What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 2018 YANKEE THREAD*** Gleyber Day (2 Viewers)

'Smack Tripper said:
'Michael Brown said:
On a more important note, who is our catcher now? Sanchez/Romine aren't ready, Cervelli is a backup. Who's still out there?
Would you trade Gary Sanchez for Carlos Santana?
In a ####in heartbeat. Why on earth would Cleveland do that?

On a more important note, who is our catcher now? Sanchez/Romine aren't ready, Cervelli is a backup. Who's still out there?
He's got some not insignifcant money coming his way, and I had heard they were down on him after last season. They are clearly not in win now mode, but Sanchez might be ready when they are.

He's got some not insignifcant money coming his way, and I had heard they were down on him after last season. They are clearly not in win now mode, but Sanchez might be ready when they are.
It would take a lot more than Sanchez to get Santana.

Well, we're at $200 million, everybody is 40 years old and broken, we have gaping holes at C, 3B, RF, and we could use a few bench pieces. Meanwhile the Blue Jays vastly improved, and the Rays and Orioles should still be at least as good as they were last season. Maybe the Yankees are just trying to satisfy the fans who were bored with making the playoffs every year.

Well, we're at $200 million, everybody is 40 years old and broken, we have gaping holes at C, 3B, RF, and we could use a few bench pieces. Meanwhile the Blue Jays vastly improved, and the Rays and Orioles should still be at least as good as they were last season. Maybe the Yankees are just trying to satisfy the fans who were bored with making the playoffs every year.
Things are gonna be really exciting this year! :excited: :(

Yanks are reportedly looking at Kevin Pukilis. Please.... no.

Boggs? Okay, fine.

Clemens? Okay, fine.

Damon? Okay, fine.

Youkilis? 100% Douchebag!

I'm starting to think 2013 is going to be a wasted season. The sad part is this will likely be the last go round for Andy and I question how many more years we get from CC at an upper level, the pitching is old but should be pretty solid but it seems likethey are punting the offense.

I'm starting to think 2013 is going to be a wasted season. The sad part is this will likely be the last go round for Andy and I question how many more years we get from CC at an upper level, the pitching is old but should be pretty solid but it seems likethey are punting the offense.
It very well may be a wasted season, but I don't know that they are punting offense. ARod is hurt, which is to be expected but you also can't really plan for it. He's under contract for a ton of money, so it's not as if you can go out and sign a starting 3B just in case Alex's hip exploded.It's a team that was 2nd in the AL in runs (by 4), led in HR, 2nd in BB, led in OPS (2nd in OPS+), and somehow better than league average in K's. The offense is not going to be better than last year over the regular season, but it doesn't have to be for them to remain in contention. The postseason is a whole other matter, but count me among those who think adding Gardner and removing Swisher will help the offense especially in the playoffs (he can't be any worse right?).

Last edited by a moderator:
It very well may be a wasted season, but I don't know that they are punting offense. ARod is hurt, which is to be expected but you also can't really plan for it. He's under contract for a ton of money, so it's not as if you can go out and sign a starting 3B just in case Alex's hip exploded.It's a team that was 2nd in the AL in runs (by 4), led in HR, 2nd in BB, led in OPS (2nd in OPS+), and somehow better than league average in K's. The offense is not going to be better than last year over the regular season, but it doesn't have to be for them to remain in contention. The postseason is a whole other matter, but count me among those who think adding Gardner and removing Swisher will help the offense especially in the playoffs (he can't be any worse right?).
Sorry, I think their offense is going to be alot worse this year. They lost ARod, Swisher, Martin, Chavez, and possibly Ibanez and Ichiro and replaced them with Romine & Gardner. The team is gonna be bad this year.

Sorry, I think their offense is going to be alot worse this year. They lost ARod, Swisher, Martin, Chavez, and possibly Ibanez and Ichiro and replaced them with Romine & Gardner. The team is gonna be bad this year.
To me, Gardner is an upgrade over Swisher. Gardner posted a WAR of 7.0 and 3.7 his last two full seasons versus Swisher's 1.5 and 3.5 and Gardner brings an element to the team that's missing. Martin was at 1.5 WAR last year. Whoever replaces Martin will probably be okay enough. And for all of his playoff heroics, let's not pretend Ibanez was some stud during the regular season. Losing A-Rod and Chavez hurts because it's an entire position that has been greatly weakened, and they could use another bench guy. I'm not saying they'll be as good as last year, but I guess my point is that they had a playoff spot locked up by September last year. This year we have Mo and might have Pineda contributing by June.They could drop off pretty significantly and still at least be in contention for a playoff spot all season long.

To me, Gardner is an upgrade over Swisher. Gardner posted a WAR of 7.0 and 3.7 his last two full seasons versus Swisher's 1.5 and 3.5 and Gardner brings an element to the team that's missing. Martin was at 1.5 WAR last year. Whoever replaces Martin will probably be okay enough. And for all of his playoff heroics, let's not pretend Ibanez was some stud during the regular season. Losing A-Rod and Chavez hurts because it's an entire position that has been greatly weakened, and they could use another bench guy. I'm not saying they'll be as good as last year, but I guess my point is that they had a playoff spot locked up by September last year. This year we have Mo and might have Pineda contributing by June.They could drop off pretty significantly and still at least be in contention for a playoff spot all season long.
Doesn't WAR include defense? Im just talking about offensivelyUs having Mo is basically a wash because Soriano was so good last year and he wont be back

Doesn't WAR include defense? Im just talking about offensivelyUs having Mo is basically a wash because Soriano was so good last year and he wont be back
Yup. I just mean whatever you are losing offensively from Swisher you're making up in Gardner's offense and defense. Same with Martin.Agreed that we won't feel a statistical impact from having Mo back - that's more of a comfort thing.

A-Rod now says he is not having the hip surgery until mid-January. That will put him out until at least July.

This team is aging fast.

I can't believe I am saying this, but the Red Sox might finish with a better record.

Well time to root for the laundry
I agree. It's tough when you're used to rooting for homegrown stars like Alex Rodriguez, CC Sabathia, Mark Teixiera, Roger Clemens, Wade Boggs, Randy Johnson, Curtis Granderson, Nick Swisher, Jason Giambi, Gary Sheffield, Kevin Brown, Mike Mussina, Johnny Damon and AJ Burnett. :thumbup:

The rumors of the Yankees demise have been greatly exaggerated IMO

I love their offseason so far...

One year veteran deals are essentially risk free, and that's what they have pulled off all offseason

Yes, they still need a catcher and a DH, but I still think they have a 750 run offense at the least

Their rotation of: Sabathia/Kuroda/Pettitte/Hughes/Phelps or Nova is a rotation many teams would love to have

2013 isn't my worry, it's 2014

But to call this team a "bottom-of-the-barrel hunk of ####" is absurd, and also why so many people hate Yankee fans

This is no time to be funny.

KEVIN YOUKILIS IS A FRIGGIN YANKEE!!! :wall:

There is not a single person in MLB I'd like to be in pinstripes least. Total jackoff.

Hope he breaks his leg the 1st inning of his first game.

Well time to root for the laundry
I agree. It's tough when you're used to rooting for homegrown stars like Alex Rodriguez, CC Sabathia, Mark Teixiera, Roger Clemens, Wade Boggs, Randy Johnson, Curtis Granderson, Nick Swisher, Jason Giambi, Gary Sheffield, Kevin Brown, Mike Mussina, Johnny Damon and AJ Burnett. :thumbup:
You forgot Jared Wright, Carl Pavano and Javier Vazquez.
Right, cause that's what I was saying. I was saying that the Yankees only have home-grown players. I wasn't at all making a comment about how much I hate Youkilis and how I won't be able to root for the man, so I'll just have to deal with it when he does well and be happy that it helps the team.

I loved it when a then 19 year old Rick Porcello body slammed Youk when he rushed the mound after being hit by a pitch.

12 million for a fading Youk who really can`t field at 3B anymore. Thought Youk would get 5-6 tops and be at 1b.

I could root for anyone that the Yankees signed......except Kevin Youkilis. Do not think I have ever disliked a baseball player more than him.

This is no time to be funny.

KEVIN YOUKILIS IS A FRIGGIN YANKEE!!! :wall:

There is not a single person in MLB I'd like to be in pinstripes least. Total jackoff.

Hope he breaks his leg the 1st inning of his first game.
TOTALLY AGREE....they might as well sign Schilling and Varitek as well.

Yeah, I had to deal with Boggs and I did though I wasn't happy but 1996 kinda numbed the hatred. Then I had to deal with Clemens, which I was ok with because he was removed from Boston a little and I loved the guy anyway for getting all roided up and throwing a bat at Piazza. Then I had to deal with Damon, which was ok I guess, because while he was on that 2004 team, I choose not to remember that year at all save the fact that I know it existed somewhere along the space time continuum.

But this is too much. I was actually kinda understanding the offseason a little and I still think they have a secret no one sees it coming move somewhere and the real interesting year will be next year, 2014, but this just sucks. I can't enjoy watching this guy on my team. At all. As much as I loved the whole Bobby Valentine thing that happened last year in Boston, this might be my payback.

I agree RN, can't get behind this, would have much rather them pay Chavez or let Nix/Nunez fill the gap. I obviously didn't get much time to follow them or any baseball last year(hence not being in this forum much) which hurt and was looking forward to this year but this is going to be tough.

Users who are viewing this thread