What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 2012 YANKEE THREAD*** (1 Viewer)

Tough to watch him in the clubhouse talking to reporters. Red and watery eyed, voice cracking, telling reporters he let his teammates down.

This can't be how it ends for him

Absolutely heart wrenching watching that postgame with him. Hard to love an athlete more than I love this guy. A better man than a pitcher and thats saying something. He just gave his all, all the time, with a smile, class and dignity, and was selfless in so many ways, from charitable efforts to teaching anyone who would ask him, teammate, or foe, how to throw the cutter. Mariano's career has always felt to me something like a cinderella tale, as after undergoing TJ in a much more uncertain time, to hear him tell it, he woke up one day just throwing 3 mph faster than he ever did before and that coupled with the cutter he picked up, but I always wondered if the clock would strike midnight. Well, life teaches you, if you wait around long enough, midnight always comes but that doesnt mean that you didn't get to live a fairy tale. This has been just the most incredible ride of a lifetime as a fan, and rarely does pride in a person match their performance on the field. But what can you say about Mo, its not hype to say he was THE cornerstone of the dynasty. Jeter gets and deserves a great deal of credit, and year in year out, but in October, I mean, you can't even think of life without him. And in those rare moments where he stumbled, be it Alomar's homer or Luis Gonzalez bloop or Dave Roberts steal, thats where the true measure of man separated himself. Mo always faced the music, he never ducked a question and he always took his medicine like he took his champagne bath, like a man.

There was one time he didn't, in an effort which remains the greatest in person athletic feat I've ever seen. An exhausted Rivera comes on to throw 3 scoreless innings against a buzzsaw of a Red Sox lineup in game where the stakes could not have been higher. We use the phrase "refuse to lose" as a trite rhyme, but he embodied it that night. I'l never forget the jubiliation of Boone's homer soaring into the safety of the left field stands, and in the blind hugging mania, looking to the mound while Boone rounded the bases and there was Mo who had just left the dugout and heaved himself on the mound and was crying and wailing in some kind of primal scream. Joy and relief and just raw emotion all at once. He gave all he had and you knew if they didn't score he was prepared to give more. He was not giving in. And in that moment sprawled on the mound, he wasn't Mariano the sandman, he was Mariano the little boy, like all of us in that ballpark, not only living a dream but avoiding a nightmare, if only for a year.

If this was it, Godspeed my brother. You have been the man in these parts for my adolesence and into my adult life. If this is it, thank you for a ride the likes of which we'll never see again.

But that said, I can't believe this is Exit Sandman. Time doesn't tell God when he's done, God tells time when HE'S done and I think we'll see Mo go the same way.

Either way, thank you brother and we're pulling for you.

An exhausted Rivera comes on to throw 3 scoreless innings against a buzzsaw of a Red Sox lineup in game where the stakes could not have been higher. We use the phrase "refuse to lose" as a trite rhyme, but he embodied it that night.
And the awesome part was, you expected him to mow them down, inning after inning, no matter how long he stayed out there.There's been no greater security blanket in my sports-viewing lifetime. A guy who, when he comes in, you can turn off the TV and go to bed.

Absolutely heart wrenching watching that postgame with him. Hard to love an athlete more than I love this guy. A better man than a pitcher and thats saying something. He just gave his all, all the time, with a smile, class and dignity, and was selfless in so many ways, from charitable efforts to teaching anyone who would ask him, teammate, or foe, how to throw the cutter. Mariano's career has always felt to me something like a cinderella tale, as after undergoing TJ in a much more uncertain time, to hear him tell it, he woke up one day just throwing 3 mph faster than he ever did before and that coupled with the cutter he picked up, but I always wondered if the clock would strike midnight. Well, life teaches you, if you wait around long enough, midnight always comes but that doesnt mean that you didn't get to live a fairy tale. This has been just the most incredible ride of a lifetime as a fan, and rarely does pride in a person match their performance on the field. But what can you say about Mo, its not hype to say he was THE cornerstone of the dynasty. Jeter gets and deserves a great deal of credit, and year in year out, but in October, I mean, you can't even think of life without him. And in those rare moments where he stumbled, be it Alomar's homer or Luis Gonzalez bloop or Dave Roberts steal, thats where the true measure of man separated himself. Mo always faced the music, he never ducked a question and he always took his medicine like he took his champagne bath, like a man.

There was one time he didn't, in an effort which remains the greatest in person athletic feat I've ever seen. An exhausted Rivera comes on to throw 3 scoreless innings against a buzzsaw of a Red Sox lineup in game where the stakes could not have been higher. We use the phrase "refuse to lose" as a trite rhyme, but he embodied it that night. I'l never forget the jubiliation of Boone's homer soaring into the safety of the left field stands, and in the blind hugging mania, looking to the mound while Boone rounded the bases and there was Mo who had just left the dugout and heaved himself on the mound and was crying and wailing in some kind of primal scream. Joy and relief and just raw emotion all at once. He gave all he had and you knew if they didn't score he was prepared to give more. He was not giving in. And in that moment sprawled on the mound, he wasn't Mariano the sandman, he was Mariano the little boy, like all of us in that ballpark, not only living a dream but avoiding a nightmare, if only for a year.

If this was it, Godspeed my brother. You have been the man in these parts for my adolesence and into my adult life. If this is it, thank you for a ride the likes of which we'll never see again.

But that said, I can't believe this is Exit Sandman. Time doesn't tell God when he's done, God tells time when HE'S done and I think we'll see Mo go the same way.

Either way, thank you brother and we're pulling for you.
Im not ashamed to admit a tear came to my eye reading this. Especially the bolded which was his greatest moment as a Yankee

As a fan the last time I felt like this was when Mattingly couldn't play anymore. My childhood hero couldn't do it anymore. And the greatest Yankee of my lifetime was just taken from us in a ridiculous manner. It does feel like Superman just died. All I can do is, as a fan, thank him for a great ride. Perhaps the best ride ever a fan could have.

You guys may be taking this a bit too seriously.
Cappy, imagine in some weird universe Ron and Ron broke up on the same day that Ronde Barber retired and Florida got the death penalty as a program all at the same time. I'm trying to translate this into a tampa tragedy scale.

Cappy, imagine in some weird universe Ron and Ron broke up on the same day that Ronde Barber retired and Florida got the death penalty as a program all at the same time. I'm trying to translate this into a tampa tragedy scale.
Better chance of me listening to the shrill broad of an announcer you guys have then me listening to Ron and Ron.

Tough to watch him in the clubhouse talking to reporters. Red and watery eyed, voice cracking, telling reporters he let his teammates down.This can't be how it ends for him
Yeah - that was rough. Miniscis is torn too.
Fluke accident..sad way for it to end. At his age and the way he uses his legs for push off and drive I fear that this is the end. Best closer of all-time.I know this is a stupid question..but what was he doing shagging fly balls?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough to watch him in the clubhouse talking to reporters. Red and watery eyed, voice cracking, telling reporters he let his teammates down.This can't be how it ends for him
Yeah - that was rough. Miniscis is torn too.
Fluke accident..sad way for it to end. At his age and the way he uses his legs for push off and drive I fear that this is the end. Best closer of all-time.I know this is a stupid question..but what was he doing shagging fly balls?
Its his methodology for pre game conditioning. Something he's always done, largely without incident, although I remember whispers that he did something in 2009 as he definitely did not shag balls in September through the world series that year. You could argue you can leave him under glass but it was a sort of legendary thing around here that this was how he prepared. He's been lobbying to get into a game for an inning since Torre.

Absolutely heart wrenching watching that postgame with him. Hard to love an athlete more than I love this guy. A better man than a pitcher and thats saying something. He just gave his all, all the time, with a smile, class and dignity, and was selfless in so many ways, from charitable efforts to teaching anyone who would ask him, teammate, or foe, how to throw the cutter. Mariano's career has always felt to me something like a cinderella tale, as after undergoing TJ in a much more uncertain time, to hear him tell it, he woke up one day just throwing 3 mph faster than he ever did before and that coupled with the cutter he picked up, but I always wondered if the clock would strike midnight. Well, life teaches you, if you wait around long enough, midnight always comes but that doesnt mean that you didn't get to live a fairy tale. This has been just the most incredible ride of a lifetime as a fan, and rarely does pride in a person match their performance on the field. But what can you say about Mo, its not hype to say he was THE cornerstone of the dynasty. Jeter gets and deserves a great deal of credit, and year in year out, but in October, I mean, you can't even think of life without him. And in those rare moments where he stumbled, be it Alomar's homer or Luis Gonzalez bloop or Dave Roberts steal, thats where the true measure of man separated himself. Mo always faced the music, he never ducked a question and he always took his medicine like he took his champagne bath, like a man. There was one time he didn't, in an effort which remains the greatest in person athletic feat I've ever seen. An exhausted Rivera comes on to throw 3 scoreless innings against a buzzsaw of a Red Sox lineup in game where the stakes could not have been higher. We use the phrase "refuse to lose" as a trite rhyme, but he embodied it that night. I'l never forget the jubiliation of Boone's homer soaring into the safety of the left field stands, and in the blind hugging mania, looking to the mound while Boone rounded the bases and there was Mo who had just left the dugout and heaved himself on the mound and was crying and wailing in some kind of primal scream. Joy and relief and just raw emotion all at once. He gave all he had and you knew if they didn't score he was prepared to give more. He was not giving in. And in that moment sprawled on the mound, he wasn't Mariano the sandman, he was Mariano the little boy, like all of us in that ballpark, not only living a dream but avoiding a nightmare, if only for a year. If this was it, Godspeed my brother. You have been the man in these parts for my adolesence and into my adult life. If this is it, thank you for a ride the likes of which we'll never see again. But that said, I can't believe this is Exit Sandman. Time doesn't tell God when he's done, God tells time when HE'S done and I think we'll see Mo go the same way. Either way, thank you brother and we're pulling for you.
Good job in a big spot outta you. Here's the Mink Man.

I wonder if they go Soriano in the closer role to get his value up and hope he opts out.
I'd estimate a 35% chance of Soriano closing and a 0% chance of him opting out. Nobody but the Yankees will pay $14M for a 33 year old reliever with his injury history.

'Smack Tripper said:
I wonder if they go Soriano in the closer role to get his value up and hope he opts out.
:lmao: Glllll with that opt out.
He wouldnt be the first guy boras talked out of money. A lights out close could open him up to a bigger deal with more years
He's owed like 12 or 14 M next year right?Zero chance he's opting out of that.
Maybe the Yankees will sign him to an extension :shrug:

Have you never been guilty of taking sports too seriously at times?
I've never been guilty of comparing it to my dead mom.
Theres a mourning period in both :shrug:
Mourning is a strange thing. There's no right or wrong -- only what you feel.My dad died 16 years ago, and I loved him dearly, but to this day I haven't shed a tear. But I cried like a baby when I put my dog down. :shrug:

Mourning is a strange thing. There's no right or wrong -- only what you feel.My dad died 16 years ago, and I loved him dearly, but to this day I haven't shed a tear. But I cried like a baby when I put my dog down. :shrug:
Good thing this thread didn't exist in the days of Lou Gehrig

Mourning is a strange thing. There's no right or wrong -- only what you feel.My dad died 16 years ago, and I loved him dearly, but to this day I haven't shed a tear. But I cried like a baby when I put my dog down.

:shrug:
Tell me about it. That's still hard to watch.

How good were your tickets for that game?

I was at the game last Friday watching Rivera jog in and Marlboro Man doing his air guitar to Enter Sandman, and lamenting the fact that people were leaving without staying to witness Mo do his thing. Obviously never considered that it could be the last time I'd see him pitch.

Rivera has been my favorite Yankee since 98 and it sucks to see him hurt like this...at the same time, I'm still in the middle of trying to process the death of my favorite football player of all time so it puts it in perspective. Assuming Rivera is able to come back, awesome. And if he can't, he's a great man who has had a legendary career and will continue to do great things with his life after he retires.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't even sat down yet and Kuroda is getting SHELLED. :lmao: Our staff is fantastic.
:shrug: hard to kill him. He's had 2 good, one ok and 3 had starts. Did you expect more of a 37 year old no west hurler?The offense is a bigger worry. But what can be done? Grandy swish and jeter have been great, arod's Been ok. Cano and tex are the big anchors and you figure bob will be an engine soon Enough. Nooneys d and Gardys absence hurt but short or trading for a dh where can you make a change?I guess you could go get a garza and hope everyone else cOrrects with a true number two. I do think it's amazing this organization hasnt developed a first baseman since JT snow. I guess bichette may fill that role but he's 3 years away

Haven't even sat down yet and Kuroda is getting SHELLED. :lmao: Our staff is fantastic.
:shrug: hard to kill him. He's had 2 good, one ok and 3 had starts. Did you expect more of a 37 year old no west hurler?The offense is a bigger worry. But what can be done? Grandy swish and jeter have been great, arod's Been ok. Cano and tex are the big anchors and you figure bob will be an engine soon Enough. Nooneys d and Gardys absence hurt but short or trading for a dh where can you make a change?I guess you could go get a garza and hope everyone else cOrrects with a true number two. I do think it's amazing this organization hasnt developed a first baseman since JT snow. I guess bichette may fill that role but he's 3 years away
This organization has developed one good player in the last 10 yrs (Cano)

Haven't even sat down yet and Kuroda is getting SHELLED. :lmao:

Our staff is fantastic.
:shrug: hard to kill him. He's had 2 good, one ok and 3 had starts. Did you expect more of a 37 year old no west hurler?The offense is a bigger worry. But what can be done? Grandy swish and jeter have been great, arod's Been ok. Cano and tex are the big anchors and you figure bob will be an engine soon Enough. Nooneys d and Gardys absence hurt but short or trading for a dh where can you make a change?

I guess you could go get a garza and hope everyone else cOrrects with a true number two.

I do think it's amazing this organization hasnt developed a first baseman since JT snow. I guess bichette may fill that role but he's 3 years away
You have to understand when I typed that.By the time I settled in for the bottom of the 1st, there had already been a single, an error, a double, a wild pitch and a walk. Pretty frustrating start to say the least.

Yes, the offense is a huge concern. Starting to pull my hair out watching these clowns. I still don't understand how Cashman seems to be escaping any scrutiny. Does he get a pass because the last title was fairly recently? Year after year, he has the most resources to work with, and year after year, he fails to field a suitable rotation. And now all of the sticks are getting old all at once.

70 billion doesn't buy what it used to.

Haven't even sat down yet and Kuroda is getting SHELLED. :lmao:

Our staff is fantastic.
:shrug: hard to kill him. He's had 2 good, one ok and 3 had starts. Did you expect more of a 37 year old no west hurler?The offense is a bigger worry. But what can be done? Grandy swish and jeter have been great, arod's Been ok. Cano and tex are the big anchors and you figure bob will be an engine soon Enough. Nooneys d and Gardys absence hurt but short or trading for a dh where can you make a change?

I guess you could go get a garza and hope everyone else cOrrects with a true number two.

I do think it's amazing this organization hasnt developed a first baseman since JT snow. I guess bichette may fill that role but he's 3 years away
You have to understand when I typed that.By the time I settled in for the bottom of the 1st, there had already been a single, an error, a double, a wild pitch and a walk. Pretty frustrating start to say the least.

Yes, the offense is a huge concern. Starting to pull my hair out watching these clowns. I still don't understand how Cashman seems to be escaping any scrutiny. Does he get a pass because the last title was fairly recently? Year after year, he has the most resources to work with, and year after year, he fails to field a suitable rotation. And now all of the sticks are getting old all at once.

70 billion doesn't buy what it used to.
2009 they win the series.2010 they lose the ALCS to a pretty good ranger team

2011 they lose a close 5 game series to a team with the Cy Young and MVP(though he wasn't a major factor in the series, neither was their own ace).

What is your problem with Cashman exactly? Who do you want to replace him with? Are your not remotely satisified with the player development aspect of the organization.

I say this not to attack you, because to me, he has to answer for 3 big things:

1. Trading a blue chip prospect for a less than certain return(Montero for Pineda). I think I'm not alone here, I wish Monty were getting some abs with this team as drawn up

2. Signing Tex to an 8 year deal. Now if I could see Tex in decline, I'm sure Cash could. He was a pretty big part of the world series and he's been a big part of their regular season success so he's been worth the money to this point, but his pigheaded stubborn nature is all on him and his decline seems to be snowballing. 4 years and 90 mil or so left on the deal after this season. That's tough to take.

3. The (mis)handling of Joba. There are no guarantees and the Joba we knew may have gone up in smoke when he tweaked his shoulder on a hot night in Texas in 2008, as he was never really the same guy we saw after that. But he probably deserved a chance to start and he never got that.

But that said, the good of Cash:

-Colon and Garcia carry the Yanks to the best record in the AL last year

-The Granderson trade, which, despite Kennedy's blossoming in the NL west is still a great trade. IPK would have never been that here and you can put any tomato can in that division and he'll be servicable (see Kuroda).

-The Swisher Trade( for Betemit, nuff said)

-The development. David Robertson, Gardner, Nova, Montero have all made recent MLB impacts with Banelous still a strong possiblity and then nice complimentary pieces like Phelps, Mitchell, Warren and Betances in wait. The lower minors look even better with Mason Williams, Bichette, JR Murphy and Gary Sanchez to name a few. If they don't make an impact, they can be dealt for impact pieces.

-The small moves. Cory Wade, Boone Logan, Chris Stewart, Eric Chavez, Marcus Thames, Luis Ayala, Garica, Colon

Yes, you could rightly throw out some pitchers that he missed on, but he also did hit on CC.

I just don't know what you think the answer is outside of him. They're in a transitional time, riding out the Jeter/Mo years in some respects, and looking at the implications of the 2014 Salary penalties. But the two worst contracts on the team he had nothing to do with, Soriano and A-Rod. What is he supposed to do when you agree to a 10 year, 275 million blackout at 3b?

At the end of the day, unless you believe in the Orioles and Indians, the Yanks have the inside track on at worst the second wildcard in the AL. Which is not much different from the first wild card if you're not going to win the division. Tampa will come back with Longoria out and Toronto doesn't have enough pitching IMO.

I don't begrudge your thoughts or discontent, but before we shove him out the door, please have a better replacement in mind. The world is changing a lot in baseball in the next 2-3 years and I'd rather keep a steady course with the management. At the end of the day, they're going after the free agents they should (ie. Lee even if they didnt' get him) and avoiding the ones they shouldn't that people pushed for them to go after (Werth, Lackey, Crawford etc). And there is a good pipeline of minor leaguers. Will they breakout or bust, who knows? Nova and DRob weren't "top tier" guys, so for every Hughes that might not reach his ceiling, you get these guys that exceed expectations.

And frankly, lastly, at the end of the day, they're within striking distance and things are pretty early. All we can do is hope Tex and Cano turn it around. If they haven't by memorial day, clear some room on the ledge and I'll join you there.

Good post. You know me by now. I'm a glass-half-empty, impatient, negative ******* most of the time. If the team isn't in first place every year by Memorial Day, I think about canceling the MLB Extra Innings package.

Cashman does seem like a capable guy, especially when you hear him interviewed. Calm, poised, always with a plan. But a high payroll brings high expectations. He knew that when George hired him. It's hard to swallow this lineup scoring five total runs in their last four losses against the likes of Baltimore and Kansas City.

Unless Andy is miraculously the Andy of old, and we acquire another SP somewhere along the line, this season cannot be successful. And even if they happen to make the playoffs, it would be a highly unlikely that this current roster will make any noise in the postseason.

Robertson had a few butterflies but in the end he got the job done, I think he gets better and better. They'll never be another Mo but something about this guy I can see him being a top 10 closer for the next 5 years.

Robertson had a few butterflies but in the end he got the job done, I think he gets better and better. They'll never be another Mo but something about this guy I can see him being a top 10 closer for the next 5 years.
He looks great, but the strike zone to Pena was ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread