What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Occupy Wall Street (1 Viewer)

It worked out good for this lady.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/10/06/1023668/-Open-thread-for-night-owls:-victory-for-Rose-Gudiel?via=blog_1

Rose fell behind a few weeks on her payments after her brother was shot and killed. Her bank, OneWest, refused to accept her payment and then a rollercoaster of paperwork, bureaucracy and finally, denial followed. Rose has the income to pay if OneWest and Fannie Mae would cooperate, but they refuse. So last week she announced that she is is fighting her eviction by refusing to leave her home. She has been joined over the last week by family, neighbors and supporters ready to resist efforts by the LA County Sheriff’s Department to carry out the eviction.

Rose and supporters took a number of actions, including showing up at the bank chairman's mansion, at the Fannie Mae offices, and finally:

Right now, the intersection of Figueroa and 7th outside Bank of America has been overtaken by marchers and over 25 protesters are occupying Bank of America in downtown LA, they are refusing to leave until Bank of America commits to keep families in their homes, pay their fair share of taxes and help rebuild hard-hit neighborhoods.

Meanwhile, outside the bank, homeowner Rose Gudiel, a member of the Alliance of Californians of Community Empowerment (ACCE) and the ReFund California campaign, who was arrested at a Fannie Mae office in Pasadena protesting a foreclosure just made the following statement in front of over 1000 supporters:

“I’d like to announce that the bank called me today to arrange a meeting, to discuss a modification proposal from Fannie Mae. I have also learned that my eviction has been canceled. We are very happy that they have finally come to the table, and I hope they are serious about negotiating a reasonable modification, which is what I have been requesting for over two years. And I hope that they will change their policies to stop taking the homes the thousands of hardworking families facing preventable foreclosure. Thank you.”

Confronting the MalefactorsBy PAUL KRUGMANPublished: October 6, 2011There’s something happening here. What it is ain’t exactly clear, but we may, at long last, be seeing the rise of a popular movement that, unlike the Tea Party, is angry at the right people.When the Occupy Wall Street protests began three weeks ago, most news organizations were derisive if they deigned to mention the events at all. For example, nine days into the protests, National Public Radio had provided no coverage whatsoever.It is, therefore, a testament to the passion of those involved that the protests not only continued but grew, eventually becoming too big to ignore. With unions and a growing number of Democrats now expressing at least qualified support for the protesters, Occupy Wall Street is starting to look like an important event that might even eventually be seen as a turning point.What can we say about the protests? First things first: The protesters’ indictment of Wall Street as a destructive force, economically and politically, is completely right.A weary cynicism, a belief that justice will never get served, has taken over much of our political debate — and, yes, I myself have sometimes succumbed. In the process, it has been easy to forget just how outrageous the story of our economic woes really is. So, in case you’ve forgotten, it was a play in three acts.In the first act, bankers took advantage of deregulation to run wild (and pay themselves princely sums), inflating huge bubbles through reckless lending. In the second act, the bubbles burst — but bankers were bailed out by taxpayers, with remarkably few strings attached, even as ordinary workers continued to suffer the consequences of the bankers’ sins. And, in the third act, bankers showed their gratitude by turning on the people who had saved them, throwing their support — and the wealth they still possessed thanks to the bailouts — behind politicians who promised to keep their taxes low and dismantle the mild regulations erected in the aftermath of the crisis.Given this history, how can you not applaud the protesters for finally taking a stand?Now, it’s true that some of the protesters are oddly dressed or have silly-sounding slogans, which is inevitable given the open character of the events. But so what? I, at least, am a lot more offended by the sight of exquisitely tailored plutocrats, who owe their continued wealth to government guarantees, whining that President Obama has said mean things about them than I am by the sight of ragtag young people denouncing consumerism.Bear in mind, too, that experience has made it painfully clear that men in suits not only don’t have any monopoly on wisdom, they have very little wisdom to offer. When talking heads on, say, CNBC mock the protesters as unserious, remember how many serious people assured us that there was no housing bubble, that Alan Greenspan was an oracle and that budget deficits would send interest rates soaring.A better critique of the protests is the absence of specific policy demands. It would probably be helpful if protesters could agree on at least a few main policy changes they would like to see enacted. But we shouldn’t make too much of the lack of specifics. It’s clear what kinds of things the Occupy Wall Street demonstrators want, and it’s really the job of policy intellectuals and politicians to fill in the details.Rich Yeselson, a veteran organizer and historian of social movements, has suggested that debt relief for working Americans become a central plank of the protests. I’ll second that, because such relief, in addition to serving economic justice, could do a lot to help the economy recover. I’d suggest that protesters also demand infrastructure investment — not more tax cuts — to help create jobs. Neither proposal is going to become law in the current political climate, but the whole point of the protests is to change that political climate.And there are real political opportunities here. Not, of course, for today’s Republicans, who instinctively side with those Theodore Roosevelt-dubbed “malefactors of great wealth.” Mitt Romney, for example — who, by the way, probably pays less of his income in taxes than many middle-class Americans — was quick to condemn the protests as “class warfare.”But Democrats are being given what amounts to a second chance. The Obama administration squandered a lot of potential good will early on by adopting banker-friendly policies that failed to deliver economic recovery even as bankers repaid the favor by turning on the president. Now, however, Mr. Obama’s party has a chance for a do-over. All it has to do is take these protests as seriously as they deserve to be taken.And if the protests goad some politicians into doing what they should have been doing all along, Occupy Wall Street will have been a smashing success.

I have not been following this in the least bit and have no idea what their issues are, but can I lump them all together to characterize them and claim to know what their dubious motives are and identify the evil people they are puppets for?
I was thinking about checking out the movement but then I remembered its a lot easier to accept whatever I'm told and more entertaining to belittle them from behind a cpu screen.Ignorance is Bliss :thumbup:

Frankly, I don't know how you couldn't see corruption and greed among the top earners in our country. Do you disagree that corporations (and for sake of simplicity, the top earners that own/control them) have the ear of the government rather than the wider populace they claim to represent?
Are you suggesting the corruption and greed from those non-top income earners is just? Why are we all protesting against greedy behavior by anyone,(or envy or pride for that matter), regardless of socioeconomic or political status? Any argument for social justice woudl be bolstered if we didn't protest against greed in a discriminatory and hypocritical fashion, right?
Again, you need to stop focusing on personal economic issues. Of course there is corruption and greed in "the 99%." It does represent 99% of the population, afterall. But you're referring to personal issues like envy. That's human nature. When I refer to "corruption and greed" I'm referring to political corruption fed by economic greed. You've got to be trolling if you're implying that the 99% is buying off politicians to benefit themselves. If that were happening, there wouldn't be any protests.
Envy and greed are not simply personal matters. Groups, made up of people, reflect the virtue, or lack of virtue, found in their people; governments, businesses and protest movements alike. One form of greed or envy is no less harmful than another. Our national government is corrupted because our people are corrupted. Our business is corupted because our people are corrupted. Even those not running things continue to empower those who are; even if only through apathy.I salute the protesters for refusing apathy as a choice. However, based upon their corruption and limited field of vision, they are simply asking the populace, who's support they need, to support their flavor of corruption over that which they protest against.
The corruption of those who decide elections is a good place to start.
Voters?
Is your point that voters decide elections or that those elected abide by the will of the voters?
The former.

So this movement has gone viral in Los Angeles, Seattle...coming to a major metropolitan near you.

Suck it meat heads!

ETA:

We had Arab Spring, welcome to American Autumn!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had no problem with the tea party until they became part of the republican party.

I will have no problem with these people until they becore part of the democrat party.

These movements are great and really helpful so long as they don't become part of the problem.

Time to get the corporate money out of politics.

'St. Louis Bob said:
'pantagrapher said:
I'm late to this party but if we didn't bail out the banks and let them go bankrupt, these people wouldn't have a problem? Is that right?
Impossible to know, really.
If the banks weren't bailed out, a whole lot of these CEO's making millions would be out of a job right?
'D_House said:
I'm late to this party but if we didn't bail out the banks and let them go bankrupt, these people wouldn't have a problem? Is that right?
That actually sounds like the Tea Party.
That's what I'm not getting.Tea Party=No bail out, let them starve.OWS=We bailed them out and now they are stealing millions, eat the rich.They seem like they are sort of on the same page. :shrug:
I'm going to go ahead and declare myself winner of this thread.

'St. Louis Bob said:
'pantagrapher said:
If the banks weren't bailed out, a whole lot of these CEO's making millions would be out of a job right?
'D_House said:
That's what I'm not getting.Tea Party=No bail out, let them starve.OWS=We bailed them out and now they are stealing millions, eat the rich.They seem like they are sort of on the same page. :shrug:
This is true for most threads.

'St. Louis Bob said:
'pantagrapher said:
'D_House said:
The difference seems to be that OWS wants more government and the Tea Party wants less government.

'St. Louis Bob said:
'pantagrapher said:
'D_House said:
That's what I'm not getting.Tea Party=No bail out, let them starve.

OWS=We bailed them out and now they are stealing millions, eat the rich.

They seem like they are sort of on the same page. :shrug:
The difference seems to be that OWS wants more government and the Tea Party wants less government.
link? i'd love to see one of the signs that says this.

'St. Louis Bob said:
'pantagrapher said:
'D_House said:
This is true for most threads.
:hifive:

'St. Louis Bob said:
'pantagrapher said:
'D_House said:

Judging by their list of demands, it seems as if a lot of government intervention would be needed to attain those goals.

Judging by their list of demands, it seems as if a lot of government intervention would be needed to attain those goals.
:goodposting: Absolutely! The size of gov't would have to be larger than the private sector to meet their "demands".Few groups actually say "We want bigger government." But when they demand that gov't be involved in every part of our ives and be the majority provider of goods and services, what else are they really saying???

Last edited by a moderator:
'St. Louis Bob said:
'pantagrapher said:
'D_House said:

Two of the main goals of the movement—as far as I can tell—are to regulate the financial industry more closely and to raise taxes on the top 1%. That could be what he means by "more government."

:goodposting: Absolutely! The size of gov't would have to be larger than the private sector to meet their "demands".Few groups actually say "We want bigger government." But when they demand that gov't be involved in every part of our ives and be the majority provider of goods and services, what else are they really saying???
Not sure how much their demands have changed by now but here's a list that seems to require lots of governin'
Demand one: Restoration of the living wage. This demand can only be met by ending "Freetrade" by re-imposing trade tariffs on all imported goods entering the American market to level the playing field for domestic family farming and domestic manufacturing as most nations that are dumping cheap products onto the American market have radical wage and environmental regulation advantages. Another policy that must be instituted is raise the minimum wage to twenty dollars an hr. Demand two: Institute a universal single payer healthcare system. To do this all private insurers must be banned from the healthcare market as their only effect on the health of patients is to take money away from doctors, nurses and hospitals preventing them from doing their jobs and hand that money to wall st. investors. Demand three: Guaranteed living wage income regardless of employment. Demand four: Free college education. Demand five: Begin a fast track process to bring the fossil fuel economy to an end while at the same bringing the alternative energy economy up to energy demand. Demand six: One trillion dollars in infrastructure (Water, Sewer, Rail, Roads and Bridges and Electrical Grid) spending now. Demand seven: One trillion dollars in ecological restoration planting forests, reestablishing wetlands and the natural flow of river systems and decommissioning of all of America's nuclear power plants. Demand eight: Racial and gender equal rights amendment. Demand nine: Open borders migration. anyone can travel anywhere to work and live. Demand ten: Bring American elections up to international standards of a paper ballot precinct counted and recounted in front of an independent and party observers system. Demand eleven: Immediate across the board debt forgiveness for all. Debt forgiveness of sovereign debt, commercial loans, home mortgages, home equity loans, credit card debt, student loans and personal loans now! All debt must be stricken from the "Books." World Bank Loans to all Nations, Bank to Bank Debt and all Bonds and Margin Call Debt in the stock market including all Derivatives or Credit Default Swaps, all 65 trillion dollars of them must also be stricken from the "Books." And I don't mean debt that is in default, I mean all debt on the entire planet period. Demand twelve: Outlaw all credit reporting agencies. Demand thirteen: Allow all workers to sign a ballot at any time during a union organizing campaign or at any time that represents their yeah or nay to having a union represent them in collective bargaining or to form a union.

Not sure how much their demands have changed by now but here's a list that seems to require lots of governin'
Demand one: Restoration of the living wage. This demand can only be met by ending "Freetrade" by re-imposing trade tariffs on all imported goods entering the American market to level the playing field for domestic family farming and domestic manufacturing as most nations that are dumping cheap products onto the American market have radical wage and environmental regulation advantages. Another policy that must be instituted is raise the minimum wage to twenty dollars an hr. Demand two: Institute a universal single payer healthcare system. To do this all private insurers must be banned from the healthcare market as their only effect on the health of patients is to take money away from doctors, nurses and hospitals preventing them from doing their jobs and hand that money to wall st. investors. Demand three: Guaranteed living wage income regardless of employment. Demand four: Free college education. Demand five: Begin a fast track process to bring the fossil fuel economy to an end while at the same bringing the alternative energy economy up to energy demand. Demand six: One trillion dollars in infrastructure (Water, Sewer, Rail, Roads and Bridges and Electrical Grid) spending now. Demand seven: One trillion dollars in ecological restoration planting forests, reestablishing wetlands and the natural flow of river systems and decommissioning of all of America's nuclear power plants. Demand eight: Racial and gender equal rights amendment. Demand nine: Open borders migration. anyone can travel anywhere to work and live. Demand ten: Bring American elections up to international standards of a paper ballot precinct counted and recounted in front of an independent and party observers system. Demand eleven: Immediate across the board debt forgiveness for all. Debt forgiveness of sovereign debt, commercial loans, home mortgages, home equity loans, credit card debt, student loans and personal loans now! All debt must be stricken from the "Books." World Bank Loans to all Nations, Bank to Bank Debt and all Bonds and Margin Call Debt in the stock market including all Derivatives or Credit Default Swaps, all 65 trillion dollars of them must also be stricken from the "Books." And I don't mean debt that is in default, I mean all debt on the entire planet period. Demand twelve: Outlaw all credit reporting agencies. Demand thirteen: Allow all workers to sign a ballot at any time during a union organizing campaign or at any time that represents their yeah or nay to having a union represent them in collective bargaining or to form a union.
They should just move to Europe.

I hope they make this their main platform. They will be marginalized and ignored rather quickly.

They should just move to Europe.
Are we sure the Greeks don't have thousands of sleeper cells across the United States?

Protester: The government should take over the banks.Reporter: So, you think the banks should be nationalized.Protester: Uh......yeah.Reporter: But what if it's a Republican administration. Would that be a good thing?Protester: Republican? Uh......no. :lmao:
God Bless America...we even protect the morons, give them free money after they get fired, free education and bunch of other free #### they think they're entitled too because hard working guy next to him doesn't mind getting taxed a little more.I'm in for the "ship these clowns to Greece" fund...where do I start?

Demand eleven: Immediate across the board debt forgiveness for all. Debt forgiveness of sovereign debt, commercial loans, home mortgages, home equity loans, credit card debt, student loans and personal loans now! All debt must be stricken from the "Books." World Bank Loans to all Nations, Bank to Bank Debt and all Bonds and Margin Call Debt in the stock market including all Derivatives or Credit Default Swaps, all 65 trillion dollars of them must also be stricken from the "Books." And I don't mean debt that is in default, I mean all debt on the entire planet period.

This is an amazing amount of ignorance here. It makes me frustrated and sad.

I hope they make this their main platform. They will be marginalized and ignored rather quickly.
Admin note: This is not an official list of demands. This is a forum post submitted by a single user and hyped by irresponsible news/commentary agencies like Fox News and Mises.org. This content was not published by the OccupyWallSt.org collective, nor was it ever proposed or agreed to on a consensus basis with the NYC General Assembly. There is NO official list of demands.
http://occupywallst.org/forum/proposed-list-of-demands-for-occupy-wall-st-moveme/

Confronting the MalefactorsBy PAUL KRUGMANIn the first act, bankers took advantage of deregulation to run wild...
I keep asking which laws deregulating the financial industry were passed in recent years or which regulatory budgets were cut, but I never seem to get an answer. Since it's the main cog in the Democrat's narrative for the reasons underlying the recession, you'd think someone would have an answer to it. At best, you get some ill founded suppositions. Seems like the repeal of Glass-Steagall was the last major legislation that could be called 'deregulation'.

Demand eleven: Immediate across the board debt forgiveness for all. Debt forgiveness of sovereign debt, commercial loans, home mortgages, home equity loans, credit card debt, student loans and personal loans now! All debt must be stricken from the "Books." World Bank Loans to all Nations, Bank to Bank Debt and all Bonds and Margin Call Debt in the stock market including all Derivatives or Credit Default Swaps, all 65 trillion dollars of them must also be stricken from the "Books." And I don't mean debt that is in default, I mean all debt on the entire planet period.

This is an amazing amount of ignorance here. It makes me frustrated and sad.
Apparently they just got done watching Fight Club.

Confronting the MalefactorsBy PAUL KRUGMANIn the first act, bankers took advantage of deregulation to run wild...
I keep asking which laws deregulating the financial industry were passed in recent years or which regulatory budgets were cut, but I never seem to get an answer. Since it's the main cog in the Democrat's narrative for the reasons underlying the recession, you'd think someone would have an answer to it. At best, you get some ill founded suppositions. Seems like the repeal of Glass-Steagall was the last major legislation that could be called 'deregulation'.
I think that's the main one they don't like. Ironically it was Clinton who signed this into law, although it's the Republicans who get blamed for "deregulation which destroyed the economy".

Demand one: Restoration of the living wage. This demand can only be met by ending "Freetrade" by re-imposing trade tariffs on all imported goods entering the American market to level the playing field for domestic family farming and domestic manufacturing as most nations that are dumping cheap products onto the American market have radical wage and environmental regulation advantages. Another policy that must be instituted is raise the minimum wage to twenty dollars an hr.

Demand two: Institute a universal single payer healthcare system. To do this all private insurers must be banned from the healthcare market as their only effect on the health of patients is to take money away from doctors, nurses and hospitals preventing them from doing their jobs and hand that money to wall st. investors.

Demand three: Guaranteed living wage income regardless of employment.

Demand four: Free college education.

Demand five: Begin a fast track process to bring the fossil fuel economy to an end while at the same bringing the alternative energy economy up to energy demand.

Demand six: One trillion dollars in infrastructure (Water, Sewer, Rail, Roads and Bridges and Electrical Grid) spending now.

Demand seven: One trillion dollars in ecological restoration planting forests, reestablishing wetlands and the natural flow of river systems and decommissioning of all of America's nuclear power plants.

Demand eight: Racial and gender equal rights amendment.

Demand nine: Open borders migration. anyone can travel anywhere to work and live.

Demand ten: Bring American elections up to international standards of a paper ballot precinct counted and recounted in front of an independent and party observers system.

Demand twelve: Outlaw all credit reporting agencies.

Demand thirteen: Allow all workers to sign a ballot at any time during a union organizing campaign or at any time that represents their yeah or nay to having a union represent them in collective bargaining or to form a union.
Admin note: This is not an official list of demands. This is a forum post submitted by a single user and hyped by irresponsible news/commentary agencies like Fox News and Mises.org. This content was not published by the OccupyWallSt.org collective, nor was it ever proposed or agreed to on a consensus basis with the NYC General Assembly. There is NO official list of demands.
http://occupywallst....wall-st-moveme/
Thanks for posting this Dr.Pill. I thought those demands seemed rather extreme.

If demand 11 happens, I hope someone gives me a tip a few weeks ahead of time so I can make preparations

(Max out credit cards)

Thanks for posting this Dr.Pill. I thought those demands seemed rather extreme.
It was a list posted on their website. Just because it wasn't sanctioned by the protest organizers doesn't mean it isn't representative of what extreme elements want to achieve. They are doing a poor job, purposely or not, of setting up an agenda and message and leaving things open for anarchy. Does anyone here believe 100% that this won't become a violent protest at some point? Where's the direction?Say what you want about the Tea Party, but what they did is have gatherings with people speaking and uniting with a message. No violence, no widespread anger. They encouraged people to get into the political process by running for office to make change. This is just random, unorganized protesting to protest. With no agenda, what is the goal? And will there be agreement once an agenda is created, or is it too late?To borrow a phrase from Game of Thrones: "Winter's Coming"

I don't see how this thing doesn't end up looking like a failure. No one is going to give in to their "demands" and by characterizing this as an occupation pending action on their demands means at some point in the next few months we will end up with pictures of these occupation zones void of all but a few kooks.

Looking at their demands:

Money out of Politics? If they stuck to this it's a winner. I think people could have gotten behind that.

Regulating Wall Street? I think most people are going to say "didn't we just do that?" and there's not more than a few hundred people who could really understand if any change in regulations would truly make a difference.

Tax the 1%? Ok. We already knew a bunch of you wanted to do that.

The other stuff? Looks like a grab bag of left-wing causes that are too numerous and specific to be met.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: at almost all of this. I guess "free whiskey Friday", "kind herb Tuesday" and "BJ of the month from a celebrity of your choice" missed the cut.

Users who are viewing this thread