What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 1/6 Select Committee thread*** (1 Viewer)

Why would Trump want the National Guard to be protecting an object he personally wanted to protest?

I am not sure if I believe he tried to grab the wheel but I do believe he had full intention of being present as his followers marched on the Capital.

Oh come on!

What issue do you have with that?Trump attempted to get the national gaurd in the run up to January 6th.  The 'logic' in this thread is no one saw it coming.   But somehow this very forum had a large thread started a month prior warning a a huge protest on January 6th.  

You don't think even having a few hundred guardsmen would have prevented the so-called insurrection?.  Instead we had a few bicycle racks and some mall cops.  

But you have, over and over and over. Your counter to Orange Man Bad is Everyone out to get Orange Man which is the equivalent of saying Orange Man Innocent. Own it.

Uhm, no, it's not.  That's you making something up because I don't agree with everything that's going on.   You're frustrated, I get it.  You and everyone else want EVERYONE to feel the same way you do about this and I'm here to tell you that it isn't going to happen.  Not all of us are tightly-wound balls of emotion when it comes to Trump.

Frankly, we've been thru this before with your side of the aisle and most people are just tired of it.  You've basically martyred Trump at this point on all of the witch hunts with no results you've gone on.  I'm not even sure The Crusades themselves were as dedicated to the cause as your side is to get Trump.

You're going to have to be satisfied with the fact that I won't be voting for Trump anymore and that I think he's a shady ####er who should pay for his sins if something can be proven, but what's happening now isn't that.  We all have more important things in life and just because someone isn't as emotional as you about this 24/7, doesn't watch this 24/7 and doesn't agree with you 24/7 doesn't make them a Trump ApologistTM.

Tarrio told his men, to bring a level of order and professionalism to the group’s upcoming march in Washington on Jan. 6, 2021, that had, by his own account, been missing at earlier Proud Boys rallies in the city.

Over nearly two hours, Tarrio and his leadership team — many of whom have since been charged with seditious conspiracy — gave the new recruits a series of directives: Adopt a defensive posture on Jan. 6, they were told. Keep the “normies” — or the normal protesters — away from the Proud Boys’ marching ranks. And obey police lines.

“We’re never going to be the ones to cross the police barrier or cross something in order to get to somebody,” Tarrio said.

There was one overriding problem with the orders: None of them were actually followed when the Proud Boys stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6.

Far from holding back, members of the far-right group played aggressive roles in several breaches at the Capitol, moving in coordination and often taking the lead in removing police barricades, according to a visual investigation by The New York Times of hundreds of hours of video footage of the assault.

And despite what Tarrio said about keeping away from ordinary protesters, members of the group repeatedly instigated people around them in a tactic that some Proud Boys later described in private messages as “riling up the normies.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/26/us/politics/proud-boys-jan-6.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Tarrio told his men, to bring a level of order and professionalism to the group’s upcoming march in Washington on Jan. 6, 2021, that had, by his own account, been missing at earlier Proud Boys rallies in the city.

Over nearly two hours, Tarrio and his leadership team — many of whom have since been charged with seditious conspiracy — gave the new recruits a series of directives: Adopt a defensive posture on Jan. 6, they were told. Keep the “normies” — or the normal protesters — away from the Proud Boys’ marching ranks. And obey police lines.

“We’re never going to be the ones to cross the police barrier or cross something in order to get to somebody,” Tarrio said.

There was one overriding problem with the orders: None of them were actually followed when the Proud Boys stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6.

Far from holding back, members of the far-right group played aggressive roles in several breaches at the Capitol, moving in coordination and often taking the lead in removing police barricades, according to a visual investigation by The New York Times of hundreds of hours of video footage of the assault.

And despite what Tarrio said about keeping away from ordinary protesters, members of the group repeatedly instigated people around them in a tactic that some Proud Boys later described in private messages as “riling up the normies.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10973387/Girl-15-seriously-injured-attacked-shark-5ft-deep-water-Florida.html
What point are you trying to make by pasting this? 

Jon, if Trump wanted the national guard there, if he offered them days beforehand (per your argument) why didn’t he just order them there? Who was he offering them to, since he’s the President? That’s the flaw in your argument which @TheCommish pointed out. Please explain this. 

The people in charge of security at the Capitol (the Capitol Police and Congree who has authority over them) would have to approve having the gaurd present.  

Pretty hilarious.

The Biden "Best Ever" thread is perpetually crickets when it comes to liberals posting...but of course anything Trump-related becomes en fuego within minutes.

The people in charge of security at the Capitol (the Capitol Police and Congree who has authority over them) would have to approve having the gaurd present.  
You’re saying they have authority over the President of the United States? Can you back this up with evidence? (Both that Trump requested it and that the Capitol Police and Congress turned him down and that they have authority to do so?) TIA 

Just another tidbit of information.....there is ONE person who has jurisdiction over the DC National Guard along with delegation to the Sec of the Army.  If he wants the NG there, he makes it so.  No one else has say over how the DC National Guard is used.

I really need to write a macro about this.  I think this is the 5th or 6th time this fallacy has come up.
@jon_mx care to comment? This seems to refute your argument. 

While sycophant is an interesting word, I really don't see the point not just using brown nose as a more commonly used and understood description.  I am guessing the word must be one of the latest terms popping up in the news to sound more sophisticated when describing Trump's minions.
Well, it’s a word that’s been around for a while. I even used a form of it as a lyric in a Southern Slang original!

Well you’re a shameless silver-tounged sympathy-getter
Who never learned to be alone
A sycophantic faux-romantic always lookin’ for better
A long way gone from a life of your own

Bringin’ nothin’ to the table but a song and a story
And the finest chassis money can buy
A histrionic siliconic hung up on former glory
A long way gone from bein’ alive

trump and his cadre are not serious politicians leaders and are not seriously concerned with the united states just look here at the lograft of turds that the republican party has trotted out against cheney in wyoming frankly as a conservative myself i am embarassed that this is what is left of the republican party under trump take that to the bank brohans
I MIGHT be the wrong person to point this out but nothing says seriousness like the brohan shtick.

TV viewers for Cassidy Hutchinson testimony --

13.2M viewers across five nets (ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC)

Tops every 2022 NBA Finals game except for Game 6 (13.99M)

Those numbers are horrible.

Whatever Team Blue had against Trump at it's maximum, needed to be rolled out in the first five minutes of the first night of the J6 Hearings period.

Basic primacy/latency engagement in media optics spins differently here because the Democratic Party has gone after Trump for 7 years straight. The best way to explain this is to ask someone to watch Saving Private Ryan every single night of the year for a full 7 years straight.

Viewer engagement has a theme saturation point. That's industry reality. That's assessing human behavior. That's basic psychology at work. People aren't going to get so amped up about Fast And Furious when it hits it's 17th sequel when they dig to the center of the Earth and Vin Diesel is using a cane and drinking shots of Ensure.

The ENTIRE activist MSM is promoting the J6 Hearings. This is like a movie studio spending a billion dollars on marketing alone for a VHS direct to video release of Major League Part 4. Dennis Haysbert and Corbin Bernsen need new swimming pools. That's it.

Pretty hilarious.

The Biden "Best Ever" thread is perpetually crickets when it comes to liberals posting...but of course anything Trump-related becomes en fuego within minutes.
Keeping Trump out of office is infinitely more important than anything Biden has done or will do. Democracy depends on it.

I can't imagine Trump being able to lung for or at anything.  I'm old and couldn't either. lol
I wish I could find the tweet I saw from a former USSS member who said that Trump's "girth" wouldn't have allowed him to reach the front seat of that particular vehicle.

I could use some of that weight.  I would probably break every bone in my body if lunged not to mention the young, healthy, strong secret service trying to restrain me.

Pretty hilarious.

Keeping Trump out of office is infinitely more important than anything Biden has done or will do. Democracy depends on it.

:goodposting:

If anything it should prove the majority of us that know Trumpism is threat aren't also far left liberals that support anything and everything Biden does or says like Trump supporters in that in the thread.

And it’s been pointed out countless times that she didn’t testify that Trump tried to grab the wheel.
Yes and that's what protects her from perjury.
We really need to reconsider the law on this point. If someone critical of Trump can evade perjury charges merely by being truthful, that seems very unfair.

Uhm, no, it's not.  That's you making something up because I don't agree with everything that's going on.   You're frustrated, I get it.  You and everyone else want EVERYONE to feel the same way you do about this and I'm here to tell you that it isn't going to happen.  Not all of us are tightly-wound balls of emotion when it comes to Trump.

Frankly, we've been thru this before with your side of the aisle and most people are just tired of it.  You've basically martyred Trump at this point on all of the witch hunts with no results you've gone on.  I'm not even sure The Crusades themselves were as dedicated to the cause as your side is to get Trump.

You're going to have to be satisfied with the fact that I won't be voting for Trump anymore and that I think he's a shady ####er who should pay for his sins if something can be proven, but what's happening now isn't that.  We all have more important things in life and just because someone isn't as emotional as you about this 24/7, doesn't watch this 24/7 and doesn't agree with you 24/7 doesn't make them a Trump ApologistTM.
Im in the same group as you ,im not apologizing for anything he`s done, he`s a grown man and will answer for his transgressions some day  . I think the people who despise Trump cant fathom how he isnt universally despised and go to the extreme labeling those people . I wanted to see what Trump could do as President as he wasnt the status quo (Biden for example is the epitome of status quo ) ,i put his antics on hold as he tried to do everything he promised to do . Of course the democrats hated his policies as much as we loved them . He was attacked by the media and big tech like no President ive ever seen before . We are a tribe and we back our tribal leaders . I cant be bothered with what liberals and dems think of our leaders, just as they cant be bothered how we see people like Pelosi ,Biden and Schiff . I will vote for DeSantis because i see him as someone who will fight for my beliefs but without the crude language of a Trump. I also like Tim Scott as a person so he would be a choice as well .  As far as Jan 6th i believe Trump was as surprised as anyone what was happening but i also think that his ego is so big that he like ''wow ...i really am giant'' and kind of relished the event as proof of his popularity which seems very important to him. I hate what happened that day as it painted our party in a bad light, i wanted to be above the summer of love and those idiots who caused so much damage  protesting. If Trump planned the riots and was behind them ,then he should be punished to the full extent. If he is just guilty of holding a rally that turned into a riot due to things out of his control than so be it. Believing he won the election no matter the results isnt a crime ,but trying to overturn the results is a whole different issue . Im waiting for all the facts before i deem him guilty,so far it reminds me of the impeachments , a lot of hate fueled rhetoric with some truths mixed in, but the truths arent criminal ...yet

The post i replied to was saying they planned the attack ,i was adding some proof that they were told to act a certian way but didnt do what they were told ,they acted on their own (the foot soldiers that is ), if they listed to the organizers it probably wouldnt have turned out the way it did 

Im in the same group as you ,im not apologizing for anything he`s done, he`s a grown man and will answer for his transgressions some day  . I think the people who despise Trump cant fathom how he isnt universally despised and go to the extreme labeling those people . I wanted to see what Trump could do as President as he wasnt the status quo (Biden for example is the epitome of status quo ) ,i put his antics on hold as he tried to do everything he promised to do . Of course the democrats hated his policies as much as we loved them . He was attacked by the media and big tech like no President ive ever seen before . We are a tribe and we back our tribal leaders . I cant be bothered with what liberals and dems think of our leaders, just as they cant be bothered how we see people like Pelosi ,Biden and Schiff . I will vote for DeSantis because i see him as someone who will fight for my beliefs but without the crude language of a Trump. I also like Tim Scott as a person so he would be a choice as well .  As far as Jan 6th i believe Trump was as surprised as anyone what was happening but i also think that his ego is so big that he like ''wow ...i really am giant'' and kind of relished the event as proof of his popularity which seems very important to him. I hate what happened that day as it painted our party in a bad light, i wanted to be above the summer of love and those idiots who caused so much damage  protesting. If Trump planned the riots and was behind them ,then he should be punished to the full extent. If he is just guilty of holding a rally that turned into a riot due to things out of his control than so be it. Believing he won the election no matter the results isnt a crime ,but trying to overturn the results is a whole different issue . Im waiting for all the facts before i deem him guilty,so far it reminds me of the impeachments , a lot of hate fueled rhetoric with some truths mixed in, but the truths arent criminal ...yet

Not good enough. Name TEN things he did you don't approve of or you're nothing but a Trump ApologistTM.  And those ten things need to be ten things that only I approve of otherwise no dice.

But, in all seriousness, :goodposting: .  You hit the nail on the head.

This is exactly what's happening.

And it’s been pointed out countless times that she didn’t testify that Trump tried to grab the wheel.
Yes and that's what protects her from perjury.
We really need to reconsider the law on this point. If someone critical of Trump can evade perjury charges merely by being truthful, that seems very unfair.

That's why the smart people that love the United States refuse to honor subpoenas.  No way to perjure yourself if you don't even show up!

Those numbers are horrible.

Whatever Team Blue had against Trump at it's maximum, needed to be rolled out in the first five minutes of the first night of the J6 Hearings period.

Basic primacy/latency engagement in media optics spins differently here because the Democratic Party has gone after Trump for 7 years straight. The best way to explain this is to ask someone to watch Saving Private Ryan every single night of the year for a full 7 years straight.

Viewer engagement has a theme saturation point. That's industry reality. That's assessing human behavior. That's basic psychology at work. People aren't going to get so amped up about Fast And Furious when it hits it's 17th sequel when they dig to the center of the Earth and Vin Diesel is using a cane and drinking shots of Ensure.

The ENTIRE activist MSM is promoting the J6 Hearings. This is like a movie studio spending a billion dollars on marketing alone for a VHS direct to video release of Major League Part 4. Dennis Haysbert and Corbin Bernsen need new swimming pools. That's it.
Team Blue needed to get whatever they had on Trump out in the first five minutes of the hearing says the guy who has the longest posts and drags them on forever trying to make his point in the PSF. That is really rich.

I can’t think of a single conservative poster here who hasn’t posted something (multiple things) that are severely critical of Trump. GG, jonmx, BladeRunner, etc. have all criticized Trump. I think the suggestion that they are apologists who defend Trump no matter what is a bit unfair. I hope they (and every other conservative) vote for someone else in the primaries. 

What issue do you have with that?Trump attempted to get the national gaurd in the run up to January 6th.  The 'logic' in this thread is no one saw it coming.   But somehow this very forum had a large thread started a month prior warning a a huge protest on January 6th.  

You don't think even having a few hundred guardsmen would have prevented the so-called insurrection?.  Instead we had a few bicycle racks and some mall cops.  
Lots to unpack here-

• The 'logic' in this thread is no one saw it coming.   But somehow this very forum had a large thread started a month prior warning a a huge protest on January 6th.  
To an extent I agree with you here.  What happened being within the realm of what should have been expected.  I think those in charge should have been a lot less dismissive of the threat.  But for that to happen we need to stop the "both sides" nonsense which made the discussion of these threats just "team blue painting team red unfavorably."  Trump's his intelligence agencies just couldn't believe that Team MAGA could ever be unpatriotic so they minimized the threat assessment leading to Jan 6

• What issue do you have with that? Trump attempted to get the national guard in the run up to January 6th. 
That is irrelevant.  At best Trump's ego get stroked by him heroically using the national guard to stop an insurrection.   Maybe he could pull a Giuliani and say that he needs to remain until the crisis is resolved.   But I don't think for a minute that Trump didn't want to remain in office no matter how that happened.  An insurrection works just fine for him.

• .  Instead we had a few bicycle racks and some mall cops.  
Why the need to be disrespectful to those that defended the Capitol?  I am sure you have seen what they endured that day.  They were heroic, this comment is beyond pathetic 

• You don't think even having a few hundred guardsmen would have prevented the so-called insurrection?
Are they using their weapons?  If not I'm not so certain.  It looks like a lot more than a few hundred in the group photos of that day.

I can’t think of a single conservative poster here who hasn’t posted something (multiple things) that are severely critical of Trump. GG, jonmx, BladeRunner, etc. have all criticized Trump. I think the suggestion that they are apologists who defend Trump no matter what is a bit unfair. I hope they (and every other conservative) vote for someone else in the primaries. 

I am, even if it's a piece of tree bark.  :thumbup:

I'll tell you this, if someone asked me to list three things Biden is accused of that I accept, I wouldn't throw a hissy-fit. I'd just ####### list them. You might not be a Trump apologist, but you sure play a fine one on tv. 
Maybe change the question to list 3 things Trump was found guilty of that is acceptable 

im guessing the list is shorter than 3,like 0 perhaps

As far as Jan 6th i believe Trump was as surprised as anyone what was happening but i also think that his ego is so big that he like ''wow ...i really am giant'' and kind of relished the event as proof of his popularity which seems very important to him.

Do you think Trump was also as surprised as anyone about the plan to use fake electors to override legitimate electors?

Was Trump as surprised as anyone that, after the votes were counted, Trump fired at least a dozen federal officials to replace them with loyalists?

Was Trump as surprised as anyone about filing scores of completely baseless lawsuits to challenge the election results despite zero credible evidence of meaningful fraud by Democrats?

Was Trump as surprised as anyone about the time Trump pressured Michigan election officials not to certify the election results despite no evidence of fraud? Or the time his campaign tried to have local law enforcement illegally seize Michigan voting machines? (Or later, when his team wanted the National Guard to seize voting machines everywhere?)

Was Trump surprised about the time he called the Georgia Secretary of State to ask him to find enough votes to declare Trump the winner?

Was Trump surprised that he pressured Mike Pence to refuse to count all the electoral college votes?

The Capitol attack perpetrated by people Trump asked to go to the Capitol and fight like hell was one part of a whole range of tactics to keep Trump in power. I don't think Trump was surprised by any of it.

We all know that, had Trump brought in the National Guard before J6, there would be a chorus of accusations that Trump was about to declare "marshall" law.

Agreed.  I also think this committee needs to be very careful. Some witness could incorrectly state the color of tie Trump was wearing or what he had for lunch* and it could bring this whole thing crumbing down.  

*Though for lunch if they said Ketchup there’s a 98% probability they are correct. 

Do you think Trump was also as surprised as anyone about the plan to use fake electors to override legitimate electors?

Was Trump as surprised as anyone that, after the votes were counted, Trump fired at least a dozen federal officials to replace them with loyalists?

Was Trump as surprised as anyone about filing scores of completely baseless lawsuits to challenge the election results despite zero credible evidence of meaningful fraud by Democrats?

Was Trump as surprised as anyone about the time Trump pressured Michigan election officials not to certify the election results despite no evidence of fraud? Or the time his campaign tried to have local law enforcement illegally seize Michigan voting machines? (Or later, when his team wanted the National Guard to seize voting machines everywhere?)

Was Trump surprised about the time he called the Georgia Secretary of State to ask him to find enough votes to declare Trump the winner?

Was Trump surprised that he pressured Mike Pence to refuse to count all the electoral college votes?

The Capitol attack perpetrated by people Trump asked to go to the Capitol and fight like hell was one part of a whole range of tactics to keep Trump in power. I don't think Trump was surprised by any of it.
Again, i dont believe he orchestrated a riot at the Capitol, does  he indirectly hold some responsibility for the crowd that was there ,yes, but you just did what others keep doing,you quoted fight like hell and left out peacefully have your voices heard . If words matter than ALL words matter . Yes he did not accept the results as many of us didnt ,it looked shady and some of it still does . The pandemic was used to literally change voting laws , so people were already sceptical . It didnt take much to convince people on the right that there may have been cheating. So far it hasnt been proven . I dont even think about that anymore and have moved on . Trump probably asked some lawyers what his options are and they ill advised him . If he broke any laws im sure he will be punished , as bladerunner said earlier, if he did this would be in court ,not a show hearing.

Real question:

Do you want the chosen leader of your tribe to win no matter what, or because he or she or other has the best ideas and convinced more Americans to vote for him/her/other?

Because for me, democracy matters so much more than whatever tribal affiliations are. And what has happened, and continues to happen with Trump, is simply untenable. I won't drop it until he's criminally charged. Anything short of that is encouraging more of this anti-democratic behavior moving forward, which will eventually destroy this nation.

Jon, if Trump wanted the national guard there, if he offered them days beforehand (per your argument) why didn’t he just order them there? Who was he offering them to, since he’s the President? That’s the flaw in your argument which @TheCommish pointed out. Please explain this. 

Capitol Police Board is responsible for relations between their force and the NG.  There was NEVER a time where the Capitol Police Board told the NG to stand down and/or said couldn't come on premises.  I gave a link to the NG's view of what happened up thread.  Apparently that was a waste of time.  Everything regarding the NG is in their comments.....or just keep up with this narrative.  :shrug:  

ETA:  And that board has representation from both the senate and house.  If youre gonna dump this on Pelosi, McConnell has the same level of "pull"  

At least be complete in the misguided blaming. 

Users who are viewing this thread