What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL to London if Kraft can help it (1 Viewer)

texasbirdfan

Footballguy
Does anyone else of you guys who has watched and played American football all their life feel a little bit creepy with Robert Kraft's declaration smacking a bit of new world order agenda that the fans of London DESERVE an NFL franchise? A handful of novelty games across the pond probably part of the crowd was overseas Americans and a failed NFL Europe and the British deserve a franchise? How many Brits actually played pee wee? high school or college ball? How do they deserve it? I guess its Independence Day coming up for me and believing in our country's unique ideals that Patriot (how ironic?) Kraft boldly states he will help pursue it - but of course, it won't be his team, gets under my skin.

http://www.freep.com/usatoday/article/792877?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|p&usatref=sportsmod

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1241179-why-a-franchise-in-london-would-spell-disaster-for-the-nfl

We absolutely don't deserve one.

The only reason games sell out is because it's once a year. I've been to 3 of the last 4 but no way I could afford 8 games a year.

Also most uk fans I know already have a team.

Isn't spreading America a very American idea?

I'm not sure how you're offended by the spread of the American Empire?

I don't care anything about America vs. the world on this issue, but I do think an overseas team is both unrealistic and foolish.

There's just no way to solve the logistics. It would be a humongous homefield advantage for any team overseas as the other teams have to travel all that way and a huge disadvantage for the international team to play away games. And yeah, there are ways to mitigate that in small amounts (like having US teams play there only after a bye and the international teams playing multiple games in a row in the US), but ultimately those don't mitigate the advantages and disadvantages much at all.

If Kraft is so big on the idea and Europe "deserves" a team so badly, then perhaps he should look into relocating his own team. He would never do that though precisely because it would be a worse situation than what he has now.

You DON'T want to see the AFC Far East and NFC Western Europe Divisions? Seriously, rather than move a team there I liked the idea I heard where every team has one international game if they ever expand to a 17 game schedule. Much better logistics in that scenario.

How much money is enough? How much more do they need to chase? I also think after a couple years the people over there will become less interested and it will not seem like such a good idea then.

I think it's a silly idea, but your "new world order" stuff is pretty funny. :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
not likely to happen BUT if they wanted to make it work here is how they can do it:

3 games in USA followed by 8 games there, bye in week 12, 5 games here.

they have a practice facility somewhere in the US for their 3 & 5 game stretches.

teams that travel to play in UK get a bye week following that game.

kinda dumb, but only feasible way i can think of it. seems like it would be expensive and pointless

I don't care anything about America vs. the world on this issue, but I do think an overseas team is both unrealistic and foolish. There's just no way to solve the logistics. It would be a humongous homefield advantage for any team overseas as the other teams have to travel all that way and a huge disadvantage for the international team to play away games. And yeah, there are ways to mitigate that in small amounts (like having US teams play there only after a bye and the international teams playing multiple games in a row in the US), but ultimately those don't mitigate the advantages and disadvantages much at all.If Kraft is so big on the idea and Europe "deserves" a team so badly, then perhaps he should look into relocating his own team. He would never do that though precisely because it would be a worse situation than what he has now.
Oddly, I think the biggest issue is one I have not heard much on, and that is free agency. Many of these guys never got on a plane before they went to college, and now you expect them to live in another country for an extended period of time. While I think it makes sense for all the major sports to have a Canadian team or two, besides hockey, neither basketball or baseball can keep a player they acquire. Maybe some of that has to do with management, but there are just a lot of people (especially those with kids) that refuse to play in those cities (i.e. mostly this is Toronto which I have heard is just fine).Personally, I would love the opportunity, but I just don't think they will ever be able to field a competitive team based on talent alone.The other issue about advantages and disadvantages, I just don't see. Whatever trip the international team takes to the US (disadvantage) will be cancelled out by having another team trek out to them (advantage). The only real disadvantage in travel I see is if a division (lets say the AFC East) all play one game against the London team...two play at home in the US and two play away in London...those two at home obviously had a very big advantage and that could impact the playoff race greatly.As far as the patriotic stuff goes, I just don't see it. Baseball and basketball are American games, and no one went nuts when they expanded in Canada (though I do believe Toronto, at this point is the only city in CAN that can support one of those teams based on their diverse population and interest).

And I thought baseball in Florida was bad.....this idea :X

Last edited by a moderator:
We will give them an NFL team, but the US needs an EPL team to sweeten the deal. I mean, we do deserve it.

Dey tirrrkk errrr JERRRBBSS!

I lived in UK for a while. They don't want/need a team over there.

As long as no west coast teams ever have to play in London, then ok.

It's already bad enough that they have to travel to the east coast to play what is for them, a mid-morning game.

Users who are viewing this thread