There are plenty of big hits where guys don't get flags. The Ray Lewis hit on Keller that I keep bringing up is one clear example. I also can't remember any "form tackle with the facemask square in the NUMBERS that drew a flag." The only time I see that called is when its on a QB and he's driven to the turf.I'll give you that some of the flags that are thrown on big hits are questionable, just like any subjective call. But to say that about every big hit gets a flag is simply inaccurate.
It happens more times than not these days which is what I'm getting at. It's a huge gray area and it takes away from how the game is played.Here's an example of your perfect form tackle with a flag this past weekend, even Josh McDaniel disagreed with the call:

http://www.thejetsblog.com/2010/10/19/the-...ards-hit-dirty/

Jets safety Jim Leonhard was flagged 15 yards for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Brandon Lloyd in a 24-20 win over the Broncos. Denver coach Josh McDaniels called it an example of how hits often look vicious on TV, but aren’t really what they appear.
I didn't see the Leonard hit so I will wait to comment on that. I still have not seen a call (other than the QB situation I mentioned) where a guy got a flag for having his head up and hitting someone in the numbers. I would love someone to provide a link to a video of any such instance.Another important factor here though is that just as I suggested the league should send videos to players on what is/isn't legal they ALSO must do a better job from an officiating standpoint so that what is called is clear and consistent. They have some work to do in that regard so that it is not as much of a gray area.

Like every fan, there are calls that I scream at that I don't agree with. London Fletcher got called for a late hit early this season when the runner wasn't even down yet. Absolutely horrible call. So yeah, I will conceded that this needs to be officiated better as well but that doesnt take away from the fact that I think the league is going in the right direction with these types of hits.

Dunta Robinson's hit on Jackson and James Harrison's hit on Massaquoi both violated the same rule:

h) If a receiver has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself, a defensive player is prohibited from launching (springing forward and upward) into him in a way that causes the defensive player's helmet, facemask, shoulder, or forearm to forcibly strike the receiver's head or neck area --even if the initial contact of the defender's helmet, facemask, shoulder, or forearm is lower than the receiver's neck.What I think happened is that in Robinson's case, he initially struck Jackson's chest with his shoulder and then slid up and struck Jackson's "neck area."

Harrison's hit on Massaquoi looked a lot dirtier. He appeared to launch his forearms and helmet at Massaquoi's head.
This is a pretty clear definition for the crowd that keeps saying "what is a defensive player suppose to do."A lot of people in this thread and talking heads/former defensive players are making a big stink out of this but it's really not that comlicated. Defenders can essentially do one of three things:

1) Continue to make these kinds of hits and get fined/suspended until they are put out of the league.

2) Voluntarily stop playing like Harrison is blowing smoke about.

3) Get better at their technique and deliver big hits that are just as effective but less dangerous to themselves and their opponents (Agreed with an earlier point that the league should send out a video highlighting the differences)

People act like football can't be played without these dangerous hits when in reality we are talking about maybe a dozen or so plays throughout an entire season. There are PLENTY of big hits delivered each and every week that fall within the rules.

IMO it's a sad commentary that so many people place the priority on seeing a big hit (even though these won't be reduced anywhere near the level that people are suggesting) over the short and long term health of human beings.

As medical professionals learn more about the effects of concussions and brain trauma it's VERY clear that these things need to be taken seriously. Yes, the NFL is a violent game, yes injuries are inevitable, and yes players assume a certain amount of risk every time they step on the field. But that doesn't mean that measures shouldnt be taken to reduce some of those risks, especially when it involves serious head/neck injuries that leave a person's brain bouncing around in their head and could lead to paralysis.

The type of hits the NFL is trying to eliminate are unncessary and the excuse that "it's football" doesnt hold water because you can still have football with the 99.9% of plays that happen every week. Of course there will still be plenty of injuries on those plays as well and some have mentioned linemen and fullbacks who get their heads/necks rammed on almost every play. That's a legitimate argument but thats part of the risks of playing football and that damage is done gradually over time. The risk that the NFL is, and should be, trying to reduce is the one time hit that can result in instant life altering injuries.

If you don't want to watch football without these types of plays then don't but the NFL is taking a step that most reasonable people should agree with and is in the best interest of everyone involved.
100% agreed.That said I feel strongly that the offensive players actions absolutely need to be factored into analyzing these hits retrospectively for the purpose of determining punishments.

Folks have called Harrison every name in the book but the fact is Harrison intended to hit Mass in the midsection. Mass drops his level and heads collide. Unless folks actually believe Harrison is super human and can somehow anticipate and adjust to Mass's reactions in that split second it is clearly inadvertent that helmets collide

There has to be differentiation between that and what Meriweather did for this new disipline policy to make sense.

The outcome and mechanics of every collision cannot be placed purely on the defensive player.
Agreed as well. I think there are some situations that the offensive players movement leads to hits being higher than the defender intended. And that should be taken into consideration, especially before issuing any fines or suspensions.

Its a work in progress. There is room for improvement here on the way it's coached, the technique players use, and the way it's officiated and further disciplined.

But again, I agree with the overall direction the league is going with this in terms of protecting players.

Also QBs and Coaches putting their tiny WR in a situation to get rocked should be held accountable. They should really be the ones protecting their players.

Also QBs and Coaches putting their tiny WR in a situation to get rocked should be held accountable. They should really be the ones protecting their players.
I disagree. The rules state you have to let the receiver catch and then defend himself before blindsiding him. It is not the coaches fault that defensive players are breaking the rules.

If refs start ejecting people then WRs are going to start flopping on the ground trying to make hits look even worse to get a defender ejected, like kickers do when a defender gets near them, to draw a roughing call.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steelers' Harrison takes day off, considers retiring

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin met with linebacker James Harrison today and decided to excuse him for the rest of the work day, a team spokesman said this morning.

Harrison said in some radio interviews that he would rather retire than be hamstrung by the kinds of rules that the NFL charged he violated with a hit Sunday on Cleveland Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi. The NFL fined Harrison $75,000 on Tuesday for that hit.

"How can I continue to play this game the way that I've been taught to play this game since I was 10 years old?" Harrison said on Sirius XM Radio this morning. "And now you're telling me that everything that they've taught me from that time on, for the last 20-plus years, is not the way you're supposed to play the game anymore. If that's the case I can't play by those rules. You're handicapping me."

Bill Parise, Harrison's agent, confirmed that the linebacker is contemplating retirement, which is why he met with Tomlin this morning.

"That's exactly true,'' Parise said. "He met with the coach and left for today. He's in the process of contemplating is it possible to play football under these new rules . . . 'if I go to work and tackle somebody and get a fine.'"

Parise said there is "no fighting, no arguing," just discussions. He said Harrison has been talking with his coaches, the Steelers, his mother and the agent.

Harrison signed a six-year, $51.2 million contract in April 2009 that included a reported $20 million in bonuses. If Harrison would retire before the contract expires, the Steelers could demand he pay back some of those bonuses.

A source had told the Post-Gazette that Harrison called the Steelers Tuesay and told them he would not be coming to work today. However, he did report to their facility on the city's South Side to meet with Tomlin.

The Steelers said Tomlin would be available after practice today to discuss the situation.

------------------------------

While I think he is overdramatizing things here, he does have a point. A point most defensive players are now sharing.

Very valid point. I don't know how you hold them accountable though???
Media and NFL need to stop putting it all on the Defense and start talking about how Coaches are having their receivers run these plays.If the viewpoint keeps showing the defense at fault the NFL will keep adding protective rules until the league is playing 2 hand touch.

Media and NFL need to stop putting it all on the Defense and start talking about how Coaches are having their receivers run these plays.If the viewpoint keeps showing the defense at fault the NFL will keep adding protective rules until the league is playing 2 hand touch.
The rules state you have to let the receiver catch and then defend himself before hitting him in the head/neck area. It is not the coaches fault that defensive players are breaking the rules.

Wasn't ther a quote from Harrison about "not intending to injure players, only to hurt them?"

Shouldn't his intent only to be to tackle them or to prevent a catch? When does the intent to hurt a player become ok?

And as for Sclhereth's Rant , this morning, I was all for it until he turned it into a political issue revolving around his own personal issues and injuries and almost seemed to be cheering the players on to a lock out.

benm3218 said:
The rules state you have to let the receiver catch and then defend himself before hitting him in the head/neck area. It is not the coaches fault that defensive players are breaking the rules.
That is such an offensive biased rule right there but whatever, its done. Defenses will be at a disadvantage because receivers can keep pushing the edge and have no fear going down the middle. Most of them are already taller, jump higher and can catch better.Wonder why the NFL is so pass heavy? It because Def players are pulling up constantly instead of going full speed. Gotta pull up if the QB gets rid of the ball, gotta pull up if the WR don't catch the ball....

benm3218 said:
That is such an offensive biased rule right there but whatever, its done. Defenses will be at a disadvantage because receivers can keep pushing the edge and have no fear going down the middle. Most of them are already taller, jump higher and can catch better.
So what? That has nothing to do with your ill formed argument that coaches should get fines for calling routes in the middle on small receivers.

The coaches are sending their players on legal plays where their receivers SHOULD NOT be getting speared while defenseless. And you think coaches should get the blame instead of the players breaking the rules??? Now who is being illogical and biased?

benm3218 said:
That is such an offensive biased rule right there but whatever, its done. Defenses will be at a disadvantage because receivers can keep pushing the edge and have no fear going down the middle. Most of them are already taller, jump higher and can catch better.Wonder why the NFL is so pass heavy? It because Def players are pulling up constantly instead of going full speed. Gotta pull up if the QB gets rid of the ball, gotta pull up if the WR don't catch the ball....
Are you really James Harrison in hiding? Because this whining sounds really silly. The rules are the rules. That rule has been there for awhile. Defenders shouldn't break the rules. It is not the coaches fault that other people break the rules.

benm3218 said:
That is such an offensive biased rule right there but whatever, its done. Defenses will be at a disadvantage because receivers can keep pushing the edge and have no fear going down the middle. Most of them are already taller, jump higher and can catch better.
So what? That has nothing to do with your ill formed argument that coaches should get fines for calling routes in the middle on small receivers.

The coaches are sending their players on legal plays where their receivers SHOULD NOT be getting speared while defenseless. And you think coaches should get the blame instead of the players breaking the rules??? Now who is being illogical and biased?
Media and NFL need to stop putting it all on the Defense and start talking about how Coaches are having their receivers run these plays.

If the viewpoint keeps showing the defense at fault the NFL will keep adding protective rules until the league is playing 2 hand touch.
I didn't say anything about fining coaches

Are you really James Harrison in hiding? Because this whining sounds really silly. The rules are the rules. That rule has been there for awhile. Defenders shouldn't break the rules. It is not the coaches fault that other people break the rules.
:thumbup: Damn I'm busted.No just a fan seeing where this league is heading.

benm3218 said:

Media and NFL need to stop putting it all on the Defense and start talking about how Coaches are having their receivers run these plays.

If the viewpoint keeps showing the defense at fault the NFL will keep adding protective rules until the league is playing 2 hand touch.
I didn't say anything about fining coaches
I quoted you above. How would you "hold them accountable" then sir?

I get the Football is a physical sport. Why does it have to be a violent sport?

THe players themselves are causing more physical damage to each other than is necessary to play the game. YOu would think the players would look around at some of the disabled former players and think twice before trying to inflict damage for the sake of the game.

In 20 years they will regret it, why not start thinking about it now.

cya james, take your ball and go home

you won't, you are acting like a crybaby. You tried to look like a toughguy by saying you try to hurt people when you know the league is in a tough spot, you practically dared them to do anything, and now you are crying like a baby and making hollow threats to quit because they did.

benm3218 said:
footballnerd said:
VaTerp said:
footballnerd said:
I agree with VATerp that it's a good thing the league is moving the direction that it is. I also agree that they are doing it in an imperfect manner.That said though as a defender, now knowing that if I go high and even inadvertently hit a receiver above the chest, that I will get suspended I am absolutely going to err on the side of hitting him too low.

In a perfect world the defender could hit the receiver with perfect technique in the midsection every time, but given the fact the game is too fast for perfection the defense now has no choice but to err in hitting lower rather than higher.

If Robinson had dropped down and cut Jackson's knees is that still going to be called dirty given the direction things are moving? Because that is going to be the absolute result of the newly enforced policy.

Is it a better thing for Jackson to tear a ligament or bust his femur than get concussed? I guess so. That is really the choice the league is making here.

I'm fine with that choice, but let's be willing to redefine what we consider "dirty" as fans.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5706748

The Pittsburgh Steelers excused James Harrison from practice Wednesday as the Pro Bowl linebacker contemplated retirement, according to his agent.

Harrison's agent Bill Parise said Wednesday his client is "very serious" about retiring after getting fined $75,000 for a hit that knocked Mohamed Massaquoi out of the Steelers' win over the Cleveland Browns. Harrison met Wednesday with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, who excused his linebacker from the Steelers preparations for Sunday's game against the Dolphins.

"We wouldn't joke about this," Parise said. "This is a very serious issue. James is very concerned about how to play football. If James is going to be fined $75,000 for making a legal tackle, then how do you go play football? It's quite frustrating to James, to Coach Tomlin, to me, to everybody."

Asked how real these retirement threats were, Parise said, "We're working very hard to make sure that we make good decisions."

Tomlin said he expects Harrison to return to practice on Thursday.

"We had a meeting this morning, he and I did. It was a very productive one," Tomlin said in a conference call with Miami reporters. "I thought part of being productive and moving forward was excusing him for today and coming back starting new tomorrow."

Asked if Harrison would return to the Steelers on Thursday or even at all this week, Parise said, "I sure hope so."

Harrison said Tuesday on Fox Sports Radio's "Into The Night with Tony Bruno" that he might consider retirement.

"I'm going to sit down and have a serious conversation with my coach tomorrow and see if I can actually play by NFL rules and still be effective," Harrison told guest host Judy McDonald. "If not, I may have to give up playing football."

Harrison was not penalized on the plays that resulted in Massaquoi and Josh Cribbs leaving the game with concussions.

The hit on Cribbs was deemed a legal hit because Cribbs, running out of the wildcat formation, was a runner in possession of the ball. Harrison's head-first hit of Massaquoi during a pass attempt drew the fine.

"I really truly hope it's something that can be done," said Harrison, a three-time Pro Bowl selection who was named The Associated Press' defensive player of the year in 2008. "But the way that things were being explained to me today and the reasoning for it, I don't feel I can continue to play and be effective and, like I say, not have to worry about injuring someone else or risking injury to myself."

Massaquoi's agent, Brian Ayrault, didn't think the league was tough enough on Harrison.

"Harrison has made $20 million over the past three years, and they only fined him $75,000?" he said. "To me, that's not going to be a deterrent. The Browns are probably going to be without a starter this week. I don't think that fine is a deterrent or fair to competitive balance.

"The punishment did not fit the crime."

Copeman said:
Steelers' Harrison takes day off, considers retiring

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin met with linebacker James Harrison today and decided to excuse him for the rest of the work day, a team spokesman said this morning.

Harrison said in some radio interviews that he would rather retire than be hamstrung by the kinds of rules that the NFL charged he violated with a hit Sunday on Cleveland Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi. The NFL fined Harrison $75,000 on Tuesday for that hit.

"How can I continue to play this game the way that I've been taught to play this game since I was 10 years old?" Harrison said on Sirius XM Radio this morning. "And now you're telling me that everything that they've taught me from that time on, for the last 20-plus years, is not the way you're supposed to play the game anymore. If that's the case I can't play by those rules. You're handicapping me."

Bill Parise, Harrison's agent, confirmed that the linebacker is contemplating retirement, which is why he met with Tomlin this morning.

"That's exactly true,'' Parise said. "He met with the coach and left for today. He's in the process of contemplating is it possible to play football under these new rules . . . 'if I go to work and tackle somebody and get a fine.'"

Parise said there is "no fighting, no arguing," just discussions. He said Harrison has been talking with his coaches, the Steelers, his mother and the agent.

Harrison signed a six-year, $51.2 million contract in April 2009 that included a reported $20 million in bonuses. If Harrison would retire before the contract expires, the Steelers could demand he pay back some of those bonuses.

A source had told the Post-Gazette that Harrison called the Steelers Tuesay and told them he would not be coming to work today. However, he did report to their facility on the city's South Side to meet with Tomlin.

The Steelers said Tomlin would be available after practice today to discuss the situation.

------------------------------

While I think he is overdramatizing things here, he does have a point. A point most defensive players are now sharing.
I say good riddance. Talk about a cry baby... "wah, you're changing the rules on me and now I can't hurt people but have to actually tackle... I quit" Pansy.

benm3218 said:
footballnerd said:
VaTerp said:
footballnerd said:
I agree with VATerp that it's a good thing the league is moving the direction that it is. I also agree that they are doing it in an imperfect manner.That said though as a defender, now knowing that if I go high and even inadvertently hit a receiver above the chest, that I will get suspended I am absolutely going to err on the side of hitting him too low.

In a perfect world the defender could hit the receiver with perfect technique in the midsection every time, but given the fact the game is too fast for perfection the defense now has no choice but to err in hitting lower rather than higher.

If Robinson had dropped down and cut Jackson's knees is that still going to be called dirty given the direction things are moving? Because that is going to be the absolute result of the newly enforced policy.

Is it a better thing for Jackson to tear a ligament or bust his femur than get concussed? I guess so. That is really the choice the league is making here.

I'm fine with that choice, but let's be willing to redefine what we consider "dirty" as fans.
Guys get hit in the legs all the time. When you are running or making a play then its usually not a injury. What they are trying to stop is the defenseless hits on unsuspecting players. I see nothing wrong with this.

After each and every tackle he makes, Harrison should give the player he tackled a "Get Well Soon Card".

Guys get hit in the legs all the time. When you are running or making a play then its usually not a injury. What they are trying to stop is the defenseless hits on unsuspecting players. I see nothing wrong with this.
So you'd have been good if Robinson dropped down and put his shoulder into Jackson's knees?

He's one of the league's dirtiest players...always has been. And now he's gonna pout cause they've singled him out. :lmao: :excited:

I hope he makes good on his threat...see ya :D :bye:

After each and every tackle he makes, Harrison should give the player he tackled a "Get Well Soon Card".
That would be funnier if Harrison wasn't having an emotional breakdown over having to learn how to play fair. It might be more accurate for the unconscious players to send flowers to Harrison because he apparently is very fragile. He couldn't even practice today he's so devastated, and he might have to quit football altogether. I wouldn't be praising him for his strength after all that.

That would be funnier if Harrison wasn't having an emotional breakdown over having to learn how to play fair. It might be more accurate for the unconscious players to send flowers to Harrison because he apparently is very fragile. He couldn't even practice today he's so devastated, and he might have to quit football altogether. I wouldn't be praising him for his strength after all that.
Maybe he can give them a little hug too. Make sure they're ok.

So you'd have been good if Robinson dropped down and put his shoulder into Jackson's knees?
Of course not, he'd still have been breaking the rules and hitting a defenseless player. You realize there is a medium ground here between helmet and knees...Guys try tackle by grabbing legs all the time. But, if you speared a guys knees while he was defenseless that would be just as wrong. It is the fact that he was making the catch the catch and defenseless.

Maybe he can give them a little hug too. Make sure they're ok.
He is quitting football... no way he can hug them I guess.

:thumbup: He's a pansy. Darwin's law... The strong survive change and Harrison is saying he's not strong enough to survive this change. Adios pansy.

Of course not, he'd still have been breaking the rules and hitting a defenseless player. You realize there is a medium ground here between helmet and knees...Guys try tackle by grabbing legs all the time. But, if you speared a guys knees while he was defenseless that would be just as wrong. It is the fact that he was making the catch the catch and defenseless.
Ahh, I get your point now.Defenders should not be able to tackle defenseless receivers in any way. Is that what you are saying?I kinda thought the defenseless receiver rule only disallowed deliberate shots to the head/neck area. Am I wrong?

Ahh, I get your point now.

Defenders should not be able to tackle defenseless receivers in any way. Is that what you are saying?
Ummmmm did you even read his post ?

Of course not, he'd still have been breaking the rules and hitting a defenseless player.

You realize there is a medium ground here between helmet and knees...Guys try tackle by grabbing legs all the time. But, if you speared a guys knees while he was defenseless that would be just as wrong. It is the fact that he was making the catch the catch and defenseless.

Defenders should not be able to tackle defenseless receivers in any way. Is that what you are saying?
Did you?

Pretty obvious that from years of watching Steeler football he doesn't understand you can tackle someone without cheap shots at knees or using the helmet to spear.

Why does the discussion have to go that route?

I'm saying a natural result of the new enforcement policy will be a lowering of the defender's target zone.

That's going to result in more shots to the legs and knees. Am I off base?

My question was is that a good thing or a bad thing and as fans are we cool with the fact that we will likely see an increase in knee injuries?

I got the impression the guy thought it was honestly against the rules to hit a receiver in a defenseless position in any manner at all.

I stand by what I said, but may have worded it in a way that could be misunderstood. Reworded:

Of course not, he'd still have been breaking the rules and spearing a defenseless player. You realize there is a medium ground here between helmet and knees...

Guys try tackle by grabbing legs all the time. But, if you speared a guys knees while he was defenseless that would be just as wrong. It is the fact that he was making the catch the catch and defenseless.

I didn't write the rules. I am just saying that you can't blast a guy in the head or knees when he is defenseless. I am sure if he had just tackled in the midsection he would not be fined right now. He tried to "blow him up" and that isn't allowed on defenseless receivers.

Why does the discussion have to go that route?

I'm saying a natural result of the new enforcement policy will be a lowering of the defender's target zone.

That's going to result in more shots to the legs and knees. Am I off base?

My question was is that a good thing or a bad thing and as fans are we cool with the fact that we will likely see an increase in knee injuries?

I got the impression the guy thought it was honestly against the rules to hit a receiver in a defenseless position in any manner at all.
Yes, I think so. I am sure that midsection or leg tackles are better than neck injuries and concussions. Plus, the whole point is to be using your arms and TACKLING. NOT launching into players head first to blow them up.

Users who are viewing this thread