What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2010 Chicago White Sox Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Jake Peavy pumped about 2010

There was a time when Jake Peavy thought he wanted to be a Cub.

More than a few witnesses saw him singing ''Go, Cubs, Go'' during the 2008 winter meetings in Las Vegas.

There was a time when Peavy felt like he wanted to stay a Padre.

After all, he exercised his no-trade clause in rejecting a deal last May that would've sent him from San Diego to the South Side.

But as he sat in an airport Thursday afternoon, waiting for a flight back to the West Coast, Peavy acknowledged that the Cubs and Padres were more like temporary urges.

He sounded like he had finally found his true home.

''I couldn't have imagined a better fit,'' Peavy told the Sun-Times in a phone interview. ''I talk to [general manager] Kenny [Williams] and [pitching coach Don Cooper], and I'm completely on the same wavelength as those guys. Nothing matters except being a champion. They got that taste in 2005, and I haven't even been close. That's the driving force for me right now.

''I'm with the White Sox, and when you talk to Kenny about 2010, anything short of a championship is a failure.''

No wonder Cooper and Williams have come away ''fired up'' after offseason conversations with the 28-year-old right-hander.

They not only have a former Cy Young Award winner and two-time All-Star headlining a starting staff that is as good as any in the American League, but a guy who's hungry.

Make that starving.

''Nothing else matters except that ring now,'' Peavy said. ''I have done the other stuff. I know you need to put up the numbers. I'm financially blessed thanks to the game of baseball. To win the Cy Young was the coolest thing individually that I have done. But I'm not in the gym every morning now for the Cy Young. I want what the boys did in 2005. I want that dog pile, that memory, that ring. If you're not dreaming of that same thing, I question where you are as an athlete.''

Music to Cooper's ears.

''Yeah, this is a little different animal,'' Cooper said when asked to describe what he has in Peavy. ''I've been blessed enough to be around great players, winners, guys that achieved. He has all of those characteristics that a top-tier pitcher has.

''I can see why he says the only thing missing is a world championship because it's something for him to obtain. The high of 2005 has worn off. Getting a guy on board that has only that on his mind is a valuable piece. You want that type of hunger, that type of team talk to be infectious. Things don't happen for him by accident. I like having a guy that brings that type of hunger.''

So what if it took longer than expected?

After initially rejecting the Sox' advances, Peavy approved the trade July 31. An injured ankle sidelined him until late August. Then a line drive that struck his pitching elbow in a minor-league rehab start put him on the shelf until mid-September.

Many in the organization wanted Peavy to shut it down for the rest of the season.

But Peavy had heard the whispers that he rejected the Sox in May because he wanted to stay in the pitcher-friendly National League, that if he was going to go to Chicago, it would be on the North Side, that he was afraid of the AL.

His reply? A big middle finger.

''I hope we put all the questions about coming here last year to rest now,'' Peavy said. ''I could have easily shut it down last year, but it was a big thing for me to throw those three games. It was big for me to show the media, the city, the fans and my teammates that I was committed to the Sox.

''San Diego was my home for nine years, but I can't say how excited I am going to a team that has a chance to win a World Series, not a team that if things go right, well, maybe we can make a run. I never felt like this before.''

Even better news for the Sox is that Peavy can't remember feeling better than he does now health-wise.

In the three games he started last season, he was 3-0 with a 1.35 ERA. The kicker?

''I was about 80 percent then,'' Peavy said. ''I took about a month off to let my body recover, no stress. I'm as ready to go as ever. I take showing up in shape to spring training very seriously, and I am.''

As far as what could have been? Sorry, Cubs fan, but the Sox are only concerned with reality.

''When the Cubs rumors were going around, and then the rumors about us, I didn't get caught up in that,'' Cooper said. ''But I do know this: When you walk in the doors of our clubhouse, you're free to be yourself and free to go out and do the things you're capable of. Be ready for the answers you get. You might not love them, but you will know where you are going. That's why guys have had career years here. I'd like to think we somewhat liberate them. The player has to do it, but what we do control is a positive work environment.''

Peavy not only is buying into that, he also is looking to sell that to his teammates when camp begins.

''I told Kenny and Coop that I will do whatever it takes -- good, bad or ugly -- to win,'' Peavy said. ''I'm not going to sit here and give you numbers or promise how I will perform, but I can promise you that I will do everything I can to prepare.''
Wow, I got shivers reading this. I hope all of you guys are ready for a special run by the White Sox this year. 2010 will be special.I definitely like Peavy's "I want to win" attitude.

Q and the round one sign deals to avoid arbitration

The White Sox avoided arbitration with two of their eligible players on Saturday, agreeing to one-year contracts with closer Bobby Jenks and outfielder Carlos Quentin.complete hot stove coverageJenks will make $7.5 million in 2010, while Quentin agreed to a $3.2 million deal. That leaves left-hander John Danks and righty Tony Pena as the two remaining arbitration-eligible players for the South Siders.The 28-year-old Jenks went 3-4 with a 3.71 ERA and 29 saves in 35 chances for the White Sox in 2009, falling one save short of his fourth consecutive 30-save season.Quentin, meanwhile, batted .236 with 21 homers and 56 RBIs in 99 games this past season, a year in which he spent nearly two months on the disabled list with plantar fasciitis in his left foot. The 27-year-old is coming off a season that saw him make the American League All-Star team and win a Silver Slugger Award.Arbitration-eligible players without a 2010 contract will exchange figures with their respective clubs on Tuesday, and arbitration hearings will be scheduled Feb. 1-21. Clubs can still negotiate with their players from the time they exchange figures until the respective hearings.The White Sox haven't gone to arbitration with a player since 2001.

Got a great feeling about this year. Is Freddy the 5th starter though? I'm a bit out of the loop on that. Peavy, Buehrle, Floyd and Danks is an excellent 4. I don't see us going into too many 3 or 4 game skids if these guys are healthy and the offense just does the minimum. Will be in Phoenix the 6-12 and will be hitting up Camelback Ranch for a few Sox games and a few other stadiums. :thumbup:

Quentin & Jenks Sign 1/16, Pena Signs 1/18, Danks Signs 1/19

looks like the 2010 Payroll is set.

Code:
2010 Salary	2011 statusPeavy, Jake		$15,000,000	$16Buehrle, Mark		$14,000,000	$14Konerko, Paul		$12,000,000	FARios, Alex				$10,200,000	$12.5Jenks, Bobby			$7,500,000	Arb 3Pierzynski, A.J.		$6,250,000	FALinebrink, Scott		$5,000,000	$5.5Danks, John		$3,450,000	Arb 2Quentin, Carlos		$3,200,000	Arb 2Putz, J.J.				$3,000,000	FAPierre, Juan		$3,000,000	$5Teahen, Mark		$2,750,000	$4.75Floyd, Gavin		$2,750,000	$5Viciedo, Dayan		$2,250,000	$2.25Thornton, Matt		$2,250,000	$0.25Kotsay, Mark	   	$1,500,000	FAVizquel, Omar		$1,375,000	FARamirez, Alexei		$1,225,000	$1.23Pena, Tony				$1,200,000	Arb 2Garcia, Freddy			$1,000,000	FADye, Jermaine		$1,000,000	N/ACastro, Ramon		$800,000			$1.2Jones, Andruw		$500,000			FADolsi, Freddy		$450,000	MacDougal, Mike	$350,000			N/ABeckham, Gordon	$350,000	Williams, Randy		$250,000	Hudson, Daniel		$250,000	TOTAL:		$102,850,000	$67,680,000

As a Tiger's fan, I hate to admit it but the White Sox have to be the favorite in 2010. Easily the best rotation in the division and it stacks up against most the others in the AL as well.

I really wanted Juan Pierre to come to Detroit. Teahen was a solid signing too.

Sox have the horses to go up against the top AL teams this year, barring injury of course. Good luck.

I really like the moves the Sox made in the offseason. They are my pick to click in the A.L. Central this season.

Looks like the current debate is should the sox sign Jim Thome or go with the rotating DH.
No way Thome ends up on the SoxOzzie just doesn't want him
Oz makes it official - Thome will not be brought back this year.
$1.5M to the TwinsHope I'm wrong, but something tells me that I'm going to be pissed about this by the end of the year.
Why aren't you pissed now? 1.5 mil for a power lefty bat DH that they need. Ozzie is an idiot. He also said he wouldn't put in Vizquel or Jones for starters in a blowout because he has too much respect for him. I remember last year I pointed out in one of the games he should have hit Kotsay for Dye but didn't. He's too attached to the players instead of doing the right thing to win.

Hopefully they can get Damon or someone, or Kenny can fix it if/when the Jones/Kotsay/Vizquel thing doesn't work. But with the divison coming down to 163 games the last two seasons, not good to waste games in the beginning. Already did that last year.

Here are some good breakdowns of the situation.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...983,full.column

http://soxmachine.com/soxmachine/2010/01/2...-ozzie-guillen/

Pierre

Beckham

Quentin

Paulie

AJ

Alexie

Kotsay/Jones

Teahen

Rios

Not too bad. Maybe swap AJ and Beckham .

Great rotation, very solid bullpen if Putz is good.

The pitching staff is among the best in baseball, certainly elite/top 3-5. The relief core is pretty damn solid as well. Most teams would kill for a Thornton/Jenks 8th/9th inning punch(even if Big Bad Bobby is getting fat and losing a few mph on his heat).

IF Quentin reverts to his '08 MVP pre-injury form, this team should win 90+ games. It is quite simple really, they need that MVP bat in the middle of the line-up, bottom line. Quentin has shown he can do it, but he also needs to be healthy and mentally ready to play as well. Buckle up Sox fans...

sox have emerged as leading bidders for damon.

Im not sure if this is real or is Kenny trying to make Detroit pay more or is Boras were trying to use one team as leverage for another. either way something is going on.

if that happens I think Jones may be cut. Pierre, Quentin, Rios, Jones, Kotsay, Damon.

sox have emerged as leading bidders for damon.Im not sure if this is real or is Kenny trying to make Detroit pay more or is Boras were trying to use one team as leverage for another. either way something is going on.if that happens I think Jones may be cut. Pierre, Quentin, Rios, Jones, Kotsay, Damon.
Why didn't they look at him before signing over-the-hill guys like Jones and PierreLooks like Boras smoke to me.

Not sure if this is a secret but you can buy sox tickets today on mlb.com using the promo code "beckham".

I grabbed a couple for the Friday 8/27 Yankees game, I think there are fireworks after the game for the kiddies.

Last edited by a moderator:
The pitching staff is among the best in baseball, certainly elite/top 3-5. The relief core is pretty damn solid as well. Most teams would kill for a Thornton/Jenks 8th/9th inning punch(even if Big Bad Bobby is getting fat and losing a few mph on his heat). IF Quentin reverts to his '08 MVP pre-injury form, this team should win 90+ games. It is quite simple really, they need that MVP bat in the middle of the line-up, bottom line. Quentin has shown he can do it, but he also needs to be healthy and mentally ready to play as well. Buckle up Sox fans...
Don't forget JJ Putz coming out of the pen as well. :yucky:

Not sure if this is a secret but you can buy sox tickets today on mlb.com using the promo code "beckham".I grabbed a couple for the Friday 8/27 Yankees game, I think there are fireworks after the game for the kiddies.
possibly goig to this game :lmao:

Ozzy's most recent tweet:

Eating my favorite food suchi nice palys sakana suchi and grill tell then iam send you hear lol yessss
:goodposting:

my buddy just sent me this email from the spring training game today...

Quentin, Konerko, Rios -- all look as good physically as I've ever seen them.Rios launched an absolute missile out of the deepest part of the park. Konerko jacked one out too.The MLB camera and mike guys were all over things, filming for the Sox show. Ozzie and the other coaches were loving every minute of it. Big surprise there. We were sitting next to Oz. In the first inning Figgins swung at a ball in the dirt, and Ozzie yells to him, "THAT SWING DON'T LOOK LIKE 20 MILLION DOLLARS TO ME! ONLY 5'4"...YOU MAKE ME LOOK BIG!". The guy is nuts. He sent security up to a skybox to eject one of his buddies, and then stood on the top step pointing and laughing at the guy. An inning later he was yelling to a beer vendor to come help him out with a cold one. Its like a damn comedy show.

Bookmaker has their season win total pegged at 84. I see the Twins, with Nathan out and no longer having that great home field advantage, underperforming this year. Cleveland looks really bad, and KC is, well, KC. Detroit is ok but nowhere close to the team that made the World Series a few years ago. Biggest question could be about team power, which could be in an issue in that park, where the ball tends to fly out.

Carlos Quentin

Alex Rios

Paul Konerko

Andrew Jones

Beckham

Juan Pierre

Alexei Ramirez

Mark Teahan

AJ Pierzynski

etc

JAke Peavy

Mark Beuhrle

John Danks

Freddy Garcia

Gavin Floyd

JJ Putz

Scott Linebrink

Matt Thornton

Bobby Jenks

On paper, this team should win 90+ games easily, well, easy if Quentin returns to '08 form, but if he doesn't Rios and Beckham may be enough to win the division...assuming Peavy or Burls do not get injured and miss significant time. I haven't been this pumped about a Sox team since '06. I am EXPECTING 90+ wins and a playoff berth...Ozzie's job may depend on it.

Having my draft tommorow. How has Peavy been looking? Can he be the ace he was with the Padres?

Having my draft tommorow. How has Peavy been looking? Can he be the ace he was with the Padres?
He's still a bonafide ace, but that ERA 'aint going to be under 3.00 pitching in the cell. Probably 3.50-3.75, excellent WHIP, K's, etc...lights out in all but one appearence...and if the Peavy Sox/Tigers fans saw at the end of last season is any indication, he just adds one more stud SP to the AL Central. The Tigers have Verlander, Royals have Grienke, Indians HAD Lee(morons), Sox Peavy(Burls was good, but is probably the perfect #2, not quite an ace), and the Twins have a few guys who COULD be a legit ace and one who was for half a season(FL).Going to be a fun year in the AL Central!

Can't wait for the season to start. Went down to spring training a couple weeks ago and caught 4 games. Konerko probably hit .800 when I was down there and looks in noticeably better shape. Another guy who looks a ton better is Andruw Jones. I was talking to a few Dodgers fans who were pissed at how good he looked this year compared to looking like a fat slob when they saw him with their team last season. :) Will be at the April 8th game vs the Indians. :popcorn:

Da Guru said:
Going from a great pitchers park to a launching pad, it will be interesting to see how his numbers turn out this season.

Carlos QuentinAlex RiosPaul KonerkoAndrew JonesBeckhamJuan PierreAlexei RamirezMark TeahanAJ PierzynskietcJAke PeavyMark BeuhrleJohn DanksFreddy GarciaGavin FloydJJ PutzScott LinebrinkMatt ThorntonBobby JenksOn paper, this team should win 90+ games easily, well, easy if Quentin returns to '08 form, but if he doesn't Rios and Beckham may be enough to win the division...assuming Peavy or Burls do not get injured and miss significant time. I haven't been this pumped about a Sox team since '06. I am EXPECTING 90+ wins and a playoff berth...Ozzie's job may depend on it.
White Sox fans in general are expecting too much it seems. If Quentin doesn't return to near '08 form or Beckham doesn't take a huge leap forward, I think they are in trouble on offense. I think the expectation should be above 500 with the ability to take the division with 90 wins if the parts all come together.

Carlos Quentin

Alex Rios

Paul Konerko

Andrew Jones

Beckham

Juan Pierre

Alexei Ramirez

Mark Teahan

AJ Pierzynski

etc

JAke Peavy

Mark Beuhrle

John Danks

Freddy Garcia

Gavin Floyd

JJ Putz

Scott Linebrink

Matt Thornton

Bobby Jenks

On paper, this team should win 90+ games easily, well, easy if Quentin returns to '08 form, but if he doesn't Rios and Beckham may be enough to win the division...assuming Peavy or Burls do not get injured and miss significant time. I haven't been this pumped about a Sox team since '06. I am EXPECTING 90+ wins and a playoff berth...Ozzie's job may depend on it.
White Sox fans in general are expecting too much it seems. If Quentin doesn't return to near '08 form or Beckham doesn't take a huge leap forward, I think they are in trouble on offense. I think the expectation should be above 500 with the ability to take the division with 90 wins if the parts all come together.
Why does Beckham need to take a huge leap forward? He had a great rookie year. If he improves just slightly over last year's production, his numbers are going to be great.

Carlos Quentin

Alex Rios

Paul Konerko

Andrew Jones

Beckham

Juan Pierre

Alexei Ramirez

Mark Teahan

AJ Pierzynski

etc

JAke Peavy

Mark Beuhrle

John Danks

Freddy Garcia

Gavin Floyd

JJ Putz

Scott Linebrink

Matt Thornton

Bobby Jenks

Why does Beckham need to take a huge leap forward? He had a great rookie year. If he improves just slightly over last year's production, his numbers are going to be great.
Agreed, even a small step forward for Beckham would be .280/.350/20HR...something along those lines, which is a huge plus compared to the production most teams get from their 2B.

I'm excited as always but not expecting a division crown without a lot falling our way. While Pierre may lead the league in stolen bases, he's really not a guy that should be playing every day as an offensive cog IMHO. Alex Rios has to rebound in a huge way, which also may be asking a lot. I think there's a good chance we dump folks like Konerko at some point in the season, in one of Kenny's classic "build for later, but still give us a shot to win now" moves.

I'm excited as always but not expecting a division crown without a lot falling our way. While Pierre may lead the league in stolen bases, he's really not a guy that should be playing every day as an offensive cog IMHO. Alex Rios has to rebound in a huge way, which also may be asking a lot. I think there's a good chance we dump folks like Konerko at some point in the season, in one of Kenny's classic "build for later, but still give us a shot to win now" moves.
Agreed, especially if CQ and Rios come through. Kotsay could play everyday at FB if everyone else is hitting well.

Agreed, especially if CQ and Rios come through. Kotsay could play everyday at FB if everyone else is hitting well.
Adrian Gonzales will be here by then, so there's no need for Kotsay

Adrian Gonzales will be here by then, so there's no need for Kotsay
If that means losing Beckham, then no thanks. :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread