What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2015 College Football Thread *** (3 Viewers)

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
Way to make a joke out of yourself in year 1, playoff committee
Usually when an entity gets something dead on right it doesn't get characterized as a joke. A joke is the B12 and their pathetic OOC schedules and no championship games
:confused:

Alabama

Florida State

BYU

UTEP

Maryland

Arkansas

Duke

Iowa

Minnesota

Tennessee

UCLA

Auburn
We were talking about the big boys, Baylor and TCU, not the also rans.
Forgive me for reading B12 and thinking you meant B12. From now on I'll treat your words as not being worthy of consideration.
Context is tough to grasp sometimes. No one cares who Texas or OU played this year. No one. Especially when the past 40 pages of this thread were about the playoffs.

BigJohn said:
:cheers:

Alabama is going to be tough as #### to beat but I'm excited the Buckeyes at least get a chance. :thumbup:
Let's get it on! Better keep some heart paddles near by for Urb.

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
Usually when an entity gets something dead on right it doesn't get characterized as a joke. A joke is the B12 and their pathetic OOC schedules and no championship games

Alabama

Florida State

BYU

UTEP

Maryland

Arkansas

Duke

Iowa

Minnesota

Tennessee

UCLA

Auburn
Forgive me for reading B12 and thinking you meant B12. From now on I'll treat your words as not being worthy of consideration.
Context is tough to grasp sometimes. No one cares who Texas or OU played this year. No one. Especially when the past 40 pages of this thread were about the playoffs.
Who has OSU played? Va. Tech, a team with a losing record in the ACC?

PlasmaDogPlasma said:

Alabama

Florida State

BYU

UTEP

Maryland

Arkansas

Duke

Iowa

Minnesota

Tennessee

UCLA

Auburn
What do you really mean?

timschochet said:
The thing I dislike most in recent years is how almost all of these bowls are locked in- the PAC 12's 3rd place team vs the ACC's 4th place team, etc. this leads to some real mismatches, as well as games nobody is excited about. (Are any of you on pins and needles to watch Arizona vs Boise St.?)

I just wish they would go back to choosing which matchups would be the most entertaining for the viewer.
Was this pre 1980 or something? For as long as I've paid attention to CFB, this is never how it's been.

I kinda liked the committee's polls. I liked that FSU although was undefeated was ranked 4th. The only real controversy was dropping a 3rd ranked team that won by 50 to 6th place in the final poll.

Sinn Fein said:
FreeBaGeL said:
Baylor

Loss: WVU

Good Wins: #6 TCU, #9 KSU, Oklahoma

Ohio State

Loss: VT

Good Wins: #8 MSU, #13 Wisconsin, Minnesota

Why Ohio State? Baylor had a better loss and better wins? I don't get it.
Its FSU who does not belong in the conversation - no good wins...
really?

beat # 11 GT

beat #22 Clemson with out Winston

beat #5 ND

beat #25 Louisville

the ranking are where they were ranked when FSU played them

####### hater

I don't understand why a conference championship matters that much? Conferences have them because you can't play everyone in conference. B12 plays everyone once so the need for a conf. championship seems pretty dumb. If anything, B12 is more natural.
I think the way it's morphed is silly. But that's the way it is now. They should now push for a bunch of 16 team conferences where all division opponents play each other and the conference championship is an actual play-in game.

The committee approach beats computers, coaches who never watch the games, and homer press members. I think we can all agree on that.
Absolutely not. The committee isn't watching the games either. Using only computers is the best approach.
Actually the best approach would be to take all subjectivity out and say all D-1 conferences have to have a championship game and only the champions are eligible for the playoffs. I'd love to see how that shakes out. Maybe the B12 combining with Mountain West for a super conference.

Sinn Fein said:
So, why not just cut to the chase and pit Alabama v. Oregon in the national title game?

The BCS would have done that without all this riff-raff.
BCS would have had FSU and Alabama/Oregon

I don't understand why a conference championship matters that much? Conferences have them because you can't play everyone in conference. B12 plays everyone once so the need for a conf. championship seems pretty dumb. If anything, B12 is more natural.
Then why didn't they have 1 champion?

Bowlsby needs to stop talking, sheesh. I really don't think the committee is penalizing the conference or whatever, they just like tOSU's resume better and that's fine. Hard to argue with them.

My big takeaway is that if you are maxed out with 12 games you can't afford to schedule an FCS team and you also need a marquee ooc win. Baylor and TCU beat ten real teams. I'm glad they are out for selfish reasons but I like and respect Briles and Patterson a ton and they are both awesome coaches so I feel bad for them.

Then why didn't they have 1 champion?
Because that's how they've been doing it since they went to ten teams. I don't understand why a decision that would have been made in a boardroom in May is such a big deal to people. It has no impact on what actually happened on the field. I think they like Ohio State more and just went with that. Hard to take issue with it in my opinion.

The committee approach beats computers, coaches who never watch the games, and homer press members. I think we can all agree on that.
:goodposting: Don't have a problem with any of the selections. They bumped FSU to send them out west and put emphasis on conference champion by bumping OSU.

Sinn Fein said:
So, why not just cut to the chase and pit Alabama v. Oregon in the national title game?

The BCS would have done that without all this riff-raff.
BCS would have had FSU and Alabama/Oregon
ESPN showed the BCS a few days ago. it was

bama

FSU

Oregon

TCU
Yeah....I don't put much stock in this. I've never seen the polls behave like they did this year. They moved teams around a lot more than they did in the BCS era, which was refreshing to see, but in the end that kind of behavior kinda nullifies the "what the BCS would have produced" argument. Had they continued voting like they did under the bcs, then we could talk.

Switching gears a little bit, what Meyer/Ohio State were able to do this week is pretty amazing. For them to come into that game with a new QB and one week to prepare is beyond impressive. Very excited to see what they can do with a month of prep. Hopefully this QB doesn't get injured.

I have to believe that Urban Meyer's Buckeyes won't fold up in the big game the way that the previous coach always did in recent years. Not saying Ohio State is going to win necessarily, but they'll give the Tide a game.

As for the Seminoles, they're going to have to play great from the opening kickoff if they want a chance to win. Their M.O. this season of not really playing hard until late in the 2nd quarter won't fly against Oregon- they'll find themselves too far behind.

Teams playing a conference championship game play an extra game and the potential for "co champions" isn't a concern. Those are two reasons they considered to be positives over the B12 and potential for co champions.

Trying to decide if I should dis an ISU fan friend about this. "Your team is so bad..."

Would be a no-brainer if she wasn't smoking hot and I didn't want to get into her pants. :oldunsure:

I still can't believe the committee didn't just put OSU against Oregon in the Rose. It would've been transparent as hell, but no one would have been upset about it at all regarding the match-ups.
That would mean that FSU was fourth (unless we are dropping Alabama to fourth in this scenario). Several were furious that FSU could be at four last week, so I don't think the bold is true at all.

As for the Seminoles, they're going to have to play great from the opening kickoff if they want a chance to win. Their M.O. this season of not really playing hard until late in the 2nd quarter won't fly against Oregon- they'll find themselves too far behind.
You really think that's what their coaching staffs asked of their players? Wait on playing hard until late on the 2nd Q and THEN unleash hell?

I still can't believe the committee didn't just put OSU against Oregon in the Rose. It would've been transparent as hell, but no one would have been upset about it at all regarding the match-ups.
That would mean that FSU was fourth (unless we are dropping Alabama to fourth in this scenario). Several were furious that FSU could be at four last week, so I don't think the bold is true at all.
Committee would have been generous to put them 4th, as it is they simply overlooked their Mission Statement to pick the 4 best teams.

Wow. FSU is in the rose bowl. That didn't even occur to me. New Year's Day at 5. How cool is that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Committee would have been generous to put them 4th, as it is they simply overlooked their Mission Statement to pick the 4 best teams.
Still don't see a better team than FSU. Not getting enough respect for beating everyone on their schedule and playing well in crunch time. Jimbo's players have a lot of steel.

The ACC as a whole is very underrated this year. I love to hate on the ACC, they have performed well OCC this year. Including a bad Va Tech team beating Ohio State. That conference is much better than the BIG 10, as is the BIG 12.

The guy you really have to feel bad for is Urban Meyer. He ran from the SEC to get away from Nick Saban and he still can't escape him. Expecting a health-related retirement announcement early this week.

One less game their teams had to play = less chance for another loss.

Plus they had an extra bye week during the year because of playing one less game.

Wow. FSU is in the rose bowl. That didn't even occur to me. New Year's Day at 5. How cool is that.
New Year's Day is back, and in a big way. Might be the best thing about this whole deal.
:yes: Most of my friends don't do much on NYE and get together at a bar on NY Day to watch the games. I usually end up having to walk/stumble home from the bar. It's perfect with NY Day on a Thursday and having Friday off this year.

Switching gears a little bit, what Meyer/Ohio State were able to do this week is pretty amazing. For them to come into that game with a new QB and one week to prepare is beyond impressive. Very excited to see what they can do with a month of prep. Hopefully this QB doesn't get injured.
Not really Wisconsin was not a great team. Heck the Big 10 was probably the worst of the P5 conferences. Yet the $$ and name of Ohio St, gets them in over better teams. If you had Ohio St vs TCU or Baylor. Ohio St goes home with the loss.

Its seems rigged to get Bama vs FSU/Oregon for the title game. Since they did not select the best teams.

I feel sorry for whoever plays Baylor and TCU in the bowls. They are going to be playing the disrespect card big time, and they are well-coached, talented teams.

The committee is probably praying tOSU doesn't get trucked by Bama.

Still don't see a better team than FSU. Not getting enough respect for beating everyone on their schedule and playing well in crunch time. Jimbo's players have a lot of steel.

The ACC as a whole is very underrated this year. I love to hate on the ACC, they have performed well OCC this year. Including a bad Va Tech team beating Ohio State. That conference is much better than the BIG 10, as is the BIG 12.
:lmao:

If FSU wins it all I'll admit I was wrong but I expect them to get double digit rolled by Oregon.

FSU is not good enough this year.

Not really Wisconsin was not a great team. Heck the Big 10 was probably the worst of the P5 conferences. Yet the $$ and name of Ohio St, gets them in over better teams. If you had Ohio St vs TCU or Baylor. Ohio St goes home with the loss.

Its seems rigged to get Bama vs FSU/Oregon for the title game. Since they did not select the best teams.
I don't agree with that at all. It was the kid's first game, and he looked great. Pretty much impossible to tell who is better between Baylor and Ohio State.

I feel sorry for whoever plays Baylor and TCU in the bowls. They are going to be playing the disrespect card big time, and they are well-coached, talented teams.

The committee is probably praying tOSU doesn't get trucked by Bama.
Bama should win but this is going to be a closer game than people think.

It's been a fun season, but it ends in the Sugar Bowl for Bama. OSU by 12.

Secondary will get owned by the new QB for OSU (whatever his name is).

Only thing that will keep Bama in the game is if the offense has 0 mistakes like in the SECCG. Can't throw 3 INT's against OSU and hope to win.

Baylor has a OOC with something called "Incarnate Word" scheduled in 2019.

Might want to buy that one out, Art.

I don't agree with that at all. It was the kid's first game, and he looked great. Pretty much impossible to tell who is better between Baylor and Ohio State.
Which Conference was better this year?

Look Big12 got hurt by not having that championship game, which based on having 10 teams they cannot have based on NCAA rules. So how do they fix that? and can they fix it by next year? If not then the Big 12 will be in the same situation.

Also if you are going to require a championship game then you should also have to play 9 conference games. Some leagues only play 8.

Users who are viewing this thread