What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 2014 WORLD SERIES THREAD: KC vs. SF*** (1 Viewer)

Strickland is the neighborhood hussey. Sure KC over celebrated for a game two HR, but shut your Damn mouth and get somebody out.

Looks like Vegas gets my money. I had sf in 4

Was Hunter Strickland good during the regular season?
Not like they have a two time cy young winner available.

(As a note, what is the hall of fame discussion like around the freak? No one else has two cy youngs and two - maybe three - rings without being in the hall)

If you have to turn in a stinker, game 2 after a road win is the best time to do it. Unlike last night, the game was closer than the score indicated but you have to credit the Royals for converting their opportunity for a huge inning. Bochy managed his bullpen aggressively early on and played the platoon splits. But the percentages don't matter when your pitcher hangs 'em.

I have no fear of Jeremy Guthrie and Jason Vargas.

If you have to turn in a stinker, game 2 after a road win is the best time to do it. Unlike last night, the game was closer than the score indicated but you have to credit the Royals for converting their opportunity for a huge inning. Bochy managed his bullpen aggressively early on and played the platoon splits. But the percentages don't matter when your pitcher hangs 'em.

I agree with all this.

If I'm a giants fan I'm still thrilled with the split. Having said that I've always thought 2 3 2 sucked because winning three straight is hard but if you don't it comes back here and then clinching on the road is also hard.

As an aside what happened to lincecum. Hee was so good.. did he get a big check and start slacking?

I agree with all this.

If I'm a giants fan I'm still thrilled with the split. Having said that I've always thought 2 3 2 sucked because winning three straight is hard but if you don't it comes back here and then clinching on the road is also hard.

As an aside what happened to lincecum. Hee was so good.. did he get a big check and start slacking?
Still think it will be 2-2 and turn into a best of 3. Have to believe that Bumgarner will give the Giants an edge in the game he pitches. Other than Shields who has been struggling a bit the rest of the starters are a crap shoot for both teams. Ventura has potential but why he gave up on his fastball last night was puzzling. Last night was about what I expected out of Peavy. Only 1K while facing 22 batters and continued his elevated postseason ERA and WHIP. Peavy just can`t throw the ball by hitters anymore and when the Royals keep getting on base they create havoc. Having seen Guthrie and Vargus many times this season they don`t strike fear in anyone. Although Guthrie at times can get on a roll I think the Royals would be giddy to get 5 innings out of him.

Nice to see Omar hit one out last night, always liked him as a Tiger. Strickland needs to get his emotions under control. Guy has a great arm but seems on the verge of exploding.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never heard anything about Lincecum slacking. Most reports suggest the opposite is true. He's worked constantly with his dad, Righetti and Gardner.

Lincecum went to a lot of long counts even when he was at his peak. He probably had less margin for degradation than most front line pitchers. He's 30 now and has lost some velocity like all aging pitchers do. He was hitting 92 last night which is pretty good for him. There have been outings where he barely touched 90. His delivery has a lot of moving parts so he has had some issues with consistency and command. I think these problems have been particularly bad when he's pitching out of the stretch.

In spite of his problems, he is still absolutely loved in SF. Posey, Pablo and Pence are very popular but I think Lincecum is still a level above.

I've never heard anything about Lincecum slacking. Most reports suggest the opposite is true. He's worked constantly with his dad, Righetti and Gardner.

Lincecum went to a lot of long counts even when he was at his peak. He probably had less margin for degradation than most front line pitchers. He's 30 now and has lost some velocity like all aging pitchers do. He was hitting 92 last night which is pretty good for him. There have been outings where he barely touched 90. His delivery has a lot of moving parts so he has had some issues with consistency and command. I think these problems have been particularly bad when he's pitching out of the stretch.

In spite of his problems, he is still absolutely loved in SF. Posey, Pablo and Pence are very popular but I think Lincecum is still a level above.
Of course..he should be. Lincecum burst onto the scene and put together a few incredible seasons. Then some very solid seasons. The guy almost single handedly won me 2 FBB titles in his peak years so I was following the Giants all the time. I saw a special on him where he was at the beach, when I saw his frame and slight build it was amazing he could generate that much power. Have not followed the Giants much this year but the 3 other starters not named Bumgarner are that much better than Lincecum?

Having seen Guthrie and Vargus many times this season they don`t strike fear in anyone. Although Guthrie at times can get on a roll I think the Royals would be giddy to get 5 innings out of him.
That is what I don't like about KC. It's a six inning game when they have Herrera Davis and Holland waiting in the pen. If you can't get an early lead, your team is generally screwed

Having seen Guthrie and Vargus many times this season they don`t strike fear in anyone. Although Guthrie at times can get on a roll I think the Royals would be giddy to get 5 innings out of him.
That is what I don't like about KC. It's a six inning game when they have Herrera Davis and Holland waiting in the pen. If you can't get an early lead, your team is generally screwed
Detroit was 13-6 vs KC this year and I watched pretty much every game. Other than Shields Detroit dominated the KC starters. You are correct though I think Detroit only beat the Royals one time late against the last 3 guys in the pen.

I'm going to tell my grandchildren about this World Series.

[one kid on each knee]

"...and then they were good enough to play the first two games on a Tuesday and Wednesday, to kill time until Thursday Night Football."

Detroit was 13-6 vs KC this year and I watched pretty much every game. Other than Shields Detroit dominated the KC starters. You are correct though I think Detroit only beat the Royals one time late against the last 3 guys in the pen.
I'm beyond thankful that Baltimore beat Detroit, and I'm still not really sure how they did that because Detroit oVVns KC and i would have had 0 confidence they could beat Detroit in a best of any game series.

[one kid on each knee]

"...and then they were good enough to play the first two games on a Tuesday and Wednesday, to kill time until Thursday Night Football."
"What's football, Grandpa?"

Eephus said:

You shouldn't fear Guthrie or Vargas. The key will be getting to them early.

Yost is now convinced it's OK to bring Herrera in before the 7th. This is a big development. The Royals also have another bullpen option (Brandon Finnegan, their first-round pick this year) who can get through a middle inning, preferably one against the lower part of the order and featuring left-handed bats.

So tomorrow night, Yost will be ready to pull Guthrie after facing Pence a third time - bring in Finnegan to face Belt, Ishikawa, and Crawford, then turn it over to the Cerberus to finish the game. Yost can get a little sentimental about Shields and Ventura, but he'll yank the back of the rotation.

Dentist said:
Da Guru said:
tjnc09 said:
Da Guru said:
I'm beyond thankful that Baltimore beat Detroit, and I'm still not really sure how they did that because Detroit oVVns KC and i would have had 0 confidence they could beat Detroit in a best of any game series.
I honestly was happy to get Baltimore first rd. KC had been on fire the last month and the Birds were without their top 2 hitters. Would have been nice to play KC in the second rd though and have 2 Central teams in the finals.

RnR said:
Raider Nation said:

[one kid on each knee]

"What's football, Grandpa?"
"The sport where a meaningless regular-season game quadrupled the ratings of a championship baseball game, son."

The craziest part is that they all think they do it better than the other guys when we know they all do it the same, only worse.

Fox has offered us the best seat in the house to the World Series. But the invite included Faustian hooks:

Harold Reynolds, seated to our immediate left, after every pitch and play leans in toward our ears to deliver a lengthy, often needless and occasionally silly speech about the last pitch or play.

Then Tom Verducci, to our immediate right, leans into our ears to agree or disagree, or offer different thoughts about two-strike change-ups, and other matters of maybe.

Then Joe Buck, seated directly behind us, leans into our ears, his voice often pulsing with dramatic anticipation, to prep us for the next pitch.

And then it all starts over, our central nervous systems taking an early, then steady, beating.

Every few minutes, an unidentified person seated right in front of us, sticks signs carrying words and lots of numbers right in our faces. And then Harold, Tom or Joe or all three gets back in our ears to repeat and discuss those words and stats.

And so, the latest best seat in the house deal is an invite to have our good senses shredded. TV execs think they cant do enough for us; they dont consider that they cant do enough to us! Fox, before Game 1, issued a news release headed, Fox Sports Set For Most Comprehensive, Technology-Advanced World Series Coverage Ever

Noooo! What Fox what all networks issue as good-news boasts, read as warnings. Its like advertising, 43 percent more artificial additives! or Now with extra lard!

If Fox by now thinks were excited its using 226 cameras (3-D and 3,000-pixels per-frame slo-mo numbers, plus Resin Bag-Cam), helicopters, blimps, barrage balloons, technicians wired as robots, robots wired as technicians, hand-held remote-controlled umpire cattle prods, gyroscopic bullpen magnetizers, a synthetic second-base synthesizer, Erin Andrews text address, a digitized rotation counter/virtual toaster oven, lava lamps, 12 roving reporters, 10 live dead bolts, hams in need of curing and a wired-for-sound partridge in a pear tree, well, were not.

Well, Im not.

The more gadgets and intrusive-by-design humans, the more Fox will be compelled to press every button especially ours!

Game 1, Reynolds: I was just handed a note, here: That was only the third time, all game, that the Royals swung and missed on [Madison] Bumgarner.

All game was 3-0, Giants, one out, bottom of the third inning!

During every half-inning as predetermined Fox has forsaken the field for in-dugout or in-stands, on-camera, look-what-we-can-do interviews or reports of small-to-no value. Hunter Pence, reputed heart and soul of the Giants, homered his first at-bat in Game 1. So what did Fox do during his second at-bat? It cut from Pence to an on-camera with Andrews, who told us Pence is a fuse-lighter, a guy to keep our eyes on!

Yet, when it was time to be heard the Fox went silent. Wednesday, Kansas Citys Eric Hosmer made the last out of the seventh inning of Game 2. He swung and missed at strike three. The ball kicked away from Giants catcher Buster Posey. No matter that it was the World Series, Hosmer watched and waited for Posey to retrieve the ball, walk over, tag him out.

Hosmer didnt even try to force a throw. Must be saving himself for spring training. But it wasnt worth a mention.

Tuesday, the last commercial before the bottom of the fourth was for MLB.coms sale of postseason merchandise: Caps, jerseys, hoodies, jackets and more. Back to Kansas City, the first words from Buck were on behalf of MLB.com: Caps, jerseys, hoodies, jackets and more Aaaargh!

The bigger the event the greater the dare to the senses. Best seat in the house, the crazy house.
http://nypost.com/2014/10/24/why-foxs-world-series-coverage-is-so-painful-to-the-senses/

Guthrie vs. Hudson...Jesus Christ.
If we can't have ace v. ace, I like matchups like these. Vets who might be in a little above their heads. If one of them pitches a gem, they're a hero in a Max McGee kind of way. If both struggle, watching the managers try to keep the truck on the road in the storm will be fascinating.

If we can't have ace v. ace, I like matchups like these. Vets who might be in a little above their heads. If one of them pitches a gem, they're a hero in a Max McGee kind of way. If both struggle, watching the managers try to keep the truck on the road in the storm will be fascinating.
Hudson is a first ballot HoVG lock.
That's the story of his career, isn't it? A HoVG pitcher on a bunch of HoVG teams.

Hudson is a first ballot HoVG lock.
That's the story of his career, isn't it? A HoVG pitcher on a bunch of HoVG teams.
You get enough HoVG players and you can win enough games that shame folks into putting these players into the HOF.

Big lineup changes for KC:

Escobar

Gordon (up from 6)

Cain (playing RF instead of CF)

Hosmer

Moustakas (up from 9)

Infante (up from 8)

Perez

Dyson (playing CF)

Guthrie

no Aoki (adding more defense in RF and CF), no Butler (DH without a position)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread