What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2013 San Diego Chargers **** (1 Viewer)

Negative Nancy's in here. I trust our new GM :shrug:
Because...
Why not? He was in high demand and everything I've heard has been positive. I'll look at the glass half full. Try it some time.
I did last year. Raiders hired an "in high demand" and "positive hires" of GM Reggie McKenzie and HC Dennis Allen. I had an overflowing glass full...Left a bitter taste. Good luck with your new HC. At least you got rid of Norv.

Mike McCoy? This seems like not such a great idea.
:goodposting: I will however give him 2 years before I call for his head

Dont really know much about him.

very Blah year for HC candidates IMO. Glad it wasnt Arians
funny stuff. Go over the Bears thread and they are saying "glad it wasn't McCoy". .
Whats not to like? He is young (40 I read somewhere) and seemed to be in demand. Here is a guy that was able to successfully cater an offense one year to help Tim Tebow succeed and then the next year able to have Payton Manning succeed. And its not like they changed any other pieces really. That does not seem like an easy thing to do. Too many coaches want to fit players into their scheme instead of fitting a scheme to the players. He did. Now hopefully the new GM and HC can rebuild the OLine and improve the Defense and make a run.

McCoy did great with Orton at QB in 2009-2010, then Tebow in 2011, then Manning in 2012. Three very different offenses with very different personnel. I wouldn't question his chops as an offensive coordinator.That said, I don't really want the offensive coordinator duties to fall on the head coach (though I'd make an exception for Chip Kelly). I hope McCoy hires a real offensive coordinator to do the heavy lifting on the weekly game plan and the play-calling, so that McCoy himself can focus on higher-level, more head-coachy type stuff.

funny stuff. Go over the Bears thread and they are saying "glad it wasn't McCoy". .
Whats not to like? He is young (40 I read somewhere) and seemed to be in demand. Here is a guy that was able to successfully cater an offense one year to help Tim Tebow succeed and then the next year able to have Payton Manning succeed. And its not like they changed any other pieces really. That does not seem like an easy thing to do. Too many coaches want to fit players into their scheme instead of fitting a scheme to the players. He did. Now hopefully the new GM and HC can rebuild the OLine and improve the Defense and make a run.
guy sounds like a magician

guy sounds like a magician
I know its not hard to succeed when you have P Manning, my point was Manning isnt going to be successful in an offense that Tebow was running. He catered his offense to make the players in it better.

I am not sure what I think about McCoy, except wasn't Peyton running that offense this year? Hope he brings in a good OC and DC.

I'm happy that we went with a young OC who can help put together a team that works to its strengths as opposed to a retread HC that is already stuck in their ways.
I agree with you on this and am happy about it. But HC is a different gig than OC same as GM is different from player personnel guy and we've now got guys in both positions with 0 track record. So as a lifelong Charger fan, you'll excuse me for not being overly optimistic. Chances are these guys don't work out - that's just going by the probabilities set up over many decades of NFL results.

Loved McCoy's presser. Guy sounds like he's going to completely own everything, and seems extremely prepared.I'm blown away. ####### LOVE THIS HIRE!!!!!

Loved McCoy's presser. Guy sounds like he's going to completely own everything, and seems extremely prepared.I'm blown away. ####### LOVE THIS HIRE!!!!!
Pretty encouraged after watching the presser. Love that's he's bringing in an OC to call the plays. By all accounts he's going to tailor the offense to fit his personnel - something Norv failed miserably at and force fed his system without the personnel. Hopefully we see a lot more up tempo plays in limited doses. Overall very, very positive first impression. Bradley was my first choice, but by all accounts this guy blew them away. I can see why from the press conference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whisenhunt hired as OC. I couldn't be happier with the Chargers moves thus far. :thumbup:
I wanted Bradley, but never even considered we could get McCoy + Wiz. Wiz as OC is fantastic paired up with McCoy. Excited to see how this offense is going to look. Telly now just needs to nail the draft/FA. He has got to find a way to fix our O line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whisenhunt hired as OC. I couldn't be happier with the Chargers moves thus far. :thumbup:
I wanted Bradley, but never even considered we could get McCoy + Wiz. Wiz as OC is fantastic paired up with McCoy. Excited to see how this offense is going to look. Telly now just needs to nail the draft/FA. He has got to find a way to fix our O line.
Looks like things are headed in a positive direction, but I'm not getting optimistic until this gets figured out.

Looks like things are headed in a positive direction, but I'm not getting optimistic until this gets figured out.
Are they going to bring Russ Grimm as Oline coach? I think pagano only has a 1 year left on his deal as DC. wonder if they extend him?

The coach on 1090 last night was saying he thinks they're not going to re-sign Jammer. Also not sure about Vazquez and Cason coming back.

Yay! We signed a OT that we hope never has to see the field!
The San Diego Chargers have signed an offensive tackle. They have signed former Philadelphia Eagles offensive tackle King Dunlap. Dunlap can play on the left side or right side and had been pushed to the bench a couple of times while with Philly. He isn’t a top name in free agency, but he will provide some sort of help on the offensive line. He can’t be worse than Mike Harris.

Dunlap took over for Marcus McNeill at left tackle at Auburn and now he could be the guy taking over his position in San Diego. Signing Dunlap will open up some options for the San Diego Chargers in the draft. If they want to draft a guard at pick 11, we can use Dunlap and maybe Jared Gaither at left tackle and can use Jeromey Clary over at right tackle.

We could choose Chance Warmack or Jonathan Cooper at pick 11 to fill the hole that was left by Louis Vasquez. I wish we could choose both of them at pick 11! Two for one deal? BOGO?

The Chargers now have holes at both guard spots on the offensive line. Dunlap isn’t exactly the best solution at tackle, but he is someone that can give us options. At least he won’t fake injuries. I still would have rather signed Max Starks from the Steelers. We can still do that Tom!

Vazquez signs with the Broncos.

a four-year deal reportedly worth $23.5 million with $13 million fully guaranteed.
:unsure: But they did claim RB Fozzy Whittaker off waivers! :excited:

Following Ken Whisenhunt over from the Cardinals, running back Fuzzy Whittaker joined the Chargers via a waiver claim on Tuesday.

Whittaker, 24, went undrafted and unsigned out of Texas last year following a season-ending knee injury late in his senior season.

The Cardinals signed him following a tryout last December, and he spent the season's final two weeks on their practice squad.

At the time of his injury suffered in November 2011, Whittaker led the Longhorns in touchdowns, two off kickoff returns.

Whittaker, 5-foot-10 and 202 pounds, missed part of his freshman year with a knee injury after redshirting. He finished his college career with 15 total TDs and 1,233 yards rushing on 4.8 per carry. He caught 73 passes for 464 yards.
:lol:

They've released Garay.

As expected, the Chargers have cut nose tackle Antonio Garay.

The move saves $5 million, as Garay, 33, was due a $1.5 million signing bonus and $3.5 million in salary.

Cam Thomas, 24, could play more as a result of the move, although this year's draft is said to be deep in defensive linemen. Tom Telesco has said he's interested in retaining Aubrayo Franklin, 32, who appeared in 12 games last year.

Neither Thomas nor Franklin had a sack last year, but each contributed to a run defense that ended fifth in yards per carry.

A sixth-round pick of the Browns in 2003, Garay appeared in eight games last year and had one sack and seven tackles. His best season of four with the Chargers came in 2010, when he had 5.5 sacks and 37 tackles as the hub to their three-man line.

They've released Garay.

The move saves $5 million, as Garay, 33, was due a $1.5 million signing bonus and $3.5 million in salary.

Cam Thomas, 24, could play more as a result of the move, although this year's draft is said to be deep in defensive linemen. Tom Telesco has said he's interested in retaining Aubrayo Franklin, 32, who appeared in 12 games last year.

Neither Thomas nor Franklin had a sack last year, but each contributed to a run defense that ended fifth in yards per carry.

A sixth-round pick of the Browns in 2003, Garay appeared in eight games last year and had one sack and seven tackles. His best season of four with the Chargers came in 2010, when he had 5.5 sacks and 37 tackles as the hub to their three-man line.
His haircut will be miss. I thought he was a serviceable player

They've released Garay.

His haircut will be miss. I thought he was a serviceable player
Yeah, seems like they're saving up the sheckels for something. I hope it's not just to stuff then into Spanos's pockets for the move to L.A.

Financials on Derek Cox Thu Mar 14, 12:22 AM

Updating a previous report, San Diego Chargers CB Derek Cox signed for four years and $20 million, with $10.25 million guaranteed, according to a league source.

'Bucky86 said:
:yawn: Anyone think we win more than 7 games next year?
No
This team is just good enough to get to .500 and screw us of any great players in the draft.
:kicksrock:
We have to wait and see how the draft goes. Obviously they're not trying to rebuild through free agency, which makes sense, particularly since they already have some serious baggage to deal with in bad contracts vs. the salary cap. Turns out A.J. did an even worse job than I thought previously.I'm still in the camp that, if they can't improve the offensive line (and as of now it's actually gotten worse since the end of the season), they should seriously think about dealing Rivers. He's not going to have much of a career behind what they've got. I'm still assuming OL is addressed in a significant way in the draft.

'Bucky86 said:
:yawn:

Anyone think we win more than 7 games next year?
No
This team is just good enough to get to .500 and screw us of any great players in the draft.
We have to wait and see how the draft goes. Obviously they're not trying to rebuild through free agency, which makes sense, particularly since they already have some serious baggage to deal with in bad contracts vs. the salary cap. Turns out A.J. did an even worse job than I thought previously.I'm still in the camp that, if they can't improve the offensive line (and as of now it's actually gotten worse since the end of the season), they should seriously think about dealing Rivers. He's not going to have much of a career behind what they've got. I'm still assuming OL is addressed in a significant way in the draft.
I hate to say it but you're right. I think the Chargers are in the worst shape I've seen them since 2003 and with the lousy contracts A.J. signed I don't see them seriously contending anytime soon. They need a draft on the level of 2004 for to make it worth keeping Rivers.

'Bucky86 said:

No
I hate to say it but you're right. I think the Chargers are in the worst shape I've seen them since 2003 and with the lousy contracts A.J. signed I don't see them seriously contending anytime soon. They need a draft on the level of 2004 for to make it worth keeping Rivers.
I don't see this at all. There are several issues:1. Rivers still has 3 years remaining on his contract. If they trade him, $8.4M will hit the cap for his remaining signing bonus. Not sure if his $6M option bonus in 2010 was fully counted against the 2010 cap or was amortized, and not sure if there are any other incentive bonuses that would add to that hit. Regardless, $8.4M is a significant amount of dead money to take. I suppose if the Chargers decided to write off 2013 as a rebuilding year, and especially if they felt they really need to write off 2013 and 2014, they could accept that hit.

2. What would the Chargers get in return? If it wouldn't be substantive, why do it?

3. But what teams are going to trade something substantive for him, coming off the performance he had last season? He is due to make $12M in 2013, $13.8M in 2014, and $15.75M in 2015. That's a lot of money, so they would have to feel he is a clear starter for at least the next few years and feel that giving the Chargers something substantive is worth it above and beyond Rivers' salary. That implies they would expect him to rebound from his recent decline. And presumably they will need to feel that they have other pieces already in place, such as a strong offensive line.

4. Who would play QB for the Chargers?

5. What would be fan reaction? I don't live in San Diego, so I don't know how they feel about Rivers, but isn't he both the face of the franchise and active in the community? I would assume he is a popular player. I have expected for a while that Rivers would retire as a Charger.

My feeling is that Rivers is young enough to rebuild around him. Unless the team decides he is in an irreversible downward spiral in performance that cannot be reversed, keeping him seems like the best alternative.

This team is rebuilding guys, lets face it. A few wins vs the radiers & chiefs will hide the issue this team has and push SD out of the top5 picks wise.

Sign

I hope McCoy/teledeso (sp?) are the right men for the job.

A good coach, a good GM, and a great QB can turn a 7-9 team into a 10-6 team pretty quickly, especially when that 7-9 team was extremely close to being 10-6 last year anyway.

I still believe and think they'll be in the playoffs this year.

What's up with Danario Alexander? He was given a low tender offer, do the Chargers want to bring him back? He's a really good WR when healthy, I think a lot of teams could use a guy like him.

A good coach, a good GM, and a great QB can turn a 7-9 team into a 10-6 team pretty quickly, especially when that 7-9 team was extremely close to being 10-6 last year anyway. I still believe and think they'll be in the playoffs this year.
IMO it remains to be seen if the chargers have any of the 3.Rivers has regressed the past two years big time, blame it on coaching, oline or him. I dont see the oline getting fixed just yet.

'Just Win Baby said:
'cstu said:
'Gr00vus said:
'Bucky86 said:
'cstu said:

No
I don't see this at all. There are several issues:1. Rivers still has 3 years remaining on his contract. If they trade him, $8.4M will hit the cap for his remaining signing bonus. Not sure if his $6M option bonus in 2010 was fully counted against the 2010 cap or was amortized, and not sure if there are any other incentive bonuses that would add to that hit. Regardless, $8.4M is a significant amount of dead money to take. I suppose if the Chargers decided to write off 2013 as a rebuilding year, and especially if they felt they really need to write off 2013 and 2014, they could accept that hit.

2. What would the Chargers get in return? If it wouldn't be substantive, why do it?

3. But what teams are going to trade something substantive for him, coming off the performance he had last season? He is due to make $12M in 2013, $13.8M in 2014, and $15.75M in 2015. That's a lot of money, so they would have to feel he is a clear starter for at least the next few years and feel that giving the Chargers something substantive is worth it above and beyond Rivers' salary. That implies they would expect him to rebound from his recent decline. And presumably they will need to feel that they have other pieces already in place, such as a strong offensive line.

5. What would be fan reaction? I don't live in San Diego, so I don't know how they feel about Rivers, but isn't he both the face of the franchise and active in the community? I would assume he is a popular player. I have expected for a while that Rivers would retire as a Charger.

My feeling is that Rivers is young enough to rebuild around him. Unless the team decides he is in an irreversible downward spiral in performance that cannot be reversed, keeping him seems like the best alternative.
1. It would be a rebuilding year but frankly I think it already is. I believe they would only be out $4M that is left on his signing bonus. 2/3. With salaries of $12M, $14M and nearly $16M he won't be cheap to another team but since none of it is guaranteed they may be able to get a high 1st plus other picks for him.

4. I really don't care and would rather go 0-16 to get Bridgewater than muddle through another mediocre season.

5. He's popular but the team hasn't done what it was expected to do with him at QB. Not his fault IMO but it is what it is.

'Nucker101 said:
What's up with Danario Alexander? He was given a low tender offer, do the Chargers want to bring him back? He's a really good WR when healthy, I think a lot of teams could use a guy like him.
No belief he'll stay healthy and/or teams don't go after RFA's.

'Just Win Baby said:
'cstu said:
'Gr00vus said:
'Bucky86 said:
'cstu said:

No

1. It would be a rebuilding year but frankly I think it already is. I believe they would only be out $4M that is left on his signing bonus. 2/3. With salaries of $12M, $14M and nearly $16M he won't be cheap to another team but since none of it is guaranteed they may be able to get a high 1st plus other picks for him.

4. I really don't care and would rather go 0-16 to get Bridgewater than muddle through another mediocre season.

5. He's popular but the team hasn't done what it was expected to do with him at QB. Not his fault IMO but it is what it is.
1. Don't get how it can be $4M left. He signed a 7 year contract in 2009 with a $19.55M signing bonus. How do you get $4M remaining from that?2/3. I think you must be smoking something to think they could get a high 1st plus other picks for him. From what teams? Make a case.

2/3. I think you must be smoking something to think they could get a high 1st plus other picks for him. From what teams? Make a case.
I don't know if it would be a high first (you can't know at this point), but I could see someone like the Jets being interested. How about Cleveland? Cardinals? Tennessee isn't that far from NC, although they may be happy with Locker. I don't think they'd have a problem finding a suitor, acceptable compensation could be an issue, as you say.

'Just Win Baby said:
'cstu said:
'Gr00vus said:
'Bucky86 said:
'cstu said:

No

1. Don't get how it can be $4M left. He signed a 7 year contract in 2009 with a $19.55M signing bonus. How do you get $4M remaining from that?2/3. I think you must be smoking something to think they could get a high 1st plus other picks for him. From what teams? Make a case.
1. I got it from his Spotrac page. I believe that's because teams can only spread a signing bonus over 5 years.2. My case would be the 49ers got the #34 and a late 3rd/early 4th for Alex Smith. The Bengals end up with a 1st (17th) and 2nd (#37) for Palmer.

'cstu said:
'Just Win Baby said:
'cstu said:
'Gr00vus said:

No

1. I got it from his Spotrac page. I believe that's because teams can only spread a signing bonus over 5 years.2. My case would be the 49ers got the #34 and a late 3rd/early 4th for Alex Smith. The Bengals end up with a 1st (17th) and 2nd (#37) for Palmer.
I stand corrected on the cap hit. Thanks for the link.I agree that the Alex Smith deal suggests precedent, but I wouldn't put much stock in the Palmer example; I think most felt at the time that it was a stupid move on the Raiders' part.

When I asked for a case, I meant that I'd like to see someone identify teams who might actually consider making such a trade. For example, some might say the Cardinals would be such a team. But they have a bad OL, too. So they would be putting Rivers into the same situation he has struggled in the past two years. Given that, I seriously doubt they would give up a first round pick and more and pay Rivers as much as he is due to make.

More importantly, there is no indication the team would even consider trading him.

Users who are viewing this thread