What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL to start fining (1 Viewer)

Norseman

Footballguy
link

The NFL has warned teams that any suspected faking of injuries by players to disrupt the flow of the game could result in players, coaches and clubs facing league discipline -- including the forfeiture of draft picks.

In a memo sent to all 32 teams Wednesday morning, the NFL stated: "Should the league office determine that there is reasonable cause, all those suspected in being involved in faking injuries will be summoned promptly to this office in New York to discuss the matter. Those found to be violators will be subject to appropriate disciplinary action for conduct detrimental to the game. Discipline could include fines of coaches, players and clubs, suspensions or forfeiture of draft choices."

The harsh warning comes two days after two New York Giants defenders dropped to the ground with alleged injuries during a drive by the St. Louis Rams, who were effectively driving the ball down the field in a no-huddle offense. Giants coach Tom Coughlin said that he thought safety Deon Grant, one of the players who fell to the ground, was cramping because of the tempo of the drive.

The NFL stated that it doesn't have any rules against players feigning injuries because putting those in place could result in players who truly are hurt remaining on the field and jeopardizing their health to prevent a penalty. For now, the rules state that the only way discipline is levied is if a player, coach or club official admits to faking an injury.

I don't see this changing anything. They just had to say something to appease the Rams whom filed a complaint. There is *no* way to prove if a guy was really cramping on the field or not. Impossible to enforce, nobody would ever admit to doing this.

They should give the refs the option to call unsportsmanlike conduct penalties in situations as obvious as the Giants faking multiple injuries on Monday. That'll put an end to a lot of the shenanigans real quick.

They should give the refs the option to call unsportsmanlike conduct penalties in situations as obvious as the Giants faking multiple injuries on Monday. That'll put an end to a lot of the shenanigans real quick.
A PF rule would never work and I doubt this rule has any actual teeth. How do you prove it when in most instances it isn't obvious?

I still believe it would be hard to throw a flag if you don't really know for sure and then on top of that you fine that said player. Seems like a lot of guess work.Are there any alternatives ?If a player needs assistance getting off the field, he should have to take off more than the 3 play minimum that is in place right now?I think a player has to take off 3 plays and or that gets wiped out if there is a change of possesion between the teams. Make it where the player has to sit out the full 3 plays even with a change of possesion?Just throwing out ideals.

I don't see this changing anything. They just had to say something to appease the Rams whom filed a complaint. There is *no* way to prove if a guy was really cramping on the field or not. Impossible to enforce, nobody would ever admit to doing this.
I could easily be mistaken, but other sports allow their referees to make these kinds of judgement calls, don't they? Best one that comes to mind is a soccer ref yellow carding a play that fakes an injury. Pretty sure that happened in one of the women's world cup games that the US played in. Other team tried to waste clock by faking an injury, player gets carted to sideline, jumps off stretcher and lines up to come back in, ref yellow cards her. Don't see why we can't have the same thing in the NFL.

I don't like the idea of fining players but if you can have judgement calls in Hockey for possible dives and Yellow Cards in Soccer for diving, why can't you make judgement pf calls for situations like Monday which are obvious to everyone in the stadium?

I still believe it would be hard to throw a flag if you don't really know for sure and then on top of that you fine that said player. Seems like a lot of guess work.Are there any alternatives ?If a player needs assistance getting off the field, he should have to take off more than the 3 play minimum that is in place right now?I think a player has to take off 3 plays and or that gets wiped out if there is a change of possesion between the teams. Make it where the player has to sit out the full 3 plays even with a change of possesion?Just throwing out ideals.
I think this is the only way to stop it. Make the player who's injured - real or fake - take a minimum amount of plays off. Something along those lines.

The player who is allegedly injured should have to sit out the next play.
They do.This won't change a thing because you simply can not make that determination if the injury is legit and intervene when it actually matters. And all it would take is for one REF to be wrong one time and hurt one player long term and that would be disasterous.So, even if it were completely obvious, if a team's playoffs are on the line, I have no doubt the owner would happily write a big check the next day (after the benfit is received).About the only thing that I can see detering people from faking would be if the game must be stopped for an injury, then that player must remain out the remainder of the series or something. But even then, i'm not certain as I'm sure you all noticed that the guys taking the flop the other night were a rookie backup LB and a 4-5 DB. I mean, wouldn't you think if anyone on the team were savvy enough to think to do that, it would be a veteran or starter like Tuck or someone instead of a kid that is playing in his 2nd game? Heck, some NFL players play a whole career and aren't familiar with all the situational rules ("What is this Overtime ending in a tie you speak of?" asks Donovan McNabb). Seems squirly that a kid who is a spare part and not integral would think of it al on his own. So, its a team "strategy" and if you want to make it count, you have to panalize bigger than the payoff and I'm not sure that exists. I would gladly write a $100,000 check if it gave my team a chance to advance and play in the playoffs next week (i'll make that much back in the first 5 minutes of ticket sales).

Last edited by a moderator:
They do.This won't change a thing because you simply can not make that determination if the injury is legit and intervene when it actually matters. And all it would take is for one REF to be wrong one time and hurt one player long term and that would be disasterous.

So, even if it were completely obvious, if a team's playoffs are on the line, I have no doubt the owner would happily write a big check the next day (after the benfit is received).

About the only thing that I can see detering people from faking would be if the game must be stopped for an injury, then that player must remain out the remainder of the series or something. But even then, i'm not certain as I'm sure you all noticed that the guys taking the flop the other night were a rookie backup LB and a 4-5 DB. I mean, wouldn't you think if anyone on the team were savvy enough to think to do that, it would be a veteran or starter like Tuck or someone instead of a kid that is playing in his 2nd game?

Heck, some NFL players play a whole career and aren't familiar with all the situational rules ("What is this Overtime ending in a tie you speak of?" asks Donovan McNabb). Seems squirly that a kid who is a spare part and not integral would think of it al on his own. So, its a team "strategy" and if you want to make it count, you have to panalize bigger than the payoff and I'm not sure that exists. I would gladly write a $100,000 check if it gave my team a chance to advance and play in the playoffs next week (i'll make that much back in the first 5 minutes of ticket sales).
Why would the player get hurt? I don't see why the ref would make the player stay on the field. Just flag the offending team after the player has been taken off the field.

Goodell: Hey Stinkin, saw you cramped up there when the Rams were driving on you?

Stinkin: Yep

Goodell: Were you fakin?

Stinkin: Nope

Goodell: Thanks for coming in-now I can tell the Rams I addressed the issue-hey the cafe down the street makes a wicked meatloaf-hungry?

They do.This won't change a thing because you simply can not make that determination if the injury is legit and intervene when it actually matters. And all it would take is for one REF to be wrong one time and hurt one player long term and that would be disasterous.So, even if it were completely obvious, if a team's playoffs are on the line, I have no doubt the owner would happily write a big check the next day (after the benfit is received).About the only thing that I can see detering people from faking would be if the game must be stopped for an injury, then that player must remain out the remainder of the series or something. But even then, i'm not certain as I'm sure you all noticed that the guys taking the flop the other night were a rookie backup LB and a 4-5 DB. I mean, wouldn't you think if anyone on the team were savvy enough to think to do that, it would be a veteran or starter like Tuck or someone instead of a kid that is playing in his 2nd game? Heck, some NFL players play a whole career and aren't familiar with all the situational rules ("What is this Overtime ending in a tie you speak of?" asks Donovan McNabb). Seems squirly that a kid who is a spare part and not integral would think of it al on his own. So, its a team "strategy" and if you want to make it count, you have to panalize bigger than the payoff and I'm not sure that exists. I would gladly write a $100,000 check if it gave my team a chance to advance and play in the playoffs next week (i'll make that much back in the first 5 minutes of ticket sales).
Yep. The main reason to flop is so you can substitute. So by definition you wanted a certain player off the field the next play anyways. Almost any time a team would want to do this, there's a marginal 12-13th guy on the field that can take the fall. So even if you make the "sit out" rule a whole drive, the rule would still be effectively toothless. Only thing the NFL can do is some sabre-rattling and hope teams will be more discrete.

I don't see the need to stop it all. The offenses are gaming the system by trying to get defenses stuck in the wrong personnel. Why shouldn't defenses have a counter (other than the fact that playing defense is frowned upon in the modern NFL)?

The player who is allegedly injured should have to sit out the next play. rest of that possesion.
FYP
This was Skip Bayless's solution on 1st and 10 this morning. One of the smartest things I have ever heard him say. If you are injured to the point where they need to stop play then you should sit out the rest of the possession. Or at least a set # of plays 4-5. But I think this is the only way this will end. Let's not end up like the other Futbol, with injury acting becoming a commonplace event.

I don't see the need to stop it all. The offenses are gaming the system by trying to get defenses stuck in the wrong personnel. Why shouldn't defenses have a counter (other than the fact that playing defense is frowned upon in the modern NFL)?
So its the defenses god given right to change players after every play? If the defense gets caught with a bad personnel package and the other team is taking advantage in a hurry up scheme, the defense can use a time out to get the players they want out there. No sense in turning the game into a complete mockery and get away with stopping play without being forced to call a time out.

:rolleyes:The offensive players also have to use the same personnel. This is a horrible argument.

This is only going to happen on DEF most likely. On OFF you use a T/O run down the clock and risk losing a down or something.

Make Teams designate an Injured Player Substitute (IPS) for each of the three categories: DL/LB/DB. This is a non-starter.

One of these players is allowed to come in when a player goes down due to injury.

If one of the IPS's gets injured and carted off...one of the other two IPS is allowed to come in for that player and they can rotate their guys around needed but unless they have a Timeout or something they could be penalized with ball automatic 1st and 10.

this prevents/minimizes teams from putting in scrub to take a dive only to put the starter back in. But if they're willing to do it and take a penalty...like 1st and 10 with 1/2 the distance to the goal. It would be a deterrent. But still give the coaches the option.

The player who is allegedly injured should have to sit out the next play. rest of that possesion.
FYP
This was Skip Bayless's solution on 1st and 10 this morning. One of the smartest things I have ever heard him say. If you are injured to the point where they need to stop play then you should sit out the rest of the possession. Or at least a set # of plays 4-5. But I think this is the only way this will end. Let's not end up like the other Futbol, with injury acting becoming a commonplace event.
Or have them sit out for a set length of game time, like hockey does with the penalty box.

My suggestions for what it's worth.

The injured player MUST sit out until the next 1st down or timeout used. No other positions can be substituted other than the ones running out on the field already otherwise a timeout must be called by the defense. Consider it their version of 12-men in the huddle.

And the thought police have taken over.

For the first time, the NFL commissioner will issue fines based on what HE BELIEVES the player was thinking.

I am sure this happens all of the time (some players and coaches have all but said it), and it will be impossible to police. Now, if what Bradford said was correct, in that someone on the Giants was yelling for someone to go down, one of the officials could probably hear it, so in those cases, I suppose the NFL will insist that refs throw a flag. But that will end quick as teams get wise to it and figure out other ways to signal for someone to take a dive.

i'm sure that this happens all the time. no one can expect an official to make a medical decision. in this era of player safety, the best way to deal with it is to have the "injured" player sit out until the next possession so that the medical staff has the proper time to check them out. this takes the decision out of the refs hands, and is a decent incentive not to fake an injury.

'Ministry of Pain said:
'PlasmaDogPlasma said:
I agree
Then you're both fools.

It's a team from NY, theatre capital of the world, can't blame them for putting on the death scene from Camellia as part of their strategy.

Users who are viewing this thread