What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2019 FBG Subscriber Contest (2 Viewers)

After many attempts, I realized my favorite rosters so far have been small ones (20 or under).  I decided, why fight it?  Let's see how it turns out if I just go for broke.  You can't play not to lose, right?  I had to choose 4 K's and 3 D's just to make my roster hit 18.  It looks crazy, but when you think about the starting requirements, I may be on to something.  With 4 bellcow RB's, getting 2 good scores weekly should be doable.  If they all do well, I will have my 2 flex scores.  At WR, I only chose 3, and need just 2 to have decent weeks, so I took guys I think will be consistent for the most part.  All are capable of putting up good scores, so a flex now and then would be nice.  At TE, I chose 2 who I think can outperform their amount, and like my WR's, a flex now and then.  At K and D, I will have multiple options each week, so quality won't matter.  That just leaves my QB, and I have known Winston was my guy all along.  Wishful thinking, but if Jones takes over for Eli by week 7, I have my backup.  Thoughts?  

QB - Jameis Winston - TB/7 - $13
QB - Daniel Jones - NYG/11 - $4
RB - Christian McCaffrey - CAR/7 - $35
RB - David Johnson - ARI/12 - $30
RB - LeVeon Bell - NYJ/4 - $29
RB - Joe Mixon - CIN/9 - $28
WR - Adam Thielen - MIN/12 - $24
WR - Julian Edelman - NE/10 - $23
WR - Tyler Lockett - SEA/11 - $19
TE - Austin Hooper - ATL/9 - $15
TE - Mark Andrews - BAL/8 - $9
PK - Steve Hauschka - BUF/6 - $3
PK - Zane Gonzalez - ARI/12 - $3
PK - Randy Bullock - CIN/9 - $3
PK - Jason Sanders - MIA/5 - $3
TD - Cincinnati Bengals - CIN/9 - $3
TD - New York Jets - NYJ/4 - $3
TD - Tampa Bay Buccaneers - TB/7 - $3

I was screwing around with some lineup ideas and came up with this "Studs and duds" package.  If Josh Gordon gets reinstated (and let's face it, if it will help the Patriots, it's more likely to happen), I don't hate it.

QB - Patrick Mahomes - KC/12 - $27
QB - Jimmy Garoppolo - SF/4 - $11
RB - Saquon Barkley - NYG/11 - $36
RB - Ezekiel Elliott - DAL/8 - $33
RB - Kalen Ballage - MIA/5 - $12
RB - Giovani Bernard - CIN/9 - $9
WR - Michael Thomas - NO/9 - $32
WR - Josh Gordon - NE/10 - $6
WR - D.J. Chark - JAX/10 - $5
WR - Willie Snead - BAL/8 - $5
TE - Travis Kelce - KC/12 - $29
TE - Jason Witten - DAL/8 - $8
PK - Daniel Carlson - OAK/6 - $3
PK - Greg Joseph - CLE/7 - $3
TD - San Francisco 49ers - SF/4 - $3

I was thinking of writing up a brief history of the contest
Well here goes.  This is a brief history of the contest, as best I can find in my records / remember.  Hopefully interesting to those of you who've been playing since the early years, and/or those who are newer and don't know how we got here.  Also feel free to correct me if I've gotten any of this wrong:

2003:  $15K Subscriber Contest launches.  

• Rosters are rigid, you have to select 3 QBs, 4 RBs, 6 WRs, and 2 each of TE, K and D (total of 19 players).  You start 1-2-3-1-1-1 each week.  
  • The salary cap was $200, and the highest-priced player was LaDainian Tomlinson at $71.  
  • Passing TDs were 4 points.  All FGs were 3 points.  Receptions were 1 point for RB/WR and 2 points for TE. 
  • The contest cut down to 250 in week 9.  After week 10 it cut to 64 and then turned into a March Madness-style H2H bracket that narrowed down to the final 2 in week 16. 
2004: 

• Rosters remain rigid, but an extra spot for RB and WR are added, bringing the total roster size to 21. 
  • Salary cap increases to $250, where it’s stayed ever since.  Priest Holmes costs $99 (!).
  • Scoring change: Receptions for TEs drop from 2 points to 1 point. 
  • The contest takes a step closer to its current format, as it cuts to a final 200 after week 12, and the finals are cumulative scoring for weeks 13-16. 
  • Prize pool is bigger, and there are cash prizes in a consolation bracket for all teams that didn’t make the final 200. 
2005:

• Contest took on an entirely different format and was hosted on another site.  For all intents and purposes, the Subscriber Contest that we know and love didn’t run in 2005.
2006:

• Format reverts to basically the same as 2004.  The contest cuts down to a final 500 after week 12. 
  • Total prize pool is $50K, which includes a $25K first place prize, and $10K set aside for a 12-team league the following season for the top 12 finishers. 
2007: 

• In a significant step, this is the first year that position counts are flexible - but the roster size is fixed at 22.  
  • In addition to starting 1-2-3-1-1-1, a flex starter is added as well.
  • Passing TDs are increased to 6 pts.  PPR is changed to 0.5 for RB, 1 for WR and 1.5 for TE.  FG scoring is changed to award more points for FGs greater than 30, 40, 50 yards.
  • For the first time, the prize pool is $35K, with $20K to first.  It has remained almost unchanged since then.  
  • This is also the first time we cut to a final 250 after week 13, with a 3-week cumulative final.  
2008: 

• Contest remains essentially unchanged. 
  • Tom Brady is the highest-priced QB ever at $42.
  • I think this may have been the year @Organized Chaos first created live scoring for the contest, which revolutionized the experience.  
2009:

• In another significant step, this is the first year that roster size is flexible.  You are now allowed to roster anywhere from 20-24 players. 
2010:

• The contest finally assumes its now-familiar form, where you can roster anywhere from 18-30 players. 
2011: 

• Contest remains essentially unchanged.
  • IIRC there was a weird issue where Dexter McCluster’s position was changed shortly after the contest opened, but a handful of entries had him locked in at the old position causing some weird scoring quirks early in the season. 
2012:

• Contest is mostly the same as prior year.
  • Receptions increase to 1 point for RBs, and INTs go from -1 to -2. 
2013:

• This is the year the roster finally took on the form it has now, with the removal of the 3rd WR starter and addition of 2nd flex. 
  • Pass TDs go back down to 4 pts from 6, and INTs go back to -1.  FGs are now scored at 3 + 0.1/yd over 30. 
  • Due to a marketing deal with FanDuel, FBG expected many more entries than usual and raised the week 1 cutoff to 20,000 teams.  In addition, the cut to the final 250 happened after week 14, and the finals were reduced to 2 weeks. 
  • Only ~14.4k people entered the contest, so for the only time ever, everyone got a free pass to week 3.  
2014:

• Contest goes back to the format it has basically had ever since.  13 week regular season, 3 week cumulative playoffs for the final 250. 
  • This is the year I created my live scoring site and took over the role of providing live scores from OrganizedChaos. 
2015-16:

• Contest remains unchanged.
2017:

• @Steeler launches calcomatic.com, taking over live scoring duties from me. 
  • Scoring goes back to 0.5 PPR for RBs, and 6 pts per passing TD.
2018-19:

• No changes.
2020.... ?????

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going with the Meh line-up. Nothing too exciting more steady because every year I tend to try and stack a few big players at each position hoping for firepower at the end to only then get donkey punched about week 7. 

I have done Maybe 5 iterations and tend to come back to this:

QB - Lamar Jackson - BAL/8 - $12
QB - Tom Brady - NE/10 - $11
QB - Ryan Fitzpatrick - MIA/5 - $6 - He could turn out to be dead money this year.  Rosen will surely be given the chance to start at some point, maybe sooner vs later. 
RB - Kerryon Johnson - DET/5 - $23
RB - Josh Jacobs - OAK/6 - $20
RB - Austin Ekeler - LAC/12 - $16
RB - Jordan Howard - PHI/10 - $14
RB - Duke Johnson - HOU/10 - $9
RB - Frank Gore - BUF/6 - $4
WR - T.Y. Hilton - IND/6 - $25
WR - Larry Fitzgerald - ARI/12 - $12
WR - Donte Moncrief - PIT/7 - $10
WR - Adam Humphries - TEN/11 - $7
WR - Trey Quinn - WAS/10 - $6
TE - Evan Engram - NYG/11 - $18
TE - Darren Waller - OAK/6 - $8
PK - Adam Vinatieri - IND/6 - $5
PK - Dan Bailey - MIN/12 - $4
TD - Green Bay Packers - GB/11 - $5

Total value: 250
A fairly strong team, considering it's 22 players.  I would consider dropping Fitz and upgrading elsewhere.

Well here goes.  This is a brief history of the contest, as best I can find in my records / remember.  Hopefully interesting to those of you who've been playing since the early years, and/or those who are newer and don't know how we got here.  Also feel free to correct me if I've gotten any of this wrong:
Iggy,

Helluva write up.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading that - it was like a story.  You did leave one thing off though...

2019 - TheWinz takes top prize thanx to Daniel Jones's 40 points in week 16

I was screwing around with some lineup ideas and came up with this "Studs and duds" package.  If Josh Gordon gets reinstated (and let's face it, if it will help the Patriots, it's more likely to happen), I don't hate it.

QB - Patrick Mahomes - KC/12 - $27
RB - Saquon Barkley - NYG/11 - $36
RB - Ezekiel Elliott - DAL/8 - $33
RB - Kalen Ballage - MIA/5 - $12
RB - Giovani Bernard - CIN/9 - $9
WR - Josh Gordon - NE/10 - $6
WR - D.J. Chark - JAX/10 - $5
WR - Willie Snead - BAL/8 - $5
TE - Jason Witten - DAL/8 - $8
No room for error here.  If Mahomes, Saquon, Zeke, MT, and Kelce all get hurt, you are screwed.   :D

This is my entry so far:

QB - Ben Roethlisberger - 14
QB - Lamar Jackson - 12
RB - Joe Mixon - 28
RB - Nick Chubb - 25
RB - Kerryon Johnson - 23
RB - Chris Carson - 18
RB - Tony Pollard - 4
WR - Tyler Lockett - 19
WR - Allen Robinson - 17
WR - Dede Westbrook - 13
WR - Larry Fitzgerald - 12
WR - Albert Wilson - 9
WR - Randall Cobb - 6
TE - Vance McDonald - 16
TE - Noah Fant - 9
TE - Mark Andrews - 9
PK - Jason Myers - 5
PK - Steve Hauschka - 3
TD - New York Giants - 4
TD - Detroit Lions - 4

Total value: $250

I have to thank Jeff Pasquino for the QB combination. I was playing around with some version of Lamar Jackson, but he helped me nail it down.

At RB, I like the quartet of Mixon, Chubb, Johnson and Carson. Pollard should be of value even if Zeke signs.

I believe there is good depth at the volatile WR position.

My TE's are paired with my QBs. I believe both will have great target opportunities on there respective teams. Adding Fant gives my team an extra option during the TE bye weeks.

Looking at SOS for Defenses, the Giants/Lions combination appears to be the best.

Week 11 will be my biggest bye week issue with Carson, Lockett, Myers and Giants DEF on bye.

This is my entry so far:

QB - Ben Roethlisberger - 14
QB - Lamar Jackson - 12
RB - Joe Mixon - 28
RB - Nick Chubb - 25
RB - Kerryon Johnson - 23
RB - Chris Carson - 18
RB - Tony Pollard - 4
WR - Tyler Lockett - 19
WR - Allen Robinson - 17
WR - Dede Westbrook - 13
WR - Larry Fitzgerald - 12
WR - Albert Wilson - 9
WR - Randall Cobb - 6
TE - Vance McDonald - 16
TE - Noah Fant - 9
TE - Mark Andrews - 9
PK - Jason Myers - 5
PK - Steve Hauschka - 3
TD - New York Giants - 4
TD - Detroit Lions - 4

Total value: $250

I have to thank Jeff Pasquino for the QB combination. I was playing around with some version of Lamar Jackson, but he helped me nail it down.

At RB, I like the quartet of Mixon, Chubb, Johnson and Carson. Pollard should be of value even if Zeke signs.

I believe there is good depth at the volatile WR position.

My TE's are paired with my QBs. I believe both will have great target opportunities on there respective teams. Adding Fant gives my team an extra option during the TE bye weeks.

Looking at SOS for Defenses, the Giants/Lions combination appears to be the best.

Week 11 will be my biggest bye week issue with Carson, Lockett, Myers and Giants DEF on bye.
Very nice distribution of bye weeks.  Alot of same players I am targeting.  But just so you know, Pollard becomes useless when Zeke plays.  He holds no stand-alone value, hence his $4 price tag.

Did a little review, tweeked some things but still not happy @ weeks 9 & 12 bye issue. 

QB - Drew Brees - NO/9 - $16
QB - Kirk Cousins - MIN/12 - $12
RB - Nick Chubb - CLE/7 - $25
RB - Mark Ingram - BAL/8 - $20
RB - Chris Carson - SEA/11 - $18
RB - Latavius Murray - NO/9 - $16
WR - Calvin Ridley - ATL/9 - $20
WR - Mike Williams - LAC/12 - $16
WR - Christian Kirk - ARI/12 - $15
WR - Tyrell Williams - OAK/6 - $13
WR - Curtis Samuel - CAR/7 - $12
WR - John Brown - BUF/6 - $9
TE - Kyle Rudolph - MIN/12 - $12
TE - Dallas Goedert - PHI/10 - $12
PK - Chris Boswell - PIT/7 - $4
PK - Josh Lambo - JAX/10 - $4
TD - Cleveland Browns - CLE/7 - $6
TD - Seattle Seahawks - SEA/11 - $5

QB - Carson Wentz - PHI/10 - $19
QB - Baker Mayfield - CLE/7 - $19
RB - Royce Freeman - DEN/10 - $14
RB - Chris Thompson - WAS/10 - $10
RB - Matt Breida - SF/4 - $9
RB - Alexander Mattison - MIN/12 - $6
RB - Rex Burkhead - NE/10 - $6
WR - Cooper Kupp - LAR/9 - $20
WR - Allen Robinson - CHI/6 - $17
WR - Dante Pettis - SF/4 - $16
WR - Corey Davis - TEN/11 - $15
WR - NKeal Harry - NE/10 - $12
WR - Phillip Dorsett - NE/10 - $4
TE - T.J. Hockenson - DET/5 - $10
PK - Giorgio Tavecchio - ATL/9 - $5
TD - Indianapolis Colts - IND/6 - $5
TD - Dallas Cowboys - DAL/8 - $5

Played around with it a bit, and I like it......I keep changing RB/WR though

Fun fact - of the 110 WR's available in the contest, if Antonio Brown sits out, Tyrell Williams ($13) will be the OAK WR

Mark II

QB - Kyler Murray - ARI/12 - $16
RB - Damien Harris - NE/10 - $10
WR - Chris Godwin - TB/7 - $22
WR - Michael Gallup - DAL/8 - $10
TE - Evan Engram - NYG/11 - $18
TE - Chris Herndon - NYJ/4 - $8
PK - Mason Crosby - GB/11 - $5
PK - Brandon McManus - DEN/10 - $4
TD - New Orleans Saints - NO/9 - $7

QB: I think these are two top 12 QBs at. bargain prices. I feel like this is Kylers floor. Jones looks awesome so far. 

RB: I love this combo. Carson is such a bargain. I think he finishes top 10 this year if he stays healthy. DJ and Mixon are my rb1 and 2 for this season. IMO Harris outscores Michel this year. 

WR: I dont like only having 5. Not terribly excited about this group outside of my top 3. I think all 3 of those are breakout candidates this year 

TE: I'd like another. I may downgrade from Engram and go with 2

K and Def: I like these combos

TheWinz said:
After many attempts, I realized my favorite rosters so far have been small ones (20 or under).  I decided, why fight it?  Let's see how it turns out if I just go for broke.  You can't play not to lose, right?  I had to choose 4 K's and 3 D's just to make my roster hit 18.  It looks crazy, but when you think about the starting requirements, I may be on to something.  With 4 bellcow RB's, getting 2 good scores weekly should be doable.  If they all do well, I will have my 2 flex scores.  At WR, I only chose 3, and need just 2 to have decent weeks, so I took guys I think will be consistent for the most part.  All are capable of putting up good scores, so a flex now and then would be nice.  At TE, I chose 2 who I think can outperform their amount, and like my WR's, a flex now and then.  At K and D, I will have multiple options each week, so quality won't matter.  That just leaves my QB, and I have known Winston was my guy all along.  Wishful thinking, but if Jones takes over for Eli by week 7, I have my backup.  Thoughts?  

QB - Jameis Winston - TB/7 - $13
RB - Christian McCaffrey - CAR/7 - $35
WR - Adam Thielen - MIN/12 - $24
PK - Steve Hauschka - BUF/6 - $3
TD - New York Jets - NYJ/4 - $3
You always give me good advice. so I'll try and return the favor. 

like Winston a lot. I'm not sure if Jones is starting week 7 so you may be out. Winston is a good qb for this contest considering 6 pts per passing td. I'd encourage you to try and free up some money to grab a better backup 

rb I agree and I like a lot. I'd caution against Bell... 

wr you have 2 guys who have had their fair share of injuries. reliable and high targets but probably bith of them spend some time injured. I'm not a fan of these choices

te I like a lot

QB - Baker Mayfield - CLE/7 - $19
RB - Royce Freeman - DEN/10 - $14
RB - Chris Thompson - WAS/10 - $10
RB - Matt Breida - SF/4 - $9
RB - Rex Burkhead - NE/10 - $6
WR - Allen Robinson - CHI/6 - $17
WR - NKeal Harry - NE/10 - $12
WR - Phillip Dorsett - NE/10 - $4
TE - T.J. Hockenson - DET/5 - $10
TD - Indianapolis Colts - IND/6 - $5
TD - Dallas Cowboys - DAL/8 - $5

Played around with it a bit, and I like it......I keep changing RB/WR though
Only have one guy guaranteed touches at RB. I’d be anxious with that lineup. 

Mark III

QB - Jared Goff - LAR/9 - $14
RB - Justice Hill - BAL/8 - $9
WR - Stefon Diggs - MIN/12 - $23
WR - Courtland Sutton - DEN/10 - $14
TD - Denver Broncos - DEN/10 - $6

I dont think this is a good year to go quantity over quality like last season; not as many good bargains at wr. The bargains are in the 20 range. 

I dropped Samuels at rb which pains me, as well as dropping Engram. I think Engram is priced about where he fill finish; there isnt a bargain there. 

I will probably stick in the 18-20 player range. The only changes I can see happening are maybe dropping Kupp in favor of a #1, or dropping DJ for a cheaper option. Although I dont like many of the RBs below carson...  I think he represents the last of the good deals. 

QB - Kyler Murray - ARI/12 - $16   I am slowly coming around, but I wanna see more.  He did look poised vs LAC 
QB - Jimmy Garoppolo - SF/4 - $11   Not a big Jimmy fan, but I do like that his RB corps are pass catchers
QB - Daniel Jones - NYG/11 - $4   In my most recent submission, he was my QB2 behind Winston; a starter sooner vs later IMO
RB - David Johnson - ARI/12 - $30   I think he has been on every one of my submissions thus far, has potential to finish as top RB
RB - Joe Mixon - CIN/9 - $28   Another guy on my submissions; dunno about TD's, but volume will be there
RB - Chris Carson - SEA/11 - $18  I took him off my last one, but only because I went 4 higher priced studs, possibly the best value RB in the contest
RB - Damien Harris - NE/10 - $10   Is it just me, or did it seem like Michel went on IR like 5 times last year?
RB - Alexander Mattison - MIN/12 - $6   Haven't considered him yet, but he is behind an injury risk, size and skills to be a 3-down back
WR - Chris Godwin - TB/7 - $22   Went from $6 to $22 for a reason, call me crazy, but I think TB will finish top 3 in passing yardage again
WR - Cooper Kupp - LAR/9 - $20   I couldn't decide between Cooks, Woods, and Kupp, so I passed on all of them
WR - Corey Davis - TEN/11 - $15   I have no doubt he is a great WR, but Mariota scares me away
WR - Tyrell Williams - OAK/6 - $13   With AB going schitzo, Tyrell may reap the benefits
WR - Michael Gallup - DAL/8 - $10   I may be way off base, but he looks like you chose him more for his week 8 bye than anything else
TE - Evan Engram - NYG/11 - $18   NYG passed for more yardage than many think last year, he will get a good chunk of that this year
TE - Chris Herndon - NYJ/4 - $8   Never a fan of suspended players in this contest, but he does have skills
PK - Mason Crosby - GB/11 - $5   An above average kicker on a good offense, 5/7 from 50+ last year
PK - Brandon McManus - DEN/10 - $4   Money on shorter FG's, but 62% from 40+
TD - New Orleans Saints - NO/9 - $7   Not a fan of expensive D's, especially this year
TD - Green Bay Packers - GB/11 - $5  Nice schedule weeks 14-16 (WAS, CHI, MIN)

QB: I think these are two top 12 QBs at. bargain prices. I feel like this is Kylers floor. Jones looks awesome so far. 

RB: I love this combo. Carson is such a bargain. I think he finishes top 10 this year if he stays healthy. DJ and Mixon are my rb1 and 2 for this season. IMO Harris outscores Michel this year. 

WR: I dont like only having 5. Not terribly excited about this group outside of my top 3. I think all 3 of those are breakout candidates this year 

TE: I'd like another. I may downgrade from Engram and go with 2

K and Def: I like these combos

Did a little review, tweeked some things but still not happy @ weeks 9 & 12 bye issue. 

QB - Drew Brees - NO/9 - $16
RB - Mark Ingram - BAL/8 - $20
WR - Calvin Ridley - ATL/9 - $20
WR - Mike Williams - LAC/12 - $16
WR - Christian Kirk - ARI/12 - $15
TE - Kyle Rudolph - MIN/12 - $12
PK - Chris Boswell - PIT/7 - $4
PK - Josh Lambo - JAX/10 - $4
TD - Cleveland Browns - CLE/7 - $6
Me likey.  I think right now we are all just practicing, like mock drafts, but it's always nice to get feedback.

Mark III

RB - Justice Hill - BAL/8 - $9

I dont think this is a good year to go quantity over quality like last season; not as many good bargains at wr. The bargains are in the 20 range. 

I dropped Samuels at rb which pains me, as well as dropping Engram. I think Engram is priced about where he fill finish; there isnt a bargain there. 

I will probably stick in the 18-20 player range. The only changes I can see happening are maybe dropping Kupp in favor of a #1, or dropping DJ for a cheaper option. Although I dont like many of the RBs below carson...  I think he represents the last of the good deals. 
I like this a tad better than your last one.  I would consider switching from Goff to Winston.  You'd save a buck, the byes would be better, and you could upgrade from Hill back to Harris.

Yeah, I know, I can't help myself.  I live in this thread.  I only play in one friendly redraft league, so this contest is 50% of my entire fantasy season.  Anyway, I was trying to find different ways to select players, and excel has been a great tool.  Let's use WR's as an example.  I laid out all 110 options a few different ways, and certain WR's stick out to me depending on the layout.  One way I went was grouping them all by cost, like this:

Just picked a few random amounts here...

- $25 - Allen, Hilton - only 2 choices here, but I prefer Allen

- $20 - Boyd, Green, Kupp, Moore, Ridley - of this group, I like Boyd & Ridley the best, but to each his own

- $12 - Coutee, Fitzgerald, Harry, Miller, Samuel - Fitz and Samuel stood out to me

Using the method above, I also found that I like certain players more than entire groups of players in a more expensive bracket (i.e. Fitz over all $13 WR's).  Another way I laid the WR's out was by team.  I will use a few teams as examples:

GB - Adams ($33), Valdes-Scantling ($11), Allison ($10), St. Brown ($4) - Aaron doesn't throw alot to his RB's, Graham is a shell of his former self, Adams will be a ball hog, but will the remaining WR's cancel each other out, or will one step up? 

IND - Hilton ($25), Campbell ($11), Funchess ($10) - until proven otherwise, I am sticking with Funchess over Campbell

JAX - Westbrook ($13), Lee ($8), Chark ($5), Cole ($4), Conley ($4) - Lee may not even play, making Chark and Conley value picks in my book

Contest closes in 24 short days.  If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail (said in my best Sphinx voice from Mystery Men).

RB - Darwin Thompson - KC/12 - $5
WR - Marquez Valdes-Scantling - GB/11 - $11
WR - Miles Boykin - BAL/8 - $6
TE - Tyler Eifert - CIN/9 - $8
PK - Chandler Catanzaro - NYJ/4 - $4
PK - Matt Prater - DET/5 - $4
TD - Philadelphia Eagles - PHI/10 - $6

First Run at it. I'm sure this changes a bit over the next 3 weeks, but I'm treating this like a best ball draft. I am pretty happy overall with this lineup so far. And that means it will be out of the running by week 6. lol. 

QB - I think wentz is top 5 this year as long as he stays healthy and Jimmy G has a pretty high ceiling and is being a bit underrated. (JG may change)

RB - Chubb/Jacobs/Carson as my top 3 is solid. No "superstar"  but all should be the unquestioned 1 in their offense. Carson will split with Penny some, but thats a top running offense in the league. Murray is insurance to a Kamara injury and should still see about 40% of the touches if he takes the Ingram role. Harris is incase the what seems to be always injured Michel gets hurt and should get touches anyways. Thompson is my cheap flyer who I think becomes the 2 in KC. (don't see any changes here honestly)

WR - Loving this group for not having a "stud". Hilton is healthy and in the best offense of his career. I look for both Godwin, Pettis and Samuel to "break out" this year. MVS if he wins the 2 job (currently looks that way), he becomes quite valuable and Boykin is my cheap flyer (this may change)

TE - Meh, I like Andrews this year a lot if he holds the 1 spot, but Hurst is sitting in the Wings and Eifert has burned me with his injury history, but still has a pretty high ceiling if he stays healthy. (both could change)

K - Meh again, I think prater kicks a lot of FGs, Catanzaro was just on an offense that looks like it may stall out at times. (this may change)

DEF - Philly defense could be a turnover making monster with their front 4, but needs the secondary to step up and I love the niners D for $3. (this may change)

Omg, I can’t catch a break!! Update coming. Anyone have thoughts on the rest of the roster?
What surprises me is everyone expects Mayfield, OBJ, Njoku, Landry, Chubb to be great targets in this contest but they must expect Cleveland to go for 2 every time... because no one is picking their kicker (but me)

First Run at it. I'm sure this changes a bit over the next 3 weeks, but I'm treating this like a best ball draft. I am pretty happy overall with this lineup so far. And that means it will be out of the running by week 6. lol. 

QB - I think wentz is top 5 this year as long as he stays healthy and Jimmy G has a pretty high ceiling and is being a bit underrated. (JG may change)

RB - Chubb/Jacobs/Carson as my top 3 is solid. No "superstar"  but all should be the unquestioned 1 in their offense. Carson will split with Penny some, but thats a top running offense in the league. Murray is insurance to a Kamara injury and should still see about 40% of the touches if he takes the Ingram role. Harris is incase the what seems to be always injured Michel gets hurt and should get touches anyways. Thompson is my cheap flyer who I think becomes the 2 in KC. (don't see any changes here honestly)

WR - Loving this group for not having a "stud". Hilton is healthy and in the best offense of his career. I look for both Godwin, Pettis and Samuel to "break out" this year. MVS if he wins the 2 job (currently looks that way), he becomes quite valuable and Boykin is my cheap flyer (this may change)

TE - Meh, I like Andrews this year a lot if he holds the 1 spot, but Hurst is sitting in the Wings and Eifert has burned me with his injury history, but still has a pretty high ceiling if he stays healthy. (both could change)

K - Meh again, I think prater kicks a lot of FGs, Catanzaro was just on an offense that looks like it may stall out at times. (this may change)

DEF - Philly defense could be a turnover making monster with their front 4, but needs the secondary to step up and I love the niners D for $3. (this may change)
QB- I agree about wentz and Jimmy. I like both this season. 

RB - I like this combo. The problem with Thompson is he might just he taking a roster spot and salary. But he is cheap enough where it may not matter. 

WR- I think this is where that $5 from Thompson could be spent. 

TE or could spend that $5 to upgrade from eifert.

QB- I agree about wentz and Jimmy. I like both this season. 

RB - I like this combo. The problem with Thompson is he might just he taking a roster spot and salary. But he is cheap enough where it may not matter. 

WR- I think this is where that $5 from Thompson could be spent. 

TE or could spend that $5 to upgrade from eifert.
I completely agree with you. I need to seriously consider dropping him if he falls to the back of the pack and using that $5 a little more wisely. Thankfully we have 3 1/2 weeks to see what happens. 

But let me play devils advocate. Damien Williams has been unspectacular since coming into the league in 2014 prior to last years late season run in KC. granted he was in a horrid MIA offense, but couldn’t win the lead job there. He fell into a dream spot starting on the top offense in KC based off pure luck(hunt and Ware). He’s never had more than 50 carries or 31 receptions in a single year. Carlos Hyde is a JAG at best. Thompson showed in college he could be a lead back and he is very similar to Brian Westbrook, One of Andy Reid’s favorite players. A coach who helped draft him and who has never shied away from playing who he thought was the best player at their position. they aren’t contractually tied to Williams either. He’s also currently nursing a hammy injury. Giving Thompson a chance to show what he’s got. It’s hard to imagine him not being to at least overtake Hyde. To have a shot at the main backup with lead back potential in a top 3 offense (if he does show up like I think he will over the rest of preseason) for $5 is a massive steal for the latter part of the season.

He could just as easily bust out over the next 3 1/2 weeks. Its just as easy to build a scenario against him. It’s a crapshoot this early, but I love his potential situation. 

I completely agree with you. I need to seriously consider dropping him if he falls to the back of the pack and using that $5 a little more wisely. Thankfully we have 3 1/2 weeks to see what happens. 

But let me play devils advocate. Damien Williams has been unspectacular since coming into the league in 2014 prior to last years late season run in KC. granted he was in a horrid MIA offense, but couldn’t win the lead job there. He fell into a dream spot starting on the top offense in KC based off pure luck(hunt and Ware). He’s never had more than 50 carries or 31 receptions in a single year. Carlos Hyde is a JAG at best. Thompson showed in college he could be a lead back and he is very similar to Brian Westbrook, One of Andy Reid’s favorite players. A coach who helped draft him and who has never shied away from playing who he thought was the best player at their position. they aren’t contractually tied to Williams either. He’s also currently nursing a hammy injury. Giving Thompson a chance to show what he’s got. It’s hard to imagine him not being to at least overtake Hyde. To have a shot at the main backup with lead back potential in a top 3 offense (if he does show up like I think he will over the rest of preseason) for $5 is a massive steal for the latter part of the season.

He could just as easily bust out over the next 3 1/2 weeks. Its just as easy to build a scenario against him. It’s a crapshoot this early, but I love his potential situation. 
Yes that is a possibility. As is somenevil 4 headed RBBC situation too. I think you are dramatically underestimating Hyde.  Risk is definitely worth the reward however, So I can see the benefit. The question would then be, is having Thompson as a flex upgrade from Pettis or Samuel more points than going from Andrews/Eifert to a combo like Njoku or Hooper and Eifert or Waller. I like Waller a lot if AB keeps pulling his diva stuff 

I'm not sure what the answer is to that question. 

However, I will say I am definitely not a fan of your last 2 wrs either. But MVS seems to be everyone's favorite 

Mark IV

I keep coming back to Goff. I just see him as a bargain in a high passing TD offense. Cousins is a bargain as well considering his last 4 years. 

I wanted to try and work Thompson in if I could. I like the idea of having him but I may change my mind. it meant sacrificing Kupp. 

Going from Kupp to Samuel may not be as big of a drop production wise as it is money. Both are a 3rd or 4th option on their team

Hooper made big gains last year. I expect him to be fairly solid. Waller IMO is a good play as Cook was pretty good there last year and AB keeps piling his bizarre stunts. 

PK - Harrison Butker - KC/12 - $6

Money left from Kupp allowed me to grab a better kicker

I like this combo a lot

Thoughts? 

After watching Jones, I started playing around with submissions to add him also.  Then I thought, if I roster 2 good QB's, why do I need a third?  Let's say, for sake of argument, that Jones finally starts before either of your guys have their bye.  When Goff is off week 9, Cousins faces KC and Jones faces DAL.  You won't be starting Jones, I can pretty much guarantee it, unless Cousins is dead.  Then, when Cousins is off week 12, Goff faces BAL and Jones faces CHI.  I seriously doubt Jones will outscore Goff, when he is facing the best D in the league.  These 2 weeks would be the most important reason to roster Jones, and he faces stiff competition.  Do you honestly think Jones would outscore BOTH Goff & Cousins in a given week?  Without an injury to one of them, he may be dead money.  If your QB2 was someone like Foles, then Jones would make more sense.

Thoughts? 
A trap I tend to fall into is to end up with a bunch of players with high ceiling but low floor...I could argue the above have that same problem...

.  Do you honestly think Jones would outscore BOTH Goff & Cousins in a given week?  l
I think I had Darnold last year, and I recall him outscoring my two QBs 2 times or so.

you make a good point and its something to consider but I probably wont go with only 2 QBs. injuries happen, players have bad games. 

I think I had Darnold last year, and I recall him outscoring my two QBs 2 times or so.

you make a good point and its something to consider but I probably wont go with only 2 QBs. injuries happen, players have bad games. 
But Darnold was the starter from week 1.  That's a big difference.  If you want 3 QB's because of injuries or bad games, logic says you take 3 guys who are starters from the get go.  For all we know, Eli could hold his job all year.

For the most part I certainly like it. I think Cam holds a lot more value at the same price as Wentz.

I have a man crush on Jacobs like I did Cook when he first entered the league and I’m not sure why. But each day that passes I get less sure of him. He won’t be in my lineup. 

The word out of SF is that Pettis does not look good. Like not even starting bad. I would watch that situation close. 

Aside from that I think you’re off to a good start. 

But Darnold was the starter from week 1.  That's a big difference.  If you want 3 QB's because of injuries or bad games, logic says you take 3 guys who are starters from the get go.  For all we know, Eli could hold his job all year.
barring a miracle in the meadowlands this year, I can't imagine jones isn't starting by the midway point. he's not a bad dart for $4.  If the NYG are 2-6 or 2-7 and completely out of the hunt, they'd be crazy not to give their rookie some game reps. Kind of like how baker mayfield was handled last year. Now, the giants could always surprise this year and come out of the gates swinging, but I just can't envision that happening with the current state of their team. 

jerseys finest said:
barring a miracle in the meadowlands this year, I can't imagine jones isn't starting by the midway point. he's not a bad dart for $4.  If the NYG are 2-6 or 2-7 and completely out of the hunt, they'd be crazy not to give their rookie some game reps. Kind of like how baker mayfield was handled last year. Now, the giants could always surprise this year and come out of the gates swinging, but I just can't envision that happening with the current state of their team. 
I also am assuming Jones will be starting by midseason, but my point still stands.  If you are selecting 3 QB's in the contest because you want to have a 3rd option every week (in case of injury or bad game), you likely won't have Jones as an option until the halfway point.

Elevencents said:
For the most part I certainly like it. I think Cam holds a lot more value at the same price as Wentz.

I have a man crush on Jacobs like I did Cook when he first entered the league and I’m not sure why. But each day that passes I get less sure of him. He won’t be in my lineup. 

The word out of SF is that Pettis does not look good. Like not even starting bad. I would watch that situation close. 

Aside from that I think you’re off to a good start. 
Thanks for the input, I'm definitely far from finished tweaking it, but my locks are locked in (Jacobs, Carson, Godwin, Curtis Samuel) I have gone back and forth between cam and wentz for a while. Maybe its just the wentz fan in me, but if he goes back to 2017 form, which we hope he does, and is extremely possible with a vastly improved offensive unit, he should have the same floor as cam, with a possibly higher ceiling.  I've also had Murray in and out of my lineup. This is a glorified best ball league. 

I have started seeing those reports coming out of San Fran, luckily I've been high on deebo Samuel all offseason and have him in a good chunk of my draft Best Balls. probably gonna make that flip and free up some extra cash elsewhere to improve at TE possibly. 

I just remember how Gruden used Caddy Williams as a rookie. Ran the wheels off him. If Jacobs stays healthy, he should have the lions share of touches. 

I also am assuming Jones will be starting by midseason, but my point still stands.  If you are selecting 3 QB's in the contest because you want to have a 3rd option every week (in case of injury or bad game), you likely won't have Jones as an option until the halfway point.
Thats fair, if I'm taking Jones, its for a second half of the season push only. I only plan to have 2 QBs who I expect to carry me through at least half of the season where one of the 2 are putting up an acceptable game each week. I don't have Jones on my roster, but if he keeps playing well in preseason, I'd debate throwing him in there for $4 if I can make room. Even if he only gets you one or two playable games, (but between week 14-17), assuming the lineup is lucky enough to make it that far, it could be the difference from advancing or being eliminated. At $4, its worth thinking about in this scenario. 

But based off the using of 3 QBS all year in case of injury of bad game, then you are 100% correct. It would be much wiser to pick 3 who are all starting from the get go. 

It depends on who your other QBs are.  Generally two solid QBs will produce enough points each week.  My biggest fear with 2 QBs (because it has happened in the past to me) is that one guy manages to get hurt just in time for the other's bye week, meaning a zero at QB, which would probably be fatal.  If you've got 2 QBs with later byes and you really think Jones will be starting by Week 9, then he's cheap insurance against that.  

Dr. Dan said:
Mark IV

I keep coming back to Goff. I just see him as a bargain in a high passing TD offense. Cousins is a bargain as well considering his last 4 years. 

I wanted to try and work Thompson in if I could. I like the idea of having him but I may change my mind. it meant sacrificing Kupp. 

Going from Kupp to Samuel may not be as big of a drop production wise as it is money. Both are a 3rd or 4th option on their team

Hooper made big gains last year. I expect him to be fairly solid. Waller IMO is a good play as Cook was pretty good there last year and AB keeps piling his bizarre stunts. 

PK - Harrison Butker - KC/12 - $6

Money left from Kupp allowed me to grab a better kicker

I like this combo a lot

Thoughts? 
Looks good bro! I will post mine at another time but this is solid with rational thought supporting your decision.

Tex

I’ve always been a 25-28 roster guy but given the pricing this year I think you have to go tiny roster.  The values are just not there in the low or medium prices.  That being said this is the current roster I’ve landed on.  Little margin for error but a lot of firepower. I may chicken out and add a bit more depth but I like this right now 

QB - Sam Darnold - NYJ/4 - $9
RB - Dalvin Cook - MIN/12 - $24
WR - DeAndre Hopkins - HOU/10 - $34
WR - Davante Adams - GB/11 - $33
PK - Matt Gay - TB/7 - $3
TD - Los Angeles Chargers - LAC/12 - $7

It depends on who your other QBs are.  Generally two solid QBs will produce enough points each week.  My biggest fear with 2 QBs (because it has happened in the past to me) is that one guy manages to get hurt just in time for the other's bye week, meaning a zero at QB, which would probably be fatal.  If you've got 2 QBs with later byes and you really think Jones will be starting by Week 9, then he's cheap insurance against that.  
I agree

FBG really seemed to change the values this year, making it more difficult to carry many players. It truly is quality or quantity; its hard to get both. 

The bargain qbs are a bit tough to come by. One option for me would be to downgrade my kicker and grab a guy like Flacco or Foles. But then I feel like I'm paying for a guy who is starting today and will produce, in my mind, the same as Jones who is much cheaper and I'm confident will be starting by mid season. 

Furthermore, when are you less likely to survive an injury to qb or 2 stinkers from your top 2 QBs- early in the season or toward the end? 

I’ve always been a 25-28 roster guy but given the pricing this year I think you have to go tiny roster.  The values are just not there in the low or medium prices.  That being said this is the current roster I’ve landed on.  Little margin for error but a lot of firepower. I may chicken out and add a bit more depth but I like this right now 

RB - Dalvin Cook - MIN/12 - $24
WR - DeAndre Hopkins - HOU/10 - $34
WR - Davante Adams - GB/11 - $33
PK - Matt Gay - TB/7 - $3
TD - Los Angeles Chargers - LAC/12 - $7
QBs: I dont see either of these getting a lot of TDs. I dislike this combo a lot

RB: strong group that I like a good deal

WR: I think it pays to sacrifice one for depth and maybe a qb upgrade. Adams has had concussion problems 

TE: I like this group a lot

K: Wasted salary that could be used elsewhere to upgrade qb or more wr depth. but I realize you're trying to get to 18 roster spots here. 

D Looks good

Attempt #2. made some changes. only about 1000 more tweaks until its perfect 🤣

WR - Julio Jones - ATL/9 - $32
WR - Deebo Samuel - SF/4 - $9
WR - TreQuan Smith - NO/9 - $8
TE - Hunter Henry - LAC/12 - $17

QB - Cam Newton - CAR/7 - $19
QB - Mitchell Trubisky - CHI/6 - $12
RB - Alvin Kamara - NO/9 - $33
WR - Robert Woods - LAR/9 - $22
WR - Dede Westbrook - JAX/10 - $13
WR - Anthony Miller - CHI/6 - $12
WR - David Moore - SEA/11 - $6
TD - Tennessee Titans - TEN/11 - $5
TD - Arizona Cardinals - ARI/12 - $4

I’d be crazy to say I’m not a little worried with 3 RB’s. But my 4th was Justice Hill and he is a wild card to the point where he may not produce at all anyway so I reinvested the points elsewhere. But the players I do have I really do love. Kelce, Newton, Woods and Kerryon are locks for me. 

Browns and TB both on week 7 make it hard. There's a lot of value there in a weak defense/running team with Arians coaching and of course, the 2019 Superbowl champion Browns. I really don't like having so much money tied up in one week though.

Users who are viewing this thread