What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Odell Thurman (1 Viewer)

There must be something more to this. No way they cut him for skipping voluntaries (especially for tending to the funeral of his grandmother who raised him), and not after all their time and patience invested in him. I'm guessing he went on a bender in his grief.

I smell a grievance coming, quite possibly.

...for missing "voluntary" workouts, essentially due to attending his Grandmother's funeral in Georgia?

Say what you like about Thurman, but that just stinks.

I smell a grievance coming, quite possibly....for missing "voluntary" workouts, essentially due to attending his Grandmother's funeral in Georgia?Say what you like about Thurman, but that just stinks.
Zero chance that's all that's going on here. None.How often does the Cincy PD release their police reports?

I smell a grievance coming, quite possibly....for missing "voluntary" workouts, essentially due to attending his Grandmother's funeral in Georgia?Say what you like about Thurman, but that just stinks.
x2 That's low. I got 3 days off when my grandpa died in March... and those were not voluntary work days.

Zero chance that's all that's going on here. None.How often does the Cincy PD release their police reports?
He wasn't in Cincy, he'd been in Georgia.According to the article, it was "report to camp, or else."

There must be something more to this. No way they cut him for skipping voluntaries (especially for tending to the funeral of his grandmother who raised him), and not after all their time and patience invested in him. I'm guessing he went on a bender in his grief.
Add the fact that he would make 500K this year and 800K next year, something else is at play here, they wouldn't cut a backup at that rate. Odell is known for getting into trouble, it will trinkle down at some point what he has down wrong.

I love how the Bengals get kicked when they keep guys like this and kicked when they let them go.

Do I think more is at play? Probably. But it doesn't have to be trouble, it could very well be that he wasn't keeping them apprised of the situation. Or that he said he'd return at a given point and didn't.

I hope he gets it together, but I think it's ridiculous for people say the Bengals need to toughen up on these kinds of players and then when they do kick 'em anyway.

-QG

Odell's agent said they would not file a grievance, and that he's already been contacted by other teams.

Well, there ends the speculation that Keith Rivers would play outside next to Thurman in the middle. It looks like Rivers could start inside in a 4-3 after all, and that really ups his dynasty IDP value.

I love how the Bengals get kicked when they keep guys like this and kicked when they let them go.

Do I think more is at play? Probably. But it doesn't have to be trouble, it could very well be that he wasn't keeping them apprised of the situation. Or that he said he'd return at a given point and didn't.

I hope he gets it together, but I think it's ridiculous for people say the Bengals need to toughen up on these kinds of players and then when they do kick 'em anyway.

-QG
It's about when they get tough. If there's something more to it then fine, but if they cut him because he didn't return from taking care of his dead grandmother soon enough then it's a classless move.

Why do so many assume that something else is at play here? As AD said, couldn't it just be that the Bengals made a mistake?

Or that Thurman, after two years away from the NFL, just isn't football-ready, and they were looking for an excuse?

Or that Thurman, after two years away from the NFL, just isn't football-ready, and they were looking for an excuse?
While possible, I would think that teams don't need need an excuse to cut a player if he isn't working out. Maybe it's different for Cincy since they should have lower expectations for LB since theirs were so bad last year, but teams don't usually get to take the low road and bash players for missing time for funerals.When Minnesota was going to fine Williamson a game check for missing a game for his grandma's funeral, they got lambasted in the press and the team got pretty upset as well. They recanted, but I think that they tried to get away with it in the first place because he sucks.

After sticking with Odell Thurman through a two-year NFL suspension, the Bengals will announce by the end of business today that they are waiving the second-year linebacker from Georgia.
Waiver system: The procedure by which a player's contract or NFL rights are made available by his current team to other teams in the league. During the procedure, the 31 other teams either file a claim to obtain the player or waive the opportunity to do so, thus the term waiver. The claiming period is typically ten days during the off-season, but from early July through December, it lasts only 24 hours. If a player is claimed by two or more teams in this period, priority is based on the inverse won-lost standing of the teams. The team with the worst record has priority. If no team selects the player, he's free to sign with any team, including his previous employer. If no one signs him, he is unemployed; technically fired from the NFL. :shrug:

Not much more here:

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Troubled linebacker Odell Thurman was released by the Cincinnati Bengals on Monday, one month after he was reinstated by the NFL from a two-year suspension.

Thurman failed to attend the team's three voluntary workouts last week, when he was in Georgia following the death of his grandmother. The Bengals are installing a new defense, and wanted him to participate.

"I was just told by coach (Marvin) Lewis that he hadn't been in the building enough since his reinstatement, and they decided to go in a different direction," agent Safarrah Lawson said in a phone interview.

The move came one month after the Bengals released receiver Chris Henry following his fifth arrest, an indication that the team is taking a hard line on player conduct. Eleven Bengals player have faced criminal charges in the last two years.

Thurman, a second-round draft pick from Georgia, showed promise as a rookie in 2005, when he led the team in tackles and led all NFL rookies with five interceptions. He was suspended for the first four games of the 2006 season after failing to show up for a drug test. The punishment was extended to a full season when he was later arrested for drunken driving.

Commissioner Roger Goodell turned down his request for reinstatement and kept him out of football for the 2007 season as well. Thurman was allowed to resume working out with the team in January, and was fully reinstated on April 21.

Thurman had been working out at Paul Brown Stadium, but went to Georgia for the funeral of his grandmother, who had raised him. He was expected back last week for workouts, but remained in Georgia taking care of matters involving his grandmother, Lawson said.

The Bengals are installing a new defense under coordinator Mike Zimmer. They drafted Southern California linebacker Keith Rivers in the first round, and were looking at ways to shuffle their linebackers.

"The NFL provided Odell the opportunity to earn his way back onto our team, but we have not seen the right steps taken by him," Lewis said in a statement. "With our offseason work in progress and new talent added at our linebacker position, we've determined it's best to keep moving in a direction that does not include Odell."

Lawson was surprised by the release.

"Odell traveled a long, hard road to get back, to get reinstated," Lawson said. "It's unfortunate that, ultimately, the death of his grandmother sidetracked him and made football not the No. 1 priority over the last month."

I believe one of his earlier suspensions was the result of a no show to a drug test. The Bengals have hinted around about an addiction. Maybe their sources told them he was not exactly tending to his poor grandma's arrangements? It had been over a week. There is much more to this story. Whoever signs him may be waiting until 2009 to use him (at the earliest).

Question is will there be a waiver claim? My guess is no... team is gonna sign him near the minimum with some possibility of improving that through incentives.

Bush league if its true; I really do hope there is a grievance filed.

If he's anywhere close to his rookie form, he'll most certainly catch on somewhere.

I believe one of his earlier suspensions was the result of a no show to a drug test. The Bengals have hinted around about an addiction. Maybe their sources told them he was not exactly tending to his poor grandma's arrangements? It had been over a week. There is much more to this story. Whoever signs him may be waiting until 2009 to use him (at the earliest).
This is a very important fact to me. Reading that article it sounds as if the bengals gave him time to go to his grandmother's funeral but he was supposed to be back last week in time for OTA's. I can't see a legit reason why he was in GA for a week AFTER she had been buried.

Bengals | D. Jones expected to play middle linebacker

Mon, 19 May 2008 10:53:41 -0700

Mark Curnutte, of The Cincinnati Enquirer, reports Cincinnati Bengals LB Dhani Jones is expected to play middle linebacker this season. Jones is also expected to wear the in-helmet defensive communicator which was approved by the NFL last month.

That's pure guesswork.

Bengals | D. Jones expected to play middle linebackerMon, 19 May 2008 10:53:41 -0700Mark Curnutte, of The Cincinnati Enquirer, reports Cincinnati Bengals LB Dhani Jones is expected to play middle linebacker this season. Jones is also expected to wear the in-helmet defensive communicator which was approved by the NFL last month.
Dhani is a total NON TYPICAL Bengal.Very smart and polished as a person. And a bit under whelming as an athlete.

First, I hate the move. I think it is crap that they demanded his return the day after her funeral, I think it is stupid after waiting out the two years.

Second, Odell knew that his grandma was going to die since literally the day he got reinstated. So even though it is a major loss in his life, he should have been well prepared for it. It should not have taken him by surprise for the amount of things that needed to be done. And if that was the case, he needed to call the team himself and explained the situation.

Again, I don't think an ultimatum should have been presented by the Bengals in this scenario, but Odell should have been prepared and handled his absence better. Taking care of his family will be best done if he can provide for them financially, and getting back on the field and away from situations that can throw him back in bad habits is the best way to do that.

Bengals | D. Jones expected to play middle linebackerMon, 19 May 2008 10:53:41 -0700Mark Curnutte, of The Cincinnati Enquirer, reports Cincinnati Bengals LB Dhani Jones is expected to play middle linebacker this season. Jones is also expected to wear the in-helmet defensive communicator which was approved by the NFL last month.
Dhani Jones as your starting MLB? Ouch.

Was he even in the league last year? Well, if not, neither were any of their other options. Wow, the Bengals are just screwed. Another season of total defensive futility on the way.

Odell's agent said they would not file a grievance, and that he's already been contacted by other teams.
Hold the phone-THURMAN NOT RULING OUT GRIEVANCE YETPosted by Mike Florio on May 19, 2008, 7:01 p.m. Though Safarrah Lawson has indicated on 1530 the Homer in Cincinnati that former Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman won’t be filing a grievance in connection with the contention that he was released because he missed voluntary practices last week, Thurman’s agent, John J. “Lou” Michels, tells us that no decision has been made.And Michels’ position on the matter apparently carries more weight, since Michels is an NFLPA-certified agent, and Lawson isn’t.“Odell hasn’t decided whether to file,” Michels told us by e-mail. “We are waiting to consult with the NFLPA labor counsel, and looking at several options. One factor is that the Bengals have a pending grievance against Odell that still hasn’t been settled, and that may still have some monetary component to it. So we aren’t closing off any options yet.”-PFT

Last edited by a moderator:
knowledge dropper said:
If he was just a good kid attending his granny's funeral, then why did NOBODY in the NFL put in a waiver claim for a guy with his talen?
Some reports say he was waived and others say he was released. If he was wavied the claiming period is typically ten days during the off-season.

knowledge dropper said:
If he was just a good kid attending his granny's funeral, then why did NOBODY in the NFL put in a waiver claim for a guy with his talen?
Some reports say he was waived and others say he was released. If he was wavied the claiming period is typically ten days during the off-season.
Isn't the waived/released 'choice' based on tenure?It would raise a lot of flags for me (also) if he went unclaimed off the waiver wire.

That's pure guesswork.
You were saying?

Let's all pat ourselves on the back for guessing the obvious. :(

Too bad for ODell. Its a pity that someone with that much talent can't keep his head on straight.

It's amazing that this guy has the physical and mental abilities to play pro football yet he cannot comprehend basic laws.

Well all the Bengals were stupid for cutting this guy when they did shatter sure looks dumb at this point. What a waste of talent.

ESPN.com: NFL [Print without images]

Friday, June 6, 2008

League again suspends ex-Bengal LB Thurman, out for 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

Linebacker Odell Thurman, released by the Bengals on May 19, has been suspended indefinitely by the NFL, the league confirmed Friday.

Under terms of the suspension, Thurman will be out of football for his third consecutive season for violations of the NFL's Substance Abuse Policy. The league sent official notification to NFL teams Friday afternoon that Thurman will be suspended for the entire 2008 season.

"He will not be considered for reinstatement until after the 2008 season,'' a league spokesman said.

The NFL reinstated Thurman April 21 after missing the 2006 and 2007 seasons for violating the drug policy. Thurman returned to the Bengals facility after his reinstatement and began preparations for the 2008 season. His grandmother passed away May 12 and he left Cincinnati. When he didn't return a week later, the Bengals released him.

The Bengals didn't give a reason why he was released, but one of his representatives, Safarrah Lawson, told ESPN.com the release was because of a dispute with the team over the amount of time Thurman was away during the funeral.

A week later, a story surfaced Thurman had a violation that could lead to his indefinite suspension. On Friday, the league made that violation known and confirmed the suspension.

The 24-year-old Thurman was considered one of the best young linebackers in football in 2005. A second-round choice of the Bengals, Thurman was a candidate for Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2005, starting 15 games and making a team-high 106 tackles.

He was suspended four games in 2006 when he missed a scheduled drug test. On Sept. 25, 2006, Thurman was arrested on a DUI charge. After that, the league extended the suspension for the entire 2006 season.

The league extended the suspension for the 2007 season. Now, his career is in jeopardy after learning he will be out for three consecutive seasons.

John Clayton in a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

SANDUSKY, Ohio (AP)—Northern Ohio authorities were seeking former Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman on Friday on a felonious assault warrant.

The 25-year-old Thurman, of Cincinnati, was indicted last week by an Erie County grand jury on the charge, accusing him of punching a 19-year-old North Royalton man, the Erie County Sheriff’s Department said in a statement.

Police said Thurman punched the man in the face, breaking his jaw, on May 27 at Kalahari Waterpark Resort in Sandusky after they argued about a place in line.

Thurman’s agent Safarrah Lawson said he had been unable to speak to his client and could not comment on the charges. A message seeking comment was left late Friday with Thurman’s lawyer, John Michels.

Thurman was suspended indefinitely by the NFL in June after violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

Thurman sat out the last two seasons after skipping a drug test and getting arrested for drunken driving. He had been reinstated by the league in April, but the Bengals released him in May after he skipped a series of voluntary workouts.

Users who are viewing this thread