What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 1st pick Thread (1 Viewer)

cacksman

Footballguy
Searched and never found a 1st overall pick thread. This thread can be for both PPR and non PPR leagues.

I drew the 1st pick in a 12 team PPR league that only starts 2 RBs and potentially 4 receivers.

I'm leaning towards AP just because he is a safe bet to finish top 5, but I have also considered Rice and Foster.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking for this too (maybe we can pin these threads now :whistle: )

Leaning towards AP but his line and WR situation give me pause. Foster is a beast and I don't think you would be wrong going with him. CJ28 needs to get back into camp ASAP. Ray Rice is moving up the board but I'm not sure I could pull the trigger on that if my draft was today.

Foster's hamstring is scaring me away a little. A lot can happen between now and the end of the month(which is when my draft is) and I hope the picture could be a little clearer by then

Just got the #1 in the FFPC....I have never ever got the #1 so this is nerve wracking. If 1.01 busts, I am in deep doo doo

I like going RB/WR/WR/RB from the 1 this year. The RB's generally thin out when 2.12 rolls around, but there are several high quality WR's still on board. I would be much happier taking D-Jax and Wallace than I would be taking Hillis/Blount. RB's available at the next turn should include Ingram and maybe D Williams, while the WR's drop off to Colston/Holmes/Steve Johnson level. One of Clark or Finley may fall as well, giving you an attractive TE target as well. Next turn, I;d be happy with a Beanie/Big Ben combo and then at 8.12/9.01 lock up Mike Thomas and Ryan Williams.

Possible Team

QB: Big Ben

RB: ADP, Ingram, Wells, R. Williams

WR: Wallace, D-Jax, Thomas

TE: Finley

I'd be happy with this team.

Going to go against the grain here and raise the possibility of taking ARodgers at 1.01 in a 12 team non PPR league that starts QB/RB/WR/flex/flex/PK/DT. I've never gone QB in the first round before (especially with the first pick) but I'm considering it for the following reasons...

1) This is the first year I can remember that all of the stud RBs have some baggage, and none of them represent the ultimate safe pick. I'm worried about AP's uncertainties at QB and WR, and think this may be the year his numbers take a dip (especially when you look at the D-lines in his division which he'll face twice each). Foster's injury and CJ's holdout make me nervous when I'm considering them at 1.01. Any of the other "lower-level tier one" RBs, such as Rice, MJD, Mendy, Gore are likely to hit their projected numbers, but don't strike me as being the locks to be worthy of the first overall pick.

2) I've always done well in my league finding value at WR later in the draft, and even on the waiver wire. I have no problem going QB/RB/RB/RB, and filling in at WR afterwards. If I get the likes of SGreen/Ingram/Blount/Bradshaw along with Rodgers, I'm confident I can find WRs to fill in a solid lineup.

3) Unlike a lot of people who see the top tier of QBs as being 6-7 deep, I see a drop off from Rodgers, who is my clear #1, to the other guys in the top group. GB's situation, even with everybody gunning for them as World Champs and with the sometimes-iffy weather at Lambeau, lends itself to another monster year for Rodgers. More stability at RB and the return of stud TE JFinley, in addition to continuity on the o-line, make me think Rodgers is a great bet, barring injury, to better his lofty numbers from last year. I see him as having very little downside.

On the other hand, I doubt Vick will repeat the insane numbers he put up last year, now that defenses around the league have seen him run Reid's offense for a year. He also gets the NFC east and AFC east matchups, and should be better defensed. I expect him to be very good at times, but less consistent and less predictable. Brady and Brees remain in good situations and should be solid QB1's, but I don't expect them to repeat the level of success they had last year. Manning has team and injury issues. Romo and Rivers are in good situations and are poised to have good years also, but I don't like their upside as much as Rodgers.

4) In my league, the tendency to go RB heavy early has gotten less and less each year, so that in recent years a great number of QBs and WRs have gone off the board in rounds one and two. I wouldn't be surprised if six or seven of these QBs, and at least 4-5 WRs, are gone by the 2/3 turn. This means two things to me that may not apply to other leagues...

I can't go RB/RB/WR/WR and get Rivers or Romo in the fifth. The difference in draft position in my league from QB1 to QB7 may only be about 15-20 picks. This skews VBD more heavily toward QBs, and less towards other skill positions;

If 10 or more picks in rounds 1 and 2 go to QBs and WRs, I get a ton of value drafting RBs at the 2/3 turn.

We all know that this is a different kind of year. Question marks at the top of the RB food chain, an ultra-stud can't-miss QB, and tendencies in my league that will enable me to get great value later in the draft, make this the year that going QB early may make sense.

Foster - is not "injury prone", he's had injuries like every RB in history. One of which, he played thru all of last season with and still destroyed all others.

His O-line is good enough to get me about 800yds rushing and 6tds... Weapons at WR, TE and QB make stacking the box nearly impossible. The situation is too great for Foster... and despite the "1yr wonder" taunts, Foster has shone in every opportunity he's been given in the bigs, dating back to 2 seasons ago. He is the real deal and a SAFE #1 pick.

You really need to look at your league starting requirements and scoring, more than just ppr vs. non-ppr.

The biggest benefit is what you can take at the second turn at the bottom of the second and top of the third.

If possible, look at your league's history to see what may be there for you at the critical second turn.

For me, I have the first pick in my local league, which is ppr and I am probably going to go with Adrian Peterson. I think that their new staff realizes what they have and will involve him more in the passing game than the previous several years.

Best of luck to all as they consider this important choice at the beginning of the draft.

Foster - is not "injury prone", he's had injuries like every RB in history. One of which, he played thru all of last season with and still destroyed all others.His O-line is good enough to get me about 800yds rushing and 6tds... Weapons at WR, TE and QB make stacking the box nearly impossible. The situation is too great for Foster... and despite the "1yr wonder" taunts, Foster has shone in every opportunity he's been given in the bigs, dating back to 2 seasons ago. He is the real deal and a SAFE #1 pick.
Hopefully Foster will be able to show he is completely healthy by the end of pre season. If that is the case, I may have to go Foster because of PPR.

You really need to look at your league starting requirements and scoring, more than just ppr vs. non-ppr.The biggest benefit is what you can take at the second turn at the bottom of the second and top of the third.If possible, look at your league's history to see what may be there for you at the critical second turn.For me, I have the first pick in my local league, which is ppr and I am probably going to go with Adrian Peterson. I think that their new staff realizes what they have and will involve him more in the passing game than the previous several years.Best of luck to all as they consider this important choice at the beginning of the draft.
Foster had 66 catches last year. That is a WR2 in many leagues....how can you not take someone who gives you an extra WR2 and such an advantage over others. Even if Foster misses a couple of games, 50 catches from your RB1 is pretty good in a PPR league. And no, AP will never do that. And AP gets the Bears, Det and GB DL twice a year with no QB this year to stretch the field. Also, when the FF playoffs roll around, it is almost a given that Ponder will be the QB. How can you expect anything from your RB then when you need him most?

Foster - is not "injury prone", he's had injuries like every RB in history. One of which, he played thru all of last season with and still destroyed all others.His O-line is good enough to get me about 800yds rushing and 6tds... Weapons at WR, TE and QB make stacking the box nearly impossible. The situation is too great for Foster... and despite the "1yr wonder" taunts, Foster has shone in every opportunity he's been given in the bigs, dating back to 2 seasons ago. He is the real deal and a SAFE #1 pick.
Hopefully Foster will be able to show he is completely healthy by the end of pre season. If that is the case, I may have to go Foster because of PPR.
Any idea of Foster will see the field on Monday? Could be a great indicatorHamstring tightness is very common among athletes in preseason training - VERY common. I'm not too worried myself unless something changes. Peterson has been a dream of mine for ages - Ive never had the no1 pick, and I finally do. Problem is, with a weak QB, weak WRs, and an aged and underwhelming o-line... Peterson doesnt have the appeal he once did for my #1 pick. Even tho he's done it before, the o-line was still making holes.

You really need to look at your league starting requirements and scoring, more than just ppr vs. non-ppr.The biggest benefit is what you can take at the second turn at the bottom of the second and top of the third.If possible, look at your league's history to see what may be there for you at the critical second turn.For me, I have the first pick in my local league, which is ppr and I am probably going to go with Adrian Peterson. I think that their new staff realizes what they have and will involve him more in the passing game than the previous several years.Best of luck to all as they consider this important choice at the beginning of the draft.
Foster had 66 catches last year. That is a WR2 in many leagues....how can you not take someone who gives you an extra WR2 and such an advantage over others. Even if Foster misses a couple of games, 50 catches from your RB1 is pretty good in a PPR league. And no, AP will never do that. And AP gets the Bears, Det and GB DL twice a year with no QB this year to stretch the field. Also, when the FF playoffs roll around, it is almost a given that Ponder will be the QB. How can you expect anything from your RB then when you need him most?
Peterson had 43 catches in 09 and 36 last year in 15 games. I believe his reception number could go up closer to 50 with McNabb and/or Ponder at QB. While that number is well under the 66 that Foster had a year ago, Peterson has sustained his running successs over his four year career and that gives me a factor of safety, not even addressing the fact that Foster has had hamstring issues that needs to be a concern.Both are very solid picks and neither would be the wrong answer in my opinion.

Foster has easier schedule (Titans lost their best DL; Indy and Jax are cake Ds while ADP gets the always getting better Packers; Lions and Bears D/DL); Foster will get mote TD opportunities given he is on the better O with better surrounding weapons and Foster will get more catches. Again, I would not think twice if I had 1.01. I have it in fact tonight in the FFPC draft which is a PPR. Not even thinking twice and going with Foster for sure. Hammies be damned :)

I have the number two pick ,not one, and currently and stuck between Peterson and Rice. I prefer them to Foster even if he is there given their longer track records, departure of Leach, and Foster's hamstring. Mine is a slow draft staring Monday, so pre-season won't help me. I expect to be going back and forth on the other two until I draft. (League gives 1pt per rec., 1pt per 5 rushes)

I have the number two pick and currently and stuck between Peterson and Rice. I prefer them to Foster even if he is there given their longer track records, departure of Leach, and Foster's hamstring. Mine is a slow draft staring Monday, so pre-season won't help me. I expect to be going back and forth on the other two until I draft
This may sound ludicrous.... But Rice would be a very wise choice over Peterson. If I had the make the choice, I dunno if I could do it... My head would say "Rice" but my heart would say "Peterson"

LOL, thx for making it harder for me. ;) I'm sort of hoping the person ahead of me takes one of them instead of Foster.

ETA- I had Peterson my 1st year in this league two years ago (#1 pick) and made it to championship plus got high points, so that may cloud my judgement, also.

I like going RB/WR/WR/RB from the 1 this year. The RB's generally thin out when 2.12 rolls around, but there are several high quality WR's still on board. I would be much happier taking D-Jax and Wallace than I would be taking Hillis/Blount. RB's available at the next turn should include Ingram and maybe D Williams, while the WR's drop off to Colston/Holmes/Steve Johnson level. One of Clark or Finley may fall as well, giving you an attractive TE target as well. Next turn, I;d be happy with a Beanie/Big Ben combo and then at 8.12/9.01 lock up Mike Thomas and Ryan Williams.
As said, I have 2nd slot, not first, but was playing around with possibile rosters today and one was similar to your.Ntot sure Ben will make it o me, which would put me into going for a QBBC situation of 2 of Freeman/Bradford/Cutler. Also was looking at Witten over Finley or wait until late and take a chance on Winslow or Gonzales outperforming their ADP.

Just finished drafting from 1.01 in the FFPC ($350 buy in). Remember they have 1.5 pts/catch for TEs

1.01 Arian Foster

2.12 Antonio Gates

3.01 Reggie Wayne

4.12 Cedric Benson (serious run on RBs so had to secure RB2 here; other options were Fred Jackson; Daniel Thomas Miami ....Ryan Grant just went before me)

5.01 Peyton Manning (serious value here since only 2 QBs were gone and I figured a QB run was coming before it got to me).

6.12 Fred Jackson

7.01 Kenny Britt

8.12 Lance Moore

9.01 Ryan Torain

10.12 Chris Cooley

11.01 Matt Ryan

12.12 Roy Helu (RB Skins)

13.01 Michael Crabtree

14.12 Bears D/ST (Homer pick :) )

15.01 Denarius Moore (WR Oakland)

16.12 Kyle Rudolph TE Minny

17.01 Alex Green RB GB

18.12 Alex Henery K Eagles

19.01 Jabbar Gaffney WR Skins

20.12 San Fran D/ST

QB: Peyton Manning; Matt Ryan

RB: Arian Foster; Cedric Bencon; Fred Jackson; Ryan Torain; Roy Helu (Wash); Alex Green (GB)

WR: Reggie Wayne; Kenny Britt; Lance Moore; Michael Crabtree; Denarius Moore (oak); Jabbar Gaffney

TE: Gates; Chris Cooley; Kyle Rudolph

D/ST: Bears; Niners

K: Alex Henery

I would go RB/WR/RB

Something like

Foster

Vincent Jackson

Turner

Here is my strategy for #1 this year. A little background: I drew #1 in my 12 team PPR (20 roster spots, start QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, No Flex, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DST, no negatives in scoring, 6 pts all TDs.) 11th year Re-draft league, and I've borderline dominated this league over the years, usually by having a very strong WR trio (and have often drafted late which helped facilitate that.) However this year, I have #1, and I'm not looking to move this year due to what I perceive to be a truly elite corps of #1 RB that only goes 6 deep before you drop off into some garbage. So I'm staying #1, and here is my gameplan:

#1 overall: The decision is Foster or Peterson for me. Foster may have a higher ceiling due to the catch numbers, but Peterson is the only RB in the NFL to repeat in the top 5-10 (depending on scoring system) over the last 5 years. That is insanely valuable and comforting given the yearly 45%ish repeat rate of the top 10 RBs in Fantasy. I would say the decision between Foster & Peterson should depend on your plans for the rest of your draft, which I'll get to here in a bit.

2-3 Turn: I'll be selecting 2 of the following, assuming 2 are available: Vincent Jackson, Miles Austin, and Mike Wallace. As I stated in my background section above, it is VERY important in my league to have 1 of the, if not THE best WR trio in the league if you have any plans of dominating. Obviously I won't be able to get my hands on that top tier of WR, but I'll do my damndest to build a trio of guys that I believe could end up there, and put up monster numbers on a week to week basis. As of now I have those 3 ranked in the way I displayed them. The only wrench in this plan is in the event of Michael Turner or Steven Jackson dropping to me at the turn. I feel almost forced to take them, although it has not happened too often in Mock Drafts.

4-5 Turn: Here I hope to get one of my top 4 TEs (Gates, Clark, Finley, Witten) and hopefully one of the last of my top 7 QBs (Vick, Rodgers, Rivers, Brees, Brady, Manning, Romo) and often times end up seeing Witten & Romo in this spot, and will gladly take them and the little combo bonus. If I miss out on TE or QB, I'll take my 3rd WR (Santonio, Dez Bryant, and if they're gone, would even reach for Manningham to make sure I get him) or my RB2 (although highly unlikely, as Deangello is about the only one I like here, and he rarely slides.) I'd say TE and QB make it there about 80% of the time.

*Quick break* This leads me back to the #1 overall pick. As you can see, RB2 is not a priority for me. I feel that in a 3WR start PPR league that RB2 is the position you can afford to be the "weakest" at, or have the most questions at. Because of this, I'll be taking Adrian Peterson, as I feel he is a better ANCHOR to build your RB corps around if you're content (as I am) with having questions at RB2.

6-7 Turn: So at this point we'll work with my roster of A. Peterson, V. Jackson, M. Wallace, J. Witten, and T. Romo. I'll target my WR3 and RB2 here, but if the RB2s aren't to my liking here, I may very well take 2 WRs. This is the make or break point now for Manningham. If he is here at 6-7, he is automatically on my team, roster build be damned. So in this situation, I'll take Manningham, and lets say best case scenario for RB is Fred Jackson. I really like Jackson as an RB2 paired with Peterson, but its only about 50% of the time I see him there. After Jackson I'd consider Joseph Addai, Mike Tolbert, and maybe Ryan Williams depending on if he gets first team reps in the pre-season or not. Addai is as boring as it gets, but he does what he does.

I'll stop things here, because forecasting a draft at this point (and probably the 2 rounds that I did prior) just gets silly because it is impossible and so specific to your league. However, I would gladly go into battle in my scoring format with the team of...

QB T. Romo

RB A. Peterson, RB F. Jackson

WR V. Jackson, WR M. Wallace, WR M. Manningham

TE J. Witten

...And feel very confident that I would be one of the best teams out on week 1. Just my two cents on my draft strategy from #1.

tl;dr Depending on your draft strategy, its Foster or Peterson. For me, I'm taking the ANCHOR of my team as Adrian Peterson.

tl;dr Depending on your draft strategy, its Foster or Peterson. For me, I'm taking the ANCHOR of my team as Adrian Peterson.
Just can't bring myself to look past that geriatric o-line, weak qb, weak wr, tough-as-nails division combo.Peterson can overcome most everything, but for my no1, it's Foster. Peterson would gladly be my no2... but come draft time, maybe even Rice may be ahead of AP for me. (wont matter, cuz im no1)

Here is my strategy for #1 this year. A little background: I drew #1 in my 12 team PPR (20 roster spots, start QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, No Flex, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DST, no negatives in scoring, 6 pts all TDs.) 11th year Re-draft league, and I've borderline dominated this league over the years, usually by having a very strong WR trio (and have often drafted late which helped facilitate that.) However this year, I have #1, and I'm not looking to move this year due to what I perceive to be a truly elite corps of #1 RB that only goes 6 deep before you drop off into some garbage. So I'm staying #1, and here is my gameplan:#1 overall: The decision is Foster or Peterson for me. Foster may have a higher ceiling due to the catch numbers, but Peterson is the only RB in the NFL to repeat in the top 5-10 (depending on scoring system) over the last 5 years. That is insanely valuable and comforting given the yearly 45%ish repeat rate of the top 10 RBs in Fantasy. I would say the decision between Foster & Peterson should depend on your plans for the rest of your draft, which I'll get to here in a bit.2-3 Turn: I'll be selecting 2 of the following, assuming 2 are available: Vincent Jackson, Miles Austin, and Mike Wallace. As I stated in my background section above, it is VERY important in my league to have 1 of the, if not THE best WR trio in the league if you have any plans of dominating. Obviously I won't be able to get my hands on that top tier of WR, but I'll do my damndest to build a trio of guys that I believe could end up there, and put up monster numbers on a week to week basis. As of now I have those 3 ranked in the way I displayed them. The only wrench in this plan is in the event of Michael Turner or Steven Jackson dropping to me at the turn. I feel almost forced to take them, although it has not happened too often in Mock Drafts.4-5 Turn: Here I hope to get one of my top 4 TEs (Gates, Clark, Finley, Witten) and hopefully one of the last of my top 7 QBs (Vick, Rodgers, Rivers, Brees, Brady, Manning, Romo) and often times end up seeing Witten & Romo in this spot, and will gladly take them and the little combo bonus. If I miss out on TE or QB, I'll take my 3rd WR (Santonio, Dez Bryant, and if they're gone, would even reach for Manningham to make sure I get him) or my RB2 (although highly unlikely, as Deangello is about the only one I like here, and he rarely slides.) I'd say TE and QB make it there about 80% of the time. *Quick break* This leads me back to the #1 overall pick. As you can see, RB2 is not a priority for me. I feel that in a 3WR start PPR league that RB2 is the position you can afford to be the "weakest" at, or have the most questions at. Because of this, I'll be taking Adrian Peterson, as I feel he is a better ANCHOR to build your RB corps around if you're content (as I am) with having questions at RB2. 6-7 Turn: So at this point we'll work with my roster of A. Peterson, V. Jackson, M. Wallace, J. Witten, and T. Romo. I'll target my WR3 and RB2 here, but if the RB2s aren't to my liking here, I may very well take 2 WRs. This is the make or break point now for Manningham. If he is here at 6-7, he is automatically on my team, roster build be damned. So in this situation, I'll take Manningham, and lets say best case scenario for RB is Fred Jackson. I really like Jackson as an RB2 paired with Peterson, but its only about 50% of the time I see him there. After Jackson I'd consider Joseph Addai, Mike Tolbert, and maybe Ryan Williams depending on if he gets first team reps in the pre-season or not. Addai is as boring as it gets, but he does what he does.I'll stop things here, because forecasting a draft at this point (and probably the 2 rounds that I did prior) just gets silly because it is impossible and so specific to your league. However, I would gladly go into battle in my scoring format with the team of...QB T. RomoRB A. Peterson, RB F. JacksonWR V. Jackson, WR M. Wallace, WR M. ManninghamTE J. Witten...And feel very confident that I would be one of the best teams out on week 1. Just my two cents on my draft strategy from #1. tl;dr Depending on your draft strategy, its Foster or Peterson. For me, I'm taking the ANCHOR of my team as Adrian Peterson.
:goodposting: That's what I'm talking about.

Here is my strategy for #1 this year. A little background: I drew #1 in my 12 team PPR (20 roster spots, start QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, No Flex, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DST, no negatives in scoring, 6 pts all TDs.) 11th year Re-draft league, and I've borderline dominated this league over the years, usually by having a very strong WR trio (and have often drafted late which helped facilitate that.) However this year, I have #1, and I'm not looking to move this year due to what I perceive to be a truly elite corps of #1 RB that only goes 6 deep before you drop off into some garbage. So I'm staying #1, and here is my gameplan:

#1 overall: The decision is Foster or Peterson for me. Foster may have a higher ceiling due to the catch numbers, but Peterson is the only RB in the NFL to repeat in the top 5-10 (depending on scoring system) over the last 5 years. That is insanely valuable and comforting given the yearly 45%ish repeat rate of the top 10 RBs in Fantasy. I would say the decision between Foster & Peterson should depend on your plans for the rest of your draft, which I'll get to here in a bit.

2-3 Turn: I'll be selecting 2 of the following, assuming 2 are available: Vincent Jackson, Miles Austin, and Mike Wallace. As I stated in my background section above, it is VERY important in my league to have 1 of the, if not THE best WR trio in the league if you have any plans of dominating. Obviously I won't be able to get my hands on that top tier of WR, but I'll do my damndest to build a trio of guys that I believe could end up there, and put up monster numbers on a week to week basis. As of now I have those 3 ranked in the way I displayed them. The only wrench in this plan is in the event of Michael Turner or Steven Jackson dropping to me at the turn. I feel almost forced to take them, although it has not happened too often in Mock Drafts.

4-5 Turn: Here I hope to get one of my top 4 TEs (Gates, Clark, Finley, Witten) and hopefully one of the last of my top 7 QBs (Vick, Rodgers, Rivers, Brees, Brady, Manning, Romo) and often times end up seeing Witten & Romo in this spot, and will gladly take them and the little combo bonus. If I miss out on TE or QB, I'll take my 3rd WR (Santonio, Dez Bryant, and if they're gone, would even reach for Manningham to make sure I get him) or my RB2 (although highly unlikely, as Deangello is about the only one I like here, and he rarely slides.) I'd say TE and QB make it there about 80% of the time.

*Quick break* This leads me back to the #1 overall pick. As you can see, RB2 is not a priority for me. I feel that in a 3WR start PPR league that RB2 is the position you can afford to be the "weakest" at, or have the most questions at. Because of this, I'll be taking Adrian Peterson, as I feel he is a better ANCHOR to build your RB corps around if you're content (as I am) with having questions at RB2.

6-7 Turn: So at this point we'll work with my roster of A. Peterson, V. Jackson, M. Wallace, J. Witten, and T. Romo. I'll target my WR3 and RB2 here, but if the RB2s aren't to my liking here, I may very well take 2 WRs. This is the make or break point now for Manningham. If he is here at 6-7, he is automatically on my team, roster build be damned. So in this situation, I'll take Manningham, and lets say best case scenario for RB is Fred Jackson. I really like Jackson as an RB2 paired with Peterson, but its only about 50% of the time I see him there. After Jackson I'd consider Joseph Addai, Mike Tolbert, and maybe Ryan Williams depending on if he gets first team reps in the pre-season or not. Addai is as boring as it gets, but he does what he does.

I'll stop things here, because forecasting a draft at this point (and probably the 2 rounds that I did prior) just gets silly because it is impossible and so specific to your league. However, I would gladly go into battle in my scoring format with the team of...

QB T. Romo

RB A. Peterson, RB F. Jackson

WR V. Jackson, WR M. Wallace, WR M. Manningham

TE J. Witten

...And feel very confident that I would be one of the best teams out on week 1. Just my two cents on my draft strategy from #1.

Thanks for sharing! Great post!

Assume a 12 team.

PPR - I might swing for the fences and take McFadden. I might consider Andre or Calvin Johnson as well.

Non-PPR - I'd probably take Mendenhall. I think he's the safest pick.

I have to tell you, I'm really nervous about Peterson's prospects this year.

The Vikings' o-line might be worse than it was last year.

Got the #1 in a 12 team NONppr redraft where all TDs are 6pts. Been sorta locked in on Peterson due to Foster's potential hammy issues and AP's consistency year to year. I'm starting to rethink this alot now though. I'm even considering Rodgers since all Tds are 6pts.

Most of you are stating whether your league is PPR or not, so let's try to keep that going. I'd like to see who is going Foster over AP in nonPPR.

I do seem to favor WR/WR at the 2/3 turn unless a RB like SJax falls to me. But if I decide I want a top 6/7 QB I'm probably going to have to grab Rivers or Romo there to secure that. I don't think I'll go that route, but I've said that the last 2 years and ended up with Brady late 1st/early 2nd in both seasons.

Unless there is great value at TE along the way...I think this is a fantastic year to wait around til most teams have one.

bump

1- Officially leaning towards Foster now. NonPPR.

2/3 - I seem to like two of VJax, Nicks, Jennings, Austin and Wallace. A couple will probably be gone so that helps the decision...although I'd like to see Nicks/VJax I think.

What can possibly change this? SJax, Rodgers/Brady/Vick/Brees (unlikely), top WR.

4/5 - Getting a QB here might be optimal as I want one of 10 QBs. Rivers and Romo likely gone, which leaves Ben, Schaub, and Ryan....maybe Manning? It might be worth the risk to draft other positions here and gamble on only 9 teams taking QBs by the start of the 6th round. This decision will be the most important one of the draft. If waiting doesn't work out, fallback options are Stafford, Bradford, Eli, and Flacco at 6/7 and pairing them quickly at 8/9 with another. Other players I'm targeting here...Dez, Ingram, FJones, Boldin. I still think it's a great year to wait on TE, but there likely will be a top choice(s) left here (Witten, Finley, Clark) as some people like to go that route.

bump1- Officially leaning towards Foster now. NonPPR.2/3 - I seem to like two of VJax, Nicks, Jennings, Austin and Wallace. A couple will probably be gone so that helps the decision...although I'd like to see Nicks/VJax I think.What can possibly change this? SJax, Rodgers/Brady/Vick/Brees (unlikely), top WR.4/5 - Getting a QB here might be optimal as I want one of 10 QBs. Rivers and Romo likely gone, which leaves Ben, Schaub, and Ryan....maybe Manning? It might be worth the risk to draft other positions here and gamble on only 9 teams taking QBs by the start of the 6th round. This decision will be the most important one of the draft. If waiting doesn't work out, fallback options are Stafford, Bradford, Eli, and Flacco at 6/7 and pairing them quickly at 8/9 with another. Other players I'm targeting here...Dez, Ingram, FJones, Boldin. I still think it's a great year to wait on TE, but there likely will be a top choice(s) left here (Witten, Finley, Clark) as some people like to go that route.
I agree with taking Foster at #1 and then going WR-WR at the 2/3 turn. To me the biggest question is where to take a quarterback. If Romo or Rivers are there at the 4-5 turn I jump all over them but I can't see that happening. At the same time, I think that is too early to take Roethlesberger or Schaub.Where are you guys targeting at quarterback????

Just finished 12 team PPR, IDP, Flex league

Went into the draft thinking Foster 1 and then Felix Jones and the best QB/ WR at the 2/3 turn. 6 QB and 7 WR went before my 2nd pick and Gore fell into my lap. Really like Jones this year so I grabbed him too. FYI, passed up on Wayne and Wallace at the 2/3 turn. Not going to list all 30 rounds, but next bunch of picks went like this:

1) A. Foster

2) F. Gore

3) F. Jones

4) M. Schaub (9th QB)

5) B. Wells (had a group of WR's that all went right before and he was easily best RB left)

6) J. Tuck

7) J. Allen (We start 7 defenders, like to have 2 great DL, then I wait on rest of D)

8) K. Britt

9) J. Witten

10) M. Manningham (NY draft with mostly Giant fans so surprised he lasted this long)

11) J. Ringer

Don't know if this helps anyone, but just wanted to share.

6 pts per td, start 2 RB, 2 WR and have a TE/WR/RB flex in a PPR redraft this year.

I think I am going to do WR/WR at the 2/3 turn and then QB/RB2 at the 4/5 turn. Gonna take Foster as my #1 and wait on TE this year I think.

bump1- Officially leaning towards Foster now. NonPPR.2/3 - I seem to like two of VJax, Nicks, Jennings, Austin and Wallace. A couple will probably be gone so that helps the decision...although I'd like to see Nicks/VJax I think.What can possibly change this? SJax, Rodgers/Brady/Vick/Brees (unlikely), top WR.4/5 - Getting a QB here might be optimal as I want one of 10 QBs. Rivers and Romo likely gone, which leaves Ben, Schaub, and Ryan....maybe Manning? It might be worth the risk to draft other positions here and gamble on only 9 teams taking QBs by the start of the 6th round. This decision will be the most important one of the draft. If waiting doesn't work out, fallback options are Stafford, Bradford, Eli, and Flacco at 6/7 and pairing them quickly at 8/9 with another. Other players I'm targeting here...Dez, Ingram, FJones, Boldin. I still think it's a great year to wait on TE, but there likely will be a top choice(s) left here (Witten, Finley, Clark) as some people like to go that route.
Definitely wouldn't plan on seeing either Nicks or Jackson at the 2/3 turn. In 2 of the 10 team start 2QB leagues I've done, Nicks went 19/20 and VJax 20/21. Considering that was a smaller league with QB's flying off the board, I think your standard 12 team league will have them going even earlier.

How confident is everyone feeling about Foster at this point? 2nd hammy tweak in a short amount of time...makes me a bit nervous. I've had the 2nd pick and went with AP, although I was very close to pulling the trigger on Rodgers since it's a start 2QB league and QB's go early and often. AP's line/team in general make me nervous, but he is still AP and he will likely get more carries than any other back, also likely to see more passes come his way in this "west coast" offense.

I don't like the OL of AP. Couldn't do it despite the hammy problems of Foster. I chose Foster with confidence.

'bbuster said:
Definitely wouldn't plan on seeing either Nicks or Jackson at the 2/3 turn. In 2 of the 10 team start 2QB leagues I've done, Nicks went 19/20 and VJax 20/21. Considering that was a smaller league with QB's flying off the board, I think your standard 12 team league will have them going even earlier.
I wouldn't say I'm planning on anything, and I did say some of those WR would likely be gone, but I think in my league it's a possibility so I'm not ruling anything out. And if those 2 are gone, somebody might be falling, because I'm certain Rodgers, Brees, Brady, and Vick will be gone, and maybe Rivers. The homer aspect of the league may take Hillis off the board. Turner will likely be gone and he's outside of the top 25 based on FBG rankings...and Forte/Gore/Felix are possibilities. If my best two choices turn out to be Jennings (who might get swiped by the Rodgers owner) and Wallace...I'm fine with that. I'm starting to worry about Foster...and still AP...and starting to consider Rodgers for the first time (all TDs are 7pts). Maybe I just take what should be a for sure thing and build around him -- and maybe not go WR/WR at 2/3.

I wouldn't say I'm planning on anything, and I did say some of those WR would likely be gone, but I think in my league it's a possibility so I'm not ruling anything out. And if those 2 are gone, somebody might be falling, because I'm certain Rodgers, Brees, Brady, and Vick will be gone, and maybe Rivers. The homer aspect of the league may take Hillis off the board. Turner will likely be gone and he's outside of the top 25 based on FBG rankings...and Forte/Gore/Felix are possibilities. If my best two choices turn out to be Jennings (who might get swiped by the Rodgers owner) and Wallace...I'm fine with that. I'm starting to worry about Foster...and still AP...and starting to consider Rodgers for the first time (all TDs are 7pts). Maybe I just take what should be a for sure thing and build around him -- and maybe not go WR/WR at 2/3.
12team non-ppr results.My loosely put strategy was to wait on QB and TE while looking for WR/WR at the 2/3 turn. I think it worked out. I'd like to be a little more strong at QB2/QB3, but that's just how the draft fell out. Other than that I like the team below.To the above poster...Nicks was taken at 2.11...so I was one pick away from VJax+Nicks. Jennings was also nabbed by the Rodgers owner at 2.09. Turner was long gone as predicted. Didn't have that one other sneaky pick to leak in to get Nicks out. Just a good reminder for everyone to know their league.Pick Player07.01 Matthew Stafford10.12 Mark Sanchez17.01 Jason Campbell01.01 Adrian Peterson04.12 Mark Ingram08.12 James Starks09.01 Pierre Thomas18.12 Ricky Williams02.12 Vincent Jackson03.01 Mike Wallace05.01 Mario Manningham06.12 Santana Moss14.12 Denarius Moore16.12 Andre Roberts12.12 Jared Cook13.01 Lance Kendricks15.01 Stephen Gostkowski19.01 Shaun Suisham11.01 Pittsburgh20.12 ClevelandWould have liked to get Burleson or Pettigrew to pair with Stafford, but Burleson didn't make it out of the 9th (was hoping for him at 10.12) and Pettigrew was taken in the 12th before I took my TE pairing.

12 Team PPR, start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE

I got the first pick for a 12 Team PPR. The latest projections have Rice overall #1. I guess my decision is Rice, Foster or ADP. Not sure what to do.

Saturday-PPR-.25/carry-1 QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1Flex(WR/RB/TR)

Rice

Sunday-NonPPR-Same lineups

ADP

Didn't want to take Adrian in both as these are my main $$$ leagues. Those are who I see as the safest guys to finish top 5 IMO.

I'm debating between Rice and Peterson with the 1st pick in just over an hour. Totally confused. I will probably take Peterson, but only because the league is not PPR. If there were point for receptions, I'd take Rice. I worry I'll regret not taking Rice. Foster's hammy and loss of fullback scare me.

Users who are viewing this thread