What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

No Suspension for Brandon Marshall (1 Viewer)

RudeDog

Footballguy
Looks like BM got away with another one. This should keep him in the top 10.

News: KDVR-TV in Denver reports that Broncos WR Brandon Marshall will not be suspended by the NFL following an offseason altercation with his fiancee. "I'm thankful to the league and their findings, but this is also a continuance of me looking into the mirror and growing into the man I know I should be," Marshall told the station. "Getting straight to the point, I understand that there can't be any more hiccups from me. With that said, I guarantee there won't be any more from this day forward. I am excited for the path that I am on. For the most part, this past year has been a blast for me. I have had the opportunity to work with Reverend Kelly and the kids at the Open Door program, to getting engaged and the planning of our wedding, and even making it to the Pro Bowl while playing last season at 80 percent."

Brandon Marshall from KDVR

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, this is good news for Marshall owners. Marshall does have a trial for an earlier incident coming up IIRC, although that didn't sound like something he was going to lose either.

Bottom line for FF: As long as Marshall is playing, he's a top-10 WR.

Well, this is good news for Marshall owners. Marshall does have a trial for an earlier incident coming up IIRC, although that didn't sound like something he was going to lose either.Bottom line for FF: As long as Marshall is playing, he's a top-10 WR.
with Kyle Orton or Chris Simms throwing to him?

Well, this is good news for Marshall owners. Marshall does have a trial for an earlier incident coming up IIRC, although that didn't sound like something he was going to lose either.Bottom line for FF: As long as Marshall is playing, he's a top-10 WR.
:kicksrock: This is good news but I would temper my expectations. The Denver offense will presumably move to a more ball-control oriented game and I doubt Marshall will see the same amount of targets he did when Cutler was forcing the ball to him in tight coverage. I think the WR to have in Denver is Royal. He is a more precise route runner with great hands and should flourish in McDaniel's scheme. His ADP is much more appealing than Marshall's as well.

Poor QB play never stopped people from predicting top 10 for Calvin, AJ, Fitz/Boldin (pre-Warner) :kicksrock:

I'm not sure he knows when he is about to do something dumb.

Hey Brandon, why don't we...

Naw, I gotta be carefull.

Then how about we...(something entirely differently stupid)

Well, that sounds ok.

Like a velociraptor in his head testing the fences of stupid.

Better than all these guys? Maybe. I doubt I'll have Marshall in my Top 10.

Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR

Johnson, Calvin DET WR

Johnson, Andre HOU WR

Jennings, Greg GBP WR

Colston, Marques NOS WR

Bowe, Dwayne KCC WR

White, Roddy ATL WR

Wayne, Reggie IND WR

Smith, Steve CAR WR

Boldin, Anquan ARI WR

Moss, Randy NEP WR

Welker, Wes NEP WR

I don't know whether Cutler threw him many deep passes, but that's something Orton isn't good at. And only 6 TDs from Cutler - I would expect the same at best for Marshall in 2009, and less yardage.

:popcorn: This is good news but I would temper my expectations. The Denver offense will presumably move to a more ball-control oriented game and I doubt Marshall will see the same amount of targets he did when Cutler was forcing the ball to him in tight coverage. I think the WR to have in Denver is Royal. He is a more precise route runner with great hands and should flourish in McDaniel's scheme. His ADP is much more appealing than Marshall's as well.
Ball control (i.e. running to eat up clock) offenses are only effective and even possible when the defense is good. DEN will not have that luxury anytime soon, and will likely be down 2 tds by halftime in many games this season. They will HAVE to throw the ball much more than I'm sure McD would like. BM may see less targets w/o Cutler, but I think he's still a solid bet to finish in the top 10.I am concerned about the qb play, all new RBs, and the new system integration as well.

I wish I believed him.
:lmao: Hard not to love the skills though. He will make or break many rosters this year.
:lmao: s As long as he is healthy and in training camp from day 1, then I think he's going to be among the top 10 fantasy WRs. If the rehab doesn't go well or the reported rumors of a "holdout" are true, though, then my expectations for him drop significantly again. Marshall's fantasy value is in flux which could make him a value or an overvalued player come August. Definitely a situation that could break many different ways. I agree with those above who think Royal may be the better target for drafting - his ADP is more attractive and in PPR leagues Royal may equal or slightly outperform Marshall, due to Royal being more familiar with the new offensive scheme and more comfortable with the QBs coming out of the gates in September (he is getting a lot more reps with them than Marshall due to Marshall's hip injury) but I do think that Marshall's ceiling is higher due to his ball skills and red zone prowess.

Poor QB play never stopped people from predicting top 10 for Calvin, AJ, Fitz/Boldin (pre-Warner) :lmao:
Let me re-state . it's not about poor QB play - I expect the winner of Simms/Orton to be a pretty decent QB this year. It's about Marshall was a top 10 WR because had an obscene number of targets in his 14 games last year. As Buffaloes said above - I expect McD to go more ball-control, and I expect the QB not to force it to Marshall, like Cutler did. I'd say as 30% or more reduction in a per/game basis could be expected, and that should drop Marshall out of top 10 status.

I'll let everyone draft Welker, Bowe, and Colston while i let Marshall slip to me and laugh all the way to the $.
I am curious as to why? 2 of the 3 play in high scoring offenses with two of the best qbs in the league throwing them the ball.I don't think it is much to think that Marshall could slip with a new qb, new rb, new coach... the only thing that remains constant in Denver is that their defense should be subpar again.

I'll let everyone draft Welker, Bowe, and Colston while i let Marshall slip to me and laugh all the way to the $.
111 - 1165 - 3 for Welker in 2008.104 - 1265 - 6 for Marshall in 2008. (albeit 1 less game)21 extra fantasy points on the year are worth having a high risk player in both character and cast change over a steady guy who doesn't receive weekly visits from the police?Good luck with that.

Poor QB play never stopped people from predicting top 10 for Calvin, AJ, Fitz/Boldin (pre-Warner) :)
And Randy Moss was good with Frerotte throwing to him(when Culpepper was hurt). He said "just chuck it dog" and went and got it. Marshall can do the same.

Poor QB play never stopped people from predicting top 10 for Calvin, AJ, Fitz/Boldin (pre-Warner) :)
And Randy Moss was good with Frerotte throwing to him(when Culpepper was hurt). He said "just chuck it dog" and went and got it. Marshall can do the same.
Marshall is nowhere near the deep threat that Moss is/was. He's more of a big possession-type guy that has the ability to make things happen after the play.

Better than all these guys? Maybe. I doubt I'll have Marshall in my Top 10.Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WRJohnson, Calvin DET WR Johnson, Andre HOU WR Jennings, Greg GBP WR Colston, Marques NOS WR Bowe, Dwayne KCC WR White, Roddy ATL WRWayne, Reggie IND WR Smith, Steve CAR WRBoldin, Anquan ARI WRMoss, Randy NEP WR Welker, Wes NEP WR I don't know whether Cutler threw him many deep passes, but that's something Orton isn't good at. And only 6 TDs from Cutler - I would expect the same at best for Marshall in 2009, and less yardage.
Bowe is way too high. He's the only option on that team with Gonzo gone.

Well, this is good news for Marshall owners. Marshall does have a trial for an earlier incident coming up IIRC, although that didn't sound like something he was going to lose either.

Bottom line for FF: As long as Marshall is playing, he's a top-10 WR.
Poor QB play never stopped people from predicting top 10 for Calvin, AJ, Fitz/Boldin (pre-Warner) :thumbup:
Really? Despite his size, Marshall seems to be more of a YAC threat than anything else. When watching him, I was actually a bit disappointed with his performance on vertical passing plays, considering his size. I am much more impressed by his ability to break tackles and get yards after the catch (generally on short receptions) than his ability to come back to the ball or win 'jump-ball' type throws. The best way to describe it is that in general he seems to play smaller than his actual size in my opinion (Eddie Royal seems to be just the opposite from what I have seen). Maybe I just haven't seen him play enough?

:goodposting: This is good news but I would temper my expectations. The Denver offense will presumably move to a more ball-control oriented game and I doubt Marshall will see the same amount of targets he did when Cutler was forcing the ball to him in tight coverage. I think the WR to have in Denver is Royal. He is a more precise route runner with great hands and should flourish in McDaniel's scheme. His ADP is much more appealing than Marshall's as well.
I tend to agree. Orton does throw a decent deep ball though. And Marshall has always produced. I'd drop him to the 15-20 tier (especially with the decent possibility he screws up again)

Marshall will be top 10 in PPR leagues. Yes, with Orton throwing him the rock.
I just don't see it.....Orton is OK.....if he stays out of trouble he could make the top 15..... but I think that it's more likely that Marshall will do something that gets him suspended...he is just not worth the risk at his ADP

I just don't see it.....Orton is OK.....if he stays out of trouble he could make the top 15..... but I think that it's more likely that Marshall will do something that gets him suspended...he is just not worth the risk at his ADP
I understand, but I think Orton will surprise now that he has viable weapons. Only time will tell, but Marshall is kind of the WR that can make his mark without the best QB play - I don't see the Randy / Oakland situation really as a fair comparison.

I understand, but I think Orton will surprise now that he has viable weapons. Only time will tell, but Marshall is kind of the WR that can make his mark without the best QB play - I don't see the Randy / Oakland situation really as a fair comparison.
put Lance Moore's brain in Marshall's body and you got a HOF WR......Talent wise Marshall is as good as anybody playing right now......the problem is with his brain...like you said time will tell

Buffaloes said:
bcr8f said:
Zoomanji said:
moleculo said:
travdogg said:
Poor QB play never stopped people from predicting top 10 for Calvin, AJ, Fitz/Boldin (pre-Warner) :bowtie:
Marshall is nowhere near the deep threat that Moss is/was. He's more of a big possession-type guy that has the ability to make things happen after the play.
YAC yards. Marshall has a great ability to make the 1st and 2nd tackler miss. This is where he will regain his value.

bcr8f said:
Chicago Hooligan said:
Better than all these guys? Maybe. I doubt I'll have Marshall in my Top 10.Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WRJohnson, Calvin DET WR Johnson, Andre HOU WR Jennings, Greg GBP WR Colston, Marques NOS WR Bowe, Dwayne KCC WR White, Roddy ATL WRWayne, Reggie IND WR Smith, Steve CAR WRBoldin, Anquan ARI WRMoss, Randy NEP WR Welker, Wes NEP WR I don't know whether Cutler threw him many deep passes, but that's something Orton isn't good at. And only 6 TDs from Cutler - I would expect the same at best for Marshall in 2009, and less yardage.
I would take Marshall over Bowe and certainly over Welker and Colston, and I give him the slightest of nods over Boldin. I'd say I have 8 WRs ahead of Marshall.

Hard to put Marshall up too high because of his lack of TDs. 13 TD catches on 206 catches in the last two seasons. which is a TD reception every 16 catches. That is pretty poor. And that was with a QB with a great arm, and in an offense that threw the ball a lot. Hard to see him getting as many catches with the QBs they have know.

Plus, he is a knucklehead, and could do something at any time to warrant a suspension.

Hard to put Marshall up too high because of his lack of TDs. 13 TD catches on 206 catches in the last two seasons. which is a TD reception every 16 catches. That is pretty poor. And that was with a QB with a great arm, and in an offense that threw the ball a lot. Hard to see him getting as many catches with the QBs they have know. Plus, he is a knucklehead, and could do something at any time to warrant a suspension.
If given the choice between a WR who got a lot of catches/yards but few TDs vs. a WR who got fewer receptions/yards but more TDs, I'll take the former and it's not close. The former has a much better chance to increase his TD #'s and more likely to replicate his receptions/yds than vice versa for the latter.

Nemesis Enforcer said:
wasted space 25 said:
I am curious as to why? 2 of the 3 play in high scoring offenses with two of the best qbs in the league throwing them the ball.I don't think it is much to think that Marshall could slip with a new qb, new rb, new coach... the only thing that remains constant in Denver is that their defense should be subpar again.
Colston will lose balls to Moore and Bush. Welker will be second fiddle to Moss. I just think Marshall is a dominant number one WR compared to those guys. Yea they are on good offensive teams but i dont see them getting more looks than Marshall and i surely dont see the big play ability in those guys compared to Marshall.

I wouldn't have him in my top ten. I liked him last year, but this year I think his ADP will be too high for me to consider him. I think he should be a number 2 or maybe even a 3 WR with the contract issues, the QB situation, the new Coach, etc., etc., etc. They lose a couple games early and it could turn into a very bad situation.

bcr8f said:
Chicago Hooligan said:
Bowe's value just went up for me. Cassel is going to spoon feed the ball to him.

I agree with this. His injury concerns me a bit though and so I would put him in the 10-15 tier for this season. His propensity for trouble doesn't bother me that much because it seems like many of the best WRs have it: Moss, TO, Ocho Cinco, Steve Smith. On the football field whatever that is often translates into extreme competitiveness and aggressiveness.

B. Marshall fan and love his talent and loved his situation with Cutler/Shanny....now, not so much. Last year with Cutler throwing the ball all over the place for 4500+ yards Marshall got 104 catches for 1250 or so yards. Cutler >>> Orton and the new staff is talking about taking the air out of the ball and moving to more of a power running game. Yes Marshall was hurt last year so he should be able to be a little more effective with his YAC and maybe grab a few more TD's but I'd imagine the attempts, receptions, yards and TD's will be down across the board which will hurt Marshall's productivity. Top 20 yes, top 10, no.

Last edited by a moderator:
He had 104 catches and missed a few games didnt he? So if he plays a full season with his hip back healthy why shouldnt he catch 100 balls? Yea they will be running the ball more but that might lead to more first downs and more snaps which will lead to more catches. There are many WR's that dont have top 5 QB's throwing to them that seem to be studs. S. Smith, Andre, and Calvin to name a few. No idea why people seem to think he's going in the tank because of his QB. A 5 yard out or a WR screen can turn into a 20 yard gain for this beast. Marshall=Stud. Oh and im an owner of the stud.

He had 104 catches and missed a few games didnt he? So if he plays a full season with his hip back healthy why shouldnt he catch 100 balls? Yea they will be running the ball more but that might lead to more first downs and more snaps which will lead to more catches. There are many WR's that dont have top 5 QB's throwing to them that seem to be studs. S. Smith, Andre, and Calvin to name a few. No idea why people seem to think he's going in the tank because of his QB. A 5 yard out or a WR screen can turn into a 20 yard gain for this beast. Marshall=Stud. Oh and im an owner of the stud.
He missed one game. I have Marshall on my team and I'm a Denver homer but I really think people should temper their expectations with Marshall. Cutler forced quite a few balls to Marshall when he was literally draped in coverage. Neither Orton nor Simms have the ability to make those throws. The Broncos still have an offense that is loaded with receiving options and now they have a QB who will most likely go through his progression rather than hone in on his first option and squeeze the ball in there. Add that to the fact that Marshall is working out on his own right now while the other WRs are acclimating themselves to the new and complex offense and new QBs and I see too many red flags to take him as a top 10 WR this year. I also doubt that Denver has a run:pass ratio anywhere near last year's where they ran approximately 38.4% of the time.

He missed 1 game last year. I think it's likely that the offense will throw for 1,000+ less yards and 100 less attempts this year than last year. Orton is not as accurate as Cutler which will result in fewer completions, he's not going to convert more 3rd downs or keep drives alive better than Cutler did either. As far as the players you mentioned...Smith and Calvin while probably being better talents are also the only game in town on their teams so they have no competition from TE's/WR's for their receptions/yards. Johnson is on a very good passing offense that threw for 4,400+ plus yards last year and should throw for 4,000 again this year...I just don't see the situations being similar.

Users who are viewing this thread