What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2015 College Football Thread *** (1 Viewer)

So legit curious about how the committee will weigh these conference title games. I know they are on the schedule so they need to be played, but is it fair that Bama, Oregon and FSU have to play and potentially lose an extra game that TCU/Baylor don't have?

Say Bama loses. Are they worse off at 11-2 than Baylor is at 11-1? Same with Oregon and FSU. I know this is the way the system is set up but I am curious to see how the committee weighs it. In the past we know the polls would just dump them.
Big12 plays 9 conference games. Those other conferences play 8 conference games + CG.

Also, if Big12 had divisions, Baylor would have won the south, and KSt the North, so this game is a quasi-CG.
13th game.

More smoke to the Jim Tressel fire, the Vegas places offering prop bets for next Nebraska HC have stop offering the bet (Tressel was -120). Also rumors from players in the program (who has been silent on social media since the meeting between AD and players last night) that Tressel will be on campus today to tour facilities. But that's all second hand at best, so probably don't trust it.

EDIT: Gotta love the age of social media. Rumors spreading from football players talking about meeting last night w/ AD in their classes today. Word is that decision has been made on the new hire and the announcement will come Wednesday. Take that for the little that it is worth.
Thanks for the info. That's what I'm hearing a lot of today as well. Also, a Scott Frost sighting at Valentino's last night! OC maybe?If it is Tressel, your thoughts?
So, the OC of a team that has a championship game this Friday flew half way across the country for dinner?

I know nothing of Nebraska football, but common sense says even if Frost becomes the OC, it won't be until after the playoffs. You don't miss a chance to be on a national championship staff, right?
Sorry, the Frost comment was kind of tongue in cheek. I mean, I really DID hear that rumor, but I don't put much stock in it. With family here, I suppose it COULD be true, but I think he's got more important things to worry about than a 1 day trip for thanksgiving dinner at a local pizza place.

OK, seriously though

Tressel is not a football coach anymore he is the University President at YSU. Isn't it kind of a bad look to bail on that position after less than a year to go back into coaching? I know it is a small school but that is an important position.
YSU is in the FCS. It's not a small school.

Husker fans: do you just want to see the team play better or are you looking for a more exciting brand of football? Or would you prefer to go back to the I back option?

OK, seriously though

Tressel is not a football coach anymore he is the University President at YSU. Isn't it kind of a bad look to bail on that position after less than a year to go back into coaching? I know it is a small school but that is an important position.
It's got an enrollment of 15k+ but an endowment of only 200+ million. As far as University President jobs go, it's fairly low on the totem pole.

Jorts were united this weekend! Too bad Jimbanjo continues to find ways to beat state rivals. 9-1 last 5 years. I'd guess 5% of the stadium was wearing Orange/Blue, if that (and that includes the band). Crowd also not as loud as other games this year at least where I was sitting (which was right next to Sammy Smith if any of you were at the game). I think Muschamps interview as FSU DC (I know it wont) went over very well. Guy can coach defense.

Hard to imagine this FSU team winning out. Could it happen? Sure. Only one thing is for certain...it won't be the Gators or to Miami (Bitcoinbowlboundbaby!) to end the streak. Thanks for sucking so much, we welcome in the new recruits.

Signed, state champs (again). #####es getcho Yellow Jackets gear ready, this could be the week. Or it couldn't.
So is this homer shtick or nah?
Signs point to yes

Husker fans: do you just want to see the team play better or are you looking for a more exciting brand of football? Or would you prefer to go back to the I back option?
Osborne has said that if he had kept coaching he would likely have evolved the offense into something closer to what Urban Myers does. While I think most fans will always have a soft spot for the power running game, winning is the only thing that really matters. I'd be happy with the run and shoot offense if it translated into Conference Championships and regular top 10 finishes.

OK, seriously though

wow, i stand corrected

15k students

even more reason why it seems odd to fly from that job after such a short time. I duno, it would make the whole system seem even more of a joke if someone left the position of president to coach football somewhere else.

Yeah, as expected refutations of the Tressel rumors starting to crop up. I still want Scott Frost. I don't care that he's unproven, I think he's a smart coach with a bright future that wants to be here. It'd be nice to see him be a HC somewhere else first to prove it, but rarely does this kind of timing happen.

Hope I'm wrong, but if Texas came calling for Mora, I think there's a good chance he'd leave. For once FDAS is right; Texas is the number #1 job for college football coaches in the country- period.

Colin Cowherd today ranked the top 3:

1. Texas

2. USC

3. Georgia

Pretty much agree with this.
I don't know whether he would or would not leave for Texas, but why do you think there's a good chance he would leave?

And, I'm not sure it would matter in his thinking (I'd guess it would not), but it would be pretty uncomfortable for Mora on September 13, 2014, to be wearing burnt orange and white on the sideline opposite the 70 or so UCLA players that he recruited in next year's game at Cowboys Stadium.
He should probably avoid all of that an come to Nebraska.

:excited: :lmao: :P
You want Scott Frost. You NEED Scott Frost.
Nostramalaise

Tom Servo said:
wadegarrett said:
ETA: Wisconsin -3 is free money. Cardale Jones sucks and he's going against the best defense in the B1G. Not to mention OSU can't stop the run. Melvin Gordon may get his record back this weekend.
Reverse jinx shtick? :popcorn:
Unfortunately no. Check out the FBS team stats and it's a match-up nightmare for OSU's defense. Will be surprised if OSU can keep it closer than 14 with Barrett out.

dparker713 said:
Tom Servo said:
B-Deep said:
OK, seriously though

It's got an enrollment of 15k+ but an endowment of only 200+ million. As far as University President jobs go, it's fairly low on the totem pole.
I was discussing it from a football perspective, Einstein.

Smelter, GT's best WR, is done for the year. I know people assume we don't need our WR and at times that's possible but I think we'll have to throw it some to beat FSU and this hurts us doing that. Mostly hate it for him, he was good enough to be all-ACC at WR playing for Tech, so you know he's talented.

Smelter, GT's best WR, is done for the year. I know people assume we don't need our WR and at times that's possible but I think we'll have to throw it some to beat FSU and this hurts us doing that. Mostly hate it for him, he was good enough to be all-ACC at WR playing for Tech, so you know he's talented.
He had to die in order for FSU to live.

So the Big 12 will crown 'One True Champion' by splitting their title, letting TCU get the CFP bid, but naming Baylor champion if TCU gets left out of the CFP.

So the Big 12 will crown 'One True Champion' by splitting their title, letting TCU get the CFP bid, but naming Baylor champion if TCU gets left out of the CFP.
It'll be awesome for "one true champion" to be split. They should go ahead and just add UCF & Cincy, get to 12 and be done with it.

It'll be awesome for "one true champion" to be split. They should go ahead and just add UCF & Cincy, get to 12 and be done with it.
I kinda like the ten team everyone plays everyone thing. I wish they wouldn't be weird about this, just make h2h a firm tiebreaker in the event of a tie. If the committee is impressionable enough to let that impact their decision the whole thing is a farce.

I kinda like the ten team everyone plays everyone thing. I wish they wouldn't be weird about this, just make h2h a firm tiebreaker in the event of a tie. If the committee is impressionable enough to let that impact their decision the whole thing is a farce.
:goodposting:

Isn't this the way everyone has done it in the history of college football when there weren't conference title games? Why do people suddenly seem to realize this now? Texas and Alabama both have a half dozen conference titles on the stadium wall where they were really co-champions.

Better trademark "Two True Champions" quick.
This is what you get with chicken####s in charge. There's a tiebreaker in place. So use it. I know why they are afraid to just come out and say Baylor is the champ--they don't want to hurt TCU if that's the way the committee is leaning. But it's their own damned fault for not bringing in 2 teams and having a GD championship game. The best thing that could happen would be for the committee to take OSU and leave the B12 hanging. That would be the kick in the pants they need to get back to a championship game.

dparker713 said:
Tom Servo said:
B-Deep said:
OK, seriously though

And yet an actually relevant way to describe the importance of University President position is to discuss the whole school, not just the football program.

dparker713 said:
Tom Servo said:
B-Deep said:
OK, seriously though

And yet an actually relevant way to describe the importance of University President position is to discuss the whole school, not just the football program.
You're the one discussing the presidency of the university; I'm talking about footBAW!

The first Sexton client gets his raise...

By Parrish Alford

Daily Journal

OXFORD – The future for Hugh Freeze as Ole Miss football coach is officially unresolved.

However, Daily Journal sources Monday evening said Freeze has reached a verbal agreement to sign a contract extension that will play him at least $4 million a year. He’s expected to sign the deal soon.

Regarding the Cornhuskers: my Nebraska relatives think they are simply a coach away from returning to their Tom Osborne years of national glory, and that they can recruit with the SEC and Florida teams. Do you guys agree with this assessment?
Of course not. But most schools (Tennessee, Michigan, etc) with history act this way during a coaching change.

Isn't this the way everyone has done it in the history of college football when there weren't conference title games? Why do people suddenly seem to realize this now? Texas and Alabama both have a half dozen conference titles on the stadium wall where they were really co-champions.
It's not new...but the marketing combined with it is pretty funny you have to admit...and the rest of the conferences have moved forward, some over 20 years ago.

By Marc Farzetta

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — According to a source with direct knowledge of the situation, University of Florida Athletic Director Jeremy Foley will contact Eagles head coach Chip Kelly as early as Tuesday of this week to “kick the tires” on Kelly’s interest in returning to the college scene.

The source went on to say, “Foley does not plan to officially interview Kelly yet, but will simply gauge Kelly’s interest and make his first pitch.”

Why would Kelly want to come back so soon? He's having success right now. He's even made a QB out of Mark Sanchez, which is astounding.

Users who are viewing this thread