What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Non-PPR Drafts - Let's Talk Strategy (1 Viewer)

Goooals

Footballguy
Let chat about non-ppr drafts.

• Rankings
  • Where are the good draft slots
  • When do the top WR's start coming off the board (late 1st, early 2nd
  • Strategy (What to do in Rd 2 - take a top WR or a RB2)
One of my High Stakes leagues:

Non-PPR Superflex (start 2qb)

4pts passing td

all other scoring is standard

Early 1st Round pick - take elite QB or top RB?

Late 1st Round pick - Top RB, Top WR, or 2nd Tier QB

I think you guys get the picture......

76 views and not one response.

I know sharks aren't too excited about non-ppr, but geez....

Will try this for another day.

Some additional thoughts:

In standard lineup formats, I think it is essential that you land 2 of the top 16 or so RB's. It you are at the beginning of the draft and that doesn't fall to you, then you need to zag. Top WR and/or Top QB in the 3rd.

For start 2QB non-ppr, 2 RB's and a QB by round 3. Rounds 4 and 5 are best player available.

Obviously, I am deeply discounting WR's in non-ppr. From my experience, there is very little point differential from WR15 - WR 40. Not enough to warrant passing on Top RB's and a QB (in start 2QB leagues).

It's not non-PPR that killed interest when I viewed. I lost interest once I saw start 2 QB. I don't, and wouldn't play in such a league, and as such, don't have any constructive thoughts. Simply haven't given it any consideration, and don't feel qualified. :shrug:

For general standard leagues (and PPR as well), I've come around to the idea of WR/WR from virtually every draft slot. Earlier in the year, I was on board with grabbing a big 4 type RB or a Luck if I drafted early, but the very reliable composition of the drafts this year just seems to mandate going about it differently.

Rounds 3 through 8 or so, every draft, seem to have tons of values at RB, while at literally every other position, I am every bit as happy with the late round options as I am with the mid-rounders. So it only makes sense to use those rounds to stuff my RB corps. And if I'm going to do that, what does that mean for the early rounds?

I think the dropoff from the top...what is it, 8 or so?...WR's is clear and substantial, and they are gone, gone, gone by 3.1 literally every draft I do, real or mock.

The only real other consideration for me is grabbing a Rodgers or Luck in the first (or second if one falls), but I'm a lot more confident that I see predictable breakout candidates among the late-round QB ranks than I do for WR's. :shrug:

So literally, even if I firmly believe Peterson, Lacy, or Bell or someone is going to earn those top value slots, my team is stronger if I bypass them and "reach" for Brown, Dez, or whoever. :shrug:

Obviously, 100% of that goes out the window in a 2QB league, though.

Equally obvious, if either your top WR tier extends a little deeper, or your 2nd tier is a little closer to tier 1 than mine, it'd certainly be worth passing on WR if you were picking at the top of the first.

Last edited by a moderator:
2QB non-ppr is a weird league. Even at 4 pt/TD you have to go Rodgers and Luck 1/2. It bumps down WR that are non-elite and bumps up RB like Alfred Morris.

In a league like that I could see myself getting 2QB and 2 RB by the forth round. Past elite WR you are banking on TDs. It's just so hard to say much when the scoring and roster make QBs so incredibly valuable by making everyone else relatively invaluable for inconsistency.

Well I'll bite. Done a LOT of mocks and draft dominator this past week and have devised my general strategy for the draft. NON PPR, 1QB league.

Round one I'll take an RB, then next 3 rounds load up on WRs and/or Gronk, Luck, Rodgers if one of them fall to the 2nd round.

Then target RBs rounds 5-8. Grab a QB in here if someone like Big Ben falls.

Fave place to draft this year is around 4-8 and hope one of the big six RBs falls then this formula has been working for me. Constantly end up with one of ...

1st - Charles/Petersen/Lacy/Lynch/Bell/Forte

2nd - Julio/Dez/Calvin/Jordy

3rd - Green/Hilton/Evans/Hopkins

4th - Cooks usually

5th-8th hope an Ellington/Randle type drops and target Ivory, Abdullah,Foster, Blount, Crowell, Yeldon etc

Grab a QB if good value comes up.

My only deviation now is if the top 6RBs go and you are back end of draft. I'll take best available like Brown/Gonk, get the RB in the 2nd then follow the same strategy.

In the dominator with this I got Brown, Hill, Calvin, Evans in that order then loaded up on mid round RBs and got Romo/Brady.

I agree the that the non-ppr, start 2qb is not normal. I think that's what I like about it. standard non-ppr and ppr are pretty cookie cutter these days, although there are many strategies to take while drafting.

All of my other leagues are in this format, so all information on this board is relevant.

Keep the comments coming.

A big question for me, is what to do after the big 6 RB's are taken. Go with Anderson, Forte or Murray? Or switch to a top WR and get the best available RB in round 2.

This is good stuff!

Well with the way I've been doing it, the wavering point for me is Forte/Anderson. That's where I become unsure and may grab Antonio or Gronk if available. Wouldn't consider Murray in the 1st.

I'm drafting 12/12 and I'm 90% sure I'll get 2 top 5 WR. I'm not taking CJ/Hill/McCoy/Murray that early when there is tremendous value at RB after the second rounds and the WR talent drops off after round 3.

I'm drafting 12/12 and I'm 90% sure I'll get 2 top 5 WR. I'm not taking CJ/Hill/McCoy/Murray that early when there is tremendous value at RB after the second rounds and the WR talent drops off after round 3.
at 12/12, I agree with getting a top WR. I'm not sure though, with my 2nd pick, I'm sold going another WR and not getting a tier 1 or 2 RB. Personally, I would much rather take my chances on a tier 3/4 WR versus RB in the mid-rounds. Especially in a non-ppr.

Users who are viewing this thread