What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** OFFICIAL ** Cleveland Guardians thread - spring training (1 Viewer)

Pitching depth is outstanding right now - just loaded with talent.  If they can stay healthy, that alone will help out in the W column.

EE was a big signing that was needed to replace Napoli.  I'd like to see Yandy make it to the big league as the utility guy, coupled with the possible return of Dr Smooth would make this offense very promising to build upon a great 2016.

Heard the Tribe was sniffing around Utley, and that he is only looking to sign with contenders....Would he be worth looking at for a utility/bench player?  Seems like he could be this year's Uribe/Crisp?  I'd rather have the younger talent (with the "something to prove" attitude) in the lineup, but I'm not sure I'd pass on Utley if the price were right.

Kipnis to miss opening day with sore shoulder. :hot:

Given the fact that Kipnis was supposed to be given a cortisone shot, sat for less than a week and be “raring to go” when he got returned, I’m going to either flat-out call bull #### on that statement or I’m concerned the Cleveland Indians’ medical staff severely underestimated the injury to begin with.
Once again, it appears the Tribe are underselling an injury. :hot:  

Was out in AZ last week.  85 and sunny for 4 straight days.  If you've never been to Spring Training put it on your list ASAP.

Stay in/around Scottsdale.  Awesome town.

And the chicks in the Entertainment District :shock: :shock:  .

Good stuff.

Kipnis out another 4-5 WEEKS. :wall: :wall:  

I’m not suggesting that the average fan with a cell phone and internet access is a better source for the actual severity of a player's injury or front office decision making. What I am suggesting is that the team’s recent track record of revising an original diagnosis from minor to months is overwhelming. At this point it could turn out that Tyler Naquin completely tore his ACL, MCL, PCL, LCL, and his ACLU and I’d think to myself, “Yeah, that’s about right.”
Pretty much.  

Brantley going 2 for 3 yesterday and playing LF in ST is a good sign.  I didn't really count on him participating this year, so if he can it's a bonus.

Question will be who covers 2B with Kip out.  Slide JRam over with Diaz/Urshela on 3B?  Keep JRam at 3B and put EGon at 2B?  

Brantley going 2 for 3 yesterday and playing LF in ST is a good sign.  I didn't really count on him participating this year, so if he can it's a bonus.

Question will be who covers 2B with Kip out.  Slide JRam over with Diaz/Urshela on 3B?  Keep JRam at 3B and put EGon at 2B?  
What I think the Tribe will do:

Even though his bat is impressive, Diaz will start in the minors because of his defense.  They'll justify it that way and kind of already have.  Then, they'll play JRam at both 2B and 3B with Urshella at 3B and Gonzalez at 2B depending on where JRam is.  If Urshella is hitting, they'll go with him and JRam 5-6 times a week.  

If Michael Martinez makes this team I'm going to ask for a tryout.

Couldn't agree more!  He doesn't look like he fits in on this team.  I get that he's supposed to be a Utility IF, but cmon.  Everytime I see him take the field or pick up a bat, I cringe.  

Couldn't agree more!  He doesn't look like he fits in on this team.  I get that he's supposed to be a Utility IF, but cmon.  Everytime I see him take the field or pick up a bat, I cringe.  
I know...isn't he like 35 years old?  I thought he was more like 25 years old, then we lost him on waivers or whatever to Boston last year (before he came back again), and heard he was older.  Can't imagine he's the best util player out there that we can find or within our system.

I know...isn't he like 35 years old?  I thought he was more like 25 years old, then we lost him on waivers or whatever to Boston last year (before he came back again), and heard he was older.  Can't imagine he's the best util player out there that we can find or within our system.
He'll always be tied to the 10th inning of Game 7, for me.  All the excitement of the game.  The various lead changes.  Cleveland fighting back to be within one run, and a man on base.  Bottom of the 10th, 2 outs...and who do we send out?  Michael "freakin" Martinez!?!?!  All the excitement and optimism I had about Cleveland winning that game left in a gust of wind as I saw him walk up with bat in hand.  Send up anyone, someone other than MM!  Ugh!!   :rant: :wall: :yucky:

Diaz has been working on the back fields at the Indians' complex with third-base coach and infield instructor Mike Sarbaugh, like a student cramming for an exam, to earn an Opening Day roster spot as a third baseman, MLB.com's Jordan Bastian reports.

Spin: 
With Jason Kipnis (shoulder) likely to miss the beginning of the season, starting third baseman Jose Ramirez may be pushed across the diamond to fill the hole. Diaz is looking to capitalize on the opening at the hot corner to ensure his place on the 25-man roster. 

I think the offense Diaz provides will help push him onto the roster.  I don't see Urshela as a solid 3B right now (tried that last year and it failed).  If Diaz can keep getting work in and showing improvement at 3B, I can see him catching on until Kip returns, and then move into the OF platoon.

What is the timeline on Kip?
Most likely start season on DL with return in May

From http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/221053860/opening-day-absences-injuries-mlb

Kipnis has been dealing with a strained right rotator cuff since reporting to camp and has appeared in just two Cactus League games, both as a designated hitter, back on March 9 and 10. As of Saturday, he was doing light throwing and taking swings in the batting cage, but he is expected to miss most of April and could be out into May if the joint is slow to heal. A key everyday player on both sides of the ball for the defending American League champions, Kipnis will create a glaring hole in Cleveland's lineup that the team has no easy way to plug. The current plan is to move Jose Ramirez to second, while candidates to fill the resulting hole a third include Erik Gonzalez and Giovanny Urshela or non-roster invitees Richie Shaffer, Michael Martinez or Yandy Diaz.
From http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/mlb/5841/jason-kipnis

Jason Kipnis (shoulder) took swings in the batting cage on Saturday.
He also did some light throwing. Despite the progress he's made, Kipnis is fully expected to begin the year on the disabled list and could miss an additional 3-4 weeks after that. With Kipnis on the shelf, Jose Ramirez will handle second base for the Tribe. Mar 25 - 6:46 PM

What I think the Tribe will do:

Even though his bat is impressive, Diaz will start in the minors because of his defense.  They'll justify it that way and kind of already have.  Then, they'll play JRam at both 2B and 3B with Urshella at 3B and Gonzalez at 2B depending on where JRam is.  If Urshella is hitting, they'll go with him and JRam 5-6 times a week.  

Incorrect

Yandy makes the team!!

But on the flipside, so did MM.  Guess you have to take the good (Yandy) with the bad (MM).
MM gets no love. Yeah, he stinks but holding it against him that he made the final out of the World Series against him seems harsh. 

MM gets no love. Yeah, he stinks but holding it against him that he made the final out of the World Series against him seems harsh. 
I like the guy when he's on the bases.  I don't mind him being used sparingly in the field.  I just don't think he's that good of a hitter.  It wasn't even the last AB in Game 7, it's every time I see him at the plate.  I thought this long before the WS.  He just doesn't inspire confidence that he'll get a hit.  You look at any other player at the plate and think he'll get a hit (or in the case of Guyer, get hit) and the team can make something of it.  But every time I see MM, I think "there's another out".  Not holding a single play against him, but more of what I've seen of him over a long period of time.

I like the guy when he's on the bases.  I don't mind him being used sparingly in the field.  I just don't think he's that good of a hitter.  It wasn't even the last AB in Game 7, it's every time I see him at the plate.  I thought this long before the WS.  He just doesn't inspire confidence that he'll get a hit.  You look at any other player at the plate and think he'll get a hit (or in the case of Guyer, get hit) and the team can make something of it.  But every time I see MM, I think "there's another out".  Not holding a single play against him, but more of what I've seen of him over a long period of time.
And yet Tito loves him. :wall:  

Have a bad feeling Napoli will hit a game winning bomb tonight. I'll learn to like him, but Encarnacion has always annoyed the #### out of me.

Have a bad feeling Napoli will hit a game winning bomb tonight. I'll learn to like him, but Encarnacion has always annoyed the #### out of me.
I like Napoli, and respect Encarnacion...but I can't stand Bautista.  Just one guy that always gets under my nerves every time I see him on TV.

I heard Santana was getting time in the OF during Spring Training and I couldn't figure out why (besides the fact that Brantley was still a question mark and Chiz was dinged).  Just realized we play at Arizona next.  I assume he'll be in the OF for at least a couple games.  Good for fantasy purposes as well.   :thumbup:

Maybe Guyer/Jackson/Almonte platter could work out :shrug: Guyer also made a fantastic catch to start the game. Anything from those dudes, and this team could be scary.

Keep us informed!  He's going to be a good one to follow.
He made his debut last night. I couldn't watch as closely as I'd have liked (finally a good weather game, so it was a big turn out). Results were great (5.2 IP, 5K, 2BB, 1R). Good command of the fastball. It wasn't lighting up the radar gun or anything, sitting 89-91 most of the time. He was getting a bunch of swing and misses with the curveball.

This Yu-Cheng Chang kid is off to an impressive start at Akron. 
.417 average with a double, 3 homers and 7 rbi's in 4 games. 0-3 with 3 strikeouts last game though.

ETA: 2019

Last edited by a moderator:
This Yu-Cheng Chang kid is off to an impressive start at Akron. 
.417 average with a double, 3 homers and 7 rbi's in 4 games. 0-3 with 3 strikeouts last game though.

ETA: 2019
He was my favorite player on a loaded High-A team here last year (4 of CLE's current top 10 prospects played most of the year on it, not including Santander who may very well end up being the best of them all, outside of Mejia. Not including Justus Sheffield and Julian Merryweather either). I miss that ####### team already. Yu does it all, plus he has the greatest walk-up song in history for a raucous crowd. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Indians home openers -

The Indians have thrown 9 shutouts, most recently April 19, 1990. The Tribe has been shutout 8 times in home openers, most recently April 15, 1958. 

Every now and then I'm disappointed that I can't watch the tribe down in Reds country.  The games are on every now and then, but mainly I just check MLB Tonight or QuickPitch to catch the highlights.  This last series against the White Sox, I'm glad I couldn't watch it.  Ooof it looked bad, just from the highlights.  Cookie and Danny seemed to pitch well, but where was the offense?  Yandy looked good at 3B on one night, and I heard he was not so good last night.  And what happened to our bullpen?  Why was MM out there tossing up meatballs in the 9th inning?!?  That's great that he threw a scoreless inning, but he looked like a fan throwing out the first pitch of the game.  Ugh...Good to see Lonnie back.  Optioning Naquin was interesting.  How soon until Kipnis returns?  Just his presence at 2B will help defensively, as JRam goes back to 3B.

Users who are viewing this thread