What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2015 College Football Thread *** (3 Viewers)

FSU is a 56 point favorite ( :lmao: ) against the mighty Idaho ummmm......Idahoans?

Has there ever been a bigger spread for a game between two 1A schools?

They'll cover it too. I'm laying the 56.
The Idaho Vandals.

An appropriate name since apparently Idaho produces a lot of criminals.

Here's a really poorly written blog post with lots of contradictions, but since everyone hates the Big 10 here it might get some lulz

http://stholeary.blogspot.com/2013/10/how-big-ten-network-destroyed-big-ten.html
Of course, during the seven-year period of unmatched financial growth, the Big Ten’s actual football product has devolved into by far the worst of the “Major” five conferences, and neck and neck with the American at the moment.
You could make this argument for this year, but not over the last 6.

CBS not suprisingly puts The Iron Bowl in the 3:30 slot....UF-FSU relegated to noon. UGA-GT and SCAR-Clemson get the night slots.

Anyone that thinks Oregon would put up 50 on Auburn AND win by 20 does not watch or understand football.

Stanford already showed the formula of how to beat Oregon. Control the clock and run it down the throats of the weak Oregon defensive line.

Auburn has the #1 rushing offense in the nation. Unless Oregon picked up a few new defensive tackles, they would simply get run over. The same way they got run over by a team that lost to a very average USC team and lost to a bad Utah team.

I'm not saying Auburn would win by 20 or even win. But it would definitely be close. Saying Oregon would win by 20 over Auburn is moronic, biased hyperbole. Try watching the games.
I have to admit that I haven't watched a ton of Auburn this year, so this is going to be an entirely stats-based post, but the stats don't indicate what you are stating.

Auburn has the #3 rushing offense in terms of yardage per game, but they are behind several teams in yards per rush, including Oregon. Oregon (#22 in yards per rush allowed) has a better rush defense than Auburn (#77 in same), both in terms of total yardage and yards per rush. And, Oregon's done it against a tougher overall schedule.

Auburn's defense is ranked #77 in opponent's yards per play (and #72 overall in defense). Oregon is #8. Oregon has at least a chance to slow down Auburn (particularly since they are one-dimensional). It's tough to say the same about Auburn against Oregon with those numbers for Auburn's defense. Only four teams have held Oregon below 50 this year (UCLA, Stanford, Washington and Utah) and they all have better defenses than Auburn. Oregon would probably hang 50 on Auburn and I wouldn't be shocked if they won by 20+.

In terms of UCLA vs. Auburn, this is a good matchup for UCLA. UCLA, since losing two starting OLs and the #6 OL on the team to injury, has struggled a bit on offense. Auburn has a bad defense, particularly against the run. Auburn excels running the ball, but UCLA is pretty strong against the run. And, knowing that Auburn can't pass, I'd expect them to be even more stout against the run. I don't know how often UCLA wins against them, but it would be at least 50% at a neutral site.

USC played only 2 subs on defense last night and one of those played one snap.

Crazy.
This was the main reason that Gdogg thought this game wouldn't be close and that Stanford would wear them out. But it's one game, at home. If your players are energized they don't notice how tired they are; the adrenalin lasts through all 4 quarters.
I have no idea if I posted it or not, but I did think it would be close . . . through halftime and maybe half the third quarter. Then, I thought Stanford's OL and Gaffney would pound them into submission. I was half wrong. Southern Cal couldn't stop Stanford's running game very well (Stanford ripped off 6 yards per rush and Gaffney averaged 6.6).

But, Kevin Hogan was simply awful. Southern Cal has a very good DL, particularly Leonard Williams, and they pressured Stanford into making mistakes that they normally don't make. They did a great job.

Also, Southern Cal attacked Stanford's defense as they should have - through the air. They did a very good job of throwing the ball and that's the way to beat Stanford.

It was a great game and a great win by Southern Cal. Unfortunately, because ASU beat Oregon St. on Saturday, unless ASU loses to Arizona next week, then Southern Cal cannot win the Pac-12 South, so next week's UCLA-Southern Cal game won't be for the Pac-12 title (other than for UCLA).

@someone not wearing crimson on Saturdays: Is AJ McCarron NFL starting QB material? I have no clue when it comes to this type of thing.

I hope Jordan Matthews makes it rain somewhere, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
culdeus said:
Here's a really poorly written blog post with lots of contradictions, but since everyone hates the Big 10 here it might get some lulz

http://stholeary.blogspot.com/2013/10/how-big-ten-network-destroyed-big-ten.html
The post was bad enough....then you go to the comments and it gets worse....didn't think that was possible. Poor guy doesn't understand the goal is to make :moneybag: and the B1G is making it hand over fist. Pointing to how crappy the televised product is completely misses that point. The conference as a whole has sucked for the last 5 - 6 years with sanctions and RR not helping things, improvement has been delayed. I don't think anyone questions that. I thought Michigan might begin pulling it's weight a lot better this year, but then Borges decides to go and crap the bed screwing that idea. The realignment will do a better job of having that "contender"....having the competition spread between the divisions was dumb IMO.

General Malaise said:
FSU is a 56 point favorite ( :lmao: ) against the mighty Idaho ummmm......Idahoans?

OU was something like a 70+ point favorite a few years ago when they were scoring a million points a game. Can't remember who that was against, but I do recall the line. The total in the game was only a few points higher. They didn't cover, IIRC.

Idaho is terrible. They were responsible for Old Dominion's first win over an FBS school, although I think the definition is very stretched when it comes to our beloved Vandals of Moscow, ID. Dennis Erickson coached there. Twice. It's an armpit. There is no easy way to get there and once you do, you'll want to leave in a hurry. It's like somebody scooped up Starksville, Miss and relocated it 2000 miles.

They'll cover 56 by half time.
:lmao: Great line :thumbup:

Is Ohio State ranked above Baylor in the BCS for any reason other than they are Ohio State?
For the most part, no. Baylor's ahead in computer rankings, Ohio State is ahead in human polls.

However, Ohio State's still fairly close in computer rankings because they already played the meat of their schedule. If Baylor beats Oklahoma State, that should widen the computer rankings gap enough that they move into 3rd.

General Malaise said:

OU was something like a 70+ point favorite a few years ago when they were scoring a million points a game. Can't remember who that was against, but I do recall the line. The total in the game was only a few points higher. They didn't cover, IIRC.

Idaho is terrible. They were responsible for Old Dominion's first win over an FBS school, although I think the definition is very stretched when it comes to our beloved Vandals of Moscow, ID. Dennis Erickson coached there. Twice. It's an armpit. There is no easy way to get there and once you do, you'll want to leave in a hurry. It's like somebody scooped up Starksville, Miss and relocated it 2000 miles.

They'll cover 56 by half time.
:lmao: Great line :thumbup:
That #### is not funny! :mad:

Per the Salt Lake Tribune: Utah football coach Kyle Whittingham announced Monday that sophomore QB Travis Wilson will miss the rest of the season after a "pre-existing" neurological condition was revealed following testing in the aftermath of a first-quarter concussion Wilson suffered in the home loss to Arizona State.

Hearsay alert....a famous FSU alum told a friend of mine that Jameis will be arrested this week.
I've said this before but I have a family member who is a fairly prominent booster and he's heard no dirt. Nobody knows a thing at this point IMO. You have to have a connection to the SAO, not the school to have any intel here.

gump said:
CBS not suprisingly puts The Iron Bowl in the 3:30 slot....UF-FSU relegated to noon. UGA-GT and SCAR-Clemson get the night slots.
I was talking to the other Auburn fans after the miracle catch, that plays like that is why CBS pays the SEC a billion dollars for TV rights - and that the SEC should ask for a bump in payment from CBS for the effect it was going to have on ratings for the Iron Bowl. At least get a copy of that catch in the next RFP to all the networks.

wazoo11 said:
Wait, Auburn is starting a juco transfer at QB this year?

I think I've read this script before. Totally on the Nick Marshall bandwagon.
5-7
Update? :coffee:
Good call. Marshall deserves a lot of credit, but not as much as Gus and his staff. I admitted they put together a good coaching group, but overestimated how long it would take to turn the Chizik train wreck around. He's coach of the year without a doubt.

wazoo11 said:
Wait, Auburn is starting a juco transfer at QB this year?

I think I've read this script before. Totally on the Nick Marshall bandwagon.
5-7
Update? :coffee:
Good call. Marshall deserves a lot of credit, but not as much as Gus and his staff. I admitted they put together a good coaching group, but overestimated how long it would take to turn the Chizik train wreck around. He's coach of the year without a doubt.
I may be the biggest Auburn honk on this board, and I was mildly disappointed with the Malzahn hire. I thought Petrino was the right guy. :bag: I don't think anyone expected this.

ETA: The awesome thing is the offense's two deep has exactly one senior, and he's the fullback who plays maybe 25-35 snaps a game.

Team A - 20, 26, 72. (avg - 39.33)

Team B - 15, 37, 64. (avg - 38.66)

2 teams. Current BCS rankings for remaining opponents.

Care to guess which one is Ohio St and which one is Baylor?

My point is its just not as wide a gap as a lot of people make it out to be. If MSU wins out until the B1G championship, they will undoubtedly be top 10 BCS. People underestimate the boost that would give OSU if they were to win.

I assume this is before factoring in last weekend's games? Oklahoma St will probably be well ahead of MSU now, no?

Dumb question....what are those numbers? Computer rankings? If so, why are there only three listed?

I assume this is before factoring in last weekend's games? Oklahoma St will probably be well ahead of MSU now, no?
:bag:

The article on Bleacher Report cited 'Massey BCS'. I just assumed these were actual BCS standings. Link to Massey BCS rankings.

Dumb question....what are those numbers? Computer rankings? If so, why are there only three listed?
See last post. They are Massey BCS rankings. They are the rankings of the 3 remaining games that each team has. Baylor has Okie St(20), TCU(72) and Texas(26). tOSU has Indiana(64), Michigan(37) and likely MSU(15).

See last post. They are Massey BCS rankings. They are the rankings of the 3 remaining games that each team has. Baylor has Okie St(20), TCU(72) and Texas(26). tOSU has Indiana(64), Michigan(37) and likely MSU(15).
Gotcha...thanks. Can you put your hands on all the computer rankings? I liked where you were going....interested to see the other computer rankings.

Gotcha...thanks. Can you put your hands on all the computer rankings? I liked where you were going....interested to see the other computer rankings.
Link to all the computer rankings used in the BCS formula.

Users who are viewing this thread