What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Notable CUTS - 2022 (1 Viewer)

It's not always about a skill position player. Drake being cut, if that happens, would definitely be someone to put on the radar but if, for example, there is an OL of decent quality that the Raiders manage to pick up after cuts that would also give a modest bump to that offense as a whole.

It's not always about a skill position player. Drake being cut, if that happens, would definitely be someone to put on the radar but if, for example, there is an OL of decent quality that the Raiders manage to pick up after cuts that would also give a modest bump to that offense as a whole.
Not a cut per se, but there is a report today that the Patriots are shopping Isaiah Wynn. He's one of the better OL in the NFL, but they have already decided they aren't going to be extending him, and he's in the final year of his rookie deal. He'd certainly be an upgrade at T or G for almost any team in the NFL.

Not a cut per se, but there is a report today that the Patriots are shopping Isaiah Wynn. He's one of the better OL in the NFL, but they have already decided they aren't going to be extending him, and he's in the final year of his rookie deal. He'd certainly be an upgrade at T or G for almost any team in the NFL.
Speaking as a Raider fan "GO GET HIM JOSH!!!!"

Yes, then this post would belong in the NOTABLE SIGNINGS thread :P

Raiders release Kenyan Drake (official)

Raiders release Kenyan Drake (official)

Just have to hope he doesn't go somewhere and muddy up another RBBC. He's certainly not the league winner he was down the stretch with the Cardinals a few years ago, but still good enough to be a factor in a backfield.

Just have to hope he doesn't go somewhere and muddy up another RBBC. He's certainly not the league winner he was down the stretch with the Cardinals a few years ago, but still good enough to be a factor in a backfield.
Drake is unlikely to have any real fantasy value going forward, but I agree that he could still contribute to an NFL team.
Even if he does nothing else in the league, his career has exceeded those of Eddie Lacy and TJ Yeldon, two of the backs he played behind in his time at Alabama.

Spotrac

@spotrac

Kenyan Drake's $2.5M base salary is subject to offsets should he sign with a new team in 2022.

If Drake signs somewhere, he needs to get paid more than 2.5 mill, or he's playing for free. And if he only signs for 3 mill, he's only making 500 grand to play.

We might not see Drake for a while.

As I was just telling a buddy shortly ago, I think it would be AWESOME if Sony Michel went back to the Rams and screwed up any upside with Akers/Henderson.

I actually think there's a non zero chance that it actually happens, considering the health of those two.

Spotrac
@spotrac

Kenyan Drake's $2.5M base salary is subject to offsets should he sign with a new team in 2022.

If Drake signs somewhere, he needs to get paid more than 2.5 mill, or he's playing for free. And if he only signs for 3 mill, he's only making 500 grand to play.

LMAO that's not how offsets work. Drake gets his guaranteed money period. If he signs with another team the LVR get that credited off (offset) the money the owe him since it's coming from the new team. With zero offset the player is able to double dip the full amount the new team is paying.

A good one just popped up! Michel got released. Maybe a slight boost to Edmonds?
Definitely a boost. They're gonna try to put Zaquandre White on the PS, who would be their power back if they decide to use one. White looked better than Michel.

Edmonds could be 1a, Mostert 1b, with Edmonds or the FB being a GL back. Edmonds looked good in camp. They probably keep 1 of Gaskin or Ahmed, or maybe someone from waivers.

Update on all the notable cuts? I've seen some action in the individual player threads, but not here.

As I was just telling a buddy shortly ago, I think it would be AWESOME if Sony Michel went back to the Rams and screwed up any upside with Akers/Henderson.

I actually think there's a non zero chance that it actually happens, considering the health of those two.
I'd put it at 50-50 if they can squeeze him in under the cap, which really never seems to apply to the Rams anyway.

QB Josh Johnson cut from Denver. Now looking for his 15th Team.... Betting pools?
  1. 2009: Tampa Bay
  2. 2010: Tampa Bay
  3. 2011: Tampa Bay
  4. 2012; Cleveland / San Francisco (Cut) / Sacramento Mountain Lions (UFL)
  5. 2013: Cincinnati
  6. 2014: San Francisco (cut)
  7. 2015: Cincinnati (cut) / NY Jets (cut) / Indianapolis (cut) / Buffalo
  8. 2016: Baltimore (cut) / NY Giants
  9. 2017: NY Giants (cut) / Houston (cut)
  10. 2018: Oakland (cut) / Washington / San Diego Fleet (AAL)
  11. 2019: Detroit (cut) / Los Angeles Wildcats (XFL)
  12. 2020: San Francisco (cut)
  13. 2021: NY Jets / Baltimore
  14. 2022: Denver (cut today)

Last edited:
Spotrac
@spotrac

LMAO that's not how offsets work. Drake gets his guaranteed money period. If he signs with another team the LVR get that credited off (offset) the money the owe him since it's coming from the new team. With zero offset the player is able to double dip the full amount the new team is paying.

I think this is exactly what @massraider is saying. He will be paid $2.5m this season to sit poolside at the Hard Rock. If he signs somewhere for $2.5m, he earns no additional compensation to play football; if he signs somewhere for $3m, his marginal income is an additional $500,000 to play football this season. It might be hard for him to find a team that can make the $$ work.

Tampa WR Tyler Johnson was cut.

A bit of a surprise - may be looking into it too much, but possibly a good sign as to Godwin's health.

Spotrac
@spotrac

I think this is exactly what @massraider is saying. He will be paid $2.5m this season to sit poolside at the Hard Rock. If he signs somewhere for $2.5m, he earns no additional compensation to play football; if he signs somewhere for $3m, his marginal income is an additional $500,000 to play football this season. It might be hard for him to find a team that can make the $$ work.
Not playing this year would hurt his chances of getting a decent deal to play next year after doing nada for a season.

Spotrac
@spotrac

Not playing this year would hurt his chances of getting a decent deal to play next year after doing nada for a season.

Agreed - there are good reasons for him to sign somewhere in addition to current salary.

Tampa WR Tyler Johnson was cut.

A bit of a surprise - may be looking into it too much, but possibly a good sign as to Godwin's health.
My first thought was Russell Gage might be close to returning. Last I read he hadn't practiced in three weeks, but these are a pretty important three weeks for a guy trying to make a transition to a new team.

Either that or the team is convinced Julio is going to step in and play a major role from the start. Seems like Brady is a fan already based on his quotes and let's be honest...... he may be making the receiver decisions as much as anyone else in the building. Something tells me he isn't nearly as invested in developing young WR's as a GM should be.

I liked Johnson coming out of MIN. As someone who has a pretty high % in Osborn I'm hoping Johnson doesn't go back to his old stomping grounds, but it kind of makes sense for both the team and the player.

Spotrac
@spotrac

I don't think it's quite so simple. Yes he gets paid $2.5 MM this year, whether he plays or if he sits on the couch. But you have to also figure future earnings potential if you are Drake. Are you more or less likely to sign for more money (or even at all) in 2023 if you sit on the couch vs. playing in 2022? If the right situation comes along (e.g. Ravens), I'd say playing is the correct call, even if for 'free' - assuming he's feeling fully healthy.

Spotrac
@spotrac

He's also getting to audition himself for his next contract - sitting poolside is not going to pay him much in 2023.

Spotrac
@spotrac

I think you misunderstood his point. He's saying that Drake gets paid $2.5 MM no matter what. So unless the Ravens pay him more than that, he's essentially playing for them for free. But as I just stated one post above, it's not quite so simple if Drake intends to play in the NFL beyond 2022.

Users who are viewing this thread