What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL to rule on new drug rule Sunday. Effect on gordon, blackmon, welk (1 Viewer)

Why does this NOT affect Blackmon? Is it just because Gordon/Welker were mentioned and Blackmon wasn't?
Gordon because they would raise the limit for MJ and it could put him under the line

Welker because they would reclassify Amphetamines as a rec drug instead of a PED. PED is mandatory suspension...for rec drug, he'd be a first time offender and not subject to suspension

I honestly had no idea of this possibility if it weren't for the OP so I don't care if he asked who he should pick up/drop. I immediately went to check my leagues and half of them Gordon was already gone. I don't care if the chance is .000000001%, you find someone to drop to pick up Gordon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does this NOT affect Blackmon? Is it just because Gordon/Welker were mentioned and Blackmon wasn't?
I thought that Blackmon would fall more under the personal conduct policy than the drug testing? maybe not? I never fully understood exactly what caused Blackmon's suspension (and I guess I stopped following it).

Long Ball Larry said:
Zyphros said:
I thought that Blackmon would fall more under the personal conduct policy than the drug testing? maybe not? I never fully understood exactly what caused Blackmon's suspension (and I guess I stopped following it).
Well, Blackmon got arrested again, and hasn't been punished yet for that. So I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Clarence Hill@clarencehilljr 2m

Per sources, the new drug policy is very close to getting done and Scandrick's suspension will be lifted immediately whenever it happens.
This is definitely getting me excited and wishing I had pounced on Gordon earlier and got him in all leagues on case something does happen. The whole point of having a FF bench is for upside to me so adding him even for significant FAAB bucks is a no-brainer.

Sunday is a "soft" deadline is what I read, have I missed something regarding Sunday being the day.
I haven't seen anything definitive on how hard of a deadline it is.

But in that suspended players start losing game checks on Sunday, it definitely does have a tangible impact so it ramps up the pressure to be done by then. The NFL could possibly build on that by making it a deadline on their side. How hard they hold to that would be their choice.

If this goes through then I'm pronouncing it 'Green Sunday'.

You guys are making me jealous that you can make any kind of WW moves right now. In FFPC we can't do #### until next week and even then FAAB all but guarantees that someone is going to blow their entire budget if Gordon is available. I want to gamble!

You guys are making me jealous that you can make any kind of WW moves right now. In FFPC we can't do #### until next week and even then FAAB all but guarantees that someone is going to blow their entire budget if Gordon is available. I want to gamble!
hes really available in an ffpc? out of the 10 leagues i wither entered or witnessed he went at the latest in the 13th. even the draft the day before the season started, when his value was lowest, he went in the 10th. back in early august he went in the 9th. hes def worth the whole roll minus a few dollars for kicker and d transactions.

hes really available in an ffpc? out of the 10 leagues i wither entered or witnessed he went at the latest in the 13th. even the draft the day before the season started, when his value was lowest, he went in the 10th. back in early august he went in the 9th. hes def worth the whole roll minus a few dollars for kicker and d transactions.
He's available in my FFPC league. We drafted three days ago.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11471429/nflpa-wants-new-policy-reverse-drug-suspensions

Not a whole lot of new info here, except it's the first time I am seeing something about NFLPA actually "seeking suspension reversals"...
Right now I m thinking they will make a deal and Gordon will play; even though I don't own him anywhere, that's a good thing.
So you're predicting sub-par PPG for an active Gordon. Please elaborate.
Right, I don't think Gordon would be anywhere near where he was last year. His PPG were absurd. However, even if he puts up just 70% of his per game production from last year, we are talking about a high end WR2 and something similar to what Jordy, Desean and Andre did last year.

I think the premise on why it would affect Welker and Gordon but not Blackmon has to do with the league year. Blackmon was suspended during the last league year, while Welker and Gordon during the current league year. The way I read what D. Smith said was that the NFL and NFLPA should've gotten their acts together and come to an agreement at the start of the league year, in which case neither of them would've been facing a suspension for this season.

What I don't understand is why a deal has to get done before Sunday, when the games have already started. The season is underway, so if they don't want to make a change once the games have started, then they've already missed that.

I think the premise on why it would affect Welker and Gordon but not Blackmon has to do with the league year. Blackmon was suspended during the last league year, while Welker and Gordon during the current league year. The way I read what D. Smith said was that the NFL and NFLPA should've gotten their acts together and come to an agreement at the start of the league year, in which case neither of them would've been facing a suspension for this season.

What I don't understand is why a deal has to get done before Sunday, when the games have already started. The season is underway, so if they don't want to make a change once the games have started, then they've already missed that.
I believe the NFLPA would want things resolved by Sunday cause Gordon and Welker could still play and would not be out game checks. For example, if it takes a month to iron things out, Welker would have served his entire suspension by then. There are other guys currently suspended that might get a pass (I believe guys like Bowe and Browner, as examples).

I think the premise on why it would affect Welker and Gordon but not Blackmon has to do with the league year.
I don't think this has anything to do with Blackmon at all. The NFLPA isn't seeking a get out of jail free card for all suspended players. They're negotiating for specific changes to the policy with respect to the classification of amphetamines and the level required to fail a marijuana test. If those changes get through, they would mean that Welker and Gordon would not be suspended under the new rule, and the NFLPA is seeking to have it applied retroactively to players suspended this year.

People affected by new rules:

- Anyone suspended for amphetamines under the PED policy

- Anyone who is suspended for failing a marijuana test that had a level that is under the new, higher, level

We know that Welker fits the first group and Gordon would fit the second. I'm not aware of anyone else, but that doesn't mean there isn't anyone else. I don't know for what drug Lavon Brazil failed his test for, or if it was marijuana, what his level was (mainly because nobody cares enough to dig and find out).

I'm not sure we have total information about all of Blackmon's failed tests, but I'm pretty sure at least one of them was for drinking, and I'm pretty sure it's accepted that he has a drinking problem. He was arrested for marijuana possession, but that was after he was suspended indefinitely.

I don't think there's any information about the NFLPA trying to get the NFL to ease up on alcohol related testing/policies, so I don't think any of this will help Blackmon.

So do you drop a guy like Hunter or Latimer for this lottery ticket? Yeah I know-that's kind of an ACF Q-so in general where do you draw the line? We all know that if he plays he's a top 10 lock, but you can't drop solid WR2/3's on a pipe dream, but WR4/5's it's worth a shot I assume? I guess this is the million dollar question.
I dropped Welker for him. Too much upside not to grab him. I absolutely drop Lattimer or Hunter for him.
For me, Welker would be too much for a chance at Gordon's reinstatement. I don't think I'd drop Kelvin Benjamin for him. I did drop Mike Williams for him (not a great pick, anyway).

I think the premise on why it would affect Welker and Gordon but not Blackmon has to do with the league year.
I don't think this has anything to do with Blackmon at all. The NFLPA isn't seeking a get out of jail free card for all suspended players. They're negotiating for specific changes to the policy with respect to the classification of amphetamines and the level required to fail a marijuana test. If those changes get through, they would mean that Welker and Gordon would not be suspended under the new rule, and the NFLPA is seeking to have it applied retroactively to players suspended this year.

People affected by new rules:

- Anyone suspended for amphetamines under the PED policy

- Anyone who is suspended for failing a marijuana test that had a level that is under the new, higher, level

We know that Welker fits the first group and Gordon would fit the second. I'm not aware of anyone else, but that doesn't mean there isn't anyone else. I don't know for what drug Lavon Brazil failed his test for, or if it was marijuana, what his level was (mainly because nobody cares enough to dig and find out).

I'm not sure we have total information about all of Blackmon's failed tests, but I'm pretty sure at least one of them was for drinking, and I'm pretty sure it's accepted that he has a drinking problem. He was arrested for marijuana possession, but that was after he was suspended indefinitely.

I don't think there's any information about the NFLPA trying to get the NFL to ease up on alcohol related testing/policies, so I don't think any of this will help Blackmon.
This was in a previous post but Dallas CB Orlando Sandrick was also suspended for the first four games for taking 'molly'/amphetamines and would be affected by this.

The writing on the wall is this is going to happen. When the head of the NFLPA who is a major factor starts naming names and when you hear they are this close, how can you not feel that way? This is not about did he break the rules or is he an idiot or more. This is about a new rule that would not have effected him in anyway. Get him now when you can for as cheap as you can because when this new rules gets passed and his suspension voided, it will be like he is coming into this season with the same value as he had in February.

His DUI will have major issues, but he will be punished under a different part of the CBA and his being caught with weed in the car would be of no importance to a failed test because he wasnt charged with possession from what I understand, his "friend" was. So while he may have some more strikes coming, his case isnt until November and any suspension would be minimal to start next year.

The writing on the wall is this is going to happen. When the head of the NFLPA who is a major factor starts naming names and when you hear they are this close, how can you not feel that way? This is not about did he break the rules or is he an idiot or more. This is about a new rule that would not have effected him in anyway. Get him now when you can for as cheap as you can because when this new rules gets passed and his suspension voided, it will be like he is coming into this season with the same value as he had in February.

His DUI will have major issues, but he will be punished under a different part of the CBA and his being caught with weed in the car would be of no importance to a failed test because he wasnt charged with possession from what I understand, his "friend" was. So while he may have some more strikes coming, his case isnt until November and any suspension would be minimal to start next year.
D. Smith didn't actually name names and even if this deal gets done there is still the problem the Gordon's positive test reportedly came in the last league year, not this one like Welker's, Scandricks, etc.

I'm hoping Gordon plays this year for many reasons, not the least of which is that he could potentially save my WR corps in one league.

But I'd still put the chances of it happening at under 5%.

D. Smith didn't actually name names and even if this deal gets done there is still the problem the Gordon's positive test reportedly came in the last league year, not this one like Welker's, Scandricks, etc.

I'm hoping Gordon plays this year for many reasons, not the least of which is that he could potentially save my WR corps in one league.

You are forgetting this is a contract, they agree to terms. If they agree to void or reduce Gordons (or any other player) suspension, they can.

You are forgetting this is a contract, they agree to terms. If they agree to void or reduce Gordons (or any other player) suspension, they can.
I'm not forgetting anything. IF they agree to those terms then great. But at this point that's still a really really big if.

I'm not forgetting anything. IF they agree to those terms then great. But at this point that's still a really really big if.
Not nearly as big as you are making it out to be.

primary impediment has become the league’s request that it be able to impose a suspension for player DUI arrests before the legal case is resolved. (So much for “due process.”) It’s a non-starter for the NFLPA,

mmmmmm

No way on earth anyone should ever agree to that

So do you drop a guy like Hunter or Latimer for this lottery ticket? Yeah I know-that's kind of an ACF Q-so in general where do you draw the line? We all know that if he plays he's a top 10 lock, but you can't drop solid WR2/3's on a pipe dream, but WR4/5's it's worth a shot I assume? I guess this is the million dollar question.
I dropped Welker for him. Too much upside not to grab him. I absolutely drop Lattimer or Hunter for him.
For me, Welker would be too much for a chance at Gordon's reinstatement. I don't think I'd drop Kelvin Benjamin for him. I did drop Mike Williams for him (not a great pick, anyway).
Welker is a borderline WR3 in non-ppr. I'll drop him or any other borderline starter anytime for a shot at a potential top 5 WR. Welker isnt going to win you anything. Gordon can.

Really? It's not a single if. Multiple things still have to happen for Gordon to get on the field this year and none of them are certain at this point.

If that's not a really big If I don't know what is.

Really? It's not a single if. Multiple things still have to happen for Gordon to get on the field this year and none of them are certain at this point.

If that's not a really big If I don't know what is.
Ok, you wanna make it interesting and lay 19 to 1?

All you can eat.

Cliff Clavin said:
Neil Beaufort Zod said:
Welker is a borderline WR3 in non-ppr. I'll drop him or any other borderline starter anytime for a shot at a potential top 5 WR. Welker isnt going to win you anything. Gordon can.
I think Welker can help you win, and he's definitely playing in a great offense. Gordon *might* play in a crappy offense. I get his value, but I wouldn't risk a starter for a chance at a guy who was great last year. I don't want to take that risk. If someone picked him up and ditched Welker, I'd be happy to pick Welker up and count myself fortunate.

In the leagues where I picked up Gordon, I'm happy with the scrub I ditched to get him. It was the right price for me.

Cliff Clavin said:
Neil Beaufort Zod said:
Welker isn't going to win you anything? What? If reinstated he's going to get peppered with targets in between the 20s and in the RZ by one of, if not the best QB of all time. Welker can win you lots.

Cliff Clavin said:
Neil Beaufort Zod said:
Welker isn't going to win you anything? What? If reinstated he's going to get peppered with targets in between the 20s and in the RZ by one of, if not the best QB of all time. Welker can win you lots.
It depends which Welker shows up . . . the one from the first half of last year or the one that ranked 43rd in ppg in PPR leagues over the last half of the year.

Cliff Clavin said:
Neil Beaufort Zod said:
I think Welker can help you win, and he's definitely playing in a great offense. Gordon *might* play in a crappy offense. I get his value, but I wouldn't risk a starter for a chance at a guy who was great last year. I don't want to take that risk. If someone picked him up and ditched Welker, I'd be happy to pick Welker up and count myself fortunate.In the leagues where I picked up Gordon, I'm happy with the scrub I ditched to get him. It was the right price for me.
Gordon was on a crappy offence last year and did pretty good :shrug:

Welker could be the 3rd/4th option if he stays healthy and that isn't including Ball.

I don't want to make this about my team as no one cares. He was my WR4/5 with Benjamin. With the suspension and health risk it was an easy choice for me. I'll take a risk on the guy who lead WRs in PPG last year over a guy who I'll be spot starting. The upside is just too much.

Cliff Clavin said:
Neil Beaufort Zod said:
If he gets reinstated then so does Gordon. Welker is a nice complementary piece but if you're rolling him out as anything more than your WR3, you're gonna have a bad time. And if losing your WR3 is going to cost you a season, well, you probably weren't winning anything anyway.

He's available in my FFPC league. We drafted three days ago.
i guess i just saw some outliers. fwiw, i post on another board with a draft thread and plenty of completed ffpc drafts were posted and he was taken in every one. however, i just checked the end of august fpc adp for subscribers and it reports that tho his adp was 226, he was only drafted in 87 of the last 218 drafts. thats just amazing to me.

Users who are viewing this thread