What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Now the 2018 Assistant Coach Thread (1 Viewer)

Interesting, but I can see it.

What's the love for Luzardo like right now?  Bauer, Soroka, ERodriguez, and Luzardo......can keep all but one.  This is tough.
Weird spot. I think your two best (Bauer and E Rod) are potential whip hazards. I want one or the other on all of my teams, but I don't want both on any of them. Problem is the other two carry quite a bit of inherent young pitcher risk. 

Not knowing anything else I'd live dangerously and unload the low k Soroka, but doing so really restricts what you can do wrt pitching early in your draft. It almost forces you to reach for certain arms rather than letting the draft come to you, a spot I hate putting myself in. 

Weird spot. I think your two best (Bauer and E Rod) are potential whip hazards. I want one or the other on all of my teams, but I don't want both on any of them. Problem is the other two carry quite a bit of inherent young pitcher risk. 

Not knowing anything else I'd live dangerously and unload the low k Soroka, but doing so really restricts what you can do wrt pitching early in your draft. It almost forces you to reach for certain arms rather than letting the draft come to you, a spot I hate putting myself in. 
It's one of my deep keepers, 10 per team, H2H 6x6 (pitching losses are a cat).  I have 6 hitters to keep...JD, Xander, Hiura, Marte, KBryant, and Mondesi. 

Dropping Benintendi, who will bounce back for sure.  Sale is going under the knife, so I'm tossing him back in.  I honestly was probably doing that either way though.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much more is luck going to play into this season than a normal 162 game roto? I keep asking myself this as I can promote Vlad and Yordan Alvarex from the minors, but then will have a roster jam in 2021 of who to keep. (Current 5 Kept majors - Trout, Soto, Glyber Torres, Machado and Robles); The other thought is keep them down for this 60 game sprint and promote them in 2021. I have no pitching other than lazardo ( also in the minors, but I have extra draft picks and should be able to compete this year).  Maybe the answer is - what are the dues for this year - I am not sure if there will be reduction or not? Any other thoughts?  I am a little shuked. 

How much more is luck going to play into this season than a normal 162 game roto? I keep asking myself this as I can promote Vlad and Yordan Alvarex from the minors, but then will have a roster jam in 2021 of who to keep. (Current 5 Kept majors - Trout, Soto, Glyber Torres, Machado and Robles); The other thought is keep them down for this 60 game sprint and promote them in 2021. I have no pitching other than lazardo ( also in the minors, but I have extra draft picks and should be able to compete this year).  Maybe the answer is - what are the dues for this year - I am not sure if there will be reduction or not? Any other thoughts?  I am a little shuked. 
Best long-term decision is probably keeping them down. Can you activate them at any point? Or it an opening day or bust kind of thing? If it's the former, you could give it a few weeks to see if adding those two to the fold could give you the win in this short sprint.

This year is going to be a total crap shoot. And there's a real chance they don't finish the season. So I'd probably lean toward protecting the whole gang for 2021.

RnR said:
Best long-term decision is probably keeping them down. Can you activate them at any point? Or it an opening day or bust kind of thing? If it's the former, you could give it a few weeks to see if adding those two to the fold could give you the win in this short sprint.

This year is going to be a total crap shoot. And there's a real chance they don't finish the season. So I'd probably lean toward protecting the whole gang for 2021.
I have Acuna in my minors and planned to activate him this year.  Now I probably won't due to the short season and potential of long IR stints due to the virus.  I would keep them down.

Please rank as most likely to contribute fantasy wise this year. I have too much SP and need to possibly drop/trade a couple of these

N Pearson

C Mize

B McKay

F Whitley

AJ Puk

Finished a 10 team redraft auction last night. Been shopping around for a first baseman, thought I was close to getting Carlos Santana for this same package but he’d do it as it is below. Thoughts on the trade would be appreciated. H2h scoring r, hr, rbi, sb, obp, slg, era, whip, k/9, L, SV, QS. Minimum 35 inning pitched a week. 

He would give me Josh Bell for Sonny Gray and Mike Minor. Should I take it or hope for a better deal or to snag a FA at some point. Don’t have much hitting depth yet. Wanted Carlos for his obp prowess, Bells cool off period last year and lack of bats around him in the lineup scare me but I can be talked into it.

c Will Smith

1b Christian Walker

2b Ozzie Albies

3b Jose Ramirez

ss Francisco Lindor

of Juan Soto

of Nick Castellanos

of Cavan Biggio

ut Shin-Soo Choo

ut Willie Calhoun

bn Nick Senzel (May drop for Shogo or someone)

SP are Bieber, Paddack, Lynn, Wheeler, Gray, Soroka, McCullers, Odorizzi, Musgrove, Minor.

RP: Melancon, H Robles, Doolittle, R Iglesias

Would like some help/advice from some more advanced fantasy baseball players as I'm relatively inexperienced. Play in a roto league with a weird maximum of 2 trades on the season rule. Also--we have 40 player lineups and no bench--and no pickups all season--which means you start all of your players every day regardless of if they are hurt, dropped, sick..etc.  Currently my team is middle of the pack as my pitching has been terrible (thank you Shohei).   I was offered this deal last night. 

I would receive: 

Pete alonso

Trae Turner 

Eugenio Suarez

Scott Kingery

Hansel Robles 

I would be trading away:

Eloy Jimenez

Gleyber Torres

Justin Turner

Eric Hosmer

Alex Coloma 

I'm leaning towards declining it as I feel like the offenses that my players play for are more dynamic and thus have more opportunity to product--but I'm also not very experienced.  I'd appreicate opinions. 

Would like some help/advice from some more advanced fantasy baseball players as I'm relatively inexperienced. Play in a roto league with a weird maximum of 2 trades on the season rule. Also--we have 40 player lineups and no bench--and no pickups all season--which means you start all of your players every day regardless of if they are hurt, dropped, sick..etc.  Currently my team is middle of the pack as my pitching has been terrible (thank you Shohei).   I was offered this deal last night. 

I would receive: 

Pete alonso

Trae Turner 

Eugenio Suarez

Scott Kingery

Hansel Robles 

I would be trading away:

Eloy Jimenez

Gleyber Torres

Justin Turner

Eric Hosmer

Alex Coloma 

I'm leaning towards declining it as I feel like the offenses that my players play for are more dynamic and thus have more opportunity to product--but I'm also not very experienced.  I'd appreicate opinions. 
1 year league or dynasty?  also, gleyber is dead for aboot 3 weeks.

1 year league or dynasty?  also, gleyber is dead for aboot 3 weeks.
Its a 1 year league but unfortuantely the dude that offered the trade ended up making a deal with another owner a day after he offered me the trade.  Had i known gleyber would get hurt--I would have taken it--but it's impossible to forecast injury. I do appreciate you reading the post and offering to help though. Thank you.  

Its a 1 year league but unfortuantely the dude that offered the trade ended up making a deal with another owner a day after he offered me the trade.  Had i known gleyber would get hurt--I would have taken it--but it's impossible to forecast injury. I do appreciate you reading the post and offering to help though. Thank you.  
fwiw, i wouldn’t have done it.  kingery and robles offer little value.

Auction keeper league, keep 5. Salary goes up 5 first two years, then 10 yearly after that. Fairly Standard 6x6 (obp, slg, hr, r, rbi, sb, qs, L, sv, k9, whip, era).  We froze our keeper league and did a redraft last year, picking keepers from options in 2019 season if prices look way out of whack. Standard $260 budget.

Player / price this year / price following year

Cody Bellinger 30/40

Christian Yelich 34/44

Keston Hiura 15/20

Will Smith 15/20

Shane Beiber 13/18

Trevor Bauer 12/22

Luis Castillo 6/11

Patrick Corbin 12/22

Auction keeper league, keep 5. Salary goes up 5 first two years, then 10 yearly after that. Fairly Standard 6x6 (obp, slg, hr, r, rbi, sb, qs, L, sv, k9, whip, era).  We froze our keeper league and did a redraft last year, picking keepers from options in 2019 season if prices look way out of whack. Standard $260 budget.

Player / price this year / price following year

Cody Bellinger 30/40

Christian Yelich 34/44

Keston Hiura 15/20

Will Smith 15/20

Shane Beiber 13/18

Trevor Bauer 12/22

Luis Castillo 6/11

Patrick Corbin 12/22
Beiber, Bauer, and Castillo for sure.

Both Yelich and Bellinger are fairly priced in a 12 team, and more attractive if there are more teams than that. I'd keep one of those and then Hiura.  gllllllllllllllllllllllllll 

Beiber, Bauer, and Castillo for sure.

Both Yelich and Bellinger are fairly priced in a 12 team, and more attractive if there are more teams than that. I'd keep one of those and then Hiura.  gllllllllllllllllllllllllll 
Yep. That's excessive pitching, but it's also theft. I'd keep all three, but plan to deal one. Bellinger is younger and cheaper than Yelich, so I'd keep him with Hiura. If it's a 2 C league then Will Smith is a justified keeper too.

Hey @MAC_32 and @FishTacoTuesday, appreciate the responses. I think I agree on the pitching, value is too good to pass up. Was struggling over the hitters. I guess the challenge for me comes down to Hiura v Yeli. I didn’t own Keston last year but know he had a bit of a down year (granted I know the shortened season is almost something some are willing to throw out). Yeli too, maybe something was in the water in Milwaukee. 

Before everything hit the fan I had submitted keeper list of: Cody Yeli Keston Luis Shane, so I’m not against keeping Keston, but could use more confidence in it. The assumption I guess is his minor numbers suggest a bounce back, coupled with will Yeli go for a ton more than is number? I just wonder if the difference between Kestons keeper number and what he’d go for unprotected, versus the same for Yelich, wouldn’t be as high but who knows.

My gut is kinda saying take the pitchers and the two that dueled over MVP a season ago and that’s pretty safe. Guess I hadn’t really wrapped my head around not keeping those two offense juggernauts, plus probably makes it harder that I didn’t have to live through Yelichs down year, I just remember the magic of the year before.

Quick aside as I was looking into Keston I should’ve I guess added I also have Merrifield as an option for 16 I think just throwing him in the mix. I didn’t think he quite stacked up but maybe he does.

I'm not going to boost your confidence in Hiura. He's a gamble. He had a minors profile of a high contact hitter, but his k rate ballooned once getting to the pros. He needs to get that under control to progress and I think he will, but will it be an April 2021 thing, August 2021, or a future year? :shrug:

When he does he is a middle over the order 30+/10+/270+ slugger, but until then it'll be more volatile. I just think that gamble is worth $15 in your format. It comes with a can't be afraid of failure caveat though.

I'm not going to boost your confidence in Hiura. He's a gamble. He had a minors profile of a high contact hitter, but his k rate ballooned once getting to the pros. He needs to get that under control to progress and I think he will, but will it be an April 2021 thing, August 2021, or a future year? :shrug:

When he does he is a middle over the order 30+/10+/270+ slugger, but until then it'll be more volatile. I just think that gamble is worth $15 in your format. It comes with a can't be afraid of failure caveat though.
Agree, Hiura still seems boom or bust. I like taking those chances though, and Hiura could be kind a high end Jonathan Schoop.

That’s a good bet imo. 

A few observations in the drafts I've done so far:

SP's are going a lot earlier than in the past.  I'm seeing at least 6-8 SP's in the first two rounds of every draft I've done.  Every single one.  This is very odd because I've drafted for years and usually maybe 2-3 guys would go in the first two rounds.  And being that last year was what it was, people are direly overpaying for arms.

And speaking of arms, did a draft and 7 Dodger starters were drafted.  SEVEN.  Did I mention this was a 10 team league with shallow benches?  Kershaw, Price, Gonsolin, Buehler, May, Bauer and Urias.  Buehler is going way high in every league.  :shrug:  

Relief pitchers are a total #### show.  My old time theory was grab a stud closer, and then wait and pickup a few guys late.  Nowadawys, there are about 9-10 closers and after that your drafting and praying the guy gets the closer job, or isn't part of a bullpen by committee.  I've kinda played this a few different ways but I think it's going to be waiver wire hell all year long chasing saves.  

Third Base is really deep this year.  I thought I was doing good grabbing Manny Machado in the 3rd round, but after reviewing drafts, this is a mistake.  I'm also grabbing Bryant really late in drafts since he seems to be falling way out of favor.

SS is pretty deep - especially the top 5-6 guys.  But Corey Seager is going way too high in every draft.  I like the guy, but I'm content grabbing Bogaerts the round after him or Tim Anderson 2-3 rounds later.

Catcher is a position you can wait until the end, almost like pk's these days.  I play two catcher leagues, and years and years ago, I'd always grab two good catchers as I felt it was a massive advantage getting 1,000 - 1,110 ab's of above average production at a position vs the guy that got 700-800 ab's of poor production.  Those days are gone.  Now you are in the 20th round of a draft and you have 15 guys still available that are all rated about the same.

Mondessi on the Royals is being drafted super early.  I think with the dearth of steals, someone in each league just wants to draft this guy and forget about it.  There are about 30 guys that can get high teens to 30 steals that are worth rostering so I'm just grabbing a few of those guys.  I never chase steals, always try to get mid-pack, never 1st, never last.

A few observations in the drafts I've done so far:

SP's are going a lot earlier than in the past.  I'm seeing at least 6-8 SP's in the first two rounds of every draft I've done.  Every single one.  This is very odd because I've drafted for years and usually maybe 2-3 guys would go in the first two rounds.  And being that last year was what it was, people are direly overpaying for arms.
I expected this, but to my surprise it hasn't been the case in my 3 leagues. 4th one drafts Wed night and it's notorious for picking SP early, so I'm sure this year will be no exception. I was prepared to go earlier than usual for SP, but ended up not needing to. 

And speaking of arms, did a draft and 7 Dodger starters were drafted.  SEVEN.  Did I mention this was a 10 team league with shallow benches?  Kershaw, Price, Gonsolin, Buehler, May, Bauer and Urias.  Buehler is going way high in every league.  :shrug:  
All 7 have been drafted in each of mine and I expect the same tomorrow. Right or wrong, Price is the only one I won't consider drafting.  

Relief pitchers are a total #### show.  My old time theory was grab a stud closer, and then wait and pickup a few guys late.  Nowadawys, there are about 9-10 closers and after that your drafting and praying the guy gets the closer job, or isn't part of a bullpen by committee.  I've kinda played this a few different ways but I think it's going to be waiver wire hell all year long chasing saves.  
One of the top 10-11 is a must. If you can get two, great, but don't force it. Then draft two among N Anderson, Pomeranz, McGee, Barnes, W Smith, Archie, Rodriguez, Montero, and Garrett. Expect one of them to close and the other to help with ratios and k's. If you're lucky and both hit then maybe you don't have to chase saves in-season.

Third Base is really deep this year.  I thought I was doing good grabbing Manny Machado in the 3rd round, but after reviewing drafts, this is a mistake.  I'm also grabbing Bryant really late in drafts since he seems to be falling way out of favor.
I don't think Machado at pick 20something is a mistake. I think that's about right. I'm not prioritizing any of the top 6, but if any of them fall I'd consider pulling the trigger. Cause you're right about 3B in shallower formats, but be careful in deeper ones. The last among the Suarez/Muncy/Chapman/Yoan tier fits. But if you miss then the Bohm/Bryant/Hayes tier is an adequate fall back plan. And while they're better fits as CI/MI/U, but a worst case of someone among the Gimenez/Riley/Solak/McMahon group or Donaldson/Turner if vets are your thing ain't too bad. 

SS is pretty deep - especially the top 5-6 guys.  But Corey Seager is going way too high in every draft.  I like the guy, but I'm content grabbing Bogaerts the round after him or Tim Anderson 2-3 rounds later.
This is probably true in a 10 teamer or one that doesn't use a MI, but SS ain't deep in 12+/MI's. Cause you probably need a SS to fill MI (2B sucks). I want one of the top 4 or Bogey because if I miss them I end up tempted to reach on one of Baez, Dansby, Moore, Semien, and Gimenez because I then need a 2nd one of them (or Solak/Edman/McMahon) at MI. 

Catcher is a position you can wait until the end, almost like pk's these days.  I play two catcher leagues, and years and years ago, I'd always grab two good catchers as I felt it was a massive advantage getting 1,000 - 1,110 ab's of above average production at a position vs the guy that got 700-800 ab's of poor production.  Those days are gone.  Now you are in the 20th round of a draft and you have 15 guys still available that are all rated about the same.
I've been zagging here. You're right about the past - catchers going early in the name of positional scarcity. But now most are doing this, so I think catcher ends up being a value. Strategy depends on 1C or 2C, but generally

*consider whoever is left among Grandal, Salvy, and W Smith if they fall outside the top 150

*or consider Sanchez, d'Arnaud, S Murphy, and Vazquez if they fall below 225

*dollar derby still works if you don't get any of them, but all of them have the ingredients to out produce the next group

Mondessi on the Royals is being drafted super early.  I think with the dearth of steals, someone in each league just wants to draft this guy and forget about it.  There are about 30 guys that can get high teens to 30 steals that are worth rostering so I'm just grabbing a few of those guys.  I never chase steals, always try to get mid-pack, never 1st, never last.
I'm only in one standard 5x5 and it's a 25 keeper, so he obviously isn't available but I understand the appeal in that format. If he fell below Bogey then I'd probably go for it. The SB guys that were falling a few weeks ago (Robles, Gimenez, Moore, Senzel) have been seeing market corrections lately. 3 of mine have obp though. And I ain't dealing with that at his price. Similar story exists with several other top 100 SB guys.

---

Overall, good stuff  :thumbup:  Hopefully with drafts wrapping up there will be more discussion in here.

1st pick in a 12 team 6x6 (QS and OBP, no wins)

Leaning to Cole, dumb?
Good format for him, but still not enough.

I never draft a SP inside the top 40.
Just to give you the other side this season the pool of difference making SPs seem amazingly shallow. If more arrive, it’s people you won’t guess right imo. I’m finding myself getting an ace around rd2 and then punting because I see such little difference between the SP35 and the never ending pile of ok streamer “depends on the matchup” types. 

1st pick in a 12 team 6x6 (QS and OBP, no wins)

Leaning to Cole, dumb?
Good format for him, but still not enough.
Ended going Acuna Jr. Here's my team. Definitely lacking in Saves and who knows where else...lol. I'm not the strongest in FB.

Travis d'Arnaud

Paul Goldschmidt

Whit Merrifield

Cavan Biggio

Marcus Semien

Ronald Acuna Jr.

Clint Frazier

Tommy Pham

David Fletcher

Christian Walker

Kevin Gausman

Shohei Ohtani

Freddy Peralta

Aaron Nola

Walker Buehler

Sandy Alcantara

Aroldis Chapman

Devin Williams

Tanner Rainey

Alex Verdugo

Josh Donaldson

Scott Barlow

Gavin Lux

Sean Murphy

Just to give you the other side this season the pool of difference making SPs seem amazingly shallow. If more arrive, it’s people you won’t guess right imo. I’m finding myself getting an ace around rd2 and then punting because I see such little difference between the SP35 and the never ending pile of ok streamer “depends on the matchup” types. 
I think I've found enough guys to stick to my normal strategy. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong, but it'd take an especially SP heavy draft for me to alter the plan:

SP1- Woodruff, Castillo, Snell

SP2- Lynn, Burnes, Ryu, Berrios, Plesac

SP3- Paddack, Bundy, Luzardo, McCullers, Musgrove, Gausman

SP4- Corbin, E Rod, Eovaldi, Montas, Stroman

SP5- Urquidy, Gonsolin, Yarbrough, Civale

Fliers- Paxton, Kluber, Eflin, Smyly, Odorizzi, Singer, Gore

Ended going Acuna Jr. Here's my team. Definitely lacking in Saves and who knows where else...lol. I'm not the strongest in FB.
I'm guessing the 6th pitching cat is holds and your lineup specs are 2 C + CI + MI + 3 OF + 1 U. Saves are certainly light with just one closer (is Wittgren available?), but I think HR/RBI is in a more troublesome spot. And maybe purge one of the MR's for another SP?

Hey guys, completed an auction in my first ever dynasty last night. Would love any thoughts. MLB depth is super weak, went very prospect heavy cause it the first dynasty and went crazy. Don’t love the scoring cats but they are avg, hr, rbi, r, sb, W, era, whip, K, Sv. Starting lineup C, 1B, 2B, 3B, ss, MIF, of, of, of, of, of, util. 12 teams.

Kept major leaguer +2 every year, kept minor league +1 yearly. Can’t even field a full lineup at the moment so I’ll have to go bargain hunting in FA now. Leftover draft dollars used for that, recoup half back of what you paid on cut players. Start with $400. Have a lot to learn about dynasty so curious on any thoughts anyone has on outcome or biggest need etc. 

MLB Bats:

Harper OF 41

Eloy OF 25

Yordan OF 34

Vlad Jr 1B/3B 37

Hiura 2B 18

Lux 2B/ss 11

Dylan Moore 2B/3B/ss/of 8

Posey C 1

Willie Calhoun OF 1

Dahl OF 1

Jorge Polanco SS 2

Astudillo c/1B/3B 1

Arms:

Luis Castillo 28

Mccullers 17

Sonny Gray 12

Civale 10

Dustin May 10

Brady Singer 7

Kikuchi 4

Pineda 4

Clarke Schmidt 1

Luke Weaver 1

Adrian Morejon 1

Garrett Crochet 6

Emmanuel Clase 7

Staumont 1

Matt Bush 2

IL Stash

Luis Severino 8

Sale 8

Clevinger 8

Andres Munoz 1

Minor Leaguers

Wander 22

Torkelson 12

Julio Rodriguez 15

Austin Martin 3

Corbin Carroll 1

Marco Luciano 2

Jasson Dominguez 1

I'm guessing the 6th pitching cat is holds and your lineup specs are 2 C + CI + MI + 3 OF + 1 U. Saves are certainly light with just one closer (is Wittgren available?), but I think HR/RBI is in a more troublesome spot. And maybe purge one of the MR's for another SP?
1 at each position, I went 2 C for depth. 4 U. Wittgren not available.

I will try to move a MR.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

End of bench SP stash in a QS and high pts for K's points league with weekly matchups.   I am looking in the old folks home here and am debating between Arrieta and Wainwright.  Who do you prefer?  

Looking at is a spot starter that has a decent chance at a QS and most K potential.  

Any thoughts on my 2-hour prep roto team? (12-teams)

Categories:  R, H, HR, RBI, SB, OPS, W, SV, ER, K, WHIP, K/BB

1.(10)Shane Bieber (Cle - SP)

2.(15)Freddie Freeman (Atl - 1B)

3.(34)Alex Bregman (Hou - 3B,SS)

4.(39)Kyle Tucker (Hou - OF)

5.(58)Cavan Biggio (Tor - 2B,3B,OF)

6.(63)Corbin Burnes (Mil - SP,RP)

7.(82)Raisel Iglesias (LAA - RP)

8.(87)Charlie Blackmon (Col - OF)

9.(106)Trevor Rosenthal (Oak - RP)

10.(111)Zach Plesac (Cle - SP)

11.(130)Willson Contreras (ChC - C)

12.(135)Max Kepler (Min - OF)

13.(154)Michael Brantley (Hou - OF)

14.(159)Marco Gonzales (Sea - SP)

15.(178)Alex Colomé (Min - RP)

16.(183)Carlos Correa (Hou - SS)

17.(202)Gio Urshela (NYY - 3B)

18.(207)Aaron Civale (Cle - SP)

19.(226)Trey Mancini (Bal - 1B,OF)

20.(231)Garrett Hampson (Col - 2B,SS,OF)

21.(250)David Fletcher (LAA - 2B,3B,SS,OF)

22.(255)Jordan Hicks (StL - RP)

23.(274)Brian Anderson (Mia - 3B,OF)

Too many shortstops - but really I kinda stole the ESPN rankings and patched them with Yahoo a bit and guessed :lmao:

Thanks for any thoughts :)

-QG

Any thoughts on my 2-hour prep roto team? (12-teams)

Categories:  R, H, HR, RBI, SB, OPS, W, SV, ER, K, WHIP, K/BB

1.(10)Shane Bieber (Cle - SP)

2.(15)Freddie Freeman (Atl - 1B)

3.(34)Alex Bregman (Hou - 3B,SS)

4.(39)Kyle Tucker (Hou - OF)

5.(58)Cavan Biggio (Tor - 2B,3B,OF)

6.(63)Corbin Burnes (Mil - SP,RP)

7.(82)Raisel Iglesias (LAA - RP)

8.(87)Charlie Blackmon (Col - OF)

9.(106)Trevor Rosenthal (Oak - RP)

10.(111)Zach Plesac (Cle - SP)

11.(130)Willson Contreras (ChC - C)

12.(135)Max Kepler (Min - OF)

13.(154)Michael Brantley (Hou - OF)

14.(159)Marco Gonzales (Sea - SP)

15.(178)Alex Colomé (Min - RP)

16.(183)Carlos Correa (Hou - SS)

17.(202)Gio Urshela (NYY - 3B)

18.(207)Aaron Civale (Cle - SP)

19.(226)Trey Mancini (Bal - 1B,OF)

20.(231)Garrett Hampson (Col - 2B,SS,OF)

21.(250)David Fletcher (LAA - 2B,3B,SS,OF)

22.(255)Jordan Hicks (StL - RP)

23.(274)Brian Anderson (Mia - 3B,OF)

Too many shortstops - but really I kinda stole the ESPN rankings and patched them with Yahoo a bit and guessed :lmao:

Thanks for any thoughts :)

-QG
I love picks 2 and 10.  Kind of meh on the rest.  In a non QS league, I would prefer using top 3 or 4 picks on hitters (especially given starting pitchers are expected to see a reduced workload this year).  It might just be me but I’m avoiding Bregman like the plague.  How much of his previous success was due to cheating?  Granted small sample size but we saw regression last year.  Tucker could become a stud (and a steal) but do I want to spend a 4th round pick on an unproven commodity?  I like Biggio in OBP leagues but again a little unproven to go that early.

End of bench SP stash in a QS and high pts for K's points league with weekly matchups.   I am looking in the old folks home here and am debating between Arrieta and Wainwright.  Who do you prefer?  

Looking at is a spot starter that has a decent chance at a QS and most K potential.  
There's a time and a place for old guys, but it isn't March. Now is the time of year to chase upside. 

I love picks 2 and 10.  Kind of meh on the rest.  In a non QS league, I would prefer using top 3 or 4 picks on hitters (especially given starting pitchers are expected to see a reduced workload this year).  It might just be me but I’m avoiding Bregman like the plague.  How much of his previous success was due to cheating?  Granted small sample size but we saw regression last year.  Tucker could become a stud (and a steal) but do I want to spend a 4th round pick on an unproven commodity?  I like Biggio in OBP leagues but again a little unproven to go that early.
Agreed with the concerns over picks 3-5, but Correa was theft and while I'd never pick an arm that early I like how the rest of the pitching was built. Offense needs more calculated risks though. I'd unload some of the safer types for guys like Dalbec, Rojas, Renfroe, etc.

Overall, it looks like a draft from someone that didn't prepare, but is also one that can be worked with. 

Thanks and :lmao: at me having FOUR Astros - it was funny because I thought of the cheating thing the whole time - but things were going so fast I really wasn't tracking that sort of thing.  Greatly appreciate the thoughtful reply :)

-QG

Agreed with the concerns over picks 3-5, but Correa was theft and while I'd never pick an arm that early I like how the rest of the pitching was built. Offense needs more calculated risks though. I'd unload some of the safer types for guys like Dalbec, Rojas, Renfroe, etc.

Overall, it looks like a draft from someone that didn't prepare, but is also one that can be worked with. 
Thanks for the thoughtful reply - I tend to be an early season scourer in terms of waivers so this draft is keeping in line with that - and at least it is more balanced than some of my previous bonkers ones.  I did try to be more conscious about sprinkler in the pitcher picks as I went so I appreciate the compliments.

When it's time for shuffling the roster who are the most disposable guys in terms of chasing waivers?

Looks like Cleveland will be my 3rd favorite team for the season given how much I bought into that pitching staff :)

Thanks again!

-QG

Thanks for the thoughtful reply - I tend to be an early season scourer in terms of waivers so this draft is keeping in line with that - and at least it is more balanced than some of my previous bonkers ones.  I did try to be more conscious about sprinkler in the pitcher picks as I went so I appreciate the compliments.

When it's time for shuffling the roster who are the most disposable guys in terms of chasing waivers?

Looks like Cleveland will be my 3rd favorite team for the season given how much I bought into that pitching staff :)

Thanks again!

-QG
Fletcher and Anderson. I don't think Hampson is starting, so I wouldn't be patient with him either despite the upside. 

MAC_32 said:
There's a time and a place for old guys, but it isn't March. Now is the time of year to chase upside. 
I have plenty of that.  Large rosters.  Looking for a high floor guy not a lot of upside left on the wire.

I have plenty of that.  Large rosters.  Looking for a high floor guy not a lot of upside left on the wire.
Logan Webb? Tarik Skubal? Freddy Peralta? Dane Dunning? Tony Gonsolin?

If the well is tapped that dry then I think playing matchups (Keller v TX?) would be optimal to just riding one of the old guys.

EDIT: Rodon too, didn't mention him because I intended to add him in pie, but @jamny got to him before I could put Carrasco on the DL.

If the well is tapped that dry then I think playing matchups (Keller v TX?) would be optimal to just riding one of the old guys.

EDIT: Rodon too, didn't mention him because I intended to add him in pie, but @jamny got to him before I could put Carrasco on the DL.
I've been a sucker for Rodon's potential since he was brought up. I think I've had him on my team at some point every year. Hopefully he can stay healthy and produce.

I've been a sucker for Rodon's potential since he was brought up. I think I've had him on my team at some point every year. Hopefully he can stay healthy and produce.
I think I generally do a good job resisting pitching prospects when they first come up the pipeline, but I have a soft spot for post hype sleepers...and especially post-post-post-post hype sleepers.

All of those guys are gone.

All of those guys are gone.
Gotcha - 'deep' has different meaning user-to-user. Those were my targets near the end of 400+ player drafts, so generally they're available in leagues that others consider 'deep.' I haven't scoured through waivers to create any watch lists yet, but when I do it'll be with that Keller strategy in mind. Once you get down to replacement types like Arrieta and Wainwright I think the matchup and recent performance is more meaningful than the actual pitcher.

Users who are viewing this thread