What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Baltimore Ravens 2012/13 SB Champs Thread *** (1 Viewer)

:lmao: They can't all be home runs, Ozzie. But keep on swinging.

Who starts? Upshaw and Brown?
Or maybe Jamele (sp?) McClain (sp?), if he's healthy. But I suspect Brown will be given every opportunity.

In any case (assuming JM's good health), that has the potential to be a pretty good top 3 at ILB.
They're going to be playing mix-and-match all year, is my guess.

Brown is a given at ILB and it sounds like Jameel McClain is going to be healthy. They're also trying to convert Bryan Hall from a back-up DL guy into an ILB.

I'm not convinced Upshaw moves inside, though. Dumervil isn't great against the run and Upshaw looks poised to be a monster at setting the edge vs. the run. So I think Upshaw still plays mostly at OLB, except in passing situations. Brown is going to have to make an impact early, because everyone else at ILB is kind of just a guy. So happy they got him in the 2nd round.

Kindle is gone - cut and unlikely to catch on with anyone else.

The_Man said:
:lmao: They can't all be home runs, Ozzie. But keep on swinging. Who starts? Upshaw and Brown?
Or maybe Jamele (sp?) McClain (sp?), if he's healthy. But I suspect Brown will be given every opportunity. In any case (assuming JM's good health), that has the potential to be a pretty good top 3 at ILB.
They're going to be playing mix-and-match all year, is my guess. Brown is a given at ILB and it sounds like Jameel McClain is going to be healthy. They're also trying to convert Bryan Hall from a back-up DL guy into an ILB. I'm not convinced Upshaw moves inside, though. Dumervil isn't great against the run and Upshaw looks poised to be a monster at setting the edge vs. the run. So I think Upshaw still plays mostly at OLB, except in passing situations. Brown is going to have to make an impact early, because everyone else at ILB is kind of just a guy. So happy they got him in the 2nd round. Kindle is gone - cut and unlikely to catch on with anyone else.
Your a much better analyst than I, my brother, so I defer to you. I like your point about Upshaw sealing the edge; I wasn't thinking about that. Does Upshaw play on passing downs? And, related, does Dumvervil ONLY play on them?In any case, I think the D will be much more versatile than it has been recently.

It's easy to be cynical - at least for UH, roadkill, and me - but there is something very genuine and charming about all the pictures the Ravens are posting on Twitter right now of themselves touring the White House.

My son and I were listening to some sports talk radio in the car yesterday, and it both hit us at the same time how unlikely and downright fun it was for the Ravens to go on that Super Bowl run last year. It wasn't really their time to win one, and yet they put it all together. I tell myself that it's kind of like the Pats' win in 2001 - a fluky precursor to a more legitimate and sustained run a couple of years farther down the line. Hope so, anyway.

The Ravens got their SB rings last night at the Owings Mills complex. Knowing Bisciotti, 12 lb crab cakes & gallon jugs of Dom Perignon were appetizers.

In other news, apparently Upshaw is a fat slob.

The Ravens got their SB rings last night at the Owings Mills complex. Knowing Bisciotti, 12 lb crab cakes & gallon jugs of Dom Perignon were appetizers.

In other news, apparently Upshaw is a fat slob.
What's this about Upshaw? More, please.

And what did I recently hear -- that the last five Super Bowl winners have failed to win a playoff game in the ensuing year? Something's gotta give, seeing as how the Good Guys have won a playoff game every year since one Joe Flacco took over.

Saw a note scrolling on the NFLN the other day that Upshaw came in heavier than last year and that Harbaugh said he has bad eating habits. Me being Sherlock Holmes and all, I was able to deduce from those two items that the extra weight ain't muscle. I hope he gets his act together; he really played well the 2nd half of the season and the Ravens dearly need him in top form this year.

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/sports/ravens/ravens-harbaugh-candid-about-upshaw-s-weight-issues/article_d38812a6-cef6-11e2-909b-001a4bcf887a.html

OWINGS MILLS - Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh commended second-year outside linebacker Courtney Upshaw for his play Thursday, but Harbaugh was also candid about the weight issues that are plaguing Upshaw for the second straight offseason.

Upshaw, Baltimore’s top pick in last year’s NFL draft, has appeared noticeably heavier during the offseason and said this past weekend that he currently weighs 285 pounds. Upshaw dealt with weight-related issues as a rookie last year as well, but he ended up playing the season around 270 pounds.

“My first thought is that he is playing pretty well,” Harbaugh said of Upshaw. “That’s my first thought. He understands the defense exceptionally well. He’s working really hard, [but] Courtney’s weight issue – which he does need to lose some pounds – is that he doesn’t eat right.
“Courtney eats too much, and he doesn’t eat all the right foods. He knows that’s something that he’s going to have to get a handle on or he’s not going to be the best he can be. He’s aware of it. We have everybody in our building involved in it. He’ll be in fighting shape. I promise you that.”
Upshaw played in all 20 games as a rookie last season (including the playoffs) and made 11 starts. He had 55 tackles and 1.5 sacks during the regular season.
Baltimore did sign Pro Bowl outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil earlier this offseason, who is expected to start opposite Terrell Suggs ahead of Upshaw, but Upshaw, a highly regarded presence against the run, is still expected to play a significant role at outside linebacker.
“Me, I’ve got to drop a couple pounds and get ready for the season,” Upshaw said Sunday at teammate Lardarius Webb’s annual charity softball game. “My offseason has been kind of hectic. … I had a personal issue where I had to handle that. Right now, I’m trying to get back into football shape. … I’m feeling good. I’ve just got to look to good.”

Stop me if this sounds familiar -- Vonta Leach is shopping himself around the league and Jamison Hensley of ESPN (and formerly the Baltimore Sun) speculates that the Ravens' offer of $2 million, a million less than he was scheduled to make, might end up being the best offer Leach sees.

Life is cruel for NFL veterans.

Does anyone else believe the hype that Rice and Pierce may actually "split" carries this year, as being speculated by the Ravens.com website writer? How many touches do you see each of them getting in total? I have to think that Rice will still have 300+ total touches.

matttyl said:
Does anyone else believe the hype that Rice and Pierce may actually "split" carries this year, as being speculated by the Ravens.com website writer? How many touches do you see each of them getting in total? I have to think that Rice will still have 300+ total touches.
I think the carries may be divided something like 60/40, but Rice will be used much more heavily in the passing game.

roadkill1292 said:
Stop me if this sounds familiar -- Vonta Leach is shopping himself around the league and Jamison Hensley of ESPN (and formerly the Baltimore Sun) speculates that the Ravens' offer of $2 million, a million less than he was scheduled to make, might end up being the best offer Leach sees.

Life is cruel for NFL veterans.
Ouch. Any chance he comes back or are feelings a little too hurt?

With training camp starting for rookies yesterday and veterans reporting tomorrow, time to bump this thread up for another run at the title!

I'm surprised to hear how underestimated this year's team seems to be - Vegas set the o/u at 8.5 wins. I hit the over, which is now at -135. But people hear that Ray, Reed, Pollard, Boldin, Ellerbee and Kruger are gone and they seem to think the team has been stripped. I actually think the defense will be markedly better than last year's team, which was somewhere around 17th in yards allowed.

Suggs is back and apparently in great shape. Ngata is healthy, Webb is healthy (at least for now), they signed Dumervil, Huff and Canty, and drafted Elam and Arthur Brown. My bigger concerns are at WR2 and Center (along with questions about McKinnie at LT).

I feel like 10 wins are a lock, with the potential to win 12 or 13. Really, I just want to see them in the playoffs with at least 1 home game, and then anything can happen.

Very much excited to see how the defense shapes up - especially Suggs and Dumervil on the ends, and if they will really have a "downgrade" at MLB. Also interested in how Flacco responds to that big contract and if he can "make the WRs better", as that's what top QBs do.

I still haven't bought into Flacco. He looks pretty horrid at times. If he didn't win the superbowl last year, people would still be calling him average. I think Boldin made him look good. That guy would fight for every ball. I think him being gone will hurt the offense.

As far as defense, yeah a lot of the old guys are gone. Those guys were leaders though, so we'll see who steps up and see if they play with as much emotion as they have in the past.

I actually see the Bengals winning that division this year.

With training camp starting for rookies yesterday and veterans reporting tomorrow, time to bump this thread up for another run at the title!

I'm surprised to hear how underestimated this year's team seems to be - Vegas set the o/u at 8.5 wins. I hit the over, which is now at -135. But people hear that Ray, Reed, Pollard, Boldin, Ellerbee and Kruger are gone and they seem to think the team has been stripped. I actually think the defense will be markedly better than last year's team, which was somewhere around 17th in yards allowed.

Suggs is back and apparently in great shape. Ngata is healthy, Webb is healthy (at least for now), they signed Dumervil, Huff and Canty, and drafted Elam and Arthur Brown. My bigger concerns are at WR2 and Center (along with questions about McKinnie at LT).

I feel like 10 wins are a lock, with the potential to win 12 or 13. Really, I just want to see them in the playoffs with at least 1 home game, and then anything can happen.
You're a little more optimistic on the wins than I. With that schedule, I'm thinking right around 9 or 10 (see: your bigger concerns). Other than that, agree with everything you said.

The bigger mystery for me is: I've been trying for 10 years to figure out your avatar and I'm still stumped.

You're a little more optimistic on the wins than I. With that schedule, I'm thinking right around 9 or 10 (see: your bigger concerns). Other than that, agree with everything you said.

The bigger mystery for me is: I've been trying for 10 years to figure out your avatar and I'm still stumped.
Source of my avatar

Used to be a joke, back when I was running marathons. Based on my level of inactivity and weight gain over the last couple of years, it kind of hits a little too close to home right now.

How you been lately?

God, I haven't seen that clip in 35 years and had forgotten it.

I'm doing well, my friend.

So, how do we think the receiving corps shakes out? Even though I think the Ravens passing game can be effective using some kind of Smith/Rice/Pitta/Dickson/Jones mix-and-match, they still need someone else. Most seem to think it's Doss.

Glad to hear it, GB

I am worried about the WR2 position - it's reminding me of the Frank Sanders / Marcus Robinson / Randy Hymes / Clarence Moore scrap heap days.

On the one hand Boldin, only averaged 881 yards and 5 TDs per season in his 3 Ravens seasons. And even though people called Torrey Smith the WR2 last year, opponents were clearly treating him like the #1 guy - it was Denver's #1 CB Champ Bailey that was covering him (trying to, anyway) in last year's playoff game. But I still think WR2 is going to be a rotating cast of fail this year.

I'm hearing they like Deonte Thompson - the undrafted rookie who made the team last year out of Florida. He has 4.2 speed, but the fact he was undrafted means he's a scrap heap guy until proven otherwise. Doss has the size of a possession WR, but he drops way too many balls for my liking and never seems to get open.

I think Pitta is the guy who puts up bigger numbers this year. And I really, really like Torrey Smith. With CBs having to respect his speed and Flacco's arm strength, I feel like he's going to be open on comeback and out routes all season long.

I'm really, really looking forward to this season because I'm fascinated and impressed with what the Ravens did with their roster. Rather than stand pat because they won the Super Bowl, it's like they ignored the season's final outcome and focused on addressing what they had identified as their own deficiencies. I think the defense is going to be way, way better than last year's. It kind of cracks me up - people were saying all during the playoffs that the Ravens were old and slow on D (which they were). Now they've gotten rid of the old and slow guys, and suddenly people are talking about all the veterans they lost.

I also love what I'm hearing about Suggs, that he is in incredible shape. I doubt he would ever say it, but I think he plans to assume the mantle of leadership from Ray -- not in the loud theatrical stuff, which was the least of Ray's leadership -- but in the example of preparing and playing as hard as possible. He's always been in the shadow of Ray and now it's his chance to be the guy. The next 2 or 3 years will determine whether he's a Hall of Fame candidate, or just a very good player. Also hearing very good things about Jimmy Smith and new ILB Darryl Smith, Jacksonville's all-time franchise leader in tackles.

The_Man said:
Glad to hear it, GB

I am worried about the WR2 position - it's reminding me of the Frank Sanders / Marcus Robinson / Randy Hymes / Clarence Moore scrap heap days.

On the one hand Boldin, only averaged 881 yards and 5 TDs per season in his 3 Ravens seasons. And even though people called Torrey Smith the WR2 last year, opponents were clearly treating him like the #1 guy - it was Denver's #1 CB Champ Bailey that was covering him (trying to, anyway) in last year's playoff game. But I still think WR2 is going to be a rotating cast of fail this year.

I'm hearing they like Deonte Thompson - the undrafted rookie who made the team last year out of Florida. He has 4.2 speed, but the fact he was undrafted means he's a scrap heap guy until proven otherwise. Doss has the size of a possession WR, but he drops way too many balls for my liking and never seems to get open.

I think Pitta is the guy who puts up bigger numbers this year. And I really, really like Torrey Smith. With CBs having to respect his speed and Flacco's arm strength, I feel like he's going to be open on comeback and out routes all season long.

I'm really, really looking forward to this season because I'm fascinated and impressed with what the Ravens did with their roster. Rather than stand pat because they won the Super Bowl, it's like they ignored the season's final outcome and focused on addressing what they had identified as their own deficiencies. I think the defense is going to be way, way better than last year's. It kind of cracks me up - people were saying all during the playoffs that the Ravens were old and slow on D (which they were). Now they've gotten rid of the old and slow guys, and suddenly people are talking about all the veterans they lost.

I also love what I'm hearing about Suggs, that he is in incredible shape. I doubt he would ever say it, but I think he plans to assume the mantle of leadership from Ray -- not in the loud theatrical stuff, which was the least of Ray's leadership -- but in the example of preparing and playing as hard as possible. He's always been in the shadow of Ray and now it's his chance to be the guy. The next 2 or 3 years will determine whether he's a Hall of Fame candidate, or just a very good player. Also hearing very good things about Jimmy Smith and new ILB Darryl Smith, Jacksonville's all-time franchise leader in tackles.
The_Man said:
Glad to hear it, GB

Sanders/Robinson/Hymes/Moore gives me shudders.

I'm with you in thinking Torrey Smith is better than folks think. He gets handcuffed to Heyward-Bey all the time and it drives me ####### crazy. Both played at MD and both are fast. Here are the differences:

DHB is - God bless him - not the sharpest tool in the box. Smith graduated in 3 years coming out of an absolutely horrific upbringing. I don't care if he majored in basket-weaving (he didn't) - that's a damned fine accomplishment.

DHB is a classic "track guy playing WR". Smith ain't. He's a football player who's fast. Just because he's not Jerry Rice doesn't mean he's DHB.

Smith CAN run patterns. Which of the "I used Champ" patterns (to cite the most recent examples) should I link? DHB doing that?

Smith's hand are fine for an NFL WR. He's not Boldin and probably will never be, but he's closer to Anquan than Darrius.

Also, I'm reading some things saying the Ravens secret-weapon-steal-of-the-offseason was Daryl Smith. If that's true, and McClain comes back healthy, that D is going to be nasty.

Lovely. Pitta done. Didn't Jamal Lewis wreck his knee a day or two into TC the last time the Ravens won the SB?

good call. I watched the Jamal injury on "Hard Knocks" so often and in slow motion like it was the Zapruder film. That injury happened when Mike Flynn was too slow to block some undrafted rookie free agent DL, so then he cut him from behind and the guy fell on Jamal's knee. Turned out there was a reason "the guy" was too good for Flynn to block - it was Kelly Gregg - but I never liked Flynn before that and liked him even less afterward.

Huge huge loss. I am not a big Dickson fan. Bigger and faster than Pitta, but can't use his speed to get open often, and seems to drop the ball all the time when it does come his way

good call. I watched the Jamal injury on "Hard Knocks" so often and in slow motion like it was the Zapruder film. That injury happened when Mike Flynn was too slow to block some undrafted rookie free agent DL, so then he cut him from behind and the guy fell on Jamal's knee. Turned out there was a reason "the guy" was too good for Flynn to block - it was Kelly Gregg - but I never liked Flynn before that and liked him even less afterward.

Huge huge loss. I am not a big Dickson fan. Bigger and faster than Pitta, but can't use his speed to get open often, and seems to drop the ball all the time when it does come his way
Dickson has hands of stone. He does, however, kinda/sorta flip the stereotype of white/black athletes. He's faster than Pitta, yes, but is a MUCH better blocker - Pitta couldn't block MY old ### if I had both feet amputated.

Not sure where the Ravens go now. I thought, before Pitta going down, they could mix-and-match what they had to have a passable (hah!) throwing game. Barring a major trde (which never happens in the NFL), I guess Ray Rice better get ready for 600 snaps.

Congrats to Big Jon Ogden going into the HOF tonight. His will probably be the most boring speech of the seven just going by the way he carries himself. I have no idea how good he was as OL are really hard to quantify, so I'll defer to the guys who voted him into the Pro Bowl a gazillion years in a row. I know this, though - he pancaked those very same voters over & over again. Never heard a bad thing said about him.

I shudder to think what the state of the franchise would've been had the Ravens selected Lawrence Phillips instead of Ogden.

So, thoughts on the game the other night?

I think I saw one series by each team before I fell asleep :bag:

I was more interested in seeing the defense than the offense and I wasn't disappointed watching that single drive. That front is going to be nasty. They are ALL massive men. Adding Canty & Spears is going to be a godsend to Ngata. I wasn't able to really see who/what happened at LB & DB. They appeared to be swarming to the ball - something that's been missing a little the last few years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread