What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Thread (1 Viewer)

Steady rainfall and some wind (10-15 mph+) so far this morning where I’m at southeast of Tampa. Got the dog out for morning walk and he wasn’t happy about it. I have no doubts about inland flooding being a real issue. Everyone stay staff. This thing is a beast.

Had a tornado warning last night here in Martin/St. Lucie counties. Didn’t find out about it until I woke up earlier this morning.

Steady rainfall and some wind (10-15 mph+) so far this morning where I’m at southeast of Tampa. Got the dog out for morning walk and he wasn’t happy about it. I have no doubts about inland flooding being a real issue. Everyone stay staff. This thing is a beast.
And eerily dark and quiet. I guess I’m glad it’s hitting land midday vs middle of the night.

There's support for cat 5 but nhc doesn't really make upgrades so late. Expectation is 12 feet of surge at port charlotte

Still have power here in Estero, FL. I walked with my mom and her dog this morning and the rains/wind were fairly light. No real flooding to report yet (at least in our area).

I really wonder how Cape Coral is going to do with all of this. For those not in the know, part of Cape Coral's appeal is their many canals. A ton of houses in Cape Coral are "on the water". If this storm surge is close to what they are predicting, it'll be interesting to see how high those canals go.

Update from the Treasure Coast: lots of rain and some wind, both of which will increase as the day goes on. It shouldn’t get too much worse here, but I have an intersection in my neighborhood that I’m betting will flood, due to its design. 4 storm drains, one on each corner of the intersection, but they all drain into one culvert, which gets overwhelmed, and then the water sits there. It wouldn’t be too bad if it didn’t basically trap cars caught on the wrong side of the flood. Oh well, I have the day off, and an Escape with decent clearance if needed.

Still have power here in Estero, FL. I walked with my mom and her dog this morning and the rains/wind were fairly light. No real flooding to report yet (at least in our area).

I really wonder how Cape Coral is going to do with all of this. For those not in the know, part of Cape Coral's appeal is their many canals. A ton of houses in Cape Coral are "on the water". If this storm surge is close to what they are predicting, it'll be interesting to see how high those canals go.
If it's anything like south tampa, Davis island and Apollo Beach, all of those home will be well under water. You'd need an elevated house to escape catastrophic flooding.

Tornado ripped through Home Depot parking lot in Delray Beach last night.

The amount of rain we got last night in Palm Beach was insanity. My pool which I drained yesterday was nearing the top again, drained it between bands this morning.

Good luck west coasters, hopefully you’ve got your kits and everything ready.

Why turn the pump off? I didn’t know to do that.

Made it to Fort Lauderdale.
2 reasons as I know, but maybe Gump knows more...

1) Damage to the pump from external water (sounds weird, but read it in a few places)
2) If you drain below the skimmer, you'll burn your pump out.
I always drained mine based on how much rain they anticipated. I also turned off the pump and disconnected the power, which came in handy when my yard flooded enough that the entire pump was under water.

Ian doesn't even get a thread title credit? :ph34r:

Take care, Florida, FBGs! Got a couch and a fridge full of beer if anyone needs to bug out.

ETA: oh yea, remembered MJ said he couldn't log into his account for now
Yes, very frustrating.
Maybe report the thread and ask for a title change? I do that in the Shark Pool sometimes when the OP needs changed but the original poster isn’t around anymore. Mods are usually good about it.

My mom just sold her canal front home on the Cape 2 weeks ago.

It's just crazy to me how much the predictions on this one shifted. It went from hitting the panhandle to passing UNDER us and going out to the Atlantic in just a few days :lol:

There's going to be a TON of flooding around me. We're pretty close to the St Johns and we've had flood advisories for the river the last 3-4 weeks. This doesn't end well for any of them on the lake/river.

Was just texting with my niece in Lee County (Cape coral) - looking like worst case scenario for them wrt storm surge. Girls are off at college, husband (local Fox news producer) is spending the night at the station, she’s home alone with the dog. All he friends & family are in the evacuation zone as well so nowhere to go.
How far from the Gulf or a waterway conected to the Gulf is she? In Dade and Broward, a few shelters allow pets.

she decided to spend the night with two close friends. they have 5 dogs & a cat between them lol.

winds in Cape Coral rn are 30-40 mph, eye is 50ish miles away, moving at 10 mph. biggest concern is storm surge (12'-14') as they are to the right of the eye.

ETA: got another text while posting, they just lost power.

Water's being sucked out of the Clearwater Harbor now, which is in between the beaches and mainland. Tampa Bay coming I'm sure.

Still have power here in Estero, FL.
Back in June of 2020 when you couldn’t buy a bike anywhere, I found a guy on EBay selling the exact bike I wanted in Estero. Drove from East Coast to Estero and man, between here and there, some desolate backwoods 2 lane road stuff.

You didn’t sell a bike to someone off EBay? :lmao:

This doesn't end well for any of them on the lake/river.
This is my first year living on a lake. I THINK I'll be ok, but guess I'll find out.
Well, the problems here come from the lake being attached to the St Johns. Every year, we get flood advisories for it. It just doesn't flow all that quickly and it's going to get hammered twice...once as the storm comes through here then again when the storm gets to Jax. Storms always push water back into the river up in Jax, and then it pushes back even more to areas like ours where it's already flooded.

Still have power here in Estero, FL.
Back in June of 2020 when you couldn’t buy a bike anywhere, I found a guy on EBay selling the exact bike I wanted in Estero. Drove from East Coast to Estero and man, between here and there, some desolate backwoods 2 lane road stuff.

You didn’t sell a bike to someone off EBay? :lmao:
Estero and Bonita Springs (city just south) has really grown since I moved here in 2009. I have friends who are FL natives and they’ve said that the whole area between Naples and Fort Myers was very low key about 30-40 years ago. Not a whole lot built and very quiet.

Sanibel and Captiva are beautiful beaches, especially for shelling. After a storm like this, there should be many more shells than usual washed up on shore. Hopefully the erosion isn't too bad. When my kids were young, we made many trips to the beaches from Naples to Ft. Myers. They loved Edison's winter home on the Caloosahatchee River, and the shell factory, an old-style tourist attraction on US41, the original N-S road before I-75 was built.

This is my first year living on a lake. I THINK I'll be ok, but guess I'll find out.
Well, the problems here come from the lake being attached to the St Johns. Every year, we get flood advisories for it. It just doesn't flow all that quickly and it's going to get hammered twice...once as the storm comes through here then again when the storm gets to Jax. Storms always push water back into the river up in Jax, and then it pushes back even more to areas like ours where it's already flooded.
Yea some of these new developments built close to these lakes along the St. John's may really be looking at some flood damage. Sanford may even be in some trouble.
All these subdivisions built on old cow pastures and swampland I sure hope they have flood insurance. Urban sprawl not a good thing especially when it's on Swampland.

It's just crazy to me how much the predictions on this one shifted. It went from hitting the panhandle to passing UNDER us and going out to the Atlantic in just a few days :lol:

There's going to be a TON of flooding around me. We're pretty close to the St Johns and we've had flood advisories for the river the last 3-4 weeks. This doesn't end well for any of them on the lake/river.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2022/IAN_graphics.php?product=5day_cone_with_line

The predictions on this were always going to be a challenge. That being said the shift in the track is exaggerated here considering the Florida geography. The cone had the track the entire time, however.

Would also note the 3 day graphic never indicated a panhandle landfall at any point.

Last edited:
Well this is awkward. I am scheduled to fly into Ft. Myers next :checksnotes: Wednesday afternoon and have paid for an AirBnB :checksnotes: on a canal in Cape Coral. I'm from Minnesota so while I'm fascinated by hurricanes, haven't exactly had to worry about being directly impacted by one. This seems ungood.
Just circling back on my above post from last Friday. Even though I'm obviously not in Cape Coral as originally planned (the baseball tourney in Ft. Myers was officially canceled on Tuesday) the fact that I was supposed to be chilling on a canal beginning today is kind of freaky. The Airbnb I was supposed to stay at has "never been impacted by water" and has been evacuated with zone c. Had no idea last Friday that Ft. Myers would be ground zero today.

Seriously - for those in the impacted area, stay safe. Best of luck to you in the coming days.

My MIL & FIL live in Cape Coral, so I'll pass along what they experience. Not excited about two 70-year-olds riding this out.

Stepmom lives in Naples. So far she is reporting high winds and a lot of rain. Her house is kind of a raised condo with a garage under living space, and she is inland a little bit. So should be safe from flooding. Still has power as of now.

Jim Cantore is pissed. "I'm sick of these storms that want to turn into Cat 5s." Shakes his head.
Turned it on this morning to them saying how the number doesn't really matter, it's going to be bad regardless, etc. And then for the next 30 minutes they kept calling it a near 5 instead of just a 4.

My MIL & FIL live in Cape Coral, so I'll pass along what they experience. Not excited about two 70-year-olds riding this out.
Latest update, still have power, getting very windy and rain. They are few blocks from the canals so hopefully they will be ok.

Yea some of these new developments built close to these lakes along the St. John's may really be looking at some flood damage. Sanford may even be in some trouble.
All these subdivisions built on old cow pastures and swampland I sure hope they have flood insurance. Urban sprawl not a good thing especially when it's on Swampland.
I was in Sanford yesterday. They are already in trouble. Not joking when I say the waters were up almost even with the roads already. Flooding is going to suck down there. Just nowhere for the water to go

Latest update, still have power, getting very windy and rain. They are few blocks from the canals so hopefully they will be ok.

Oh man, I don't wanna freak you out, but it's gonna be really bad there. I hope they stay safe.
I'm afraid it will be. ETA on when it gets bad there? Midday / late afternoon today?

Power still on here in Gateway, my buddy Dutch down in Naples has been without for 3 hours now.

Naples is going to get the worst of the storm surge. Up to 18 feet. He knows this right?
Oh yea, he just reserved a room at the nug inn. Another buddy lives on a canal in south ft myers with gulf access. His 1st floor bar is under serious threat, its a shame.

Users who are viewing this thread