What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFLN Report: Eagles sign DT Monte Reagor (1 Viewer)

phillyfan72

Footballguy
From what I hear, Reagor's not a big run stuffer, which is what I thought the Eagles needed. Can't tell if this is good or not. Any thoughts?

When healthy, he's a pretty decent 1-gap DT. I thought the Eagles ran a 2-gap system on D, so I don't know if he can do that as well as he can a 1-gap.

Another undersized DT. They might as well just put a revolving door in the middle for teams to run through. They just don't learn. :wall:

Like most every other Colt DL, he's better at rushing the QB than stopping the run, to put it mildly. Wouldn't have minded him back on the cheap but that's it.

Looks like the Colts finally seem to be getting that they need to get DTs who first and foremost stuff the line and stop the run.

Apparently, he has NOT signed. Not yet, at least...

The Eagles turned their attention to defense Tuesday as they welcomed free-agent defensive tackle Montae Reagor to the NovaCare Complex. Reagor met with the team on Tuesday amid reports that the Eagles have agreed to terms on a three-year deal.

However, there is no official word on the prospect of signing Reagor. He will meet the media late Wednesday morning.
Here's the rest of the articlehttp://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/homeNews...il.jsp?id=66351

Agree with all of the above. Reagor's a three-technique guy and a pretty decent one. It'd be nice if they had a decent NT type on the roster to help against the run. Sam Rayburn is the closest thing they have and he's a rotational guy at best. I think they'd like Broderick Bunkley to develop into a Booger MacFarland type who's still big enough to anchor at times but that's looking unlikely to happen.

I'm waiting for Woodrow to chime in here...

They have plenty of bodies at DT now, but IMO they still need that banger at MLB to develop the run-stuffing mentality this team has lacked under Jim Johnson's reign as DC.

I'm waiting for Woodrow to chime in here...They have plenty of bodies at DT now, but IMO they still need that banger at MLB to develop the run-stuffing mentality this team has lacked under Jim Johnson's reign as DC.
I think the fake axe wielding Jeremiah Trotter has provided that mentality in past seasons -- not so much recently. Unfortunately, he's been kind of a one man band without any help from his OLBs or DTs.

Some reports are saying that he will move to the inside on rushing downs and move to the outside on 3rd downs. (per 610 WIP this morning)

If true, this does not excite me in the least. Would have much preferred Doss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some reports are saying that he will move to the inside on rushing downs and move to the outside on 3rd downs. (per 610 WIP this morning)
Interesting. His linemate, Raheem Brock played a similar DT/DE role in Indy at times. The Eagles have a pretty solid rotation, or would if they'd stay healthy, of pass rushing ends in Kearse, Howard, Cole, and Thomas so it's hard to see where Reagor fits as a situational end.

The Eagles need big DTs, not speed guys.

Stuff the middle for a change, please. Not like you can steer the RB to the LBs - they're not that good.

Interesting. His linemate, Raheem Brock played a similar DT/DE role in Indy at times. The Eagles have a pretty solid rotation, or would if they'd stay healthy, of pass rushing ends in Kearse, Howard, Cole, and Thomas so it's hard to see where Reagor fits as a situational end.
The rumor/speculation on WIP was that Howard will be gone. He was pretty invisible last year, especially down the stretch.

mudshark said:
Jene Bramel said:
The rumor/speculation on WIP was that Howard will be gone. He was pretty invisible last year, especially down the stretch.
I love WIP rumors :goodposting: Doubt that Howard will be gone due to signing bonus, salary cap issues associated with releasing/trading him. He was also playing hurt most of the season

Sounds like the usual "lets make a ridiculos comment and see if its right" move by WIP

And I don't see how he gets time a DE with the 4 guys they have now. Maybe if the said Kearse would be gone I would be more inclined to believe it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jene Bramel said:
Bob Henry said:
I'm waiting for Woodrow to chime in here...They have plenty of bodies at DT now, but IMO they still need that banger at MLB to develop the run-stuffing mentality this team has lacked under Jim Johnson's reign as DC.
I think the fake axe wielding Jeremiah Trotter has provided that mentality in past seasons -- not so much recently. Unfortunately, he's been kind of a one man band without any help from his OLBs or DTs.
Agreed. Nothing against Trotter as he's been a good LB in his career, but like the Grateful Dead, he's not built to last, knowhutimean Vern?

Jene Bramel said:
Bob Henry said:
Agreed. Nothing against Trotter as he's been a good LB in his career, but like the Grateful Dead, he's not built to last, knowhutimean Vern?
Yup.

Jene Bramel said:
Bob Henry said:
Yup.
And going one step further.. Ask Urlacher and Dirty Ray how much easier their job is when they get that true space eatin', run stuffin' presence at DT/NT. If the Eagles had that player then Trotter, at the very least, would hold up better and be more productive. If you can't have both, it's better to get the NT/DT first, then get the LB.. Maybe Patrick Willis will be an Eagle when it's all said and done.

Jene Bramel said:
Bob Henry said:
Yup.
And going one step further.. Ask Urlacher and Dirty Ray how much easier their job is when they get that true space eatin', run stuffin' presence at DT/NT. If the Eagles had that player then Trotter, at the very least, would hold up better and be more productive. If you can't have both, it's better to get the NT/DT first, then get the LB.. Maybe Patrick Willis will be an Eagle when it's all said and done.
You know you're not getting any argument from me there Vern. I was plenty giddy when the Bengals signed Fatman Adams, no matter how many bad knees he had.

I'm having trouble with this signing too...I just can't see him being the answer to the run-defense problems.

With that said, I will also add that the offense looks so explosive that it might not matter how good the birds are at stopping the run. I think teams will be passing far more often against them, trying to keep up/catch up. It's those pass situations where REagor might fit in well.

I suspect the Eagles are going to either A: Rely on Bunkley to be the run-stuffer. OR B: Are still looking for another run stuffer.

It's guys like Patterson (who neither stuff the run NOR rush the passer particularly well) that are likely history.

The birds aren't done yet.

I'm having trouble with this signing too...I just can't see him being the answer to the run-defense problems.

With that said, I will also add that the offense looks so explosive that it might not matter how good the birds are at stopping the run. I think teams will be passing far more often against them, trying to keep up/catch up. It's those pass situations where REagor might fit in well.

I suspect the Eagles are going to either A: Rely on Bunkley to be the run-stuffer. OR B: Are still looking for another run stuffer.

It's guys like Patterson (who neither stuff the run NOR rush the passer particularly well) that are likely history.The birds aren't done yet.
I'm pretty sure they just resigned Patterson last year to a long term extension..so he's not going anywhere.

It's guys like Patterson (who neither stuff the run NOR rush the passer particularly well) that are likely history.The birds aren't done yet.
I'm pretty sure they just resigned Patterson last year to a long term extension..so he's not going anywhere.
Seriously, that comment makes no sense whatsoever. He was signed in-season with at least a $9 million signing bonus, which, besides causing a cap nightmare if Patterson is cut, means the Eagles are very committed to Patterson in general.

Yup - signed through 2016 - the longest of anyone on the team.

Seriously, that comment makes no sense whatsoever. He was signed in-season with at least a $9 million signing bonus, which, besides causing a cap nightmare if Patterson is cut, means the Eagles are very committed to Patterson in general.
Yes, the Eagles signed Reggie Brown and Mike Patterson (among others) to in season long term deals. They are most certainly committed to Patterson. The signing of Reggie Brown looks good but not even a year later the extension of Patterson looks like a mistake. He could turn it around but Patterson was TERRIBLE the second half of 2006.What seems to be lost on the Eagles management is that in todays NFL with the size of Offensive Lineman, even if you run a 4-3, you still need a NT. The Eagles do not have a NT on their roster. They have a bunch of quick DT's that get runover and then cant keep blockers off of Trotter. Combine that with the poor play of their OLB's and the Eagles are just inviting teams to run all over them.

Users who are viewing this thread