What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

No Kids (2 Viewers)

If you don't want kids, you shouldn't have kids.

I do feel that those that don't want kids tend to be selfish, but whatever.

I think that not having kids goes against the natural purpose of existence. Who cares if you saw a painting, or a canal, or a clock? You haven't experienced creating a human being.
Robble Robble.........Listen up burglar......my daughter is the greatest thing in my life and I couldn't imagine life without her but.......to call people who don't want children selfish is just a bunch of poopy doopy.

I've got a few friends that don't have kids. They're the ones that could retire by the time they hit 45 if they wanted to. Their houses are paid off. It's sickening. When I was in my twenties, I had the same idea. No kids. Live my life. Have all that money and time and freedom to travel.

I hit thirty and my wife started getting "the bug". I was actually very receptive to the idea. I've now got two kids. Not gonna retire at 45. Got a mortgage. But wouldn't trade it for anything. I wouldn't say "I grew up". I just got it all out of my system and was ready to settle down and raise a family.

I think that not having kids goes against the natural purpose of existence. Who cares if you saw a painting, or a canal, or a clock? You haven't experienced creating a human being.
Robble Robble.........Listen up burglar......my daughter is the greatest thing in my life and I couldn't imagine life without her but.......to call people who don't want children selfish is just a bunch of poopy doopy.
Poopy Doopy was the name of my favorite plastic dniosaur when I was a kid.

Poopy Doopy was the name of my favorite plastic dniosaur when I was a kid.
Robble Robble.....Poopy Doopy.... :thumbup:

It certainly is a matter of personal choice, and if you're not worried about your legacy or whatever, more power to you. The only negative thing I'd have to say about it really is that when you're really old and sick, it's pretty damn good to have children to help take care of you. You know, that time when you're still in your own home, but your health is failing and yet you really don't feel ready to head off to the nursing home? That time of life is pretty lousy. In home care and hospice, working with people who for whatever reason don't have family to help care for these elderly folks is sad.

So make damn sure you cough up the mega bucks for long term care insurance and have an iron clad plan in place for your later years.

It certainly is a matter of personal choice, and if you're not worried about your legacy or whatever, more power to you. The only negative thing I'd have to say about it really is that when you're really old and sick, it's pretty damn good to have children to help take care of you. You know, that time when you're still in your own home, but your health is failing and yet you really don't feel ready to head off to the nursing home? That time of life is pretty lousy. In home care and hospice, working with people who for whatever reason don't have family to help care for these elderly folks is sad.

So make damn sure you cough up the mega bucks for long term care insurance and have an iron clad plan in place for your later years.
OK......now the arguments are just getting plain stupid.

OK......now the arguments are just getting plain stupid.
I don't think this is stupid at all. Dying alone IS very sad. Having your children there is a comfort in death.

I understand not having kids if you don't want to have kids, but why even get married? I mean, I love my wife, but the main reason we got married was because we wanted to start a family together, not because we wanted some steady bedroom action and someone to share rent with.

If I wasn't down for kids, I'd probably be "that guy" you see at the club well into his 40s trying to pickup 21 year old coeds.

The coolest and most challenging thing I ever did in my life was having children.

To me it really comes down to legacy. I like to believe that I will live on after I die. My childen wil have my genes and will endoctrinated with my take on life. If that doesn't sound appealing, more power to you. Live it up.
Passing on a leacy means nothing to me. I've already admitted being selfish, which I think is a big part of not having children. my goal is to enjoy my life as much as I can while I'm here. My wife and I do that by travelling.

I've seen the Mona Lisa

I've seen Big Ben

I've seen the Eiffel Tower

I've seen the Coleseum

I've seen the canals of Venice

I've seen the Statue of David

I've been to nearly all of the Carribean Islands

I've driven the Road to Hana

I've driven through Death Valley

I've been to Chicago, Boston, Washington, Memphis, Nashville, Atlanta, Dallas, New Orleans, San Antonio, Biloxi, Miami, Key West, San Diego, San Fransisco, Los Angeles, Seattle, Vancouver, Cancun,

We go to Vegas at least once a year.

I love my life. Leavig a legacy through children has no meaning to me.
Cool. And all those memories die with you.I took my kids to a local farm today and we feed the goats and had cotton candy ice cream. It wasn't Big Ben or the Coliseum, but I'll never forget the time I spend with my kids either.

I'm not judging you. I'm just saying there are positives and negatives to both. It's a life decision.
cool.those memories will die with you too most likely. None of us have power of what memories stick with other people.

I don't begrudge any parents memories with kids. I'm sure they are very special.
I have no problem with your overall position. Sounds like you're doing the right thing for you. But this makes no sense. You don't have memories of experiencing different things with your parents growing up? I think the point was simply that people carry memories of times and experiences with their parents long after their parents die.

Interesting but the only people I've ever come into contact who say that they don't want children are people who CAN'T have children.

Sort of like that dude you knew who always said "I don't want a girlfriend" then as soon as a girl showed interest, he was her boyfriend!

If you don't want kids, there's really no point in getting married in my opinion.

The coolest and most challenging thing I ever did in my life was having children.

To me it really comes down to legacy. I like to believe that I will live on after I die. My childen wil have my genes and will endoctrinated with my take on life. If that doesn't sound appealing, more power to you. Live it up.
Passing on a leacy means nothing to me. I've already admitted being selfish, which I think is a big part of not having children. my goal is to enjoy my life as much as I can while I'm here. My wife and I do that by travelling.

I've seen the Mona Lisa

I've seen Big Ben

I've seen the Coleseum

I've been to Chicago, Boston, Washington, Memphis, Nashville, Atlanta, Dallas, New Orleans, San Antonio, Biloxi, Miami, Key West, San Diego, San Fransisco, Los Angeles, Seattle, Vancouver, Cancun,

I've done everything have you have done plus lived all over the world in parts of Asia, South America and Europe AND I'm about to be a dad for the second time."Leaving a legacy through children" shouldn't come into any reason why you have a child. Then again since you will NEVER have a clue the feeling and experiences you will have by being a parent, I don't expect you to understand.

To me it really comes down to legacy.  I like to believe that I will live on after I die.  My childen wil have my genes and will endoctrinated with my take on life.  If that doesn't sound appealing, more power to you.  Live it up.

I've seen the Mona Lisa

I've seen Big Ben

I've seen the Coleseum

I've done everything have you have done plus lived all over the world in parts of Asia, South America and Europe AND I'm about to be a dad for the second time."Leaving a legacy through children" shouldn't come into any reason why you have a child. Then again since you will NEVER have a clue the feeling and experiences you will have by being a parent, I don't expect you to understand.
:goodposting: AND

:own3d:

Interesting but the only people I've ever come into contact who say that they don't want children are people who CAN'T have children.

Sort of like that dude you knew who always said "I don't want a girlfriend" then as soon as a girl showed interest, he was her boyfriend!

If you don't want kids, there's really no point in getting married in my opinion.
we are all so glad you have given us your opinion. Too bad some of us have our own.BTW - as far as we know we can both have kids, just don't want to.

:lmao: Now there's an accomplishment.

X

I never really saw myself as a father, but 11 months in and I cannot explain the change in me. The unconditional love that child expresses orthe daily changes in awareness he exhibits. The first laugh, or hand-clapping, or cat food experiment, or the first diaper that didn't make me puke. Having him feed me one of his cherrios this week and loving him so much that I don't mind sharing it made me a bit teary. Man, this is cooler than Jamaica, Morocco, NYC, Boston, Chicago or any of the 100 other cities I have seen in my lifetime...put together.

Yes, I haven't had 8 straight hours of sleep in 11 months. He has been taking up almost 100% of the discretionary income since being born. I cannot go play golf 3 or 4 times a week anymore. And now I'm worried about Life insurance, college savings, etc. There are many things that aren't very cool about having a kid. I am now #3 on the ladder at home and there probably is only 8 half empty baby food jars and 6 formula bottles in the fridge for my supposed dinner. (I cannot eat our food everynight...it would kill me by 45)

All of that negative stuff means diddly squat knowing my boy will wake up tomorrow morning and smile at me when I come get him out of the crib. This is the coolest trip of my life and I would not trade having him in my life for anything. Anything.

But to each his own. :)
Good posting. I remember the days of walking into my daughter's room to see her standing in the crib as if to say "What took you so long?"

Teenage years are trying times, but memories are priceless. Going to amusement parks with them, things like that.

Watching them grow is a joy.

One of the things that drew me to my wife was the fact that she didn't want children. I've had friends that have told me that she will change, but they just don't know her...or me.

We don't want kids. We never did.

In my entire life, I never remember a single time where I felt like I wanted kids. I have no real problem with them. I love my nephews and niece. It's just so nice to come home to a quiet household after visiting them.

We love to travel. I could probably list a hundred different places we've visited. We plan 4 or 5 vacations a year.

I'm sure there will come a time that I might feel I missed something in life by not having a child. I just feel that my life is complete with my wife. I see parents get more angry than I've ever been yelling at their children.

I admit that I'm being selfish. I'm thinking of my life. Oh well. That's the way it is.

I'm content even if I die tonight.
I respect your reasoning. Some people just don't want kids, and that's cool.This year is the first year I've been able to play on the same softball team as my son (he's 16 now). I can't tell you how thrilling it is do things like that with your children. Going fishing, playing hoops out back.. golf.

My wife and I had kids early in our marriage. The idea was to have them grown by the time we turned mid 40s. Once the kids were off on their own, and we look to retire, we'd have all the time to travel, take cruises, etc.. To tell the truth, the time I look forward to now mostly, is the trip we take to disney world with our grandchildren (when they are old enough to understand/appreciate the trip).

Watching my grandkids (which I don't have yet) play little league, dance recitals, plays, etc..

I already get choked up thinking of watching my son and daughter walk across the stage to receive their degrees... giving my daughter's hand in marriage to some lucky young man. And having a young lady enter our family by marrying my son.

When I'm an old man, I want to be surrounded by my family. I want to sit at my lake house and watch them tell their parents "Dad, can we stay at Grandpa's a few more days?"

There is a lot to be said about a couple that chooses to not have children and spends all their time together, enjoying each other. But I can't imagine being in my 60s and not having my family around me. Especially when one of the couple (you or your wife) passes on before the other. I can't imagine the loneliness of such a scenario.

Having children is the most life altering experience that there is. I had absolutely no idea of the shifts in world view that having kids would produce in me. As most parents have said in this thread, it is something that you just cannot understand - it is an experiencial shift in the quality and content of your life.

I would give my life for my kids, willingly.

I have a question for those with no kids - what is there in this world that you would willingly give your life for?

I'm not asking this in any way to say that your choice is the "wrong" choice or that mine is "right". It is a way to maybe begin to understand where a parent is coming from.

For me, it is literally the answer to the question of "why am I here?".

Having children is the most life altering experience that there is. I had absolutely no idea of the shifts in world view that having kids would produce in me. As most parents have said in this thread, it is something that you just cannot understand - it is an experiencial shift in the quality and content of your life.

I have a question for those with no kids - what is there in this world that you would willingly give your life for?

I'm not asking this in any way to say that your choice is the "wrong" choice or that mine is "right". It is a way to maybe begin to understand where a parent is coming from.

my wife.

Would you not give your life for a parent, sibling, wife, or a friend?

1. My wife2. My parents

3. My country (under the right circumstances)

to name a few...

Good for you. It's your life.... you're the only one who has to live it. If you don't want to have children that's your business and you aren't wrong for it.

There is a lot to be said about a couple that chooses to not have children and spends all their time together, enjoying each other. But I can't imagine being in my 60s and not having my family around me. Especially when one of the couple (you or your wife) passes on before the other. I can't imagine the loneliness of such a scenario.
:goodposting: Well put.When my grandmother was on her deathbed, she had the time to speak to everyone in the family. The last thing she said to me before she died was, "Make sure to tell Amy (my wife) and the kids how much I love them."

There is no substitute for family.

No, I wouldn't.

Having children is the most life altering experience that there is.  I had absolutely no idea of the shifts in world view that having kids would produce in me.  As most parents have said in this thread, it is something that you just cannot understand - it is an experiencial shift in the quality and content of your life. 

I'm not asking this in any way to say that your choice is the "wrong" choice or that mine is "right".  It is a way to maybe begin to understand where a parent is coming from.

No, I wouldn't.
Wow.

Having children is the most life altering experience that there is.  I had absolutely no idea of the shifts in world view that having kids would produce in me.  As most parents have said in this thread, it is something that you just cannot understand - it is an experiencial shift in the quality and content of your life. 

I'm not asking this in any way to say that your choice is the "wrong" choice or that mine is "right".  It is a way to maybe begin to understand where a parent is coming from.

No, I wouldn't.
Tell me this is :fishing:

There is a lot to be said about a couple that chooses to not have children and spends all their time together, enjoying each other.  But I can't imagine being in my 60s and not having my family around me.  Especially when one of the couple (you or your wife) passes on before the other.  I can't imagine the loneliness of such a scenario.
:goodposting: Well put.When my grandmother was on her deathbed, she had the time to speak to everyone in the family. The last thing she said to me before she died was, "Make sure to tell Amy (my wife) and the kids how much I love them."

I think your view of family is a bit too rosy. For every family that loves one another tremendously, there's another that hates one another's guts. Sadly, as a lawyer, I see this EVERY DAY.

This could be the most selfish argument for having children I have ever heard. Wow.

No, I wouldn't.
:confused:

Lot of ways to live your life happily. Most of my friends have had kids, and are happy. One couple was very career oriented, expressed doubt about having kids. Everyone thought they'd miss it. Well, a lot of years later, they are very happy doing what they are doing. To each their own.

One assumption through this thread that is false - just because you have kids it doesn't mean that your life experiences have to be diminished (travel, etc.). How about taking your kids? They go all over with us. 2 weeks on the Big Island in August, etc. It comes down to responsibility and what you want innately. Those who want kids typically know it right away. I did, and love my life because of it. Though my 14 year old daughter is having a meltdown up in her room right now because her middle school graduation pictures weren't saved after editing. Ughh.

No, I wouldn't.
:confused:
I suppose I assume that most folks would give up their lives for their spouses.

My wife and I are the same way. We've never wanted kids but figured the day would come when we would feel differently about the subject. She's now 34 and I'm 33 and we still do not want to have kids so I guess there's a good chance we never will.
Thank god.

There is a lot to be said about a couple that chooses to not have children and spends all their time together, enjoying each other.  But I can't imagine being in my 60s and not having my family around me.  Especially when one of the couple (you or your wife) passes on before the other.  I can't imagine the loneliness of such a scenario.

I think your view of family is a bit too rosy. For every family that loves one another tremendously, there's another that hates one another's guts. Sadly, as a lawyer, I see this EVERY DAY.
I know what I'm about to say does NOT pertain to all couples with children, but I've noticed it happen to many of my friends and family members. They have children and both parents love their children but start to not seem to love each other. I can think of four couples right off the top of my head that were very close to one another, but once they had kids it's like they drift apart. :shrug:

we are all so glad you have given us your opinion. Too bad some of us have our own.BTW - as far as we know we can both have kids, just don't want to.
If I never ever wanted children, there's no point for me in getting married.

My wife and I are the same way. We've never wanted kids but figured the day would come when we would feel differently about the subject. She's now 34 and I'm 33 and we still do not want to have kids so I guess there's a good chance we never will.
Thank god.
shut your trap and go find us a pic of your cat wearing your wrestling gear.

Again, for the people who don't have kids, you're just guessing here because you don't have any nor will have any so you can't even grasp the concept of what it feels like to have one.

I know what I'm about to say does NOT pertain to all couples with children, but I've noticed it happen to many of my friends and family members. They have children and both parents love their children but start to not seem to love each other. I can think of four couples right off the top of my head that were very close to one another, but once they had kids it's like they drift apart. :shrug:
Choose better friends.Again, you can only THINK what it may or may not be like having children so not having them you are clueless.

By the way, all my friends who have children also love their spouse. There are hapless married couples with and with out children. So I guess you feel like you or your wife will love you less if you have any? Makes sense why you don't want them then,

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, for the people who don't have kids, you're just guessing here because you don't have any nor will have any so you can't even grasp the concept of what it feels like to have one.
So?

Don't have time to read through this, but have fun enjoying your time now and your vacations.

When I get older, I'll have my children and grandchildren to come visit me.

Also, kids are better than any vacation you could imagine.

That being said, some people just aren't meant to have kids.

I'm struck by the almost taunting tone of those who have kids towards those that don't --"enjoy your vacations now...when you're old and alone, I'll have my kids," etc.

Again, I like kids. My wife and I will likely have some (we're 26). But to suggest that children are a prerequisite to a happy or meaningful life? Please. I guess those who are infertile are just screwed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread