What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2023 Atlantic Hurricane Thread - Tammy (1 Viewer)

Years ago I remember being told Tampa has some ancient Indian blessing keeping it safe. Always laughed about it but now I’m starting to wonder.

So, why has Tampa been able to avoid being hit by a major hurricane for such a long time? Many people from the area give credit to the Native Americans of the Tocobaga Tribe which legend says, blessed the land keeping it safe from big storms.

Tampa Tocobaga History:

Back in the 900s, the Tocobaga tribe made the Tampa Bay area their home. They built villages out of shells and sand making temples, burial grounds, mounds and homes for their chiefs. Sadly, they were completely wiped out by disease and war from Spanish settlers. Now, the oldest remaining burial mound is located near Old Tampa Bay which many people think it keeping Tampa Bay safe.

I mean you could just look at the mountains of cuba and recognize any track that would have a major at tampa bay that didn't have to path over cuba is unique. A fast moving major coming from the east is more likely to hurt Tampa than the West.

We are in the cone but to the left. We are about 20 minutes east of Tallahassee. Got food and candy. If the power is out past Friday I will go visit my sister in Orlando.
Be safe up there. Still getting some wind and bands down here in Tampa, but no storm surge/flooding like in Pinellas and other areas.

Idalia is hitting one of the least populated areas of the gulf coast. The Suwannee River empties near Cedar Key which makes the water dark colored. No white sandy beach like in much of the gulf coast. Tampa gets spared, which is fortunate for insurance rates.

Still a very strong storm (cat 4) but surprisingly it started an eyewall replacement which weakens it a little. Surprisingly because it didn't seem likely this soon and before landfall. Also, I storms suck, a bunch of I named storms have been bad and IIRC there are more I names retired than any other letter.

From watching the chasing it hit a pretty remote area. These guys are driving fast and it's just trees. Fairly lucky.

8:09am. Just lost power. I’m about 60 miles west of Keaton beach where they say landfall was. I hope they didn’t get too much damage over there but it is the worst beach in Florida. Could use a nice renovation.

Only a few ensembles now have it turning around. Should run out to sea but last another week plus as a hurricane. The late ewrc and landfall location were very lucky.

8:09am. Just lost power. I’m about 60 miles west of Keaton beach where they say landfall was. I hope they didn’t get too much damage over there but it is the worst beach in Florida. Could use a nice renovation.
More of a fishing community. I go Sea trout fishing up there every couple of years. Not alot going on up there. Took my wife once that was enough for her.

My daughter is just north of Fayettville so I was checking future radar and it looks like just south of Fayettville is going to get about a foot of rain. That's a crazy amount of rain if true.

Years ago I remember being told Tampa has some ancient Indian blessing keeping it safe. Always laughed about it but now I’m starting to wonder.

So, why has Tampa been able to avoid being hit by a major hurricane for such a long time? Many people from the area give credit to the Native Americans of the Tocobaga Tribe which legend says, blessed the land keeping it safe from big storms.

Tampa Tocobaga History:

Back in the 900s, the Tocobaga tribe made the Tampa Bay area their home. They built villages out of shells and sand making temples, burial grounds, mounds and homes for their chiefs. Sadly, they were completely wiped out by disease and war from Spanish settlers. Now, the oldest remaining burial mound is located near Old Tampa Bay which many people think it keeping Tampa Bay safe.

I mean you could just look at the mountains of cuba and recognize any track that would have a major at tampa bay that didn't have to path over cuba is unique. A fast moving major coming from the east is more likely to hurt Tampa than the West.
Kinda like here in SE Va...a storm is almost always going to hit the Outer Banks first so we're a little shielded.

Surprisingly enough, Idalia was the first recorded hurricane to pass through Apalachee Bay in that part of Florida.
I mean the track it took was pretty much the only way, needed a yucatan storm to juice up and go north and east. That takes a funky ridge/jet stream situation that normally only presents in parts of August and the carib cruisers are typically a june/july thing.

The flooding is worrisome in low lying areas of Pinellas County…St Pete/Clearwater…they can’t take it much higher and high tide is still coming later. Water up to garages on Clearwater Beach north end.

we just had a band come thru north of wilmington, at the beach. i am bailing out tonite to head inland. tonite is a neap tide, super high tide, so charleston is gonna flood like mad.

FL peeps, y'all good?
We lost power this morning at 8am. Sometime this afternoon the powers that be shared that we will be out of power for 7-14 days. Everything was just destroyed. I understand that because our entire power infrastructure was destroyed in Irma 6 years ago. I’m not trying to be a negative Nelly but why didn’t they build it back better then?

I work for a friend who owns a motel and Airbnbs and an apartment complex. I brought my family to one of the airbnbs on the other side of tallahassee. It’s been a long day. I’m tired and frustrated but a lot of people are a lot worse off.

FL peeps, y'all good?
Luckily the afternoon high tide was countered by the weak wind…and the flooding around Tampa Bay didn’t get worse. But…there are some neighborhoods under a foot of water in south St Pete…I have 1 friend who’s going to have significant damage…but overall 90% of the shoreline seems ok.

The flooding is worrisome in low lying areas of Pinellas County…St Pete/Clearwater…they can’t take it much higher and high tide is still coming later. Water up to garages on Clearwater Beach north end.
If we ever do get that direct hit we are screwed.

In the way too early to worry dept, both the Euro and GFS show AL95 heading to the east coast mid Sept. That **** better not mess up my bday. :cautious:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread